Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Funnily enough there is like, ONE hunt where you can join at the start AND watch the cutscene together with your buddy so... it's clearly not even a technical requirement.

Just a mindboggingly stupid design choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Sydin posted:

Frostfang turned out to be a pretty disappointing fight all things considered, I know it's just an amped up Barioth so maybe we expected too much by a friend and I beat him in ~10 minutes first try with barely any hassle. At least his armor looks cool, and it seems to be pretty nice for hammer and GS, particularly when mixed with Teo as mentioned above.

Any consensus yet on how his weapons are compared to Safi or Kjarr ice options? Ignoring that Kjarr is always going to have that beautiful innate crit element of course.

Frostfang Barioth Light Bowgun is the meta LBG for spread 3 now I think, the rest of the weapons probably aren't the best at what they do.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
if ff barioth was tuned like the rest of the endgame monsters everybody would be bitching about the sticky ice

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Funnily enough there is like, ONE hunt where you can join at the start AND watch the cutscene together with your buddy so... it's clearly not even a technical requirement.

Just a mindboggingly stupid design choice.

There might be some bugs with it, like if you do the full fake-Ruiner fight into Shara Ishvalda the Handler will say he/her in reference to your character's pronouns instead of the quest leader's character's. The other fights with shared cutscenes like the Kulve siege and Behemoth don't have any issues, but then again there's no dialog in those. At this point, there must be something fucky in the base code they don't have the time or ability to fix even though everyone hates it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

fishing specifically for Teostra Essence on Safi weapons is going to kill me, but I just want it two more times... c'mon game, take pity on cha boi

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

There might be some bugs with it, like if you do the full fake-Ruiner fight into Shara Ishvalda the Handler will say he/her in reference to your character's pronouns instead of the quest leader's character's. The other fights with shared cutscenes like the Kulve siege and Behemoth don't have any issues, but then again there's no dialog in those. At this point, there must be something fucky in the base code they don't have the time or ability to fix even though everyone hates it.

Audio bugs are so minor though, there's clearly nothing stopping them from offering the option. They just hate us.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Left trigger immediately after your level 3 charge attack or a spin attack. You've got about a 1 second window, it's basically the entire time the dust cloud from your hammer hitting the ground is still on the screen.

You can claw after the L2 dash uppercut too, with about the same timing window. You don't get the spin but it's good for a last minute grab when the monster decides it's tired of the scenery and changes zones.

That is ridiculously simple and opens up hammers into being even more ridiculous. It's seriously non stop damage with the ability to attack, clutch attack and weaken a part.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is there a skill that negates frostioth's super ice or is it just don't get hit or hope you have enough health to survive a slam? Not a particularly hard or bad fight even with that, just wondering.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

In Training posted:

Audio bugs are so minor though, there's clearly nothing stopping them from offering the option. They just hate us.

I don't know how minor or easy to fix it is. I assume probably harder than it should be if that bug in the Shara cutscene is still around almost a year after Iceborne came out. The other big issue might've been with another player tripping a "major" cutscene when they're nowhere near the party leader, or those expeditions that turn into hunts after you wander for a bit? Like personally, if that was the problem, I wouldn't have minded if the game made it so that most of the quests the whole hunting group could load into the camp, and the party leader would have to go out to "scout" for the monster to get the cutscene before the rest of the party could leave camp.

It's weird to keep something so backwards in the game when even the older games didn't have that restriction, so I have assume there's some incredibly stupid factor stopping them from fixing that

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Feels like Frostfang's role is to barf up gear for people who are getting stymied trying to farm up specific pieces for whatever build they're working on, what with being easy to craft and having big fat gobs of utilitarian traits. Which isn't unwelcome, really.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

chumbler posted:

Is there a skill that negates frostioth's super ice or is it just don't get hit or hope you have enough health to survive a slam? Not a particularly hard or bad fight even with that, just wondering.

Iceproof mantle shortens the freeze, doesn't completely eliminate it, but it's enough to dodge the incoming slam relatively easily. Torch pods from slinger remove ice patches, but that's more for someone saving you in multiplayer.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 9, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cabbit posted:

Feels like Frostfang's role is to barf up gear for people who are getting stymied trying to farm up specific pieces for whatever build they're working on, what with being easy to craft and having big fat gobs of utilitarian traits. Which isn't unwelcome, really.

He feels like a really easy fight deigned to spit out not top-tier but workable ice weapons for people to use in the Alatreon special investigation.

Devlan Mud posted:

Frostfang Barioth Light Bowgun is the meta LBG for spread 3 now I think, the rest of the weapons probably aren't the best at what they do.

Yeah that was Shepard's consensus in his latest video. I also agree with him that FF Barioth was a huge letdown and that hopefully going forward Capcom will ignore the minority who :qq:'d over Alatreon being too hard and make more monsters like him, not less. What the game really needs right now is more actually challenging monsters for endgame.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

Iceproof mantle shortens the freeze, doesn't completely eliminate it, but it's enough to dodge the incoming slam relatively easily. Torch pods from slinger remove ice patches, but that's more for someone saving you in multiplayer.

Temporal mantle also dodges through the ice. Rocksteady is a death sentence when he's enraged lol

I'm not too disappointed in the fight itself since its at least fun. I wish it was a little tougher so it could be bumped up to tier 3. Also I dont get why its event only and it doesn't show up in guiding lands or investigations.

Now give me lucent nargacuga capcom :argh:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Temporal mantle also dodges through the ice. Rocksteady is a death sentence when he's enraged lol

I'm not too disappointed in the fight itself since its at least fun. I wish it was a little tougher so it could be bumped up to tier 3. Also I dont get why its event only and it doesn't show up in guiding lands or investigations.

Now give me lucent nargacuga capcom :argh:

I really want both lucent nargacuga and molten tigrex back in. The issue with MHW, and Iceborne to a marginally lesser extent, is just endgame variety. There’s only so many tempered guiding lands nemielle I can force myself to do at once.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I've been playing this game quite a while now, but never realised you could just chill with the herbivors.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It is the number one reason I do not like killing them for meat.

They don't/can't fight back and they're generally chill and awesome to hang out with.

I'd rather eat the big fuckers with teeth and fangs

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nuns with Guns posted:

They could've gone with having the host in that cutscene (and every other one) with the idea of the host = MC, and friends = competent people to help out since the handler is worse than dead weight. If they don't allow you to just play through the story with friends in MHW2 then that's going to be a huge disappointment.

At least they didn't go the DQ Heroes 2 route of "beat the level before you/they can play it with friends"(and only for that single mission so have fun re-inviting every time) route and only put in the annoying cutscene restrictions.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How are people finding the alpha and beta sets for Frostfang? Alpha looks really baller so I kind of want to build them both. :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

I've been playing this game quite a while now, but never realised you could just chill with the herbivors.

If you ride them they can occasionally dig up items too.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

I missed this when they posted it so I thought I'd share for the benefit of others.

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1291194796711739392

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m going to give GU another shot this week but I will not make the mistake from my last try. This time I will use the correct weapon: Lance.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Fair warning: coming from World, the GU lance feels incredibly clunky

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

Fair warning: coming from World, the GU lance feels incredibly clunky

I saw a few videos and I have an idea of what I’m getting myself into. I’ve already done a few key quests and aside from some of the obvious poo poo (forward hop) Striker plays close enough to how I play on World.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kaustik posted:

I missed this when they posted it so I thought I'd share for the benefit of others.

oh good, I only played the summer festival 1 day this year because death stranding so I missed all the new event quests

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I saw a few videos and I have an idea of what I’m getting myself into. I’ve already done a few key quests and aside from some of the obvious poo poo (forward hop) Striker plays close enough to how I play on World.

Yeah it's not 1:1 but with Absolute Evasion/Readiness lance is plenty mobile to still be fun.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The one thing that’s not clicking is how wide of an angle I have in regards to blocking a hit. Or maybe it’s because Cephadrone is just a fucker but I could not block some of his tail swipe and hip checks to save my life no matter which direction I was blocking.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
cephadrome is the worst monster capcom has ever produced in the history of monster hunter

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"What if we had a monster that was Plesioth except its adds are also Plesioth"

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

dragon enthusiast posted:

cephadrome is the worst monster capcom has ever produced in the history of monster hunter

It's strange how Capcom updated monsters like Rathalos and Diablos to not be flying/burrowed 75% of the time but Cephadrome is still his annoying MHFU-self in Generations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ojetor posted:

It's strange how Capcom updated monsters like Rathalos and Diablos to not be flying/burrowed 75% of the time but Cephadrome is still his annoying MHFU-self in Generations.

Black Diablos and the Rainbow Technicolor Rath Family would like to have words with you.

The words are "get hosed, non-gunners".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Flipswitch posted:

How are people finding the alpha and beta sets for Frostfang? Alpha looks really baller so I kind of want to build them both. :v:

None of it is meta - Safi, Raging Brachy, and Teo are just too good at the moment - but you can make a fun set out of it and the alpha chest does have it's uses in a hammer or GS build.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Getting my rear end owned by ducking Gypceros in the guild key quest at the start. These are all tuned for MP, right? Dude hits like a truck and drains my stamina and from there I just get poison or thrown around.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Getting my rear end owned by ducking Gypceros in the guild key quest at the start. These are all tuned for MP, right? Dude hits like a truck and drains my stamina and from there I just get poison or thrown around.

Gypceros is a dick and I love him. If they put him in world there would be so much crying. The stamina drain though might be coming from fighting him in the cold cave in the marsh zone, though I don't remember if he goes there.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 11, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I did the Temporal Mantle upgrade quest today, not too bad at all. I probably end up preferring this fight for farming Research Commission Ticket+ to the Metal Rath duo fight since Kirin is pretty simple and Namielle with less health is manageable. Onto MR 175 for the Affinity Booster upgrade perhaps!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Been slowly progressing through the village key quest and yeah MHGU owns. It’s such a neat little experience that I can play anywhere. It’s great! I have the MHGUDB app on my phone which is how I’m tracking all the key quests then when I’m missing a component for an upgrade I can chase the quests (and prerequisites) for them. I found this guide for lance progression and it seems to cover all the bases as far as weapons and armor to aim for while progressing so I’ll stick with it for the time being.

Only thing I’m still not 100% is how I should be setting up my items loadouts and what works with what. I just eat food, chow rations for stamina then go chase monsters to triple poke to death.

EDIT: it’s loving killing me Shield Assault is. It in World this loving OWNS.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 11, 2020

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Man am I really gonna have to grind tempered Namielle for R12 health Regen augments? gently caress me

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

NeurosisHead posted:

Man am I really gonna have to grind tempered Namielle for R12 health Regen augments? gently caress me

Be like me and only get enough mats for one and constantly rollback and redo augments on all your weapons and then inevitably forget to do it one time and die horribly

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Put on one piece of Geologist and fight a single Tempered Namielle for about 30 pelts and have enough materials for four different weapons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just just endlessly smash the poo poo out of them against walls. Run sleep status for even more wall slams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Last time i fought tempered namielle in the guiding lands i picked up a pile of 5 shinies and got 9 bones and just 1 of the augment materials. Think I got like 6 trancehides total from the fight.