Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Imperils can make a big difference. I switched Rinoa's BSB2 with its enice for Laguna's USB, which does an ice imperil, and paired with the Wendigo magicite's ice imperil, bumped up the damage from Edea's USB to where I can clear the fight in under 50 seconds and Edea rarely uses all of the hones on her R5 witch 4* and R3 witch 5* abilities, whereas before she always ran out before Fenrir was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I got 1/11 with Serah's en-ice BSB1! Sweet, ice stuff is hard to come by. Then I checked the multipliers against Rinoa's BSB2 (my other ice BSB) and uh. Uh. Yeah. I should've just not pulled. I guess it'll be useful for Cid's missions. It's not SIGNIFICANTLY worse, but since I also have two ice USBs, it just doesn't have a spot in an ice team for me.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Pulled twice:
3/11, dupe Eiko BSB, Steiner BSB2, Vivi LMR. OK, I got at least one Vivi relic, but I'm really jonesing for something to use his SB charge on, so...
1/11, Steiner's SSB.
:negative:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Yes! I knew a sub 30 was possible! Garnet's faithga SSB plus being able to dive her for Allegro con Moto gave me the speed I needed. DPS is Vivi with LM2 and LMR, and Terra with enfire SSB and OSB. With his LMR, Vivi was hitting for 8k without a damage up RM, so he got Thunder God mode instead.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I pulled Edge's SSB a long time ago (Party Last Stand/Blink/Hastega). I dunno if it's just because Ninjas get better over time and the LD is strong but I'm starting to realize he is probably strong enough to use with only this SB? Motes are starting to get easier to find too. Only issue is how many dark orbs I would need

Edge's SSB is definitely good enough to stand on its own. I dived him and don't regret it. I use him for the Fire and Wind magicites, and he provides a big buffer for incoming damage, and his LM2 helps him dish out some hurt while he's at it.

Something I'm confused about - I'm trying to clear Shadow Dragon using a team base on a video someone posted earlier in the thread of a sub 30 clear. The idea is a crit+/shout combo (using Eiko's BSB) and then having TG Cid and a second DPS go to town.

The key to avoiding Shadow Fang in this is Orlandeau doing 90k on his first OSB, but my TG Cid is only doing about 60k with critical. Also, in the video Saints Cross hits for 9k but I'm only hitting for 7k. I have two pieces of +holy equipment on TG Cid. Any idea why there's such a difference? Should I use a different RM or something? Do I need to grind up better holy/attack+ magicite? My holy magicite haven't been leveled much at all.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Fun fact: The Barbariccia fight still has the weird "bring a bunch of dragoons and jump a lot" condition. I was struggling with it and kept dying on the last sliver of health. I swapped in Freya to help add some extra jump attacks to keep Barbariccia out of her tornado form, and then when she was down to about 20%, suddenly she goes "I remember! I'm a Guardian of whatever!" and poof, the fight was over.
So that was a nice surprise.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Farmable_crystals.jpg

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

If you have an instant cast source of either, it might be enough to give you one or two more moves, but those have to already be queued to make it before the next Flash in my experience.

Pretty sure the trick here was to have Cloud and Tifa spam their OSBs at the end of the fight. Eiko has her USB but I think I got hit by one Diamond Flash before the second OSB triggered and he died? She may have allowed me to tank two in a row, I don't remember.

What does your party look like?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

At least it's not a dupe. I already have Iris and Larsa's BSBs for Astra, but I guess having it stapled to Hastega and HP stock is a fairly useful tool in the right circumstances.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

1/11. Vivi usb. My other fire magic things are Terra osb and Krile bsb. Not sure that's enough for a magic fire team? My phys fire is better.

Like The Awesome Ghost said, Vivi is your fire team. Legend dive him, figure out a reliable way to put him in Trance, hone Meltdown and watch everything burn. Throw some other black magic on him and he'll hit everything except holy and dark weaknesses, and even without the enFire boost he'll still do a hell of a lot of damage.

I only have Vivi legend dived and a Terra OSB and I can reliably sub 30 Sealion. I would kill to have his USB too!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

here's my dark confession: I've played like two hours of FFT

Blame yourself or God!

I use a lot of characters I have no attachment to, or even ones I hate (like Shelke!) when their abilities are needed, it usually means I field someone like Shelke or Yshtola so they can support someone I give a drat about, like Ramza or Kuja or whoever. For instance, my ice team is Edea and Laguna, with Shelke, Sarah from FF1 and Onion Knight supporting. Who are those characters?! They're the people who make it possible for my two favorite ff8 characters to nuke everything.

I mean, if you don't want to use him, it's your game, but not knowing who someone is hasn't stopped me from using someone with a useful tool, avid sometimes I end up liking them anyways.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I had four of the BSBs on this banner and got Yuffie's LMR on a dollar pull. Do I dare pull with five dupes? I would love some of the stuff on this banner but I should really save it for something with less dupes.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Well, I lost my patience and pulled on this banner despite the dupes.
1/11 Yuffie's LMR, a dupe.
Never pull, croaked the raven, never pull!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Kuja: Spams Dark Zone and his OSB when available
Kefka: Uses wall, then spams OSB, uses Morbid Countdown when waiting for gauge
Garnet: Uses Enveloping Warmth SSB (Magic and Res+, HP stock 3000) and then Allegro Con Moto, then Mage's Song twice, then Allegro Con Moto, then more Mage's Hymn or SSB if I need the HP stock.
Eiko: USB for the haste, Shellga, Heal
Shelke: Entrusts to Kefka to fuel OSB spam.

I got a whiteknuckled 29 second clear with this team with Garnet using Allegro Con Moto and Ultima Weapon, and then I swapped out Ultima Weapon for Mage's Hymn, and shaved my clear down to an easy 25 seconds. With the 29 second clear, Mist Dragon would go into mist form right at the very end and I'd have to be very careful to fire off my OSBs at just the right moment. With Mage's Hymn, Kuja and Kefka's damage ramps up significantly (Kuja's Dark Zone went from 6k*4 to 8k*4, both OSBs increased by about 15000 points a hit), and Garnet only has time to cast it 2 or 3 times.

Holy crap Bard skills are really good now.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 6, 2018

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Shoenin posted:

So how do the hyms work? They stack 10% a turn each right?

But they dont stack with just faithgas right since they're both + Mag

They stack with everything, they have their own unique buff ids. Otherwise they'd decrease my damage because they'd override the buff from memento mori.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Three dupes, 50 mythril. I've been saving for this pull but I'm steeling myself for a dupe 1/11.

Uh. Yes, please and thank you!

This makes up for the terrible results I got on my fest banner pulls! Arc's LMR isn't amazing, but I already have his BSB so, hey, why not.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Two more sub 30 magicites!

Used the same strategy as my Mist Dragon clear, two sources of OSB, one gets fed gauge by Shelke while the other spams an ability with an enelement. OK spammed the Ninja water skills.

The only difference between this and my over -30 team was OK using Chain Thundaga. He's a good little black mage.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Wow. OK's pUSB plus Eiko alternates healing and bard boosts is freaking strong as hell. I have Beatrix using Mako Might so she could fire off an imperil holy right away, and it gave me enough of an edge to avoid Black Fang altogether.

So now I've cleared all of the magicite, and sub-30'd 5 out of 8. I still need some more daka for Earth, wind magic, and ice. My ice team is Laguna and Edea with their USBs, so if I want to use one of OK'S USBs I need to ditch one or the other. I don't think having one loose their buff will be balanced by the other speeding up a little.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

bilperkins2 posted:

If I drop Ignus, then I have no second proshellga - which do I bring? Protect or Shell? Also, I don't really use the Bartz OSB mostly, just doing the USB and Quake Strike.

I don't have shelk dived but I could dive her - I have the motes. In this setup is Glad the second DPS?

My Relm only has BSB, in fact I have NO Healer USB's. Is she still better? She's also not dived, although I do have her LMR.

If it helps, this is my team. I can't sub-30 yet, but it is a reliable clear:

Round 1:
Ingus uses Protect
OK uses his pUSB
Tifa uses the RW wall
Eiko uses the bard shout
Shelke entrusts to Ingus

Round 2:
Ingus uses his BSB
OK uses Shellga
Tifa uses Gaia Crush (this was more important when I was using OK BSB as it stacked, now the boost is redundant) or, if Shelke has been able to wrath by this time with her LD, uses her BSB
Eiko heals or bards as needed
Shelke either wraths, or if she's already wrathed by the time everyone else gets a second turn, she entrusts to Tifa

Then Ingus uses his cmd 1 and then spams Earthbringer
OK uses Affliction Break to stem the imperil lightning from Hydra
Tifa uses her BSB commands or Gaia Rush, uses OSB when available
Eiko alternates healing and bard'ing, uses her USB when available and needed
Shelke feeds SB charge to Tifa

So your DPS isn't that different. If anything, you have much better DPS options than I do! It sounds like you don't have healing options higher than Relm BSB, which is still 100% capable of handling a magicite battle. I like using Eiko because her USB is great, and the bard-buffs are really helpful for ramping up damage, but for a sub-minute clear they're definitely not necessary. The lynch-pin to this and all of my other magicite clears is Shelke's LD, she lets your DPS units spam SBs while having damage+ RMs, so each cast does significantly more damage. Shelke isn't the ONLY option for an entrust-bot, she's just a remarkably fast one, but OK or Ramza or whoever would work just fine. For me, having an entrust bot was the difference between struggling with magicites and reliably clearing them.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 17, 2018

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I mean, once you get past the three instant turns, she's exactly the same as any other entrust bot...but she gets three instant turns to start off, so she's objectively the fastest possible entrust bot.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I dived Yshtola and I don't use her in any of my magicite teams because Eiko with USB, R3 curada and a bar sing is more useful. The double casting on healing is nice, especially if you don't have a high honed curada, but having Vivi trance and doublecast will kill the boss faster, which means you can get by with less healing.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

That's a hell of a dollar pull.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

My first 4* magicite down! I forgot to replace my instant KO accessories with fire resistance, but my team for Liquid Flame pulled through. Tidus's CSB and BSB2 are a pretty awesome combo. I tried it again with fire resistance and cut a couple of seconds and got mastery.

I tried a few of the other ones, but they're going to take some finagling and extra hones, assuming I don't score any snazzier SBs in the near future. Has anyone beaten 4* magicites with OSB spam?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Should I dive Tidus with his chain and bsb2?

My only other water is dived Bartz USB and not dived Yuffie USB1 + BSB2. Crap relics otherwise.

Edit: I'm not going to chase his USB if it comes back. Wondering if his dive is still worth it with just the chain and sapphire shot.

Absolutely. Tidus's BSB2 meshes well with his chain, since it's instant and gives him an instant cast on his next action, so if you have extra SB gauge but you're not ready to reset the chain, you can snap out some quick damage, and if you're low on hones, you can fall back on his burst commands to keep him adding to the chain.
Tidus's dive gives him doublecast on water, which means a good chance of two sapphire shots for the price of one, and that damage is both boosted by the chain and further boosts the chain. It all synergizes really well, and above else who uses water will also do even more damage.

With Tidus CSB and Bartz's USB, you shouldn't have any problem crushing water weak bosses as long as you have Sapphire Shot and Engulfing Quadstrike honed up.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

4/11, Tifa LMR, Eiko reraise SSB, Steiner fire imperil SSB and this joke
At least I use Tifa for my lightning magicite, so auto enearth is welcome. Plus the armor boosts earth! Neat!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Mirthless posted:

ashe LD is a doublecast, that's all you need to use a character these days :shrug:

her USB is the real money (lightning chaser :allears:) but the BSB is good enough. entry does a lot of damage and if you don't have a ton of hones on chain thundaga free lightning quadcasts is a nice bonus

Ashe's cmd1 also heals her, so it's a real nice option for endurance matches.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Nothing on the dollar pull either. A 1/11 dupe would've been better! Dammit!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

The only difference between Cid's OSB and the USB tier is that his does one overflow hit instead of multiple normal hits and has a long charge time to balance Thunder God mode. It's definitely better over some of the low end USBS. If they had made it a USB I think all that they would add is an attack buff and a normal charge time. Thunder God mode is real drat good.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

That ability buff was handy!
that just leaves Fenrir and Golem to get down below 30 seconds. I still have all of the 4* magicite besides Marilith to beat, but those can wait for some additional power creep.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Feels good, man.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

My last 50 mythril, well spent! It's always nice to see that shiny disco ball.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

TG Cid's USB is living up to the hype. I knocked several seconds off of the Holy and Dark magicites with it (Crimson Cross is a lot of fun to blitz the boss with, though I wouldn't want it if I had Cid's LMR as well, because the HP-stock status doesn't trigger until he's done doublecasting, and that seems VERY dangerous), and he moved my sub-30 Hydra clear from by-the-skin-of-my-teeth to having a decent amount of breathing room.
In the Mist Dragon fight I had him use his OSB, a Saints Cross or two, and then his USB (with Shelke entrusting). Double casting 100% critical Assault Sabres at Thunder God speed? :getin:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

1/11 Vanille LMR. Never pull.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Yes!!!! Give me that disco ball!!!

:negative: the 6* is a dupe, the LMR is a dupe. They'll make great stat sticks, at least, and the Garnet BSB2 will be really useful for lighting battles, but all i really want is SOMETHING for Vivi to use his SB gauge on, dammit!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I got Faris' USB2 and some other junk on the parade banners. Nothing game changing.

33 pull:

That's a lot of stuff I won't use outside of CMs. I already have Laguna's USB for imperil ice, and I have TG Cid's USB or a LD Kuja for dark damage. Arc can blink magic AND physical attacks now, so that's neat.

I used my measly 50 mythril to pull on the first banner; no 6*, sadly, but...

Two 5*s I can really use! I have Ramza's LMR and OK'S USBS, so this perfectly complements what I have. Happy to see Ramza claw his way back into my main lineup.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Got 3/11 on banner 3: Tifa BSB2, Ingus BSB2 and Gladio LMR. I already have their first BSBs for Tifa and Ingus, so that's a nice layer of versatility, and while I don't have anything for Gladio, +earth armor is hard to come by.

I finally managed to beat Ixion with some help from those BSB2s, so that's all the 4* magicite down! Elemental Radiant Shield is better than I thought it would be. Ixion spends half the fight punching himself to death. The clear is still pretty rocky, I need to smooth it out if I want to farm.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Having TGC USB, Luneth ASB, and Buttz USB spamming holy and wind attacks got me through Ozma (+++) which so far has been the toughest and most exciting fight I've had. I feel it will be a long time before I'm able to start taking on the Nightmare dungeons at this rate.

With those relics you'll tear through most of the Nightmare dungeons like tissue paper. You might have trouble with the ones where you need magic but anything involving physical damage isn't going to be alive long enough to do anything.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I said WHY NOT and pulled on the ice banner and got Serah's USB and Laguna's LMR. I already have Laguna's USB and he's fully legend dived, so that's pretty legit.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

Lately I've given up on strategising my mythril because I have a rock solid spread of relics and vying for a few top prizes leads to a lot of frustration when I don't get it, like every time I've pulled for something for Vivi and get yet another Steiner relic.

So I got 50 mythril and pulled on the banner that had the most stuff I could use on it.

That's a drat satisfying pull for a spur of the moment decision!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I thought they said they fixed that in one of the updates, that follow up abilities would hit the same target as the original ability, but even if I manually target something the follow up abilities always auto-target something else instead. It's dumb and it makes Kraken accidentally extra difficult because it keeps wasting doublecasts and follow-ups on the tentacles.

Speaking of targeting, the MP Proud Clad fight's gimmick of doing four hits in a row got old real fast. That would've been a nice place to allow Draw to actually do something. Draw itself isn't a terribly unbalanced ability, it's the fact that retaliate means you counter AND dodge the attack that means they have to remove it completely to avoid neutering high-end bosses. I love drawtaliate but I wish it worked like in classic FF games and you took AND did damage so they could balance around it more often. And then High Retaliate or something could allow you to avoid the attack and counter.

• Locked thread