Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Haunted Zevra

Avra, -- Zevra's mother-- croons gently as the priestess holds out the book. She traces a ghostly finger over each page, memorizing the sigils of the rituals. Sighing, Zevra comes over and holds it open for her, flipping pages when her mother reads to the end of a section.

"Not only have we never heard of Hi’ilei, even the dead I've spoken to have forgotten her name." She broods on this for a moment. "Although... do you have any maps? Of what the world used to look like?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Iole's mouth gapes after Sathain shares the frightful images in her mind. "I...I can't believe it. It's true? Nobody was able to hear the gods speak again? Not a one..." she trails off. "Please do not apologize. This simply reaffirms my desire to help you."

Iole is clearly still somewhat shaken but is quiet for a moment as she ponders Zevra's question. "Regrettably, I am not certain if we retained maps of the world below, since we in this temple primarily kept to ourselves. Even before my death, it had been years since I had traveled far off this mountain. The hills were rolling and green - sometimes up here we would get mist and fog rolling into the valley below. The travelers that came here would tell us that the temple and the little village below were the first signs of life they had seen in days."

She picks up a stray piece of paper flung to the ground during the battle and places it flat on her palm. She waves her hand over it and a shimmering image appears on it. "This would be how I remember the view looking down the mountain. It is...quite different."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Shaiha maneuvers herself around Sathain to peek at Iole’s image. While she is familiar with the concept of a verdant plain, an expanse of green so vast that it meets the horizon, it’s quite another to see it. Even as a pale reflection of the real thing, the image fills her heart. “It’s beautiful.” She takes a moment to appreciate the scene. Even in her gladness, however, her mind races with questions. What does Daclamitus intend with tge orb? What are they actually supposed to do to bring green back to the world? Is Iole even genuine? She hates that the last question even comes to her, that the harsh world of Athas has acclimated her to ask it of everyone she meets. She opts to hold these questions on the back of her tongue. Instead, she says, “We’re honoured to have your help, Iole. I’m sure you’ll be hearing from us - nobody seems to know much about these places of power anymore, us included. I’m sure we’re arrogant for even trying, but the need is too great to pass on.” Shaiha gives a little shrug and a smile, though she hopes the sincerity in her voice will come across. She means what she’s saying - while still not completely sure their goal is even possible, even attempting it means more to her than anything.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Haunted Zevra

Zevra gasps. It's one thing to hear second-hand rumors from the long-ago dead, and it's another to be shown a vision, in full color. She reaches out to touch the water-filled valley, and her hand passes directly through it with a ripple.

Zevra's mother, Avra, neglects her readings to wander over. She stares at the illusion for a long time. "For this, I stayed behind. I knew, deep in my bones, that my worthless daughter had a destiny ahead of her. Despite her uncountable shortcomings, she will help you bring this vision to life. I swear it, just as I once swore vengeance, on her behalf."

"Thanks, mom," Zevra deadpans.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Unlike the rest, Sathain looks all the more heartbroken to see that vision. It hits too close to home. "It's like the Land Within the Wind. But... everywhere," he murmurs. More parallels than one, there: like the Land Within the Wind, it's just an image, a mirage.

"You said you felt your... Hi'ilei... stirring. Are you sure? She's not... dead, or fled beyond the world? If you can feel her, where is she?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Iole furrows her brow. “Where she is is…quite the question. When you roused the sphere, I only briefly felt her stir. It was such an unfamiliar sensation that I could hardly be sure it was real. Just from that brief moment, I cannot determine her location. Perhaps my abilities have weakened over time.”

«5 »