Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Just KO'd Rathian during her flying lunge by cracking her skull with a superpound, and god drat I love Hunting Horn. Also bagged my first Savage Deviljho with Horn, so that's another fight where I no longer have to switch to Lance :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

just played monster hunter for like 6 hours and brought two complete newbies up to speed to beating mizutsune in the rise demo

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
i am going to make so many monsters into hats

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So if everyone is happy, I'm going to make the new OP Monday morning. Here's where it stands after feedback.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842457&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1750#post513284845

And I guess we need a new thread title, at least as a placeholder until some inside joke changes it. Suggestions?

Heike
Dec 26, 2013
Monster Hunter: Double Dog Dash Tower Defense

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Monster Hunter: PalaMUTE the Monster with Earplugs

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Huxley posted:

So if everyone is happy, I'm going to make the new OP Monday morning. Here's where it stands after feedback.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842457&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1750#post513284845

And I guess we need a new thread title, at least as a placeholder until some inside joke changes it. Suggestions?

Looks great, but poor SnS: "shield sucks but you can use items". How about : "Very mobile weapon with fast and fluid combos. Only weapon that can use items with the weapon drawn."? Or something more positive that describes what is can do rather than its drawbacks?

Nitpicking though, it's a great OP.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

v1ld posted:

Looks great, but poor SnS: "shield sucks but you can use items". How about : "Very mobile weapon with fast and fluid combos. Only weapon that can use items with the weapon drawn."? Or something more positive that describes what is can do rather than its drawbacks?

Nitpicking though, it's a great OP.

This is fair, I'll rework it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I think some of the description of the ranged category is in the LBG description.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OP doesn’t shame LS nearly enough.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

OP looks good! This is more a personal choice, but I think the weapon names should always be capitalized, as if they were proper nouns. There are a few points in the OP where a weapon name is capitalized mid-sentence and I think it reads better. Odd as it is, the weapons in this game are basically characters and it feels like they should be capitalized.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Monster Hunter: Turn Off the English Voices

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Monster Hunter with Dog

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Monster Hunter: Nintendogs 2

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

OP doesn’t shame LS nearly enough.

Shame belongs on the one foolish enough to not run 1 level of anti-flinch. (Or whatever the stat is.)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Huxley posted:

Monster Hunter Rise: This franchise is going to the dogs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Monster Hunter: Our Workplace is Pet Friendly

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

boz posted:

Monster Hunter: Turn Off the English Voices

You will take my British hunter taking the monster for walkies and laughing at her own puns from my cold dead hands.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'll probably play with English voices on the first time through so that I don't have to read subtitles mid-hunt when they're saying story/gameplay-relevant stuff, but the character quips are going straight to 0%. The quips just seem so mean. Like, this is a game about humans being very mean, but it feels less lighthearted when your character is yelling "YOU'RE GONNA loving DIE" every 5 seconds.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shine posted:

I'll probably play with English voices on the first time through so that I don't have to read subtitles mid-hunt when they're saying story/gameplay-relevant stuff, but the character quips are going straight to 0%. The quips just seem so mean. Like, this is a game about humans being very mean, but it feels less lighthearted when your character is yelling "YOU'RE GONNA loving DIE" every 5 seconds.

*starts carving monster*

"C'MON I NEED A NEW PAIR OF BOOTS!"

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Monster Hunter Rise: Turning off the hunter voices cause my character wont stop misgendering Rathian

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Monster Hunter Rise: I’m gonna take SO many pictures with my dog(s)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Carve carve carve.

Carve carve carve.

Carve carve carve.

IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL my hunter says as she backflips away from the monster to run away and heal.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shine posted:

I would keep them on if this was what they actually said

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hope you've got insurance

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Carve carve carve.

All the floors in Hyrule.

quote:

Carve carve carve.

All the floors in Gamelon.

quote:

Carve carve carve.

My ship in the morning.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
What controller are y'all using to play Rise with? Joycons, Pro controller, etc.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lastdancer posted:

What controller are y'all using to play Rise with? Joycons, Pro controller, etc.

I'm using the Hori Split Pad Pro while undocked, and a Pro Controller while docked.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

Pro Controller, which I also use on PC playing World. I've pre-ordered the 8bitdo Pro 2, as well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lastdancer posted:

I've got an 8Bitdo dongle coming that will hopefully let me play Rise with my PS4 controller.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

gunning with a pro controller leaves my hands in screaming pain after just a few minutes so i'm using that 8bitdo thing with a ps4 controller

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna miss valor mode.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

I've got an 8Bitdo dongle coming that will hopefully let me play Rise with my PS4 controller.

lets hang out posted:

gunning with a pro controller leaves my hands in screaming pain after just a few minutes so i'm using that 8bitdo thing with a ps4 controller

Oh wow! I was looking to possibly get a pro controller but if the 8bitdo adapter works well enough with a PS4 controller I'm up for trying that. Is this the one?
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Blu...16357452&sr=8-3

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

In Training posted:

I'm gonna miss valor mode.

:same:

Valor DB and HBG will be sorely missed

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I got the 8bitdo set up and the ps4 controller works beautifully when docked

Thinking about hori split pad for handheld but i played through GU with joycons no problem. Well except when they randomly drift every once in a blue moon...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lastdancer posted:

Oh wow! I was looking to possibly get a pro controller but if the 8bitdo adapter works well enough with a PS4 controller I'm up for trying that. Is this the one?
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Blu...16357452&sr=8-3

yeah that's the one I have. had a little trouble getting it working at first but after updating the firmware it's worked flawlessly since. note it won't wake up the switch from sleep mode because nintendo doesn't let 3rd party controllers do that. been using it for pc too, no problems just moving it back and forth as needed.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I appreciate you

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

lets hang out posted:

yeah that's the one I have. had a little trouble getting it working at first but after updating the firmware it's worked flawlessly since. note it won't wake up the switch from sleep mode because nintendo doesn't let 3rd party controllers do that. been using it for pc too, no problems just moving it back and forth as needed.

Sweet; alright I read up on it and ordered one. Thanks for the heads up peeps

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lastdancer posted:

Sweet; alright I read up on it and ordered one. Thanks for the heads up peeps

Heads up 8bitdo is releasing a new controller (the pro 2) like a week after Rise launches. Check it out as it seems to be a solid improvement with tons of features (mainly back buttons and fully customizable buttons with macro support)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Heads up 8bitdo is releasing a new controller (the pro 2) like a week after Rise launches. Check it out as it seems to be a solid improvement with tons of features (mainly back buttons and fully customizable buttons with macro support)

Oh, nice! Good to know; yeah that customization software looks really robust and the back buttons would be a nice addition for this. Thanks!