Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I like Inquisition. I would love it if the tactics menu wasn't gutted and the tactical camera wasn't so unwieldy to use.

Hopefully the love people have for PoE and Baldurs Gate 3 will apply positive pressure on DA4 game design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
DAI has some fantastic varied landscapes but not much to put in them. I guess much like WoW.

Inquisition is a weird game, there's plenty of good stuff in there and Trespasser is genuinely great. I don't know if they're able to repeat that level of quality, but if they can produce a game based on the Trespasser gameplay design then it would be pretty much perfect.

Hopefully the switch to single-player will mean it can be modded easily.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ginette Reno posted:

I wouldn't say Inquisition was a masterpiece but it was a solid enough game. I dunno if I'd call it a dumpster fire. Way too much bloat though.

I hope they go back to more of a DA:O type model where there's hub areas with detailed quests and storylines and not as much open world poo poo.

I actually liked the open world, they just need to have stuff to do in it. Some decent sidequests would go a long way. I don't even mind the occasional bear rear end quest for quick xp (as long as it's quick or gives you a proportionate reward if it takes longer than 3 minutes to do). One of the best parts of DAI is roaming around and hearing your squadmates talk poo poo to one another. That and finding the odd easter egg or weird thing out in the world. Like the gnome hat or that cave in EG with all the heads mounted in it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Doesn’t that tweet mean that DA4 just got rebooted... again? lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

I actually liked the open world, they just need to have stuff to do in it. Some decent sidequests would go a long way. I don't even mind the occasional bear rear end quest for quick xp (as long as it's quick or gives you a proportionate reward if it takes longer than 3 minutes to do). One of the best parts of DAI is roaming around and hearing your squadmates talk poo poo to one another. That and finding the odd easter egg or weird thing out in the world. Like the gnome hat or that cave in EG with all the heads mounted in it.

The open world had a ton of problems from each of the little maps having various levels of traversal difficulties including multiple vertical levels and paths that on the map were not remotely clear. You'd explore but it really felt like there was nothing worth finding. Witcher 3 had the same problem in that all the hidden loot stuff was mostly vendor trash but you at least had a massive amount of side quests and missions to do that all had some level of charm to them.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1365005940739743745

best news i have heard in awhile. bodes well for new mass effect too.

jesus loving christ

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Lol 7 years in and it just got rebooted again. How long was Duke Forever in development? We might have a new king

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

pentyne posted:

The open world had a ton of problems from each of the little maps having various levels of traversal difficulties including multiple vertical levels and paths that on the map were not remotely clear. You'd explore but it really felt like there was nothing worth finding. Witcher 3 had the same problem in that all the hidden loot stuff was mostly vendor trash but you at least had a massive amount of side quests and missions to do that all had some level of charm to them.

Crafting ruins rpgs because like I shouldn't be out there collecting herbs or tediously mining iron for the best weapon, it should come from quests or dungeon diving. :argh:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I like collecting herbs. I was so happy when I played Morrowind and discovered there was a flower-picking quest. It's just a shame Dragon Age didn't do anything interesting with the herbs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

A lot of the open world stuff in DA:I would have like one or two actual quests in the areas they were in and those were generally interesting enough but yeah there was definitely too much mmo type stuff.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Somehow I'm surprised that they were actually going to go through with it and make DA4 into a live service game. I know that was the rumor but I still thought they'd be desperate enough for a win to not go for the obviously greedy, stupid, unpopular decision. Christ, what a bullet we dodged there.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Smol posted:

lol yeah it's not good news. Like I said DA4 and ME4 are not games anyone will ever play.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What the hell is wrong with EA lmfao oh my loving god

corpo suits at the tops of the big publishers and devs love to chase trends and poo poo. alot of them want their game to be destiny but the backlash against that stuff has made them realizing chasing SP games again might be worth it.

Smol posted:

i don't think it does. i wouldnt be shocked if this was handed down like in 2019 or early 2020 and they just sat on it since then.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
A lot of suits seem to forget that Activision didn't even deem the Destiny, posterchild for GAAS, a full success and they released the publishing rights a couple years earlier than originally planned. I would argue the way Apex Legends became successful was precisely because it wasn't advertised, it just came out as a surprise. If there were months of ads pushing a new f2p Battle Royale from EA leading up to its release, the game would have never been given a chance.

In any case, I'm glad DA4 is not going the live services route anymore but I worry if it's too late, a lot of the talent has left already.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not sure how y’all think it’s been rebooted with that post. It just means they’re able to focus all their effort on what they were already working on without a gaas leash.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AngryBooch posted:

A lot of suits seem to forget that Activision didn't even deem the Destiny, posterchild for GAAS, a full success and they released the publishing rights a couple years earlier than originally planned. I would argue the way Apex Legends became successful was precisely because it wasn't advertised, it just came out as a surprise. If there were months of ads pushing a new f2p Battle Royale from EA leading up to its release, the game would have never been given a chance.

In any case, I'm glad DA4 is not going the live services route anymore but I worry if it's too late, a lot of the talent has left already.

i suspect Apex is also another reason why they arnt forcing GAAS poo poo on bioware, because it fills that market hard and makes gently caress tons of money. EA found their golden ticket with APEX so they can just milk that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

chaosapiant posted:

Not sure how y’all think it’s been rebooted with that post. It just means they’re able to focus all their effort on what they were already working on without a gaas leash.

If it was built with the idea of games as a service(tm) then that design will stay around even after they pull it, the only way to really strip it out is to redesign without all the baggage that comes with trying to constantly sell you stuff and playing mind games with the customer to try and keep them logging in.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

If it was built with the idea of games as a service(tm) then that design will stay around even after they pull it, the only way to really strip it out is to redesign without all the baggage that comes with trying to constantly sell you stuff and playing mind games with the customer to try and keep them logging in.
Yup.
Though the DA team had nothing to show last year. So it's possible the game was not in full production.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I kinda think the announcement is a bad sign, in that how can you design a live service game and then just pivot it into a single player RPG?

It just smacks of the kind of techy project management style of doing things that has given us so many awful games recently.

It is like when you learn that this or that Hollywood blockbuster is awful because the script was rewritten five times by 10 different lead writers, all during filming. You might well claim that that's just how the industry works, but the industry is not producing a good product.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

I kinda think the announcement is a bad sign
It's definitely a bad look for Bioware's project management and how the studio is functioning at the management level. Though honestly that has been poo poo since before the EA acquisition and just never got fixed.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Strategic Tea posted:

I kinda think the announcement is a bad sign, in that how can you design a live service game and then just pivot it into a single player RPG?

I’m still convinced this is what happened with Inquisition, so...

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Bioware has consistently had a thing where they believe that the project they are working on will come together ~magically~ instead of developing proper management practices.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Admiral Ray posted:

Bioware has consistently had a thing where they believe that the project they are working on will come together ~magically~ instead of developing proper management practices.

This is a common thing in AAA studios I guess?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Is there a way to get the pc version of Inquisition to consistently recognize a controller is connected? It only working part of the time and it’s frustrating restarting the game to see if I got lucky whenever I want to play.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I think your controller is broken, friend.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If it's not broken try DS4Windows. That usually solve controller issues in games.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I never had any problems getting the controller detected (using an Xbox controller)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm playing through ME2 right now (for the fun of it) and I had consistent issues with my controller up until I started closing Steam before launching ME2 from Origins. Something about my controller profile in Steam would disconnect my controller from the game seemingly at random. 0 issues after keeping steam closed down while gaming.

No idea if that will help you.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zikan posted:

Is there a way to get the pc version of Inquisition to consistently recognize a controller is connected? It only working part of the time and it’s frustrating restarting the game to see if I got lucky whenever I want to play.

Do you have any other joystick connected, like a HOTAS? If so, unplug it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Using steam big picture I had to plug the controller in before starting, AND manually enable it in the menu, then it worked

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

yeah that was ~3-4 years of dithering on Anthem, then a 2 year sprint to try and ship it (of which they shipped a prior version with a ton of bugs by accident).

There's also their reverence for the ~writers~ to the point where it's all hushed whispers and excitement if Big Name Writer shows up to work, but if they aren't writing complementary to how the dev team is designing then it's just a ton of lore that will get shoved into a codex or pop up that people ignore.

And there was a mention of the dev teams playing around with a bunch of different prototypes to "find the fun" for the eventual final product that cost a ton of time.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Shugojin posted:

This is a common thing in AAA studios I guess?

People don't really realize that a lot of those exposé from Jason Schreier are usually highlighting problems that are endemic at a lot of studios.

EDIT: To be clear, this is not a defense of BioWare's management or the amount of crunch devs had to put into their recent and less recent projects.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crunch culture that's endemic to basically every AAA game studio these days leads to mass employee attrition following the release of a game. The company gains more prestige and clout so the hell of development is instantly forgotten, even though much of the talent responsible for creating that product is now gone. Company goes bigger and better for the next release with increasingly fewer talented or experienced personnel because they've churned through all of them in a matter of a few years. Saw it many times over with Bioware, seeing it with CDPR, who's next basically.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Crunch culture that's endemic to basically every AAA game studio these days leads to mass employee attrition following the release of a game. The company gains more prestige and clout so the hell of development is instantly forgotten, even though much of the talent responsible for creating that product is now gone. Company goes bigger and better for the next release with increasingly fewer talented or experienced personnel because they've churned through all of them in a matter of a few years. Saw it many times over with Bioware, seeing it with CDPR, who's next basically.

There's a question of which causes which. Crunch time is required to make AAA games, or bad project management for years leads to crunch time to make AAA games. Or possibly both depending on the studio.

Bioware and CDPR both had the thing where the development "started" several years prior and eventually goes into full crunch mode as nothing is ready at the 18 months till release part.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

And the perception in games, from both the journalism and player sides, tends to praise the studio and looks towards to what that entity puts out next rather then the individual people involved. This is like seeing a movie and going, “Can’t wait to see what Paramount Pictures puts out next!” rather then focusing on what the director and actors are doing next.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

OhFunny posted:

Has nvidia experience turned on dsr mode? You may be running at 4x the resolution.

I don't see that option in the list.

But really plugging my controller in instead of using bluetooth fixed the issue. No idea why.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

pentyne posted:

There's a question of which causes which. Crunch time is required to make AAA games, or bad project management for years leads to crunch time to make AAA games. Or possibly both depending on the studio.

Bioware and CDPR both had the thing where the development "started" several years prior and eventually goes into full crunch mode as nothing is ready at the 18 months till release part.

Besides the very boring answer that we live in a global capitalist hegemony that incentivizes such exploitation, I think a lot of developers that come into sudden success are completely unprepared to scale up for these $100 million budget mega-games. The multilayered project management skills you need to coordinate among various satellite studios, lead a diverse and globalized workforce, and communicate a shared vision across all the system design leads is completely beyond the scope of what worked for you as a 25-person team. It's overwhelming even to think about, and it doesn't surprise me that a lot of previously idiosyncratic game companies don't anticipate what they'll need to expand their operation. That's the kind of false intuition that leads you to believe ~Bioware magic~ is possible.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

pentyne posted:

Crunch time is never required to make a AAA game. It's only required to stay within a budget or to meet a deadline.
All the crunch time I've put it, could have been prevented with better project management. When that management fails due to inexperience or unforeseen circumstances, it can perhaps be excused. But once you have the necessary experience, know what leads to crunch time being a thing and steps aren't being taken to prevent it, it's just management abusing workers for bigger profit margins.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
https://twitter.com/USSStellarDrift/status/1369403718341439494

https://twitter.com/manicpanicpup/status/1369403360110125064

https://twitter.com/vee4vampy/status/1369405223232495618

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hmm. Better animation than Andromeda,