Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

I see Solas as just another side of the same coin as Corypheus: Haughty arrogant old dudes who want to forcibly revert the world back to some abstract ideal that never really existed, that they themselves played a central role in loving up to begin with. gently caress that noise, Thedas may be a steaming shitheap but at least it's OUR shitheap, so go gently caress off to the veil and leave us alone.

Yeah I don't see how everyone having magic and magic being more powerful/prevalent would lead to anything but disaster. It did in the past after all. Presumably the Elves created the Blight and that is why Solas locked them (and it) up. It breaks down like this for me. +/- for Veil being down:

+ Everyone can do magic, so mages don't get discriminated against any longer.
+ In the long run Spirits and People will co-exist more easily maybe because Spirits will no longer lust over what they can't have. They'll just be a part of the world like everyone else. Maybe that means no more demons, or less of them?
+ Uh I guess if you're an Elf you possibly become immortal again.
+ All that magic will allow for some pretty cool marvels like flying cities and poo poo. Maybe quality of life is higher for a lot of people with that available.

- The veil being sundered might lead to a mass influx of Demons.
- Magic is presumably more powerful with no Veil, and last time it was like that the Blight was created and people enslaved and blah blah
- The shock of everyone suddenly having magic and having to live with Spirits/Demons will lead to chaos and craziness everywhere
- The Evanuris get to come back, and each one of them is more powerful and possibly more evil than fuckin Corypheus
- The Titans probably wake back up which could be a good or bad thing as we don't know a lot about them but I'm guessing bad as the one waking up in Descent caused earth quakes and poo poo

The minuses seem like a bit much to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Von_Doom posted:

Ooooh nice. Two Rogues, 1 tank and 1 mage? That sounds challenging. I've gotten spoiled to using two mages constantly.
You'll wreck poo poo, especially if you go Tempest. You & Sera hitting things with 2x Thousand Cuts is :black101:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sinistral posted:

Inquisition archers are great. Grab the skill that pulls you to an enemy + the skill where you backflip away while shooting a bunch of exploding arrows and go to town.

Yeah inquisition is the best archers have ever been in terms of fun. You can move and shoot at the same time, you can open the battle with a stealthy snipe alpha strike, you can do the cool thing that you just mentioned...archers have way more to do than the previous incarnations of “stand still and use an ability now and then” that the first two games did.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
But never -be- an archer when you can use your good friend Varric to be one instead.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

You'll wreck poo poo, especially if you go Tempest. You & Sera hitting things with 2x Thousand Cuts is :black101:
Sweet. Still thinking human as polar opposite of dalish mage who was flabbergasted with the whole Inquisition thing. Danke.

exquisite tea posted:

I see Solas as just another side of the same coin as Corypheus: Haughty arrogant old dudes who want to forcibly revert the world back to some abstract ideal that never really existed, that they themselves played a central role in loving up to begin with. gently caress that noise, Thedas may be a steaming shitheap but at least it's OUR shitheap, so go gently caress off to the veil and leave us alone.

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I don't see how everyone having magic and magic being more powerful/prevalent would lead to anything but disaster. It did in the past after all. Presumably the Elves created the Blight and that is why Solas locked them (and it) up. It breaks down like this for me. +/- for Veil being down:...

- The Titans probably wake back up which could be a good or bad thing as we don't know a lot about them but I'm guessing bad as the one waking up in Descent caused earth quakes and poo poo

The minuses seem like a bit much to deal with

Only real difference between Cory and S is that Solas would say he is doing it for the many people he lost and he genuinely has sorrow for doing what he feels he must. Cory just wants godhood for himself. On the surface Solas really is doing it for the world he lost. Takes me back to Hal Jordan. I'm not spoil tagging stuff from 30 years ago that has since been retconned but: Hal Jordan. Loses his whole world. Goes boom. He couldn't stop it. Tries and fails to bring them back but lacks the power no matter how hard he tried. He thinks he finds a solution. Get more power. At first he tries his best to not go full Hitler but evil's a slippery slope. People die. Then more. Then more. But its too late to turn back. And Hal is a hero. He's always been a hero. He tells himself he still is. He's doing it to save lives. Even when people try and reach him he refuses to see. Its far too late to turn back now, or so he tells himself. He never sees that it stopped being about other people aeons ago. Its about his own loss and selfishly refusing to accept it and move on. Granted the execution in comics was only so-so but the potential? Meaty stuff.

Yeah the minuses so win.
I definitely want more from the Titans but Solas the Dread Wolf winning? God War. Even if the Titans are totally cool they are still alien vast things. Descent showed us that even one stirring in their sleep can cause massive destruction. They might love everyone but... we are ants walking underfoot. A herd of elephants wouldn't notice if they stepped on the anthill. I feel really bad for the Dread Wolf in a way. He probably had the best of intentions years ago but at this point he is the next big bad. Or at least the harbinger for a legion of big bads. Pretty much everyone in the world is screwed. Dalish or no, love or no... you are just another shemlen and matter little compared to the world that was. His obsession overrides and consumes everything. Including himself. Its good conflict. Like I said before: he was the hero of his own game ages ago. He beat the cruel slavemasters that pretended to be gods and cut off the Thedas from the chaos and corruption of the fade. He freed the world. In a way, he won. Then, like most DA games, he went away. Sadly for Thedas, he woke up a thousand or so years later and found out the world still sucks. Not that much different from when you flash forwarded to the alternate world from the mage/templar quest. And didnt you try and immediately set the world back to what it was when you were last awake? Before it all went wrong? Slippery slope and best of intentions. Granted, Cory's world and the Red Templar universe was blatantly awful and world ending but you ken where I'm going.

Still think it would be fun to play in a world where he wins. He unleashes the god war. For a while they nuke everything and split the world up into their own personal kingdoms. Could be a fun world to try and beat. You going Solas version 2 and bring back Thedas could be fun.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 4, 2017

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
actually cory and solas are both nietzschean supermen who want to create a more interesting and badass fantasy universe to live in through sheer force of will. and I 100% sympathize w/ them.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
mother giselle &c: oh no the chantry. :cry: we need to preserve our lovely alt-catholic institutions to keep our lovely fantasy allegory of alt-medieval Europe in order

cory/solas: hell yea let's sunder all the barriers between dream and reality and have demons and immortals everywhere running around and poo poo :goshawk:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Zane posted:

mother giselle &c: oh no the chantry. :cry: we need to preserve our lovely alt-catholic institutions to keep our lovely fantasy allegory of alt-medieval Europe in order

cory/solas: hell yea let's sunder all the barriers between dream and reality and have demons and immortals everywhere running around and poo poo :goshawk:

quoted for truth

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The main difference between Cory and solas is that Cory had old rear end probable elven bioweapons or side effect ridden PEDs making his brain all screwy

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

So I just picked up Inquisition w/all the DLC from the PSN Cyber Monday sale. Any tips for a first playthrough? Any builds I should avoid?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Female Dalish elf mage, romance Solas.

It'll make sense later, especially if you go hardcore "I am not the Herald, your Chantry is a lie, mage power."

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Get out of hinterlands ASAP; You have do it in pieces, not all at once, or else you'll go mad.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cythereal posted:

It'll make sense later, especially if you go hardcore "I am not the Herald, your Chantry is a lie, mage power."

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Sinistral posted:

Anders was right. :colbert:

good post.

DAO and DA2 were both good games

DAI didn't do it for me?? :shrug: If you're going to do open world at least do it like Morrowind where you can kill literally loving everybody and then get pop ups about WITH THIS CHARACTER'S DEATH, THE THREAD OF PROPHECY HAS BEEN SEVERED or whatever that was.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pikestaff posted:

good post.

DAO and DA2 were both good games

DAI didn't do it for me?? :shrug: If you're going to do open world at least do it like Morrowind where you can kill literally loving everybody and then get pop ups about WITH THIS CHARACTER'S DEATH, THE THREAD OF PROPHECY HAS BEEN SEVERED or whatever that was.

Say what you will, I for one am desperately eager for Destiny 2: Anthem.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

joneswt posted:

So I just picked up Inquisition w/all the DLC from the PSN Cyber Monday sale. Any tips for a first playthrough? Any builds I should avoid?

Get out of the Hinterlands after you've banked some power (8 should be sufficient and it's easy to come by). You can come back, but don't try to do everything or explore everywhere, you'll get bored and overleveled.

I'd avoid Reaver/2h in general for a 1st playthrough. Everything else is fine.

If you play as a woman, hit on Cassandra and Dorian as much as you can regardless of whether you intend to romance anyone.

Crafting interface is clunky but you can break the game wide open that way.

Use the Dragon Age Keep to import choices from previous games. If you never played any you can just randomly pick stuff :v: (You can ignore it too, there's a default world state and the choices really don't matter)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

joneswt posted:

Sword and shield is pretty dull IMO; dagger rogues are great.

In the Hinterlands, do Corporal Vale's quests, which are roughly in the SE of the map, before you do the mage/templar main quest. (Take a break from the Hinterlands to speak to the chantry and collect other companions, then go back and finish the Corporal's quests.) You can pick up a bunch of agents this way and they let you get perks you want more quickly.

Otherwise do main quests pretty much as soon as you're at the right level for them; don't try to complete every side quest on one run through. Don't bother with collection quests.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

berenzen posted:

Get out of hinterlands ASAP; You have do it in pieces, not all at once, or else you'll go mad.

I did it all at once, went insane, made the game better.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

joneswt posted:

Go with the sorta-british voice if you go female

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Go with the sorta-british voice if you go female

Absolutely this, she's miles better than the American

(sorta-British? she's extremely british)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eating only apples posted:

Absolutely this, she's miles better than the American

(sorta-British? she's extremely british)

It's not extremely British unless she uses cockney rhyming slang :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Randaconda posted:

It's not extremely British unless she uses cockney rhyming slang :colbert:
At that point she might as well be speaking Finnish. In a rhyming slang.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Truth. Seriously worth the effort. Remember to do this properly don't take middle ground. Be sure to say "I am not the herald and I've got my own gods. Mage Power."

SubponticatePoster posted:

If you play as a woman, hit on Cassandra and Dorian as much as you can regardless of whether you intend to romance anyone.

Hah! Do this. Cassandra is so socially awkward it's hilarious. Like at any occasion she is there to be social she is super clumsy. be sure to take her to any large social dances that may come up. Seriously. I love that giant goober who can tank dragons all day. Dorian is also awesome and so much fun if you aren't a total bore. My female mage hung out with him constantly and they were the best of friends.
edit:

Poil posted:

At that point she might as well be speaking Finnish. In a rhyming slang.
But this game doesn't have ork mongols in it. The darkspawn might be close.
koska suomalaiset ovat mongoleja

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 4, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh, right. Anthem. That's a thing. I don't have high hopes.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Cythereal posted:

Minor dissent here: I think it's better to romance whoever you want to, and enjoy the game. If you don't care who you romance, Solas is a good pick, but if you're gritting your teeth every time he speaks, he doesn't get better.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah. I think Solas is someone you romance second time around once you understand how the story goes down. First time through, have yourself a sad beardman Warden to bed. Or, I dunno. Cassandra.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

quote:

The Qunari I totally get. But Solas? Isn't there a part of him you can relate or empathise with? Maybe its just me but his ending is so tragic and relatable. Best of intentions and all of that. He's not Corydingus or the Arch-daemon. In another world he would be the protagonist of a game. Leading a glorious revolution to the corrupt powers that be that led to misfortune and wakes up in a world that his gently caress up created. Like a dark, alternate reality. There have been loads of stories where the protagonist tries to bring back the world he accidentally created. To fix his mistake. To bring back the world and people he loved and lost. That he understood and failed. Like Hal Jordan after Coast City went kaboom. I remember this one book series that had a character that was a monster because "he would burn the world in the name of what he thought was right". I guess anti-hero is another term but I think that downplays the true tragedy of Solas. He really does love a romanced Inquisitor. Truly. He is a hero. A flawed hero to his world and people. A world that died. That is no more. Loved his character. Really hope he comes back. I was annoyed the Architect didnt but I can live with it. Flemeth I want more of. Solas? He has to be there. He will never quit or give up. He cannot. He will not. I just hope another game keeps this mirror-universe protagonist theme going. Its good stuff.

As a human gamer i can understand your point, but honestly this rpg actually encouraged me to take on a role, which most games generally don't, and from that point im a human fan and worried about mages. I was happy that vivienne became divine even though I could tell from a meta game stand point it wasn't the ideal choice. So I mostly got mad at Solas because his time is over. He missed his shot to do what he wanted and he can, as someone else put, gently caress off back to the fade. I was also sick of all the baby bullshit arl teagan was trying to put me through. I saved the goddamn world, you can kiss my fuckin' egg.
I'm sure that I'm going to end up as a terrible and corrupt villain, probably in the mode of Solas, so perhaps that is most fitting.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Note: I’ve skipped over all posts since my last post and will go back and read them once I’m through the DLC.

I just beat the main campaign. WHAT. That was the most convoluted last minute rear end pull I’ve seen in my life. Guess I better do the DLC now to get some kind of explanation.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 5, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Note: I’ve skipped over all posts since my last post and will go back and read them once in through the DLC.

I just beat the main campaign. WHAT. That was the most convoluted last minute rear end pull I’ve seen in my life. Guess I better do the DLC now to get some kind of explanation.

Yes. Trespasser is great. The other DLC is solid but Trespasser is the one ya gotta do. It's the true end to the game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Xibanya posted:

Note: I’ve skipped over all posts since my last post and will go back and read them once I’m through the DLC.

The fun part is that it's kind of always there when you go back through, but most people are trained to write him off as a standard aloof kind of smug wizard type so they miss it the first time (I did)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Shugojin posted:

The fun part is that it's kind of always there when you go back through, but most people are trained to write him off as a standard aloof kind of smug wizard type so they miss it the first time (I did)

Similarly, talking to Blackwall on a second playthrough is illuminating

"Hey Blackwall, why do you need a Grey Warden to kill an archdemon? Is it the sword?"

"Well ... many Warden swords are made of ... silverite?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pattonesque posted:

"Hey Blackwall, why do you need a Grey Warden to kill an archdemon? Is it the sword?"

"How does a boy become a spirit?"

"I don't know. How does a Warden become grey?"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Ginette Reno posted:

Yes. Trespasser is great. The other DLC is solid but Trespasser is the one ya gotta do. It's the true end to the game.

Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age Inquisition was basically one gigantic prologue to Trespasser. That's the first time I've fallen for You've been working for the bad guy the whole time! in a video game. And it came from Bioware of all writers, which doubly shocked me.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cythereal posted:

"How does a boy become a spirit?"

"I don't know. How does a Warden become grey?"

"Wardens! You may not know me, but you know my name!"

My dude Blackwall is a smooth talker

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the advice to leave the Hinterlands should probably be followed up with not feeling obligated to do everything in any of the maps. IMO a lot of them have too much to do, not just the first one, and I kept waiting for the maps to get smaller because of everyone freaking out about the Hinterlands. If you're just looking to kill time, scouring the map for everything will do that, but I personally wish I'd skipped more poo poo, and will try to remember that when the next game comes out. I think it's the whole choices carrying over into subsequent games thing that made me lose my mind finishing stuff, even though obviously most quests don't matter at all even in this game, much less in future games.

Inquisition is definitely a better game than 2, but along with the smaller scope in plot terms, I actually liked that 2 was a shorter game too, and think they ended up overcorrecting for it. Overstuffed open world games are definitely a thing in general these days though, so maybe it was just a sign of the times.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pattonesque posted:

There's a letter in Leliana's bit in Skyhold from Warden Blackwall talking about how he's stuck in Orlais during the Fifth Blight, when just hours before Blackwall will have told you how no, he was totes bumming around in Ferelden at the time but didn't help out because... well, because.

Leliana definitely knew.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Ginette Reno posted:

I love Descent if only because of how it finally makes the Deep Roads look at least a little bit interesting. Also David Hayter using his Solid Snake voice.
Trespasser is amazing.

I'm worried about the future of Dragon Age if Anthem turns out to be poo poo, though. EA being EA and all.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Bogart posted:

Oh, right. Anthem. That's a thing. I don't have high hopes.

Considering EA's other recent releases (and general gamedev philosophy), does anyone?

Plus, I don't imagine the recent overwhelming anger towards lootboxes (which Anthem will almost certainly have) and Destiny 2 (which Anthem basically is) are going to do it any favors.

Edit:

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I'm worried about the future of Dragon Age if Anthem turns out to be poo poo, though. EA being EA and all.

I can pretty much guarantee you that Anthem will be regarded as a sales disappointment (regardless of its actual quality), just because sales expectations for AAA titles are loving bananas. Additionally, the basic concept has already been done, by a more popular studio, and nothing about the core of the game (shooting and looting with friends) appeals to Bioware's strength. It won't matter how good the lore and dialogue is if the core gameplay isn't rock-solid, and even then they're competing with a well-established competitor for a 'market' that is wholly illusory.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 5, 2017

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Do any of the most important members of Bioware even work at the company anymore? People shouldn't really compare them to their previous titles if so, its different people with different ideas about how to make RPGs in command now, and they are obviously not who made Bioware what it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

effervescible posted:

Dorian and The Iron Bull interactions

Thanks for explaining that, I thought I missed something big time. I agree I can understand how people are uncomfortable with it, but tbh had that interpretation of Dorian/IB been the first I heard I would never pick up the game because of how strongly I feel about alcohol related to assault.

exquisite tea posted:

As much as Solas annoyed me jawing on about ancient elves when Corypheus had the Inquisitor hanging by the mark and started going on about the Black City being empty I wanted an option that let me say “Solas, shut up; Cory, keep talking.” I know we need to stop the bad guy terrorizing folks, but wouldn’t it be useful to find out what he knows?

I really agree with the “this is OUR shitheap” sentiment. I think it’s in part from my time playing World of Warcraft: the end game raids related to WoW’s version of the Old Gods tend to include powerful old assholes making a bid for their ideal survival when said elder entities (who were always there before the WoW Titans showed up and uplifted the planet) wake up and devour everyone. There’s even a corrupted metal that’s confirmed tainted with the blood of an Old God and a “Fade” type space where dwellers within get twisted into abominations of themselves.

Bogart posted:

Yeah. I think Solas is someone you romance second time around once you understand how the story goes down. First time through, have yourself a sad beardman Warden to bed. Or, I dunno. Cassandra.

I misread as “sad bearman” then realized either works.