Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

But like, those noted bad parts aside, I never had any issues with getting the core poo poo I needed? Would more Attack+ been nice? Sure, but I never had a build where specifically that Attack+ and nothing else was a pivotal part of the build to where using a basic Attack deco or a Attack/whatever didn't make it like 99% of the way there. v:shobon:v

I had 200+ hours in World without an Artillery or Capacity Boost deco, which royally hosed up my ability to much of anything interesting build-wise with Charge Blade. Same for Guard - didn't have a single one. After 200 or so hours I gave in and finally melder sniped a Capacity Boost deco when that used to be possible on PS4. That one deco along with an Artillery charm let me move of those ugly dodogama legs and do fun builds with AT gear, ugh.

The big differences with the charm grind in GU which I did for a grand total of maybe 1 hour over 2 sessions are:
- You only needed a good charm in any one of the skills you wanted to be able to do your build.
- You did the Brachy side quest to get a large number of possibly rubbish charms, not necessarily the god charm. I got all my decent charms through melding those trash charms while doing normal quests.
- A god level charm only added a level or two in one of your skills, it didn't make or break them.

World's deco drops are doing RNG over a very large number of possible drops, which is what fucks it up.

Shine posted:

Remove all RNG and let us craft everything. This game is good enough to be played on its own merits, and doesn't need to do the whole "better make people grind stuff so that they'll play 4x as long" bit.

E: This basically:

Your Computer posted:

i mean you didn't just have lower dps tho. you also had severely restricted build options and you looked like a garbage fire

i'm still mad that i never got a guard up deco

The restricted build options are what made it bad. Along with Dodo legs for days.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah the biggest worry about Rise is that some early reports are that it locks a bunch of gunner skills to charms only for some godforsaken reason after unfucking decos.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That would suck. Is this from datamining?

E: If so, there's hope that they're still adjusting those tables.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zore posted:

Yeah the biggest worry about Rise is that some early reports are that it locks a bunch of gunner skills to charms only for some godforsaken reason after unfucking decos.

This is the price those heathens have to pay for Sticky Spam

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Was shocked to find out that Amazon had Switch Pro controllers available in stock for 2 day shipping. Got mine in today in preparation for Rise (I've never had a pro controller and I like playing on the TV). They were out of stock for ages so heads up if you're looking for one.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Any idea why my demo is updating? I already the V2 demo, but it's been updating for 15 minutes or so.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ohhhh it's preloading the full game, looks like. It's not the same entry as the demo. Never mind.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah Nintendo charged my credit card this afternoon for the pre-order

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I got charged sometime yesterday but I haven't noticed the download yet.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
One thing nice about this quarantine and lock down is I don't have to go out on my birthday with friends and instead can grind Nargacuga until my eyes bleed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat switch axe is fun

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

eonwe posted:

drat switch axe is fun

:yeah:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I just killed Velkhana in the IB story quest using a lance (with elder seal), guard 5, and guard up from the Uragaan set- it still managed to cart me twice and took like 40 minutes to knock out.

Even though I beat it, I feel very little satisfaction and am legit stumped on how I would even approach this fight with a weapon that doesn't have an indestructible shield that can block literally every attack. The nonstop pressure from this thing is ridiculous!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I just killed Velkhana in the IB story quest using a lance (with elder seal), guard 5, and guard up from the Uragaan set- it still managed to cart me twice and took like 40 minutes to knock out.

Even though I beat it, I feel very little satisfaction and am legit stumped on how I would even approach this fight with a weapon that doesn't have an indestructible shield that can block literally every attack. The nonstop pressure from this thing is ridiculous!

Completely felt the same way when I finally eeked out a win on LS against it.
Trust me in a few hunts time you'll be stomping Velkhana into stupid snow without a care in the world

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

It's all about dodge timing, and knowing that Velkhana never does anything once that it can do two or three times (depending on how far along the fight is). A lot of Velkhana's moves are very linear so they'll miss provided you dodge perpendicular to them.

Glavenus is pretty good practice for Velkhana, I find.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The best, and I genuinely mean this, weapon for Velk is Dual Blades with a sprinkle of evade window. You can dodge through every ice attack and just push endless offense on the dumb monster. Rather than defense, maximum mobility is key for that fight.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Velk feels like an absolutely overwhelming fight the first few times because it's such an aggressive monster that will give you no room to breathe without creating an opening. Once you get adept at managing the stabs and breaths, you can start hitting back and exploit it's glass jaw. You can get knockdowns on most elder dragons by bopping their heads, but velk gets particularly messed up.

Also, worth mentioning that velk has pretty terrible elemental hit zones, so you're gonna lose some damage with element heavy builds.

I wouldn't stress too much about it, most people find velk challenging the first few hunts but it's not too bad after that.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
https://youtu.be/F4sNVjpAxLI

This is a good guide for velkhana. He is very chaotic when you first face him but once you learn how his moves work he's one of the most fun fights in the game imo.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The best, and I genuinely mean this, weapon for Velk is Insect Glaive with a sprinkle of evade window. You can dodge through every ice attack and just push endless offense on the dumb monster. Rather than defense, maximum mobility is key for that fight.

ftfy. Being able to be in the air makes dodging the majority of Velk's attacks very easy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Evil Kit posted:

ftfy. Being able to be in the air makes dodging the majority of Velk's attacks very easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv1kGZhLqek

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Being in the air is for cowards. My bug friends and I fight on the ground.

Also I genuinely find ground combat with insect glaive more fun and interesting.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

How dare you.

Ethiser posted:

Being in the air is for cowards. My bug friends and I fight on the ground.

Also I genuinely find ground combat with insect glaive more fun and interesting.

Ground combat is def best for damage, being able to aerial to keep up the damage while dodging is cool and good though! Def don't want to base your entire offense around air based combat though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

but they buffed insect glaive air attacks...............

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Filthy Haiku posted:

Velk feels like an absolutely overwhelming fight the first few times because it's such an aggressive monster that will give you no room to breathe without creating an opening. Once you get adept at managing the stabs and breaths, you can start hitting back and exploit it's glass jaw. You can get knockdowns on most elder dragons by bopping their heads, but velk gets particularly messed up.

Also, worth mentioning that velk has pretty terrible elemental hit zones, so you're gonna lose some damage with element heavy builds.

I wouldn't stress too much about it, most people find velk challenging the first few hunts but it's not too bad after that.
Ah, yes- I did get two or three knockdowns in a row at one point which was surprising. Felt like I was using a long pointy hammer.

Does it make sense to even bother with a fire or dragon elemental weapon for Velk? I know raw damage is generally better for the lance, but figured elderseal would help out in some way since it is an elder dragon.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

https://youtu.be/F4sNVjpAxLI

This is a good guide for velkhana. He is very chaotic when you first face him but once you learn how his moves work he's one of the most fun fights in the game imo.
Very helpful, thank you! I definitely had the same dissatisfied reaction to my first nergigante kill, but fighting it again felt better and better. Guess it's just a practice thing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Unless they are the only way to hit a monster the air attacks never felt worth it from a defensive standpoint. I can’t see the monster as well and the odds of me being swatted out of the air by an attack I can’t see always felt way too high.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Before they added the divebomb there wasn't much reason to go airborne outside of mounts and to hit flying monsters. But the divebomb is so good you can you it as a gap closer or to reposition. And it wrecks velkhana like some said. Just vault over all of its ice bs and divebomb its face

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The best, and I genuinely mean this, weapon for Velk is LBG with fire ammo. You can dodge 90% of its attacks by pushing a direction on the control stick while you do full damage.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx-B0Yp7BiY

it's true

I spent a few nights trying to get all the iceborne crowns before giving up

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Actually the best weapon for Velkhana is the hammer because you can slide on the ice patches it leaves on the ground as through they were downhill slopes and constantly launch into the jumping spin attack with reckless abandon. It's surprising how often you don't get hit doing it!

Also one thing that helps a lot with the fight (as detailed in that Artful Dodger video) is recognizing that whenever it does attacks that make ice pillars erupt out of the ground to hit you, that only deals damage in the instant that they appear, and they have neither a hitbox nor collision after that, so you can safely walk right into a big wall of ice as long as you were outside of it initially.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hammer hit dragon face :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That is the proper way to hammer. :hmmyes:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I took out Hana with Switch Axe, Dual Blades and Great Sword in my playthroughs. In a lot of ways it's easier that using anything Shield based, especially if you build for dragon or fire.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

hammer

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
time

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmZZG80TmME

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwxTZaa3NgI

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have 2 hunts and 5 mini crowns left between me and 100% GU. Wonder if I'll make it by Friday.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Folks I think this game is out soon.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

v1ld posted:

rainy using LS counters in World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z2YFqGKkvw

And some insane stuff in MHXX, but using Brave LS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOC2rhy7Fc

Their comment on that second video is pretty telling in the effort that has to have gone in to get those perfect runs: "this has been my goal since a long time ago, and now I'm satisfied with MHXX."

I don't know LS, I just like watching rainy.

Seeing numbers like that, I wonder why I am so stuck on maining bow. Really, I am fighting monsters in melee range anyway, I should probably branch out and try a new weapon.

Doesn't help that I played Bow for 300 hours before finally crafting a Mighty Bow gem and realizing I've almost literally been doing half damage the whole time?

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Folks I think this game is not out soon enough.

:negative: