Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

i poop fire posted:

I'm working on my first character, a temple knight, and progressed to around lvl 45. I stopped seeing anything but rogues/dual-swordmans around 38, did I goof by making a tank?
High-level play (especially in elite dungeon and clan dungeon) requires teamwork, and tanks and healers factor into that. Damage dealers are easier to use in single-player and are more straightforward, so they're favored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
As a 120 TK I can say, hang in there. Right around 60-70 you hit a money wall but once your gear catches up and you luck out with some life drain substats you're pretty much immune to the game.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Inimicul posted:

As a 120 TK I can say, hang in there. Right around 60-70 you hit a money wall but once your gear catches up and you luck out with some life drain substats you're pretty much immune to the game.

Well that's good news. I'll stick to it then. Are there any skillup/gear traps I can avoid to make things easier? I already screwed up by not resetting until I got a decent weapon. Through event rewards I ended up with 2 S-rank dynasty swords, is combining them a dumb idea?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Combining S gear is expensive but if it's the best you've got, you gotta do what you gotta do. Your other option is to just use stones to upgrade it. I constantly seem to have more weapon stones than I need and am constantly starved for jewelry stones. If the weapon has a substat you like, stones are your best option since a combine rerolls everything including the type of weapon it is. It wouldn't surprise me if you combined them and got an axe.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I can combine two sword/shields and get something I can't even equip? Oh god. Glad I asked before I did it. One of them has HP drain, so I assume I'm upgrading that one once I get some more stones.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

i poop fire posted:

I can combine two sword/shields and get something I can't even equip? Oh god. Glad I asked before I did it. One of them has HP drain, so I assume I'm upgrading that one once I get some more stones.

Definitely

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Level 180 coming soon: http://l2.netmarble.com/en/news#notice/view/13050/all

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

My guess is the middle of next week, maybe the Tuesday or Wednesday reset will come with the patch as well.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

L2R posted:

Inv Expansion to 400

Now I know what to spend my red crystals on that day. Hoard mode engaged.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Also note that there are two parts to the patch notes, with part 2 probably coming in a few days. Wonder if we are getting PvE rares as well.

My understanding is that they increase the rare combine rate overall since there will be 2 sets you can get out of it. Kind of thinking PvE rares are in part 2, it would make a sort of sense with the combine event right before the patch, encouraging you to get your PvP rares now before the RNG fucks you with only PvE rares forever!

Phayray fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 11, 2018

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Looks like they changed the wording in the 180 update announcement from "mid-January" to "the latter half of January" so no guarantee we'll get it next week, RIP. More time to prepare, however - save your daily Einhasad pots, your A grade scroll boxes, and your SP going forward so you can get a good head start.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I've been selling the enhance/upgrade/summoning things I get while grinding on the trading post. I'm level 61 and my gear is all whatever S/R random nonsense I picked up, is there anything I should spend the blue diamonds on? Or should I just sit on them for later.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

i poop fire posted:

I've been selling the enhance/upgrade/summoning things I get while grinding on the trading post. I'm level 61 and my gear is all whatever S/R random nonsense I picked up, is there anything I should spend the blue diamonds on? Or should I just sit on them for later.

This is a good move, and for anyone that doesn't know - if you're F2P, sell all of your tradeable enhance scrolls and Maphr's (I keep upgrade stones because I need them so badly) on the trading post. Check to see how many are at min price - I think for accessory enhance scrolls you can go a bit above minimum since they're high demand, but I think I do minimum for everything else.

Then, go to Shop -> Collector Shop -> Login Diamond. It's 2k red diamonds for 1k blue diamonds and you should have this constantly going if possible. By selling only enhance scrolls and farming AFK overnight I can sustain the 1k blue diamonds a week as I typically get ~200 worth of blue diamonds a night. With the 2k red diamonds per week, plus the login bonuses/other various sources of red diamonds (such as dailies, arena ranking reward, etc), I'm able to support double resets on upgrade stone days for the daily dungeon and double subquest scroll resets everyday, plus 2-3 arena resets past the usual 5.

Also note that on the 7th day of the login reward, you can collect the reward, exit the shop, then go back into it to start the next one - so you collect 200 for day 7, then 600 + 200 for day 1 of the next one.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil: Unsubstantiated conspiracy theory-type information incoming! Take this post with an enormous grain of salt! :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Since Hulkbuster asked - there is a belief within certain circles that scrolling text increases enhance/loot box chances. That is, when you see text scrolling across the top of your screen saying "SoAndSo successfully enhanced <item> to +15 (or higher)," then you receive increased chances during the scroll period. There are a bunch of variations on the theory with different degrees of specificity, with the parameters being: when you open the forge (many say you can't open the forge until the text starts scrolling), whether or not the person succeeded or failed, the slot (and if you should do the same slot), or the exact item (and if you should do the exact same item). All of them agree that you must press the combine button before the text is finished. As far as I know there's no empirical data substantiating this and no attempt to really gather it due to the many slight variations.

Because we're on one of the more populated and whale-ridden servers, if you're patient, it may be worth doing. If it works, you increase your odds, and if it doesn't, you haven't really lost anything except time and maybe your sanity. We get scrolling text very regularly and sometimes you'll catch SkeletonJack or Regan bashing their credit card into the game for 15 straight minutes, giving you plenty of opportunities. I've personally had great luck using this "trick" with my weapon, going from +12 to +20 without any failures, however it could just be that - good luck, with a note that the odds of doing this were about 1.5% (12+1+1+1+2+3, with the last 3 being blessed enhances). I've also had exceptionally bad A+A combine luck so maybe it's just the universe evening things out, who knows!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
This song pretty much sums it up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dw9qqvm-LT8

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:thunk:

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Like I said it's totally unsubstantiated and a bit counter-intuitive that Netmarbles would put anything in their game that might reduce your compulsion to pull out your wallet. When I've done it I'm on my inventory screen already anyway when the text pops up, either because I'm AFK/semi-AFK farming and my auto-sell macro is running (and leaving it on inventory mitigates the Ericka Problem) or I'm running dailies and managing the pile of daily garbage I collect.

Reminds me of my FFXI days re: crazy conspiracy theory RNG things.

I'm just happy to hit +20 with my weapon so I can spam the server with scrolling failure text like the big boys.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 16, 2018

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
I just picked this game up yesterday. It should soothe my MMO needs with my super limited time.

I started and Elf Warrior and I just hit 10. I pulled an A rank sword and shield out of my level 10 box. I was thinking of going Sword Singer mostly because I like buffing and "bard" themed classes. Should I worry about not getting a good or even useful pull from this box? Should I even think about playing SWS if I'll primarily be dicking around solo (unless my schedule syncs up with you guys). I read they aren't that great but as long as I can still be useful I don't mind being suboptimal. I already claimed the 300 red crystal reward on this character but if that's not a big deal and you guys have a recommendation for a better class the I'm for it.

IGN: Pheart

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
Thanks Phayray for the info, I'll try out the theory tonight.

@J3ng4: I think you can pretty much play whatever class you want and it wouldn't matter too much. What does matter is the rare equipment you get further down the road. If somehow you get a rare weapon before you pick which subclass you are, to save grief, I'd go with whatever your rare weapon turns out to be.

I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly, and maybe someone else can elaborate?

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

J3ng4 posted:

I just picked this game up yesterday. It should soothe my MMO needs with my super limited time.

I started and Elf Warrior and I just hit 10. I pulled an A rank sword and shield out of my level 10 box. I was thinking of going Sword Singer mostly because I like buffing and "bard" themed classes. Should I worry about not getting a good or even useful pull from this box? Should I even think about playing SWS if I'll primarily be dicking around solo (unless my schedule syncs up with you guys). I read they aren't that great but as long as I can still be useful I don't mind being suboptimal. I already claimed the 300 red crystal reward on this character but if that's not a big deal and you guys have a recommendation for a better class the I'm for it.

IGN: Pheart

Just play whatever you find fun/interesting, you'll get gear eventually. When you do the class transfer quest at 31 you get an S-grade weapon selection box so you're guaranteed to get something for your class regardless. I've had poo poo luck on combines, not getting 3/4 of my armor rares and my rare weapon until after I hit 120 - you can do just fine without them as you progress through the story.

General equipment strategy, assuming you're not rerolling for a specific weapon or whaling out:
-At 31, pick the weapon that has the attribute that gives bonus damage vs elite monsters. For dual swords, this is Dual Sword of Revolution, or Scorpion if you're going with a spear. I have no clue how spear vs dual swords works out for Swordsinger, though that might be something worth researching. Focus on leveling this weapon up to SR level 30 with as many enhances as you can shove into it - this weapon will always be useful. The only time you should not focus on this weapon is if you luck out and pull a rare weapon out of the monthly login reward or some other random box. Once it's SR level 30, put your weapon fodder into A+A combines, and once you pull a rare, focus on that.
-Combine your armor up to R - that is, get it to A30, combine, get it to S30, then combine again. Make sure whatever slot you desire is on the left (ie. if you want gloves, combine A30 gloves with any other A30 gear, but put the gloves on the left to get gloves back out). That gives you 2 shots at a rare for each slot and saves you 30 upgrade stones, which you'll be hurting for later. If you don't pull a rare, leave your armor at R level 1 with +7 enhances, then start working on A+A combines to get a rare.
-Also make sure the armor type you want is on the left - if you want a plate-type rare, the left side of the combine should be blue wolf or nightmare for whatever slot you're trying to get.
-Rares have 20% more base stats than non-rare equipment so once you get a piece, focus on that over whatever you're wearing.

Reminder that this "theory" is like blowing on dice at a craps table and almost certainly pure confirmation bias. Don't expect anything!

Phayray fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 16, 2018

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Just pulled an R Dual Swords of Revolution.
I applied to Bangavel since I was too low for Banhammer.

Thanks for all the tips.

J3ng4 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 16, 2018

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

J3ng4 posted:

Thanks for all the tips.

If you decide you enjoy it and will keep playing actively, let me know and I can lower the req for Banhammer so we can get you in.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

J3ng4 posted:

Thanks for all the tips.

Level requirement for Banhammer lowered to 31 btw

I got my rare weapon right before the combine event, so nothing's really been done with it. It's at lvl 17 S, need to get to 30 SR. I have all the stones for both upgrades, but the adena required....
Just shoot me

Valicious fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 18, 2018

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
For those not aware, the 180 patch is officially dropping on the 23rd, probably at or around reset time, so it's a good idea to pool some resources if you're 120 - red diamonds for resets, exp pots, stuff like that.

Also if we get some people on we might try to run dungeons tonight, probably around the usual time.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Just transferred to Shillien Knight after two days of play and have been greatly enjoying this so far, though I'm steeling myself for progress to slow soon. Eager to see how far I can go though and have been reading up. Since you lowered the level requirement I applied to Banhammer as SteamedClam.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
The 180 patch maintenance is tonight from 9 PM to 4 AM EST (assuming it doesn't go over). As a result, dungeons and FP are canceled tonight and we can double up on Thursday. Unfortunate timing but that's Netmarble!

My favorite part is some people are extremely salty, saying they stayed up for the reset and took the day off even though they hadn't announced the maintenance time yet.

Also getting the rest of the parts for my new machine today so it'll give me time to get that going - gonna be so nice to replace this 8 year old box and the Radeon HD 5850...

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
I have a question about using the PC to play. If I'm playing on the IOS, am I out of luck? Or is there a legit way of playing on the pc?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DailyDumSum posted:

I have a question about using the PC to play. If I'm playing on the IOS, am I out of luck? Or is there a legit way of playing on the pc?

You should be able to link your account to facebook then use an android emulator to load your account via blue stacks.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Pro tip for losers like me who play this mobile game on a mobile device: while doing something that will run for a few minutes AFK (elite dungeons, weeklies), open up your mailbox or inventory while it runs. Significantly reduces the graphics strain on the battery.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

As a new player, I just want to state that I loathe Extraction Pit and getting one-shotted by someone 100 levels higher than me because I walked too close to the wrong mushroom.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

FunkMonkey posted:

As a new player, I just want to state that I loathe Extraction Pit and getting one-shotted by someone 100 levels higher than me because I walked too close to the wrong mushroom.

If it’s any comfort it’s no less stupid at max level. I’m around 415k CP and still run into the same three or four 600k+ people who love to farm half-afk flower pickers.

As an aside, there are 25 players on the server with 600k+ CP and the top player has 920k. :stare:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Guess I'll stick with my strategy of just grabbing 20 normals and getting the hell out for now.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

FunkMonkey posted:

Guess I'll stick with my strategy of just grabbing 20 normals and getting the hell out for now.

If people are being especially lovely, give one of us a shout in chat and maybe we can help. Nyx and I went in and wrecked some face so fartpuzzle could farm peacefully the other day.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

FunkMonkey posted:

Lmao I love to drop 450k CP on baby bunnies

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Phayray posted:

If people are being especially lovely, give one of us a shout in chat and maybe we can help. Nyx and I went in and wrecked some face so fartpuzzle could farm peacefully the other day.

Appreciate it, but it's been only just a minor nuisance every time other than once. I'll keep it in mind if it's a serious hindrance.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm still sitting at around 350k CP because I can't seem to get over the +13 barrier. I've wasted so many scrolls and cash, even when trying to text snipe. Is there a better way or do I just suffer and pray to RNGesus?

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Inimicul posted:

I'm still sitting at around 350k CP because I can't seem to get over the +13 barrier. I've wasted so many scrolls and cash, even when trying to text snipe. Is there a better way or do I just suffer and pray to RNGesus?

I'm at 450k and all my gear is only +11. (weapon is +14) just focus on upgrading and leveling your gear for now. All my left side is rare SR, but not all max leveled. My rings are SR, but all my other accessories are R.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Do PKs give honor points? I keep wondering what the point is outside of war.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Valicious posted:

I'm at 450k and all my gear is only +11. (weapon is +14) just focus on upgrading and leveling your gear for now. All my left side is rare SR, but not all max leveled. My rings are SR, but all my other accessories are R.

Womp womp

I've been farming as many accessory stones as I could to shift out of the Nassen set I had but there's a long way to go still. Also need a lot more stones to raise that chest piece I just got yesterday.

I kind of miss my Blue Wolf armor though. She really needs to stay on top of her shaving to wear these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
If people hop on tonight, we're gonna try to run dungeons, around the usual time of 9 or 930 EST, since we missed Tuesday due to the patch.

• Locked thread