Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What's up ground floor, who's hype for the beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
If you switch off the incessant tutorial VO I guess you'll never hear "so tasty" at all...

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Space Hamlet posted:

If you switch off the incessant tutorial VO I guess you'll never hear "so tasty" at all...

pre-order canceled
ps4 smashed

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

this is a travesty

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What's up ground floor, who's hype for the beta?

Gonna renew my psplus for it. Even thought I dont care about the games it gives me soooooooo yeah.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Funkmaster General posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ohXbAG2Dc

14:05 for cooking music/timing change.

Sorry, hard to link to a timestamp on my phone.

Well, that's gonna gently caress with my muscle memory.

Once more for the road:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Excited to renew my PS+ subscription and play the """""""beta""""""" in a week

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

Excited to renew my PS+ subscription and play the """""""beta""""""" in a week

:same: I got it for 40 on sale black Friday. Was going to wait for a game I cared about. But beta is it.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I think I'm going to avoid the demo. I play Monster Hunter so goddamn much when a new game comes out (usually ending up with a good 300-400 hours by the time I set it aside) and I was starting to feel so burned out with the MH formula after 4 and Gen back to back that I really want to get into World fresh. This is one of the biggest updates to the series since the PS2 original and I want to love it as much as it deserves.

Also it comes out soon before my birthday so that's awesome.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I just hope people don't get turned off of the game if the beta is buggy or what not. I'm going to try and use this game to drag more friends into the franchise.

At least I already owned a PS4, didn't need to buy a console like I did the WiiU for MH3U.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, the "beta" is basically the demo they take to trade shows so I doubt it has that many bugs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If anything it's more likely they'll get a misguided impression of the game due to the monster having lowered stats, so they'll think that 5 minutes is a typical length of time to kill a monster and you can take 15 hits before carting

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have never been super interested in Monster Hunter because the combat always looked super awkward, but what I have seen in this game has me very intrigued.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Argas posted:

Well, the "beta" is basically the demo they take to trade shows so I doubt it has that many bugs.

The beta part is probably just network testing to see how badly the servers blow up when people are actually playing.

Digirat posted:

If anything it's more likely they'll get a misguided impression of the game due to the monster having lowered stats, so they'll think that 5 minutes is a typical length of time to kill a monster and you can take 15 hits before carting

All the previous demos did the exact same thing and I don't think it dissuaded any more people that it already did. :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mostly the fact that every games site ever is trying to advertise this one as being the "perfect place for new players to jump in" "now's the time to start" etc

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

marshmallow creep posted:

I have never been super interested in Monster Hunter because the combat always looked super awkward, but what I have seen in this game has me very intrigued.

the basics of combat look like they are the same. you are still going to attack and be locked in which some people think is really stiff or whatever.

try the demo

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Brace yourself. Combat still seems mostly the same - but last few games have made subtle tweaks that have made control a bit more flexible. The game still appears very much focused on deliberation, so expect extremely clunky slow attacks and action with heavy commit.

The plus side I would say is there seems to be a lot more to the 'hunts' than combat, where past games were basically "whack it until it dies".

Definitely check the beta, but hope you can enjoy it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

gently caress yes, game looks awesome. First timer here and very excited. My best friend and I are buying day 1 and playing together. Just 2 months now until life owns bones.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I cannot wait to be the explodey axe anime lumberjack I can never be in real life

THANK YOU VIDEO GAME

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So excited for the beta, have a all day Pathfinder/Friensgiving scheduled for Saturday though, so my Sunday is going to be spent hunting!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The OP is frustrating me because unless they changed something for world, capturing does not give more parts! It just gives a different drop-table, and with only a roughly 2/3rds chance to give the same number of drops (3), It usually gives LESS rewards! EMALDE :argh:

Everything else rules, though

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 3, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Usually they have better rates for the good stuff though? At least different rates. When farming I def used the app and find what I should break/if I should kill or capture. It was always capture like 80% of the time.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Bombadilillo posted:

Usually they have better rates for the good stuff though? At least different rates. When farming I def used the app and find what I should break/if I should kill or capture. It was always capture like 80% of the time.

Those apps dont factor in the 2/3rds thing, though. Its usually wayyyyy closer. I'm just saying the information given should reflect that instead of saying it usually gives more.

Personally speaking I capture if I'm targetting a specific part, and save my traps otherwise.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Generations was super weird about capping in general and a lot of the rares are actually not on the capture table. I blame the Frontier team's involvement at least in part for that, since that's similarly how it works in the MMO because the logic there is "numbers bloat == longer hunts" & "capping == shorter hunts == lower risk == handicap"

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

CuddlyZombie posted:

Those apps dont factor in the 2/3rds thing, though. Its usually wayyyyy closer. I'm just saying the information given should reflect that instead of saying it usually gives more.

Personally speaking I capture if I'm targetting a specific part, and save my traps otherwise.

If something has even a 1% higher chance with capping, it is better to capture than carve. Even taking into consideration you only get 2 and 2/3 drops.

So capturing gets you more rare rewards, but less rewards over all. If you need multiple of a common drop, like scales, then you kill.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

capturing also saves at least a couple minutes usually (for me at least) so over time that adds up to more drops as well

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah against certain monsters it's worth it to load up Capture Guru and cap ASAP just so you're not spending a second longer fighting it than you absolutely have to. That's how I cleared the Ivory Lag/Brachy/Azure Los quest in 3U. The second that last icon started flashing and I knew it was finally over, that was unforgettable. I mean, probably not as unforgettable as being Actually Good At Video Games and clearing it normally, but still pretty good.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Yeah, the true advantage of capturing WRT getting a bunch of non-specific materials is reducing hunt times by 20%ish, which is huge.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Capturing looked real easy in World. In the video the guy put on gilliemantle and walked right up to the sleeping monster and set a trap inside it's hitbox and it just went off before it woke.

Don't know if it will be that way in the final version

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As someone that only played the first Monster Hunter on PSP for like 10-12 hours. Wich PSP game should I play to warm until MHW release? Because after looking at the gameplay videos I'm so buying this game.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Portable 3rd if you can get your hands on it, Freedom Unite if you can't.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Assuming your PSP is homebrew-capable, Portable 3rd is fully-translated into English and even if it much less raw content has much better monsters and hitboxes than Freedom Unite.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 4, 2017

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
And if it's not homebrew-capable, it's easy to fix that. And if you want to play it in high def, PPSSPP has come a VERY long way, and is phenomenal on a modern PC, even better with Vulkan.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pierson posted:

Assuming your PSP is homebrew-capable, Portable 3rd is fully-translated into English and even if it much less raw content has much better monsters and hitboxes than Freedom Unite.

G-Prime posted:

And if it's not homebrew-capable, it's easy to fix that. And if you want to play it in high def, PPSSPP has come a VERY long way, and is phenomenal on a modern PC, even better with Vulkan.

Both options are viable, my PSP (PSP2000 1st gen) can play anything and I also have PPSSPP on PC (64bit version) wich works really well. Gonna try and get Portable 3rd (I hope I can play it in english at least) then, if not I have already Freedom unite ready to play. Thanks!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How do these games play out in multiplayer when you have different players with a spectrum of gear levels? As in if we have a group that would play together but some people play 20x more than others will it make the game a total cake walk if those 20x players team up with the lowbie people?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Captain Beans posted:

How do these games play out in multiplayer when you have different players with a spectrum of gear levels? As in if we have a group that would play together but some people play 20x more than others will it make the game a total cake walk if those 20x players team up with the lowbie people?

Yeah, it will.

Generally if you are playing with polite hunters, they will "dress down" by equipping old gear to be more appropriately powered, but if they play that much more, they'll be that much better and that much more familiar with the fights, and you can't strip that part away.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

playing with way behind friends is the perfect excuse to bust out a weapon you've been meaning to try instead of your main

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

Not quite to the same extent as an MMO because your stats don't increase by orders of magnitude as you progress, and you can still fail a quest if the lowbie people die a total of three times (which they'll always be capable of doing), but yeah the game is very notably easy if a top-geared player joins a low-end quest. Usually the high-end player will grab a crappy weapon they have lying around if they want to keep things fun for everyone; since your character build is all gear-based it's very easy to "de-level" yourself.

It's also kind of a disservice to power-level a new player through a bunch of low-end content because the game is more about building your own personal skillset and understanding of how to deal with monsters then it is just progressing, so you're really just delivering them into fights that they'll have no idea how to handle.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Gear only decreases the time you take for a quest, whether you have an easy or hard time with it is entirely up to the player, not the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Bombadilillo posted:

Capturing looked real easy in World. In the video the guy put on gilliemantle and walked right up to the sleeping monster and set a trap inside it's hitbox and it just went off before it woke.

Don't know if it will be that way in the final version

Isn't that pretty much how it's always been?