Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Eccles posted:

Very cool tune Coohoolin - I really enjoyed listening to your playing.

Cheers, it's the Rondo by Raffaele Calace, one of the easier (and very fun) pieces of classical mandolin repertoire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Congrats!@!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My dad gave me an old mandolin this weekend (an asian-made Harmony, which is fine enough for me to learn on a bit). I have a guitar/uke background so I took to chording it fairly quickly but I'm having an issue with my bottom E string.

The top E string sounds clear but the bottom has a nasty metallic twang when struck open that basically disappears when fretted in the 2nd fret or lower. The string isn't hitting anywhere I can tell, not rubbing in any weird spots as far as I can see.

Is this probably just "bad instrument being bad" or is there some other common stuff to try that might work it out?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
if it goes away when you fret it could be a nut problem.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So I was thinking of doing a YouTube channel about my development as a self taught mandolinist. I already teach guitar and mandolin and I seem to have a knack for explaining stuff, and I've met with conservatory people through my dad who've all said I've done very well for being self taught. I'm thinking selections of pieces I use to practice, fingering positions, practice methods and exercises, stuff like that. I'd also include tabbed out transcriptions of classical pieces for folks who'd like to play some but might not be that great at sight reading. Is this something people here might be interested in following?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Coohoolin posted:

So I was thinking of doing a YouTube channel about my development as a self taught mandolinist. I already teach guitar and mandolin and I seem to have a knack for explaining stuff, and I've met with conservatory people through my dad who've all said I've done very well for being self taught. I'm thinking selections of pieces I use to practice, fingering positions, practice methods and exercises, stuff like that. I'd also include tabbed out transcriptions of classical pieces for folks who'd like to play some but might not be that great at sight reading. Is this something people here might be interested in following?

I would love to practice picking on something other than jigs. I think if you found a perspective on it that went deeper or beyond the mandolessons guy, you would definitely find an audience. At least I would watch.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
That sounds great. I'm a mandolin beginner. Instruction on how to practice, which is what it sounds like you're proposing, would be something I'd definitely follow.

This has been (one of) my biggest problems trying to learn the guitar. I have no idea how to practice. I just spend my time playing through old exercises in an attempt to not forget them, and then try to learn the next exercise in the book. I don't think I've made any progress this way in the past two years.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Yeah stuff like that. My favourite practice methods is Bach sonatas and partitas, take them slow and try to learn them piece by piece and you'll end up becoming comfortable with a very wide array of fingering techniques and picking fluidity because of all the string skips. I figured I'd take them piece by piece and walk through the fingering section by section, pointing out the tricky bits and suggesting what to practice.

I've also been accumulating a shitton of pdf scans of old mandolin method books by people like Munier, those would be good to look at as well. I'm not good enough that I can play all these pieces fluidly but I thought the way I use them to learn and improve might be of interest to other people, especially given how difficult it seems to be to find a mandolin teacher.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I'd watch for sure. The Irish music I play is practically all melody, so I know very little for chords on the mandolin, and 99% of what I play is jigs or reels, so right hand techniques other than just simple picking would be appreciated.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
+1 for step-by-step Bach for mandolin guides; I’d be extremely interested in watching that sort of thing and trying to up my Bach game.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Ok, looks like it's a good idea. I'll try to film something over the next week.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
My mandolin doesn't get enough time, and there are a lot of banjos at my jam. I'm going to hop back in on Monroe style bluesy mandolin and work on being able to actually navigate rather than just memorize and hack.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
right i just sat down and started teaching my phone how to play the Allemande (1st movement) of Bach's 2nd Partita for Solo Violin- for some reason the phone stopped recording at around 26 minutes in so all I've got is the first passage of the piece but i'll use it as a demo, get it uploaded privately and post it here for some initial feedback before i go public.

watch this space!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Awesome!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Right, let's see if this works. Video is private, but should be shareable by clicking the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x311tnlCqCs

Tab: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_nxHVJtEc4WX9e65ATPqZhm6qkKFvdt6/view?usp=sharing

Sheet music: https://imslp.org/wiki/Violin_Partita_No.2_in_D_minor,_BWV_1004_(Bach,_Johann_Sebastian)

It's the first movement, the Allemande, so any of the options should work, depends on your visual preferences.

Things I'm aware of:

- new phone, so not entirely sure what the camera options are, but the one I used here with repeated in and out of focus nonsense isn't great

- my left hand was really loving itchy when i started for some reason, it's obnoxious

- big boomy voice echoing a bit in my living room

Mostly I want to know if you find it valuable or helpful at all as a learning method!

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 31, 2018

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Anyone given it a go yet?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I watched the video and printed out the sheet music before the long weekend, but didn't get a chance to sit down and really dig into it yet.

So I can't speak to how well it all fits together yet, but I'm excited to give it a go hopefully this week. I'm not sure how useful having you go through the song note for note will be for me, personally, but going straight through while following along your tabs is really awesome.

Also the Sheet Music link is broken but not too tough to site search for.

https://imslp.org/wiki/File:BWV1004.pdf

Thanks! This kind of stuff is right up my alley.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Yeah I wasn't sure what would be more helpful, going through note for note or not, so I tried to keep it a bit more general and only get specific with trickier passages or unnatural stretches. Let me know how you get on and what could be improved, I'm excited to launch properly!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I took the plunge and signed up for Mike Marshall's course on artistworks. I'm excited!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

I took the plunge and signed up for Mike Marshall's course on artistworks. I'm excited!

Excellent, enjoy!

I've been away from mandolin for a bit but I'm starting to realize what it is I want to do. After my last lesson with Mike I realized that my technique is reasonably fine I just need tunes. So, I'm going to rebuild my calluses, do a song a week for 2019 (starting nowish), and then start working on basic improvisation skills with Mike using bluegrass, gypsy jazz, and Dawg tunes. I'm also going to dig into some Swedish folk music and see what's there to be learned

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bilirubin posted:

Excellent, enjoy!

I've been away from mandolin for a bit but I'm starting to realize what it is I want to do. After my last lesson with Mike I realized that my technique is reasonably fine I just need tunes. So, I'm going to rebuild my calluses, do a song a week for 2019 (starting nowish), and then start working on basic improvisation skills with Mike using bluegrass, gypsy jazz, and Dawg tunes. I'm also going to dig into some Swedish folk music and see what's there to be learned

Still haven't managed to upload a placement video despite trying three times due to filesize limits. Fun.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

Still haven't managed to upload a placement video despite trying three times due to filesize limits. Fun.

yeah that. I tried to chop them into smaller chunks, which worked several years ago, but not so much now. AVI compression usually works

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So how's everyone's picking going? Learned any cool new tunes?

I'm currently in a big fight with my right hand. The fucker just won't work consistently.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Coohoolin posted:

So how's everyone's picking going? Learned any cool new tunes?

I'm currently in a big fight with my right hand. The fucker just won't work consistently.

I liked that Bach piece so much, I actually bothered to learn to read proper music onto the fretboard and have been working through a book of violin etudes for the past few months.

It actually wasn't too bad once I set my mind to do it, but I'd played treble clef in band and piano plenty growing up, so it was really just forcing myself to sit down with it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Huxley posted:

I liked that Bach piece so much, I actually bothered to learn to read proper music onto the fretboard and have been working through a book of violin etudes for the past few months.

It actually wasn't too bad once I set my mind to do it, but I'd played treble clef in band and piano plenty growing up, so it was really just forcing myself to sit down with it.

Oh cool, the piece from my youtube trial attempt thingy? That's awesome! Can I recommend the two bourees from the Bach Cello Suite III, I've been using those to teach my students how to sight read. They're easy enough, and melodic enough that you can feel a nice sense of accomplishment. Also have some fun pivot jumps and arpeggios to stretch the fingers.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll look into those! My wife, a church pianist, roped me into playing the melody to "People Get Ready" on Sunday and I learned that as long as you stay in key and on beat nobody knows the difference when you completely mangle a bridge.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hey I didn't know we had a mandolin thread! I've been playing guitar for almost 20 years, but I just picked up a Rogue A-style over the holidays because it was too tempting to pass up at $19. After a little bit of setup (tighten the pickguard so it stops rattling, raise the action, fix the intonation, jam some foam between the strings and the tailpiece cover) it plays and sounds great. I know Rogue isn't highly regarded, and if I had access to a higher quality mandolin, I'd probably notice a lot of deficiencies with this one, but I have no complaints at the moment.

I've mostly been playing chords, going up and down the G major scale and trying to wrap my head around this tuning. As a guitarist, I mostly think about it like an upside down guitar or multiple drop D's stacked on top of each other.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Lester Shy posted:

As a guitarist, I mostly think about it like an upside down guitar or multiple drop D's stacked on top of each other.

Don't do this, it will grestly limit your melodic understanding of the instrument. Just practice some closed scales, using your pinky finger on the 7th fret instead of the next open string. Look up the Aonzo Family Scales on mandolincafe or wherever they are. Try to understand fifth tuning as its own thing, it'll open up a lot more options.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Just wanted to say I'm thinking about picking up the mandolin, and this thread has been extremely informative. Almost every post has been helpful.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

So I bought a Kentucky KM-256, set up the bridge, tried my best to get the action and intonation correct, but uh... what's the wrench for? It looks like it would fit over a hexagonal bolt of some sort, but I don't see anything obvious.

Like, this wrench is clearly important because it was included with the mandolin in its own special packaging, but it's really not obvious to me what I'm suppose to be adjusting with it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Truss rod adjustment under the little plate on the peg head.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I had the wonderful opportunity of meeting Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg at their gig in Glasgow on Friday. The show was spectacular, they're a lovely pair, and they squeezed me onto their workshop the next day that was already full up. All around gents. I showed Mike the keychain my gf got me last year, with a picture of Chris Thile with frosted tips pulling a face during his Nickel Creek years and he got a good chuckle out of that.

Just the nicest people, incredibly inspiring.

Now to save up enough to buy a bouzouki and a bowlback...

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
More Bach tab! This time from Partita 3 in E Major, Gavotte En Rondeau.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-CjE50pmK9JC4HVimxd9IkbOg1Rj3Fp0/view?usp=sharing

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Been working on some klezmer

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2501585737?view=permalink&id=10155835906895738&sfnsn=mo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Very cool stuff!

Mike's a great guy for sure.

Been away from playing lately but must get back into the routine. I need more music in my life

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
One thing that has thrown me for a loop is how loud this drat thing is. I played baritone ukulele for years and only ever fingerpicked with the pads of my fingers, on rare occasion I would strum with my fingernails. As a beginner I have been very deliberate about not strumming too hard, I’m using a 1.5mm pick, and it still sounds like double the volume of my uke. I’m pretty sure I’m doing it right, though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but think of how much money you'll save on amplification! I actually ended up buying a tenor guitar for just this reason, because my brain likes playing in 5ths but I also really love fingerpicking.

I'm playing the mando in front of people for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I'm pretty excited. Nothing fancy, just some Christmas carols out of the methodist hymnal with my wife playing piano. But it's been nice working on simple ornamentation to spice up slower melodies (and an excuse to really focus on my tremolo).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Welp, with the shelter in the apartment considerations I think its time to work up my chops again--been away from the mandolin with few exceptions for the past while. I will make this month's goal to work out an arrangement of REM's Gardening at Night I think

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bilirubin posted:

Welp, with the shelter in the apartment considerations I think its time to work up my chops again--been away from the mandolin with few exceptions for the past while. I will make this month's goal to work out an arrangement of REM's Gardening at Night I think

I've switched my teaching over to skype and other video call stuff, if anyone wants to go over a couple of things with me hit me up! No charge, goon solidarity, tipping is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Coohoolin, it's been a long time since you posted it, but I'm going to try and put your Allemande tab into Musescore this week if I can get some downtime while I'm still working from the office. If I actually get it done, I'll post a PDF.

I spent the past couple of weeks working up a really pretty arrangement of Let There Be Peace on Earth for the church my wife works at, only to have them cancel services through Easter. So it goes!