Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Trespasser was the best Dragon Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

man nurse posted:

I like the Dragon Age games and think there should be more of them.

wow, harsh

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

precision posted:

wow, harsh

goon hyperbole at it again

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Blackwall has one of the strongest arcs out of all three games and people who stan for Solas but ignore/condemn Blackwall have terrible judgement of character/an inability to read context. The power of the beard bests all.

Vivienne is criminally underrated/unappreciated. This is in part Bioware’s fault, what else is new.

DA2 was all worth it for Sandal. Sandal for companion in DA4 or riot.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I like the Dragon Age series, it's super sad that there's at least a 50/50 chance that we won't see DA4 after Anthem: The Quest For More Lootboxes inevitably fails to meet wild sales expectations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nckdictator posted:

I finished Dragon Age:Orgins like a year ago but have no idea if i want to play the expansions or sequels since their so divisive. Which is weird, I liked Orgins pretty well but nobody seems to agree on the others.

Maybe you're gonna have to form your own opinions about them.

You can do it I believe in you.

Node posted:

Trespasser was the best Dragon Age.

Agreed.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Blackwall has one of the strongest arcs out of all three games and people who stan for Solas but ignore/condemn Blackwall have terrible judgement of character/an inability to read context. The power of the beard bests all.

Vivienne is criminally underrated/unappreciated. This is in part Bioware’s fault, what else is new.

Agreed.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Didn't some big executive at EA basically say that single player games aren't worth making anymore or something along those lines? Or was it a take 2 dev not sure.

Out of the big 4 publishers in the west, Ea, Activision, Ubisoft and Take Two. I think Activision/EA will almost make exclusively multiplayer games for their games as a service model.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Taear posted:

What bioware are good at though is the sort of China Meiville level of "there's loads of depth here that I'm just skirting over, but you know it's there". They did it when they did Forgotten Realms games, they did it with the Old Republic, they did it with Dragon Age and with Mass Effect.
When they're doing a small scale game like Dragon Age 2 you lose that. You need the world to have mysteries to bring the game along with it and DA2 doesn't have that.

I'd agree, to a point, but I'd also argue that a game with a scope like Inquisition's stretches it to the breaking point. Inquisition is so sprawling and trots the globe so casually that you can't even really maintain the illusion of depth. Everything felt very small, even moreso than Dragon Age 2, the game that is ACTUALLY small in scope.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
*in extremely 90s anime dub voice* There will always be another... Dragon Age!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Xibanya posted:

Ughhhh I am ready to be done with this game and banished the grey wardens and now the next story mission needs 40 power points and I just have nine meaning I have to spend a few hours grinding on quests that I passed up earlier for being too tedious.

Time to check Nexus for a nice mod that will let me bypass this horseshit :shepface:
Have you not closed a single rift? Because those give power, they're all over the place, and they're really easy to do. By the end of a game I'll usually have well over 100 power and I don't go out of my way to do the sidequests I think are stupid.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

SubponticatePoster posted:

Have you not closed a single rift? Because those give power, they're all over the place, and they're really easy to do. By the end of a game I'll usually have well over 100 power and I don't go out of my way to do the sidequests I think are stupid.

I close 'em when I see em. I guess I'll quit my griping and go fetch the bear asses and whatnot.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Xibanya posted:

I close 'em when I see em. I guess I'll quit my griping and go fetch the bear asses and whatnot.

That said, there is a mod on the nexus that lets you buy those power amulet things from a vendor in haven for like a gold a piece, if you wanted to cheat yourself UNLIMITED POWAAAAHHHH and just burn through the game

I forget if it's one of the mods that's a PITA to install or not though, modding DAI kind of sucks

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

a real rude dude posted:

DA2 was good and more games should work with a smaller scope imho hth

Agreed. DA2 has problems but it's still actually amazing and part of that is from having a narrower scope and knows what it wants to do within that scope.

PS Anders was Right.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
DA2 is great because Hawke can be such a sarcastic biting shitheel to everyone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ulio posted:

Didn't some big executive at EA basically say that single player games aren't worth making anymore or something along those lines? Or was it a take 2 dev not sure.

Out of the big 4 publishers in the west, Ea, Activision, Ubisoft and Take Two. I think Activision/EA will almost make exclusively multiplayer games for their games as a service model.

It's pretty sad that the people who brought back RPGs in the 90s are now effectively dead. At least there's Obsidian and loads of indie studios now though.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ulio posted:

It's not that they aren't worth making, they just don't make ALL THE MONEY like lootbox simulators do.

FIFA makes EA a billion dollars a year. Dragon Age can't compete with that.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Xibanya posted:

I honestly don't see how you can be short on power if you've had a look around the maps that have been given to you. Literally all you have to do is find a camp, close a rift, if you want to speed it collect the two massively common rocks in your map to craft a thing at the table. You got power out your rear end at all times, even if you're just trying to do the plot missions you get more power than you need. Power is mostly irrelevant.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
da2 is low key thicc

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

eating only apples posted:

I honestly don't see how you can be short on power if you've had a look around the maps that have been given to you. Literally all you have to do is find a camp, close a rift, if you want to speed it collect the two massively common rocks in your map to craft a thing at the table. You got power out your rear end at all times, even if you're just trying to do the plot missions you get more power than you need. Power is mostly irrelevant.

Jeez dude I did those things. Guess I tried to power through the story too fast :shrug:

E: basically I unlocked each story thing as soon as I had the points for it, so it’s simple math. It’s not that crazy.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 3, 2017

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Captain Oblivious posted:

DA2 was a great game ruined by an insanely short development cycle. The friendship/rivalry system provided for some of the most interesting party interaction options in a Bioware game and the small scale was a refreshing change of pace from incessant Save The Literal Entire loving World plots. Just some dude trying to do right by his family and his city. More of that please, just with an actual reasonable amount of time for development so that the ending isn't an oddly disjointed rush job and there isn't constant asset recycling.

This is 100% correct. DA2 is not the best Dragon Age game, but it is the one I like the most, despite all it's numerous and major flaws.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Xibanya posted:

Jeez dude I did those things. Guess I tried to power through the story too fast :shrug:

E: basically I unlocked each story thing as soon as I had the points for it, so it’s simple math. It’s not that crazy.

The best advice is download the mod that removes the timers from the war table stuff

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm Inquisition's multiplayer

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Do you even still work?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I never once played you

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I thought dragon age inquisition had really entertaining DLC, much more fun than the main game. The story stuff in the last one is just rad as hell.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I don’t know if you are joking but I agree on both points. Blackwall was really well done. I sent him to the Wardens as it felt like the correct choice. He was my beardy bro. He seemed to enjoy being Sera’s big brother. Sera I couldn’t hate as we played pranks together and hung out on rooftops eating cookies. Viv was also fun as she was always fairly blatant about playing the great game. She was snooty and the exactly the type of person who would volunteer to join your little organisation. She’s got her own plans and agenda and sticks around only because your two goals align for now. She’s not my favourite as I got Solas and Dorian, but I respect that. I don’t get the Cole hate. Reminded me of Pinnochio or Data. Settled on the spirit path for his quest choice. Really thought his quests and the bits after hit all the right marks. Liked his insights into various companions/enemies and locations. Still wish I could get as much from Solas if I was his best mate as I could as a romance.

From last page: my dream standalone spinoff game is where I am a dwarf ranger exploring the deep roads and lost thaigs. Add in that shady thaig from the Da:I mission table and the shyal brytol thaig. Also quick weapon switching, a reverse engineered bolter, explosives and a flamethrower and toss me underground for aeons. Also keep going with Valta, lizard men and the Titans from the Descent.
Edit: think aesthetic as fallout mixed with the descent and GoA DLCs with a hint of the Metro series. Some of your companions could be a Warden hearing the call, a shaper alchemist, Legion guys, an attack nug and your trusty pack bronto. Maybe bring back that one cool Legionnaire from Awakening.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 3, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Blackwall was probably my favorite companion in DAI. Helped that he was incredibly useful in battle, of course

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i was an idiot who was really looking forward to DAI's multiplayer but it turns out if that's the kind of thing i want i can just play wow

even when there wasn't awful rubberband lag (which there was, almost always) it wasn't fun

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
sarcastic hawke holds up like 30% of da2. and I mean that as a compliment.

edit: rear end in a top hat male hawke is also kind of incredible if that is the kind of character you want.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

what da2 attempted was great and its a shame the short dev cycle ruined it

ps the templars are right

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Agean90 posted:

ps the templars are right

Bioware's bold vision of a Nazi/Jew metaphor in which the jews actually are guilty of everything the nazis accuse them of.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Oh my lord I got past the well of sorrow and the game still isn’t over.

And dammit I was waiting for Solas to jump up and try to use the well since someone told me he was the main bad guy but he didn’t even want it when I suggested he take it. At this point if he goes mustache twirling villain I think that takes the cake for most complicated and inefficient villain plan ever. Or maybe he isn’t the bad guy and people are loving with me? How many more major setpieces has this thing got??

E: oh boy, I finally got my Quantum of Solas. It’s the awkward romances where the limbs clip into each other that really make these bioware games :allears:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 3, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Xibanya posted:

And dammit I was waiting for Solas to jump up and try to use the well since someone told me he was the main bad guy but he didn’t even want it when I suggested he take it. At this point if he goes mustache twirling villain I think that takes the cake for most complicated and inefficient villain plan ever. Or maybe he isn’t the bad guy and people are loving with me? How many more major setpieces has this thing got??

Many many set pieces. Solas is a very chilled out character, I always appreciate that about him since he doesn't lose his head in tense situations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Bioware's bold vision of a Nazi/Jew metaphor in which the jews actually are guilty of everything the nazis accuse them of.

Yeah the whole "wizards are persecuted" thing falls flat when 95% of wizards outside the party cant go shopping without summoning a bunch of demons or resorting to blood magic because some dude on the street was rude to them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just wish DA2 didn't look so loving awful. Also while setting it in one city is in erecting, Kirkwall is not an interesting city at all. Sure some if the lore around it is neat but the game never takes advantage of its setting.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wish DA2 got more dev time. There was something great in there. As it was, though, the incessant bits of Going Back To This One loving Cave Over 10 Years In Kirkwall and the endgame being clearly written by the same people who wrote the end to ME3 for how fart-huffing it was dragged it down from Truly Great to Middling. A small story, and characters developing over a long period of time and doing things that matter to them, not things that change the world, were such a great change of pace that I even kind of liked Anders by the end. You could tell he wasn't just MAGE JUSTICE!!!!!!!!! always, since he'd gently caress around and play cards and joke around, it's just his dumb 'Let's Become Abominable!' idea that screwed him up. Still, first DA I played, and all of Inquisition I was just thinking about how much I'd rather have Varric talking with people he liked rather than feeling obligated to save the world with a bunch of fuckheads.

I was also looking forward to DAI multiplayer. :shobon: Given that ME3's multiplayer was and is pretty great...and then they hosed it pretty quick by DAI's combat being no good at all.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

E: oh boy, I finally got my Quantum of Solas. It’s the awkward romances where the limbs clip into each other that really make these bioware games :allears:

Solas isn't necessarily the villain. It's....complicated. You won't really get the full story until Trespasser.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dragon age inquisition is one of my favorite games ever and i love all of the characters in it. they are fun and my friends.

jaws of hakkon was the best dlc and trespasser should have just been a very long cutscene

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know how anyone can enjoy the actual game play of the Dragon age games unless you're a spergtastic min-maxer who enjoys setting a thousand AI variables so he doesn't have to click during a fight.

All I ever did was one shield to tank damage, one Mage to kill everything, one mage to heal and one rogue to unlock stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bogart posted:

I wish DA2 got more dev time. There was something great in there. As it was, though, the incessant bits of Going Back To This One loving Cave Over 10 Years In Kirkwall and the endgame being clearly written by the same people who wrote the end to ME3 for how fart-huffing it was dragged it down from Truly Great to Middling. A small story, and characters developing over a long period of time and doing things that matter to them, not things that change the world, were such a great change of pace that I even kind of liked Anders by the end. You could tell he wasn't just MAGE JUSTICE!!!!!!!!! always, since he'd gently caress around and play cards and joke around, it's just his dumb 'Let's Become Abominable!' idea that screwed him up. Still, first DA I played, and all of Inquisition I was just thinking about how much I'd rather have Varric talking with people he liked rather than feeling obligated to save the world with a bunch of fuckheads.

I was also looking forward to DAI multiplayer. :shobon: Given that ME3's multiplayer was and is pretty great...and then they hosed it pretty quick by DAI's combat being no good at all.

I think Varric likes most of the crew from inquisition too.