Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

NeurosisHead posted:

There's a mage staff schematic later that is a melee staff using greatsword animations with an elemental lightsaber blade and it owns for KE

That's the prismatic staff or something, right? On my last playthrough I played that drat Trespasser fireworks minigame for so long to win the schematic. Unfortunately that was on Xbox, and this is my first PS4 run, so no NG+ benefits for me. I did craft the Blade of Tidarion which is also a sword-hilt melee staff, but I haven't been using it because I immediately found a unique staff that was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

chaosapiant posted:

I’m a good 40 hours into my new DA:I play through, and this really is my fave game in the series.

Yes, I am replaying now as well, though I have already replayed it an embarrassing number of times (which I could never manage with TW3, too much is the same in each playthrough).

I am finding being called 'Ser' very grating this time, though; I think Trump's 'Sir' stories have made it extra-annoying.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Oh dear me posted:

Yes, I am replaying now as well, though I have already replayed it an embarrassing number of times (which I could never manage with TW3, too much is the same in each playthrough).

I am finding being called 'Ser' very grating this time, though; I think Trump's 'Sir' stories have made it extra-annoying.

"And Horsemaster Dennett shook my hand, and practically wept as he said to me 'Sir, you've done more for the Hinterlands than anyone in the history of Ferelden.'"

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

ShakeZula posted:

"And Horsemaster Dennett shook my hand, and practically wept as he said to me 'Sir, you've done more for the Hinterlands than anyone in the history of Ferelden.'"
Kinda mad that this made me chuckle out loud.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
https://venturebeat.com/2020/09/25/mass-effect-legendary-edition-is-still-coming-but-not-this-year/

quote:

But one aspect those fans won’t get to experience regardless of how much time BioWare gets is the multiplayer. EA doesn’t plan to include the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer in this package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJrxxnBWPdI

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh well, nevermind then.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Why spend all this time making it if they're just going to fuckin' waste it all. Stupid rear end EA.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Huh, that seems like a weird call given how popular and successful ME3's multiplayer was.
What would even be the "investment" the article hints at? Code & assets for it should still be around. Matchmaking servers for the original ME3 are still up as far as I know and there hasn't been any word that's getting shut down.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Raygereio posted:

Huh, that seems like a weird call given how popular and successful ME3's multiplayer was.
What would even be the "investment" the article hints at? Code & assets for it should still be around. Matchmaking servers for the original ME3 are still up as far as I know and there hasn't been any word that's getting shut down.

Getting the VAs back in to record new dialogue, possibly.

My dream that almost certainly won't happen would be more LGBT romance options.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Getting the VAs back in to record new dialogue, possibly.
I don't know. Enemy grunts & barks would be the same for singleplayer. And having one or two voice actors record some MP specific stuff like "Go to the objective" or whatever is not going to be noticeable in the voice over budget if they are going rerecord all dialogue for the Legendary Edition.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Non-zero chance of a new ending?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

All the article talks about is them potentially revamping ME1's visuals and gameplay. Nothing about new voice lines or any changes to ME2/3 whatsoever.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

Non-zero chance of a new ending?

They already did one. They're not doing two.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Shirkelton posted:

They already did one. They're not doing two.

Probably not. I just think that a bloodless corporation trying to revitalize the Mass Effect #brand would go with the announce new ending/direct sequel move

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It would probably cost significantly more than the return.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Shirkelton posted:

It would probably cost significantly more than the return.

Could be! Maybe also why they’re not doing the multiplayer

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The bulk of the work is already done there, though and they already have a successful monetization program in place, I mean, aside from the client-side cheating stuff, but that's not an overly complicated fix.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The ending was fine, and there's no changing anyone's whose mind is made up about it now. Too much time has passed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ME1 still plays and looks fine. I’m curious what they’ll do with it, but I still play and love that game. Plus on PC all three games still look great mostly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The inventory management could probably stand to be reworked -- cut down the number of total item tiers by half with less frequent, more powerful drops so that you're not standing there converting everything to omni-gel every 20 minutes. Anything beyond that would probably require a total remake of the combat since ME1 did not really have a functional cover system like the sequels did. The textures, even on PC, are also quite low-res in the base game compared to ME2.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
IIRC ME1 never had more than like five enemies on screen at once ‘cause the engine would explode otherwise

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

PC had quite a few texture bugs as well that had to be fixed with mods.

If they're not going to remake ME1, though, just re-release it as is, if you're fine with ME1 in it's state now, trimming around the edges won't make much difference to you.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

exquisite tea posted:

The inventory management could probably stand to be reworked -- cut down the number of total item tiers by half with less frequent, more powerful drops so that you're not standing there converting everything to omni-gel every 20 minutes. Anything beyond that would probably require a total remake of the combat since ME1 did not really have a functional cover system like the sequels did. The textures, even on PC, are also quite low-res in the base game compared to ME2.

That's always been a weird complaint to me, ME1 has a full cover system and it works fine. I prefer the button-tap-to-cover of the sequels, but never had an issue using and taking advantage of cover in ME1.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

That's always been a weird complaint to me, ME1 has a full cover system and it works fine. I prefer the button-tap-to-cover of the sequels, but never had an issue using and taking advantage of cover in ME1.

It feels really bad and unless you're level ten or so or under it's completely useless.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

chaosapiant posted:

I wasn't going to argue the game looking or playing good because hey that's just a matter of opinion y'know I don't agree but I understand

but the ME1 cover system sucking is not a matter of opinion it is absolutely terrible

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I started replaying me3 with some mods. There's one that supposedly improves the final mission, one for deleting the bad ending, and another that sends you to Citadel DLC immediately after for an epilogue. Should be interesting

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

VostokProgram posted:

I started replaying me3 with some mods. There's one that supposedly improves the final mission, one for deleting the bad ending, and another that sends you to Citadel DLC immediately after for an epilogue. Should be interesting

Yeah I mean that's basically my ideal ending fix anyway. That mod that cuts out anything with the stupid kid, so the last scene is talking with Anderson on the Citadel, then you get the destroy sequence because it's the entire point of the last 2 games is stop the Reapers, skip all the dumb poo poo about the relays exploding and whatever, tease Shep living. Cut to Citadel which is the real ending anyway. :colbert:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Eimi posted:

Yeah I mean that's basically my ideal ending fix anyway. That mod that cuts out anything with the stupid kid, so the last scene is talking with Anderson on the Citadel

I would want the scene removed where the Normandy evacuates your wounded companions at the position an army has died for you to reach, showing that apparently you could just have flown there the whole time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Oh dear me posted:

I would want the scene removed where the Normandy evacuates your wounded companions at the position an army has died for you to reach, showing that apparently you could just have flown there the whole time.

to be fair, maybe the only reason the normandy could get there is because that army secured the area first. Or at least got rid of the AA weapons

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

VostokProgram posted:

to be fair, maybe the only reason the normandy could get there is because that army secured the area first. Or at least got rid of the AA weapons

You're still halting your suicide charge for the fate of the galaxy to evac the wounded.

It seriously fucks with the pacing of the one good bit in that finale.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
The Normandy flies down *right in front of Harbinger* who has been nuking individual soldiers with his eye beams, and the only time he even looks at it is when it *flies away*

It’s an extraordinarily stupid scene

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m playing Dragon Age Inquisition again. This game definitely has way too much poo poo to do, but I’m broke brained so I’m doing everything I can before progressing. I know that’s objectively the wrong way to play for most people but I really enjoyed this game and the revisit hasn’t dwindled my opinion.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Cut out starkid, put in Harbinger confrontation instead, and the ending goes from really bad to borderline acceptable.

To this day I cannot understand why Harbinger was built up for an entire game and then didn't have a single line of dialogue.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

IIRC ME1 never had more than like five enemies on screen at once ‘cause the engine would explode otherwise
It wasn't quite that bad, but Bioware's first foray with the Unreal engine was a bit of a disaster tech / performance wise. The presidium area in particular was apparently an absolute nightmare to get working.

Also if you play ME1 with a post 2011 AMD CPU you'd get graphical artifacts (your squad would turn into black blobs) in two areas. Some wizard who reversed engineered the problem came to the conclusion that the engine was too sensitive to imprecise calculations when it uses the AMD's SSE2 instruction set. I'm not going to blame Bioware too much for issues with a CPU architecture that would be released 4 years after the game. But it's still some :psyduck: programming.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 27, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Beefstew posted:

To this day I cannot understand why Harbinger was built up for an entire game and then didn't have a single line of dialogue.

There's a very simple reason: EA wanted people to be able to jump into ME3 as their first game in the series and not feel like they were missing anything for not having played the previous games in the series.

EA was deeply opposed to ME3 doing too much with being a sequel, much less being some kind of grand culmination of the series.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Cythereal posted:

There's a very simple reason: EA wanted people to be able to jump into ME3 as their first game in the series and not feel like they were missing anything for not having played the previous games in the series.

EA was deeply opposed to ME3 doing too much with being a sequel, much less being some kind of grand culmination of the series.

But that doesn't explain literally anything. What about the genophage conflict, the geth vs quarians, the party dynamics, Cerberus, all heavily based on continuity.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Beefstew posted:

But that doesn't explain literally anything. What about the genophage conflict, the geth vs quarians, the party dynamics, Cerberus, all heavily based on continuity.
That's because EA never did that.
If I recall right, that dumb theory got started from a preview article back in the day where it said James Vega was intended to be the perspective of a new player coming to the franchise. And the internet being the silly place that it is, that got warped into EA making all kinds of dumb demands from Bioware's writers.
If EA actually micromanaged Bioware to that level you would think they would have prevented Bioware from making an ending that torched the setting and made Mass Effect as an intellectual property practically unusable.

For whatever reason, Bioware decided the Reapers needed to take a backseat to Cerberus. Maybe Mac Walters really loving loved the Illusive Man. And with Karpyshyn have moved on to the TOR MMO, Walters was free to indulge in all things Cerberus. Who knows.
ME3's story has a lot of spots where you're just left wondering what the gently caress the writers were thinking. But since the ending of the game overshadowed everything else, we never got any real retrospectives on that. Ultimately, most of the series' problems probably come from the Mass Effect dev team not having any clue what to do with the story after ME1, or what to do with the Reapers as antagonists the player directly interacts with.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 27, 2020

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

That's also why Mass Effect 2 is the best - it took the stuff people liked (character poo poo, setting, worldbuilding, fun and sometimes goofy space adventures) and just pushed that to the center. The plot was connected to the main series, but people have been quick to criticize that it doesn't feel as important as the others in the grand scheme of things. Which is true, but honestly, I think that helped it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Beefstew posted:

Cut out starkid, put in Harbinger confrontation instead, and the ending goes from really bad to borderline acceptable.

Harbinger is a nobody, in the cosmic scheme of things.

Everyone is a nobody, in the cosmic scheme of things. Rudimentary things of blood and flesh, fumbling in ignorance, seeking closure and happy endings where none are ultimately to be had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The ending was trash, and there's no changing anyone's whose mind is made up about it now. Too much time has passed.