Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Kayode "Baba" Babatunde

The old man endures the pirate assault with admirable stoicness, though he does fall to his knees. Standing up while gritting his teeth, he looks at both pirates aside him, and brings his arms out. As he does, a wave of force explodes from Baba, sending the pirates flying overboard with a scream. Meanwhile, on the other ship, reality shatters into a new form, a copy of the old man with a mirage-like quality to him. Free for the moment from attacks, Kayode hunkers down, ready to weather any other assault.

Move: Stand up.
Standard: Kinetic Buffer (Augment 2) vs Warrior Orange and Raider Aqua at 2x1d20+17=37, 29. Hit Raider Aqua for 2d6+10=16 force damage. CRIT Warrior Orange for 22+3d10=43 force damage. Push Raider Aqua to J23 and Warrior Orange to P23. Save vs falling overboard for both at 2x1d20=8, 7. Both fall overboard. I also get +2 to all defenses UEOMNT.
Free: Manifest Dream Form at R14.
Minor: Mind Shroud. UEOMNT I have superior cover and am slowed.
End of Turn: Save vs Immobilized at 1d20+3=6.

pre:
Kayode   						 
HP: 24/80 (THP: )        AC:   29    Passive Insight: 25
Surges: 7/7 (V: 20)      For:  23    Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +12  	 Ref:  26    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 29    Vision: Normal
Power Points:  6/8       Languages: Common, Primordial

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Avenging Shackles       [ ] Argent Rain                      [ ] Celestial Fist    
Dimensional Scramble    [ ] Aspect of Agility                [ ] Force Spheres            
Dishearten              [ ] Bound by Fate                    [ ] Mind Blast   
Kinetic Buffer          [ ] Dream Blade
Manifest Dream Form     [ ] Far Hand
Thought Projection      [ ] Mind over Flesh
                        [X] Mind Shroud
                        [X] Oath of Enmity
                        [ ] Second Wind

Item Powers
[ ] Raven Cloak (Daily)
[ ] Repulsion Armor (Daily)
[ ] Silt Sandals (Daily)

Conditionals/Resists:
Courageous Mind: +1 to saving throws while bloodied. 
Dominating Mind: When inflicting save ends daze, dominate or stun, target takes -2 to the first save.
Dreaming Advantage: When using an AP to make a psionic attack, gain CA against any enemy adjacent to dream form.
Eyes of the Deep Dwarf: Gain darkvision as long as you have one PP.
Human Ingenuity: When using an AP, regain a PP. 
Raven Cloak: Resist 5 cold and necrotic.
Resilient Focus: +2 to all saves.
Silt Sandals: Ignore difficult terrain and leave no tracks in dirt, sand, silt. Can move across non-solid surfaces.
If you end your turn on a non-solid surface, you sink. 
Staff of Expertise: Do not provoke OAs from ranged or area attacks with a staff. Melee attacks with a staff get reach 1.
Superior Will: Save vs daze and stun at the start of your turn. 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Shaiha's magic begins to swirl around all the battlefield at once. Her statue harmlessly absorbs the energy of its attacker's failed blow, then with a flash of its eyes, the energy appears around Zevra as a protective aura, making her skin and clothes shimmer faintly. A split second later, with a wave of her hand, some of the force behind the pirate's blow on Baba dissipates into the air before coalescing into a similar coating around him. She adds an arcane syllable, and Baba feels his wounds closing somewhat, the sting eased by a sudden surge of the familiar scent and taste of Shaiha's daily smoke and oil diffusions. "How's that feel, Baba?" She gives the old man a winning smile as she tosses a small golden disc at the pirates' second ship. "Nicer than my old methods, I bet." As she finishes her sentence, the disc comes to a halt midair just past the pirates' gunwale. It suddenly and violently wrenches the surrounding air around itself, coiling it up in a knot that threatens to entangle the nearby pirate. The briefly reality-warping power of the disc echoes around Shaiha, too, which she uses to translocate herself toward the centre of her team. When she reappears, she's holding a small black bag in her hand. With a squeeze, a spray of glittering purple mist erupts forth, filling her teammates with vigour as it briefly lingers upon them. Her statue is not excepted. It practically glides across the pirate ship's deck to surround the one remaining enemy there with Kalakote.

When Orange Raider misses the Obiedient Servant, Zevra gains 7 THP.
Immediate Interrupt when Baba is hit by Aqua Raider. Energy Conversion: Baba gains resist 9 against the triggering attack and gains 9 THP.

Free Action: Baba regains 29 HP.
Minor Action: Obedient Servant moves to I17.
Standard Action: Conjure Planar Gateway in Q22 UEoMNT.
As an OA, when an enemy starts its turn next to or moves next to the Planar Gateway, I make the following attack: +18 vs. Will; 3d6+11 damage and slide the target 3 squares (will attempt to fling them off the ship, from a square next to the gateway in case they manage to cling on).
I teleport to L16.
Minor Action: Slick Concoction. Obedient Servant, Kalakote, Jascha, Baba and Sathain slide 5 squares (their choice) and gain +4 to Ref UEoMNT. Obedient Servant slides to I20.

Obedient Servant: 40 / 40 HP. 30 AC; 25 Fort; 34 Ref; 28 Will

Positional Summary: Shaiha L16; Obedient Servant I20; Planar Gateway Q22

pre:
Shaiha Nilil   						 
HP: 81/81 (THP: 00)      AC:   28    Passive Insight: 20
Surges: 8/8 (V: 20)      For:  23    Passive Perception: 23
Initiative: +6  	 Ref:  28    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	         Will: 26    Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Resists: 11 acid
Saving Throws: +2

Ethereal Chill         [ ] Second Wind                   [X] Obedient Servant
Thundering Armor       [ ] Lab Conditioning              [ ] Flameheart Defender
                       [X][ ] Healing Infusion           [ ] Relentless Harrier
                       [X] Sudden Slime                  [ ] Arcane Springboard
                       [ ] Ice Shard Traps              
                       [ ] Phantasmal Henchman          
                       [X] Gale-Force Infusion          
                       [X] Planar Gateway               
                       [X] Energy Conversion
                       [X] Slick Concoction
                       [ ] Enduring Summons

MBA: +17 vs. AC; 1d8+6 damage.
Crit: +3d8 damage.
Item Powers
[ ] Rod of Absorption (Encounter): Deactivate the aura (save ends) of a creature I hit.
[ ] Rod of Absorption (Daily): Immediate Interrupt as below.
[ ] Summoner's Staff (Daily): Immediate Interrupt as below.
[ ] Salve of Power (Daily): Lose 1 healing surge to regain an encounter attack power.
[ ] Hero's Armour (Daily): When I spend an action point, forgo usual feature to let ally
within 5 use second wind as a free action.

Immediate Actions (descending priority; will not react to / target minions)
-- When summon is hit: Attacker rerolls and must use second roll (Day [Summoner's Staff])
-- When ally is hit and dealt 9+ damage: They gain resist 9 all to the triggering attack, and 9 THP
after damage (Enc [Energy Conversion])
-- When I & at least 2 allies targeted by area/close: All attacks take -5 penalty (Day [Rod of Absorption])
-- When I take damage from area/close: Halve the damage and shift 2 squares (Enc [Lab Conditioning])

Summoning:
Defensive Minions: Summons gain +2 to all defenses.
Tome Expertise: Enemies next to my conjurations/summons grant CA. An enemy immune to fear
is immune to this effect.
Summoner's Staff: When an enemy misses my summon, I or an ally within 5 of the summon gain 7 THP.
Summoner's Slip: After using a conjuration/summoning power, teleport 2 squares.

Arcane Rejuvenation
When an ally uses a magic item daily power, they gain 11 THP.

Action Point:
Summoner's Action: Give one minor action command to each summoned creature as a free action.
Hero's Armor: Gain +2 to all defenses UEoMNT.

Other Features:
Arcane Empowerment: 1/Day, spend a short rest with a magic item: Recharge its daily power, or give its
wielder a free action to gain a +2 bonus to an attack roll after rolling once before the next extended rest.
Ooze Master 10: Acid attacks make targets grant CA UEoMNT.
Ooze Master 5: Roll twice on Dungeoneering checks.
Superior Will: Save against dazing / stunning effects at start of turn.
Rapid Infusion: Use Healing Infusion as a free action on my turn.
Quick Fix: Roll Arcana to disable, identify, or sense magical phenomena, or Thievery to disable or 
identify devices, as a minor instead of a standard action. Take -4 to such checks.
Lesser Ring of Feather Fall: I take no damage from falling.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Kalakote PDF

With the battle swiftly commencing and both sides clashing, Kalakote smiles at the speed with which the pirates are undone. This emotion isn't visible through his helmet and there's still work to do, so he wreathes his blade in the low pulsing blue flame and draws it into another vicious two-handed swing, marking the adjacent Raider with mystic fury immediately before spearing them through the stomach, cleaving a massive gouge into their side.

Minor: Divine Challenge on Raider Orange. Marked and takes 14 Radiant if they make an Attack not including me.
Free: Lawbreaker's Doom on Raider Orange, adding +4 Damage/Slow to myself against them UEOE.
Minor: Divine Strength for +6 Damage and +2 F/R/W UEOMNT.
Standard: Force of Arms vs Raider Orange AC(+4 Force of Arms Bonus and +2 Prone) hits for 41 Physical Damage(+4 Lawbreaker's Doom) and Slowing them UEOMNT. Also causes them -1 AC(Save Ends.)

pre:
Kalakote PDF  						 
HP: 92/105 (THP: 0/10)         AC:	27	Passive Insight: 25
Surges: 12/12 (V: 31)	For:	27	Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +8		Ref:	22(26)	Action Points: 0/1
Speed: 7		Will:	26      Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Giant(Literate), Deep Speech(Literate)	
DR 1, Resist 5 Necrotic

At Will			Encounter	           Daily
Ardent Strike		[ ] Second Wind            [X][ ][ ][ ] Ardent Vow
Holy Strike      	[ ] Stone's Endurance      [X] Blood of the Mighty
Body Equilibrium        [X] Divine Strength        [ ] Frenzying Smite
Divine Challenge         OR Divine Mettle          [ ] Death Angel
                        [ ] Heedless Fury          [ ] Blade of Black Wind
                        [ ] Vice's Reward          [ ] Dwarven Vigor(I)
                        [X] Strength from Valor    [ ] Piercing(I)
                        [ ] Valiant Rush           [ ] Octogram(I)
                        [X] Force of Arms  
                        [X] Lawbreaker's Doom
                        [ ] Dispensed Justice
                        [ ] Red Death
                        [ ] Leaping(I)
                        [ ] Scabbard(I)

Melee: +20 Attack, 1d10+14 Damage
Challenge: 14 Damage (6 + 2 Cha + 6 Str)
Sanction: 8 Damage (6 + 2 Cha)
Withering: -1 AC per Weapon Hit. Cumulative, Save Ends current stack.
Implement: +13 Attack

Passives:
Power Athlete: Roll Twice on Athletics to Jump/Climb
Disciple of Stone: +7 THP when spending Healing Surge
Heavy Blade Expertise: +2 Defenses against OAs
Divinity's Shield: +2 F/R/W UEONT after using Channel Divinity
Immobilizing Action: Immobilizes LD Target on successful Hit with AP Action
Physical Resolve: +2 to Saves against Weakened/Slowed/Immobilized
Skull Mask: Enemies have -2 to Saves against Fear effects

Doomykins fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2018 around 00:15

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ROBBLE ROBBLE ROBBLE!

Jascha the Lost

Jascha pulls a pair of arrows from his quiver just before Shaiha's magic carries him across the ship. He launches his first arrow before he's fully found his footing, and it looks like it will go wide before miraculously correcting course and striking true. The second arrow has no trouble finding its mark.

Free: slide to N22.
Minor: declare Raider Yellow my quarry.
Standard: Two-Fanged Strike vs AC: 2#1d20+19+2+1 25 Miss! Shaiha's conjuration next to the raider makes him grant CA which means this attack becomes 27 which turns it into a hit! 30 Hit. 2#1d12+13+5 29 23 2d6 2 plus 4 since both attacks hit, for a total of 58 damage dealt to Yellow Raider.

pre:
Jascha   						 
HP: 79/79 (THP: __)      AC:   28    Passive Insight: 20
Surges: 7/7 (V: 20)      For:  23    Passive Perception: 29
Initiative: +12  	 Ref:  28    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7     	         Will: 26    Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Elven

Sensing Eye (Minor)     [ ] Elven Accuracy                   [ ] Healing Lore    
Hunter's Quarry (M.)    [ ] Invigorating Stride              [ ] Sure Shot            
Summon Armor (Minor)    [ ] Second Wind                      [ ] Flying Steel
Nimble Strike           [ ] Defensive Volley                 [ ] Attacks on the Run
Twin Strike             [ ] Disruptive Strike
                        [X] Combined Fire
                        [X] Two-Fanged Strike
                        [X] Biting Volley
                        [ ] Wind Fury Assault

Item Powers
[ ] Screaming Bow (Daily)
[ ] Rain of Hammers Ki Focus (Daily)
[ ] Silt Sandals (Daily)

Conditionals/Passives:

Reactive Stealth: If you have any cover or concealment when you roll initiative, can make a Stealth check to hide.
Superior Will: Can make a save against daze/stun at the start of your turn, even if it is not a (save ends) effect.
Hunter's Aim: You don't take the normal -2 penalty to attack rolls against your quarry if it has cover/concealment.
Grounding Shot: Ignore attack penalty for ranged attack vs prone target, and deal +2 damage to prone enemies.
Silt Sandals: Ignore difficult terrain and leave no tracks in dirt, sand, silt. Can move across non-solid surfaces.
     If you end your turn on a non-solid surface, you sink. 

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at Aug 16, 2018 around 23:54

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

The point of the harpoon scrapes off of Sathain's armor and pins his cloak to the ground. He doesn't seem bothered: his brow is knitted in focus. One of the heavy spiked balls of his flail has crept from the silt back onto the deck, and it launches itself at one of the harpoon-throwing raiders, catching him, too, in the back, and hurling him overboard in exactly the same place as his psionic friend had fallen over.

Sathain allows himself a small smile of satisfaction, and steps to one side, vanishing from where the harpoon had him pinned and appearing between Kalakote and the raider he was fighting.
"Get the other one, I've got this one. --You'd better surrender now! I'm sure I can talk the big one out of cleaving you in half for revenge!" he calls to the raiders.

---

Standard action: Lodestone Lure on - PR(Lime) - 1 PP - 1d20+20=29 for 6damage. He gets pulled to P15, overboard, failing his save: 1d20=5.
Move action: Dimension Slide, teleport to L19 and Kalakote can Slide 1, ideally away from Raider Orange (leaving him marked by Kalakote but next to me)
Minor action: stylin' on 'em (low Intimidate).

Triggered actions:
-If someone within melee range hits Sathain, he'll use Forceful Counter, augment 2, making an attack at 1d20+20 for 2d10+9, pushing them 6 (ideally overboard) and knocking them prone.
-Opportunity Attacks with Eldritch Strike at 1d20+20 for 1d10+9, knocking them prone, slowing them, and sliding them 3, ideally overboard

Statblock:
pre:
Sathain

HP: 81/103 (BV:51)          AC:	30 	Passive Insight: 17
THP: 0	                        Fort: 27 	Passive Perception: 15
Surges: 15/15 (V:25)	Ref:	26	Vision: Low-Light
Initiative: +9	                Will: 28	Action Points: 1
Power Points: 6/9          Speed: 5

Power Cards
At Will		              Encounter		            Daily
Eldritch Strike              [ ] Adept's Insight	      [ ] Living Fortress
Battlemind's Demand           [ ] Persistent Harrier	    [ ] Nightmare Vortex
Mind Spike                 [ ] Dimension Slide            [ ] Intellect Hammer
Concussive Spike             [ ] Impose Your Will             [ ] Battle Aspect
Forceful Reversal             [ ] Rebind the Will
Lodestone Lure                 [ ] Fast Talk
Thought Projection

Item
[ ] Shield of Eyes - don't grant CA when flanked UEMNT (D)
Deep-Pockets Cloak - draw or store an item from the cloak(AW, 1/round)    

Passives
Fragment of the Way: expend 1 PP at end of short rest to deal +1[W] with next weapon attack
Bracers of Mighty Striking - +4 damage to MBAs (Eldritch Strike)
Hat of Disguise: +5 to Bluff to pass myself off as someone else
Shield of Eyes: +2 AC vs OAs
Wielder's Action: spend AP to make attack, get 1 PP back
Superior Will: Save vs stun/daze at start of turn even if not save ends.
Flail Expertise: when I hit with a melee attack using a flail and the attack lets me slide the target, knock them prone instead
Dragging Flail: whenever I use a filail to knock an enemy prone, also slide them 1 square
Rushing Cleats: increase the push or slide effect of any close or weapon attack by 1
Hindering Shield: whenever I pull, push, or slide a creature with an attack while using a shield, slow that creature USMNT
Fail of Winds: +1 all forced movement

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Zevra's mother vanishes in a shriek as tendrils of ephemeral energy flow through and into Kalakote. Zevra reaches into her pocket and produces a small charm bag and tosses it into the air; silver sand falls all around her and Baba, cloaking them in a blurring veil of shadow that hides them from sight. Beyond the bounds of her invisibility charm, the desert is a shifting sea of untold thousands of ghosts; all the unregarded dead of Athas form a teeming froth of spectral energy that the silt-ships are churning through.

"Welcome to the spirit world," Zevra tells Baba as she slaps some healing mud on the old man's wound. "Now you know how I feel."

No action: Slide Zevra to M18
Standard action: Spirit Infusion on Kalakote. He can make a melee basic attack with +2 to hit and +4 to damage, and also he can shift one square. Spirit Companion disappears. All allies gain +1 to hit Raider Orange UeonT.
Free action: Summon Spirit Companion in square N19.
Minor action: Healing Spirit on Baba. Baba can spend a healing surge and make a saving throw and gains 6 temp HP. Zevra gains Healing: 3d6 9 hit points.
Move-Minor action: Twilight's Veil: Zevra, Baba, and Sathain become invisible until they attack or EonT.

TLDR: Zevra moves to M18, Spirit Companion mvoes to N19, Zevra and Baba heal, Zevra, Baba and Sathain are invisible, Kalakote gets a free MBA.

pre:
Haunted Zevra   						 
HP: 55/81 (THP: 7)      AC:   25    Passive Insight: 26
Surges: 9/9 (V: 20)      For:  24    Passive Perception: 28
Initiative: +11  	 Ref:  26    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 27    Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Elven

Spirit Infusion		[X ] [ ] Healing Spirit		[ ] Spirit of the healing Flood    
Spirit of the Tempest	[ ] Ironbreaker Claws		[ ] Ancient Progenitor’s Spirit            
Voice of Battle		[ ] Granite Armor		[ ] Ancient Warlord’s Inspiration
Call Spirit Companion	[ ] Blood-Red Mist                    
Spirit’s Wrath		[X ] Intellect Pummel
Summon Armor (Minor)	[ ] Speak With Spirits
                      	[ ] Engaging Pursuit
                        [ ] Insightful Warning
			[ ]Twilight’s Veil

Ghost Dog Companion
HP: 38/38 (THP: __)		AC:   28    Passive Perception 29 
Surges: -			For:  26    
Initiative: - 			Ref:  26    
Speed: 6  			Will: 26

Conditionals/Passives:

Resist 10 Fire
Elemental Spirit: Allies adjacent to the Spirit Companion gain +2 to saving throws
Spirit of Vigor: When Spirit is summoned as a minor action, one adjacent ally gains +4 Temp HP
Healing Spirit: When Healing spirit is used, target makes a saving throw, one ally adjacent to 
Spirit Companion heals 3d6 HP, all gain 6 temp HP
Spirit’s Step: When Spirit Companion is dismissed, one adjacent ally can shift 1 square, +1 to hit any adjacent enemies.
Spiteful Retaliation: if enemy’s attack causes spirit to disappear, enemy is dazed UENT.
Spirit Companion: Conjuration. Uses Zevra's defenses. Can’t flank. Occupies 1 square. 
Allies can move through, enemies can’t.  Can make OAs from enemy movement but nothing else.
 Can only be targeted by melee or ranged attacks. If dealt 15 damage by single attack, disappears, and Zevra takes
10 damage. Can’t be affected by conditions or forced movement, ignores difficult and hazardous terrain.
Dog Companion Aura: Allies adjacent to dog companion can teleport within aura as move action, 
enemies give Zevra combat advantage
Totem Expertise: ignore partial Concealment/Cover

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at Aug 18, 2018 around 04:48

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Kalakote PDF

"My thanks, Honored Elder." Kalakote accepts the prompt and the energy and from his resting stance after his last thrust and cleave, he reverses the cleave motion and adds a matching, diagonally parallel wound to the Raider's chest, switching the hands he holds his sword in with a mirrored resting pose.

MBA hits Raider Orange for 20 Physical Damage. Shift 1 Square away from Raider Orange to I17(to the West.)

Doomykins fucked around with this message at Aug 19, 2018 around 01:31

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Zalcor grumbles, “you folks are lucky that I’m a man of my word. This journey had better not be for naught.” The crew urges the vessel onwards, repairing the damage wrought by the pirates on the move. In front of the party is a thick, almost blinding dust storm. The crew dons extra layers of masks over their faces and urges the party to do the same. Wind whips sand through the air, stinging whatever surfaces it strikes. The crew attempts to shout directions and orders over the sound of blasting sand and wind, but their shouts are barely audible. Zalcor skulks to the wheel, fighting through the wind and taking it over from the crew member driving. As he makes his way, he casts a glare at the party - though it’s difficult to see through the storm.

The island of Shault is shockingly lush and green. It is dense with trees that rise high into the sky. One side looks to be a sheared cliffside. The tree line is more lush and dense than even the most vivid mirage. Part of the treeline appears to break in the distance - possibly a village? The sight of it on the horizon is a welcome respite after the party’s ordeal with the pirates and the sand storm. Zalcor and his crew locate a large tree root near the coast to which to moor their vessel. Zalcor sighs heavily, leaning on the sides of the skiff. He takes stock of his crew, and while they appear shaken, they are no worse for wear. Once he obtains his bearings and truly grasps where he has landed, he is silent - simply taking in the scenery. “Of all the sailing I’ve done, I’ve never seen anything like it,” he pronounces simply. After a few beats of quiet admiration, he reorients himself and addresses the party. “I’m sure you must have some matters to attend to here that were worth almost getting ourselves killed. Go on. My crew and I have our work cut out for us after the beating we took in that storm.”

With that, Zalcor tends to the ship as the crew regains their bearings.

Feel free to explore Shault for now!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

On the ship

As the last of the pirates falls, Shaiha's animated statuette goes rigid and snaps back to its usual size. With a word, it's back in her hand. She looks around at the aftermath of the fight - particularly Baba, ensconced in a maelstrom of protective magic but still looking pretty roughed up. "Is everyone alright?"
Wahad08/20/2018
Baba waves his hand. "I'll be fine, doctor, thanks to your aid. I've had worse." When the old man stands up, the magic swirling around him slowly fades away. The harpoon is swiftly dealt with, and the group comes together sooner rather than later. "Let us hope further pirates are warded off, discouraged by the wrecks of their ships we'll leave behind."

“Right. Sathain? Zevra? Kalakote? Zalcor, how about you and your crew?” Shaiha’s hand hovers near the pocket where she keeps her blood vials, eager to refill the empty one if nobody needs help in the meantime.

"A little bruised." Sathain's telekinetic aura drops away as if it has never been; the silt and dust it had been incidentally suspending spills to the deck of the ship. He puts his shield back in the straps that support it on his back and rolls up a sleeve, and after the adrenaline of the fight, he looks pale and weary. "I can donate a little more blood, if it's important we come away from this with a ltitle less than we started with."

Shaiha gives Sathain a critical eye. “A doctor looks after the health of all their patients, Sathain. They do not sacrifice one for the sake of the rest. You’re hurt. There are others who can give, including me.”

"You've seen me really hurt, doctor, guts out on your table like a tasty beetle. I've got blood to spare, I promise you. I heal fast and I'll still be plodding along after the rest of you need to stop. I am what my people's elders call el-Alar, a wellspring."
He smiles, and there's some actual warmth in it, a noticeable difference from the superficial charm he uses to manipulate bystanders.(edited)
"Maybe make sure the big one hasn't sprained anything with all that charging and disemboweling."

“If you insist.” Shaiha smiles back. “But just so you know, I’m keeping an eye on you. We’re literally surrounded by reasons not to take too much from a wellspring.”

Sathain's mouth works soundlessly for a moment, and then he shrugs. "Your wit is faster than mine, doctor. Let it run through the dunes with the elven tribes and spare me its point. I will not pretend I am not running dry if it should happen, I swear it."

---
The party takes a full rest!

---

On Shault

As the treeline of the island bursts into view from swirling silt clouds, Sathain smiles. Unlike virtually every other smile that's crossed his face so far, this one lacks deliberateness or artifice. It just blossoms, wild and natural, like the island in front of them. Then it disappears--but only for a moment, unable to be suppressed by whatever passing thought tried to dampen his spirits.

"That was drat file sailing, Zalcor."
He reaches into the inner pockets of his cloak, retrieving a round, parchment-wrapped fruit--and then another, and another, and another. They emerge like coins from a street magician's hand, until he's deposited a small pile of them on top of a crate, for the crew to share. "Small payment for your trouble, but they'll make the work go easier."

He breathes in the air on the island, clear and fresh as a result of so many trees, and stretches, rising up on tiptoe and spreading his arms out. He relaxes with a heavy sigh of pleasure.
"Well. It's a pleasure to be here, which probably means that whatever lurks here is even more deadly than usual. Trees can hide as many dangers as sands, so stay sharp. There, first?"
He points at the break in the treeline.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at Aug 30, 2018 around 22:07

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Kayode "Baba" Babatunde

The old man kneels on the ground, spending a long moment in silence, running his hand across the ground. When he rises, his voice breaks for his first few words before settling. "Is this...what the world can be? Is this what we fight for?" He sighs, and a smile, too, breaks across his bearded face. "I am heartened by this sight, friends. I hope you feel the same." Sathain's suggestion leads him to nod. "It is as good a place as any. Lead on!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Kalakote PDF

On The Boat

One final twist removes any chance his last target might be enduring their wounds. The blue light dims within the helmet and fades away to the murky shadows over distant eyes, now sliding back and forth across the fallen raider. Any others left on the skiff are seized and piled onto the ruined corpses of the captain and the bruiser and Kalakote searches through their belongings, not hesitating for a moment as he takes intact clothing and weaponry and casts the naked fallen over the side to the sands. In case of any protests he simply shifts his head the minimum amount necessary to face them respectfully and observes: "Any ugliness was brought by them. Fighting is survival... and this too is survival." He figures that there is no need to force the possible chagrin of those he barely knows and refrains from the harvesting of hair, flesh or bone. Hopefully they would not need extra resources to barter with the feral or brutal.

(Checking for any notable belongings, investigating any remaining big rear end harpoons like they used on us and taking mundane possessions like intact clothing, packs, carried food/water, etc.)[/n]

After stowing anything worth trading into a pack, Kalakote lumbers over to Shaiha to consider her request. He does so in silence, not moving or donning mask when the heavy sands are called. Eventually he offers a raised forearm and undoes the first strap of the bracer. "Blessed Doctor, you hide a wicked side. Do not take too much." [i](I'll chip in one Healing Surge for any esoteric Leader needs.)

---

Shault

"Hrmmm." Without waiting he heads for the opening in the trees, occasionally tilting his head to peer skywards and watch the trees. A village would be welcome, to get to the bartering and restock a few provisions. To shed and tend to the maintenance of his armor. To eat heartily.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"I feel the same, Baba." Shaiha walks slowly, taking in the sights. Baba is right - this is a little taste of what the group is fighting for. It's almost like her dreams. Almost. She tries to block the raging sandstorm from her mind and focus on the lush greenery in front of her. She takes the time to appreciate the pleasant rustling of the trees as a gentle breeze blows through them. The first cluster of trees she comes to, she lingers briefly in the cool shade. And the grass brushing her sandaled feet as she walks, well, it's a strange feeling. It tickles distractingly. She thinks she could come to like it, though, in time. Ultimately, she follows the others toward the opening, but takes her sweet time along the way.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ROBBLE ROBBLE ROBBLE!

Jascha the Lost

The elf can't help but crack a slight, pained smile at the sight of all of the greenery. Wonderful, yet his time around it will undoubtedly be short. He takes a moment to try to soak in as much as he can before silently falling in behind his allies.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

The flora of Shault is...quite different than the mainland. Some of the trees and shrubs sport wicked looking thorns. Some even appear to move independently, occasionally reaching their tendrils out to the party. Even the plants with dangerous features are brightly colored, some with eye-catching patterns.

Every so often, there is an odd rustling that seems to follow the party. Possibly it’s one of the plants moving around? It was hard to tell. The party reaches a clearing, but before they can set foot inside to explore further they are suddenly set upon by tall being - with many more popping out around and behind the party.

The voice, a female’s booms from behind a mask. “You have gone far enough! Who are you? How dare you set foot on this island? Explain yourselves!” She points a blade at the party, and her allies draw in closer.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Kayode "Baba" Babatunde

"Hail!" Baba splays his hands with palms open, showing he means no harm, even with the blade pointing at him. "Be at ease, guardian of this place. We mean you no harm. We have come to this magnificent place to meet one who is called Mereades," with a slow movement, the old man produces the paper given to them by Daclamitus, holding it up for the hostile one to see, "Our instructions were to show them this. Know you where we can find them?"

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Sathain

Sathain hooks two fingers through the oval of his shield. Currently inactive, there's no field of psionic force preventing them from passing through it, but his companions have seen how quickly he can flip it over to the front of his body and telekinetically attach it to his arm. His other hand comes up, empty: no weapon, but he's ready to defend.

Perhaps not knowing whom he was going to encounter, he hasn't changed his face: he's "himself", hair as pale as sun-bleached dead wood and skin only a few shades lighter.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

"I agree with what the old man says," Zevra replies, stepping forward. She folds her hands in front of her. "And, on a personal note, let me just be the first to say: I love the mask. It is fierce." She's being completely serious. As one witch to another apparent witch, game recognizes game. "What kind of bone is that? Is it a skull?" It's very hard to find animal skulls the right size and shape to make a good prop; they either pinch the head or are crushingly heavy on the neck. She herself prefers reptile skulls; they have surprisingly light bones. "The carvings are wonderful. Did you do them yourself?"

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Shaiha figures her companions have gotten the point across. She decides to simply wait for their ambushers' response - particularly to Zevra's line of questioning.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

The figure pauses for a moment. They inch forward and swipe the paper out of Baba's hand, inspects it, then examines each member of the party. The figure does not seem to be considering Zevra's line of questioning. After another eternity of a pause, the figure speaks - her voice muffled somewhat by her mask. She stands fully, revealing herself to be far taller than on first sight - about Kalakote's size.

"You are speaking to Mearedes. I am the guardian of this island." She hands the slip of paper back to Baba, then makes a gesture to her companions. "I met this man, Daclamitus, so very long ago. He had told me that one day there would be travelers here bearing this mark. It was so long ago that I didn't think anybody would come. He's...a very peculiar man. I still don't know how he found this island. Even more puzzling is how he got off, since I didn't see a ship or a crew anywhere." She is lost in thought for a moment, but returns to the present moment.

"That aside...I believe I know your destination. Follow me."

Along the way, Mearedes reveals herself to be shockingly more friendly than her first impression. As the party progresses, she swats away a curious tendril and vine or two. She shares with the party tales of exploring the island - the time she saw a tree move by itself and the story of how she acquired her mask. Mearedes reveals herself to be quite pleased at Zevra's compliments.

"I see you are one who also appreciates a mask!" She knocks on the mask and explains "it's actually wood, carved from a fallen tree. I've affixed branches over time." She chats more with Zevra about the finer points of mask construction until the group reaches a break in the tree line, at the crest of a hill. She points ahead and simply pronounces "There. That is the destination Daclamitus told me of. I cannot be of any help to you here. This place...it feels wrong. Tainted. My spirit feels sick to even be near it. Something terrible happened here many many years ago. What you seek, whatever it may be, is down there."

As the party crests the hill, it becomes more clear as to what Mearedes was pointing. It appears to be the remains of a once mid-sized city. From above, there are some remnants of stone buildings. Some have collapsed due to age and weathering from the elements. In some areas, only foundations remain. The plant life of Shault seems to have begun reclaiming the buildings left behind. Many are covered with vines and other plant life. On occasion, unusual looking animals covered in fur make their way through to graze. In the center of the ruins is a large, ornate looking building. The building is made of stone that does not appear to be native to the island - a white and black marble - with statues lining a (once) grand staircase leading to the entrance. It is difficult to make out what the statues are, precisely, although from this distance they appear to be some kind of unfamiliar animals. Scattered throughout the city are small lakes, with buildings rising out of them.

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at Sep 16, 2018 around 05:32

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

Kayode "Baba" Babatunde

Baba gazes out over the ruins below, reaching out with his senses to see if he can find something similar to what the guardian says she feels; but his is magic of the mind, not of the land, and it simply fizzles out into the air. "Have you a name for this place, Mereades?" he asks softly, "I have never seen its like." At a failure of his senses, he calls back to his education; even as a youth, he was fond of reading. Had he seen animals or read tales of the dead city of Shault?

Nature to identify animals or anything about this city. 1d20+10=28. If it should be History, it's 34 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Mearedes shakes her head sadly. "I have not given this place a name. I...have never thought of one suitable."

Baba's memory tells him that Shault is an island, possibly lost to the sea of silt. Many of his books questions its very existence since there are few consistent tales of its location or its inhabitants. Most likely, Mearedes has driven off many of these possible explorers. A few books tell wild tales of strange flora and animals that exist nowhere else in Athas, although it is possible they are tall tales told by silt sailors taken as fact. Baba's books have told him nothing of what the crumbling settlement before them may have once been.

«7 »