Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaLwpoULKRY

Guys, the new season of GT beings in less than a week. This is pretty much all we have to look forward to until Kusher's indictment.

The first episode premieres on Amazon on Friday the 8th, replacing Thursdays as the best night of the week last winter. The season will contain 12 episodes, with the possibility of a special episode that airs in two parts (like the one with the dune buggies from last season).

Key changes for this season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzD_SnpWCpw
No more celebrity brain crash.

Also, the guys are getting too old to travel, so every episode will be hosted in the Cotswolds near Clarkson's house.

As far as content, we can expect to see both of Hammond's near death crashes. It looks like they filmed in fewer locations this season (Switzerland, Mozambique, the US, and Georgia (not the one of Sherman fame)), so maybe there will be more challenges or perhaps a consistent theme throughout the season?

Post all of your GT related nonsense ITT.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Rumor has it Sabine Schmidt replaced "the American"

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I'm glad they got rid of the American and celebrity brain crash. I still say they should just get straight up Ben Collins to be their driver.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Find a way to wrestle away the Stig from the BBC. The Stig was the perfect combination driver and running gag; nothing they can come up with will top that.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

No, but I think having the original Stig back would allow them to play off of those gags a bit

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Flikken posted:

Rumor has it Sabine Schmidt replaced "the American"

:flashfap: too good to be true though

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sabine is my favorite German

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Sabine is my favorite German

No offense Duzzy

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Syrian Lannister posted:

:flashfap: too good to be true though

James May said in an interview they went with a woman racing driver, that makes Sabine the top candidate considering her prior connections with the hosts.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85GSILNh6U4

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm gonna be sad when captain slow retires

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

First episode owned.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
"Fastest former talent show judge." loving amazing.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I love the note that it ends on

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Yep, that first episode was awesome.

One thing I don't like about this show on Amazon is that they release it once a week. :saddowns:

Give me my netflix-like fix, and just release the whole season damnit.... Except then I'd feel like poo poo for hammering it all down in one day, and watching the christmas special two weeks early, etc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I like it better this way. Gives me something to look forward to each week.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I like it better this way. Gives me something to look forward to each week.

Yeah same here. I think they also film the tent part each week, too, so they can stay more current with events.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Grand Tour Thread: Your Name is Dingleberry Handpump

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Jeremy Clarkson posted:

Raucous, raw, barebacked, unplugged energy!

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

They are in mid-season form by Episode 2, for loving sure.

God I love this show.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I just got to this great bit in episode 2:

Clarkson: "Last year that would have meant handing [the car] over to The American. But, we're not using him anymore, because he didn't like coming to England."

Hammond: "And because you all hated him."

I like what they're doing to tweak the show. I did, indeed, hate The American, though I always felt like the power lap feature was one of the less interesting parts of Top Gear as well. Challenges and the tours of exotic foreign lands are where they really shine.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Is their banter scripted?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Clarkson spends on ton of time on the scripts, yes.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

Is their banter scripted?

No poo poo.

It is, at its core, a reality show with awesome bits about awesome cars that we would love to even be able to waggle our collective dicks at, at some here-to-unknown part in our lives that we will never, ever, in our hellscape, nuclear ridden fantasies ever see. That is a minority of the show. The rest of it is them taking those cars and doing things with them that we would only dream of doing should we ever have the - it's not even gently caress-you money, it's the gently caress-all-of-you money.

That's why we love this show.

We love it not just because they get gently caress-all-of-you money to make it, we love it because they take that money, do stupid poo poo that would feed a third world village for a whole year, and poo poo it all over Cambodia or some other forgotten third world place, and do stupid poo poo with amazing cars - or they take stupid cars with amazing amounts of money put into taking them to stupid places, and then do stupid poo poo with them.

And you're wondering if their banter is scripted? I mean, I'd guess like sure, 75% of it is, but the rest of it I'd guess is editing, because they have enough money to make you declare on international television that your great aunt's pussy is the shiiiiiiiiiit. With enough editing and talking for long enough, that is.

This show is awesome. So why the gently caress is the banter what you're worried about?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I think it was just a question, my man, not an accusation.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

at the date posted:

Yeah, no kidding. It's something I've been curious about too - some of the lines are obviously pre-planned, but it's hard to tell with some parts whether it's scripted and delivered very naturally, or ad-libbed very well. It would be interesting to know how much is which.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

at the date posted:

This.

I like the show.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

at the date posted:

I was drunk and having fun with it....

Sorry, I was waaaaaay too dickish. :(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's cool we all get drunk and punch a producer now and again

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A lot of the banter is scripted, but a good bit is ad libbed as well

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Episode 2 was good.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Yeah but I missed and I hit the key grip instead. :saddowns:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

How is Top Gear UK doing these days?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Flikken posted:

How is Top Gear UK doing these days?

shh shh shh we don't talk about that here

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So the new driver has to be Sabine right? Looks like her, sounds like her, drat well drives as well as her. Sabine :swoon:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

So the new driver has to be Sabine right? Looks like her, sounds like her, drat well drives as well as her. Sabine :swoon:

It's not.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That's disappointing. Still, whoever it is has talent.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/5147999/abbie-eaton-new-grand-tour-racing-driver-mike-skinner/

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
There was news that Sabine was involved with this season in some way though, wasn't there? I'm actually kind of glad she's not the new driver, it would be a waste just to use her for power laps. She's much more entertaining acting as the nemesis/actively talking poo poo to the guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There was news that Sabine was involved with this season in some way though, wasn't there? I'm actually kind of glad she's not the new driver, it would be a waste just to use her for power laps. She's much more entertaining acting as the nemesis/actively talking poo poo to the guys.

I can do that in a Van!

• Locked thread