Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

AT Xeno was worse

I agree on this, but I'm in the minority of how I had fun with both behemoth and extremoth. I'm fine with being the only one with this opinion, but I never used voicechat and did both with randos multiple times and enjoyed it.

Fatalis was probably my favorite fight in Iceborne for similar reasons.

AT Xeno on the other hand was so loving boring and long and bad. I wouldn't even call it as hard as it was a slog.

Ancient Leshen was also kinda un-fun, that and AT Xeno are the only base world fights I really hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Me and the Greatest Jagras, hanging by the ocean front. He’s trying to eat a random kestodon, I’m perfect rushing his face. The last hit of the combo launches me into the ocean, and I fall endlessly into the beatific void and eternal night beneath the Ancient Forest.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

Jagras -> Great Jagras
Girros -> Great Girros
Dodogama -> Great Dodogama

dodogama is already great

Orv
May 4, 2011
Best Dodogama EX

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Bloodbath Dodogama (it's Dodogama but he charges everywhere and steam explosions)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
instead of dogs, they should have given you dodogama partners. i can't think of a good pun name for that, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

instead of dogs, they should have given you dodogama partners. i can't think of a good pun name for that, though.

Heckagoodagamas

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

i think i’m at the last boss of Iceborne and I was really digging it’s low key sphinx vibe and the awesome music and then holy poo poo I wasn’t prepared for what happened next. Very cool.

Gotta finish it later and then I guess get on this guiding lands vibe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

new kind of cat posted:

i think i’m at the last boss of Iceborne and I was really digging it’s low key sphinx vibe and the awesome music and then holy poo poo I wasn’t prepared for what happened next. Very cool.

Gotta finish it later and then I guess get on this guiding lands vibe.

Next time you’re fighting it, pay attention to its eyes :getin:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
So I'm at the point where I'm hunting new elders in Iceborne and I feel like every single attack from any monster does like 50% of my hp in damage. I'm a little over 700 defense and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I don't remember stuff hitting this hard last time I played before the expansion when I was still gearing up. I pop armorskin and eat defensive meals too and it doesn't seem to help especially when some of the monsters are super agile. I spend the majority of the fights just trying to heal to prevent getting one shot.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

poemdexter posted:

So I'm at the point where I'm hunting new elders in Iceborne and I feel like every single attack from any monster does like 50% of my hp in damage. I'm a little over 700 defense and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I don't remember stuff hitting this hard last time I played before the expansion when I was still gearing up. I pop armorskin and eat defensive meals too and it doesn't seem to help especially when some of the monsters are super agile. I spend the majority of the fights just trying to heal to prevent getting one shot.

I recommend paying attention to elemental resists especially if you’re dealing with blackveil. namielle was slapping me hard at first, then I noticed my preferred armor set had negative water res, and a few decos fixed that up quick.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Elders just always hit like a truck when you first encounter them. Keep your armor upgraded, switch decorations for resistances/effluvia/blast depending on which one it is, cart a few times learning the new moves and be less aggressive. Also depends a lot on the specific matchup vs whatever weapon you’re using.

Throwing divine protection 3 helps a ton too, triggers just enough to be worthwhile when learning fights.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Just checking but you do have 3 levels of vitality slotted in right? That is by far the best defensive skill in the game, followed by the aforementioned divine blessing. And you are better off eating for elemental resist to get the specific element to 20 to negate blights. Like getting 20 water resist vs Namielle.

Also bring max pots and materials to make more max pots. And set them up in your radial menu.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'll reslot for vitality 3 for sure and pay more attention to resists. It wasn't even the elders that started the annoying die while healing cycle. Barioth and Velkhana wiped me multiple times. I'm greatsword if it matters. It just feels sometimes if you get knocked down once, the monsters can sometimes line up another attack the moment you get up or do some crazy AoE while you're trying to run and heal off the first attack. I just feel I spend the majority of the time running and drinking max pots instead of actually swinging my sword.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

poemdexter posted:

I'll reslot for vitality 3 for sure and pay more attention to resists. It wasn't even the elders that started the annoying die while healing cycle. Barioth and Velkhana wiped me multiple times. I'm greatsword if it matters. It just feels sometimes if you get knocked down once, the monsters can sometimes line up another attack the moment you get up or do some crazy AoE while you're trying to run and heal off the first attack. I just feel I spend the majority of the time running and drinking max pots instead of actually swinging my sword.

I'd rather fight things without wex than without vitality 3. It's a skill that probably shouldn't exist since everything seems to be balanced around having it.

also yeah, look into max potion setups, spending time drinking potions is for the birds just do drugs instead

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

poemdexter posted:

It just feels sometimes if you get knocked down once, the monsters can sometimes line up another attack the moment you get up or do some crazy AoE while you're trying to run and heal off the first attack.

FYI once you’re down, your character will STAY down for a bit longer if you don’t press anything. You’re completely* invulnerable in this state so you can generally get hit, then let them whiff any follow-up attack before actually getting up.

*may not apply to the bullshit novas? Can’t remember the specific rules of it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

FYI once you’re down, your character will STAY down for a bit longer if you don’t press anything. You’re completely* invulnerable in this state so you can generally get hit, then let them whiff any follow-up attack before actually getting up.

*may not apply to the bullshit novas? Can’t remember the specific rules of it

It does, there's been multiple instances where I take a hit from Teo and he immediately rises up and I start praying my hunter stays down long enough to avoid the incoming nova.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yeah, elemental resistance and Divine are good poo poo. As an aside, if you get an elemental defense to at least 20, then you are immune to that elemental blight, as well, so you don't need to bring blight resistance. Even if your armor set has an elemental weakness, decorations and eating for Elemental (L) can usually make up for it and get you to 20, though you'll lose the food bonus if you cart, until you can eat again.

Elders were also where I started to embrace the wallbang/wound cheesing that Iceborne is designed around. A few wallbangs are good for thousands of damage, between the actual bang and your follow-up attacks.

You can open against most monsters with two wallbangs. Equip Rocksteady mantle, have a Slinger Capacity decoration (so you can hold enough stones/etc. for two flinch shots), and immediately mount and wallbang the monster as it roars. Don't wound it yet, because that will enrage it. When it stands back up, mount and wallbang again (your Slinger deco will leave you enough ammo for this), and then wound it (as the second wallbang will enrage it anyway).

So: wallbang, attack, wallbang, wound. You'll have it down like clockwork in short order.

This will let you open most Iceborne fights by dealing thousands of damage and wounding the monster. It shortens fights considerably.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Also, put a sleep weapon on your palico. Even if the monster is enraged, you can wallbang them out of sleep for even more free damage. :)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Also, put a sleep weapon on your palico. Even if the monster is enraged, you can wallbang them out of sleep for even more free damage. :)
speaking of wallbanging out of sleep and free damage, if there happens to be a wall..... bring some bombs :pram:

https://i.imgur.com/Bsk5PSh.mp4

(this never stops being funny to me)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kyrosiris posted:

Bonus points if you put your bombs in the wallbang path so they explode him as he collides with the wall. Sometimes easier said than done since the way a monster sleeps doesn't always line up with the direction they are pointing.

I picked up MHW again on PC and started playing it again after putting it down back early on in the Rajang patch. I took advantage of the event to Run a bunch of Safijiva and pick up all the weapons I'd want. I think I'm more or less squared away for the moment on armor - I've got most of Teo's set, 2 pieces of rajang, 2 pieces of Uri when I'm rolling something shielded, 3 piece Zorah for Gunlance shenannigans

I think I'm pretty much good on farm and ready to push on in progress. I just leveled up Guiding Badlands to 4, I think I still need to unlock the mission to get it higher. Going to push for Gold/Silver Rath and then do the mission for Raging Brach, Raging Rajang, and whatever else comes after that.

I noticed with the Sword and Shield I had normally been using Teo + Uri armor, but I really don't block enough with it to really matter. I'm guessing I'm probably better off getting the Tigrex (or whichever one that comes with improved speed eating) and kitting the S&S out for wide range and free meal for support nonsense?

Edit: ^^^ Great Minds think alike and all huh?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Sleep on palico is real good

https://i.imgur.com/h5213NG.mp4

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Could someone smart post some words on rise hammer? From what I can tell you want to be in blue except swapping to yellow for a quick impact meteor?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So I've been playing MH:W and just got to Iceborne. Been using the Defender line of weapons but since that upgrade path ends at 7 rarity, I'm looking for where I can upgrade but there are so many options! I know weapons are situational but wondering what would be considered a good solid general use weapon to work toward? Using SnS

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

DeathSandwich posted:

Bonus points if you put your bombs in the wallbang path so they explode him as he collides with the wall. Sometimes easier said than done since the way a monster sleeps doesn't always line up with the direction they are pointing.

I picked up MHW again on PC and started playing it again after putting it down back early on in the Rajang patch. I took advantage of the event to Run a bunch of Safijiva and pick up all the weapons I'd want. I think I'm more or less squared away for the moment on armor - I've got most of Teo's set, 2 pieces of rajang, 2 pieces of Uri when I'm rolling something shielded, 3 piece Zorah for Gunlance shenannigans

You can meld Guard Up now, don’t wear uragaan, it’s pants.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fridge corn posted:

So I've been playing MH:W and just got to Iceborne. Been using the Defender line of weapons but since that upgrade path ends at 7 rarity, I'm looking for where I can upgrade but there are so many options! I know weapons are situational but wondering what would be considered a good solid general use weapon to work toward? Using SnS

Pukei pukei sword is solid and works until you reach the IB credits. This goes for MR weapons with pukei pukei versions in general as they have good sharpness and solid damage which is comparable to similar raw weapons that don’t also come with bonus poison

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

fridge corn posted:

Defender will carry you pretty much all the way to the end of High Rank, you'll probably want to upgrade to one of the Master Rank weapons ASAP even if it is just the basic bitch metal/bone variants. IIRC the Master Rank Pukei Pukei (both poison and water) are both pretty okay break-in weapons as well and you fight both the associated monsters pretty early on in Master Rank. Lightning and Fire element tends to be pretty good for the early to mid points of Iceborne.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the ~*M E T A *~ progression for SnS through Iceborne is Lumu Nightmare 1 (Paolumu) to Rose Highness (Rathian/Pink Rathian) to Royal Nova (50 shades event quest). From there you jump to raging then fatty.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Looks like there will be special joy con replacements for the Switch coming around.

https://www.capcom.co.jp/game/20210224/mh_rise_hori/

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I’m quite new to MH, having put in about 40 hours in MH Gen on the Switch and now moving over to world to keep me occupied until rise. I think I’m getting the hang of most things but what I don’t understand is the colored semi-circle under the monster on the mini-map. Sometimes it’s yellow, sometimes it’s red but I don’t get why it changes?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Star posted:

I’m quite new to MH, having put in about 40 hours in MH Gen on the Switch and now moving over to world to keep me occupied until rise. I think I’m getting the hang of most things but what I don’t understand is the colored semi-circle under the monster on the mini-map. Sometimes it’s yellow, sometimes it’s red but I don’t get why it changes?

Enrage. Their attack patterns change and if they aren't enraged you can flinch shot them into walls.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Monsters have a hidden rage meter that gradually fills as you smack them around. When enraged they attack faster, deal more damage, and some attack patterns change too (rathian does two tail flips instead of one). Also some monsters cant be flashed or sonic bombed while enraged. And they break out of traps much faster (while staying in traps for longer when tired/hungry).

In older games, you'd have to look at the monster to tell when they were in rage mode. Usually smoke would come out of their mouths. Or brachy was easier since he'd change colors. In world/IB you can just look at the mini map. The semi-circle (its a monster eye but feel free to call it a taco) shows yellow for normal and red for rage. Monsters typically go into rage faster the higher the difficulty, with grank/mr monsters enraged constantly.

Like previous poster said (if you own iceborne expansion) you can only flinch shot monsters into walls that aren't enraged. So look for the yellow eye. Doing so usually sends them directly into rage mode however, still worth it.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
To add to that, the "semi-circle" is actually a monster eye. So red = rage. Or it's a taco, and red = spicy.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
That makes more sense. At first I thought it had something to do with their health but it seemed weird to have both the skull and the red taco.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

BabyRyoga posted:

Looks like there will be special joy con replacements for the Switch coming around.

https://www.capcom.co.jp/game/20210224/mh_rise_hori/

If only they weren't so noisy.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

i’m so happy that after all my many trials and tribulations, it turns out Nergigante was the real friend I made along the way.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

new kind of cat posted:

i’m so happy that after all my many trials and tribulations, it turns out Nergigante was the real friend I made along the way.

Now get to MR100 so you can kill him. :v:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

gently caress Kushala Dora.

That is all.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Finally got around to getting the Zinogre HBG. What do people like for their shotgun HBG armor/decos? I'm real bad, so something pretty of cozy will probably work better for me than glass cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

Finally got around to getting the Zinogre HBG. What do people like for their shotgun HBG armor/decos? I'm real bad, so something pretty of cozy will probably work better for me than glass cannon.

Put in shield mods and guard five, get health boost and divine blessing, it’s one of the comfiest builds in the game albeit more than a little brain dead. Then fit in as much of spread up, free element/ammo up, crit boost and weakness exploit, and affinity as you can. Depends on where you are in the postgame for what armor would best support that. Eg this video predates most of the DLC so might give you a feeling for stuff to get early

https://youtu.be/TSUldj6WfRo

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 26, 2021