Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Just soloed jecht 220 mp.

Good God what a fight.

Basically just keeping water imperil on him the whole time, off healing as needed, and whittling him down with Rydia and gogo. Very tight the last half of the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

So, uh, did the fft 220 raid solo and he was only doing this counter attack that did 666 damage to my front row and basically nothing else.

I have good FFT synergy but even without it this would have been a laugher.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Yeah, I'd gotten the impression that this was supposed to be a tricky fight as well. But it's so easy to blunt the counterattacks that anyone can just load up on slow resist and heal through the rest. :shrug: Plus the omni-resist is apparently only -20% (for a net 80%), so elemental shitkickers like Cid Raines are still great for damage.

Presumably the next event's MP fights aren't so easily short-circuited?

I just ran rikku usb, yshy wall, Ramza support, and then shadow and noctis dps. Noctis immediately fires cloud USB while shadow waits for two chrages of physblink before cloud USB then shadow embodied.

I loaded up on slow resist but I don't even think mateus cast slowga. He just got whittles down quick by noctis.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'm broke on 4* vit and Dex motes and haven't seen any in ages.

Full up on 5* motes, just with nobody worth diving I can dive...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

This is the first lucky I might not pull on. I'd rather take another stab at FFTA-1. I think I'd only be pulling on a few relics in a giant pool:

Raines BSB
Cloud USB
Zack CSB
Nothing else?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah this draw has a shitload of misses, and usually I don't mind misses because hey 25 myth pull. FFTA staring at me, mocking me, makes this LD go from "eh sure" to a probably no.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Bruceski posted:

990384 with Sephiroth, Tidus, Vivi, Bartz and Ramza. No real synergy, just en-casters throwing out their big stuff.

I think I need to see if he can be slowed for more attack time.

Edit: it doesn't.

E2 1185929 swapping Bartz for Marche.

this sounds like an awesome way to check team lineup composition. A nice baseline foe to test "how much DPS can I poo poo out with X lineup?"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

These elite dungeons are getting ridiculous. They're close to A+ level difficulty and a lot of them don't even give you a chance to put up mitigation before they bust out their huge damage moves. You're basically hosed if you don't go in with full HP or get bad ATB RNG. And god help you if you have anything less than your A team.

The difficulty rating listed is actually getting accurate with the realm dungeons. I've definitely stopped assuming they could be mowed over with whatever team I could be hosed to bring.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Why would you not use your A team on these? :confused:

It's like up to dungeon updates from earlier this year you could autobattle your way through anything with anything and then just murder the boss with whoever you selected with just optimized equipment and abilities. MAYBE some mitigation would be required, but not much.

The recent DU elite bosses definitely require thoughtful mitigation (proshellga, wall is good, breakdowns) and hitting weaknesses. They're not A+ level hard imo, but they're definitely harder than most event U/U+ bosses.

I used to just throw in people from that realm for funsies, but for the recent bosses I'd bring cross-realm A-teams depending on the fight.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Pretty much anybody with doublecast holy and access to Divine Cross + Guardbringer can poo poo out absurd damage, especially given how much +holy gear (especially good swords) are floating around.

I dove Beatrix with just her BSB and she's basically identical, and while I regret that now, that's only because I pulled Marche's BSB and USB literally 2 days later and he would have been just a straight-up upgrade. Dived Beatrix still let me mop the floor with Shadow Dragon after struggling against him for a while, and while the effect of Marche's USB is really, really good, pretty much anyone with doublecast LMs are worthy dive candidates even without relics, at least with the direction the meta has been moving in recently (and still is in JP, as far as I know).

edit: That said, it's probably still one of those situations where you have to ask yourself, will diving that character specifically bring you closer to your current goals? Is your holy coverage relatively weak, or are you stonewalled against Shadow Dragon or something? If you haven't had any issues with your holy DPS yet, you might want to hold off, just because you never know what you're going to pull next, and motes are still very rare. It basically comes down to doing it because it shores up a major weakness in your elemental coverage, or because you want to start working toward magicite speed clears.

(or just because you like the character and feel like it, of course)

Marche's LMR isn't double-strike. It's "deal significantly more damage with knight abilities if swords are equipped."

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

NZT posted:

FFVI Banner stuff

I have dupes for Terra OSB, Celes LMR, Sabin and Relm SSBs...which sucks because everything else on this banner makes me drool.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

First lucky I'm not gonna pull on. Just wayyyyyyy too high a dupe rate for how meh the returns are on the non dupes.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

gently caress that guy. Took too much rngeezus to avoid a poorly-timed double tap on a single person or a premature 200k 3s timer near the end. It was such a slow fight to start too, the way I was running it.

On the plus side, I got to see Cid poo poo out 60k instant USBs over and over again. Normally I'd just use Celes and snowspell strike, but no cloud USB RW really demanded some new thinking (and aerial dive hones).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Ybrik posted:

I woke up from a nightmare I had a bad pull

I'm still waiting to wake up again

I swear I'm the only one here who really likes Lulu with her USB and bsb.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Shadow USB is the only dupe.

I'm pretty pleased with it, although I'm not sold I'd ever use curilla or marach. I have two other Ingus relics (protectga/hastega shield and ssb sword) but not sure they matter. A chain is neat but he seems like he'd be a leaden weight in all other respects.

My only other good earth stuff is rude BSB, tifa USB, and maybe Celes double-casting quake strike. How can I leverage that into a good Hydra team? My current team is a 55s team with Celes, noctis, and damage reflect doing most of the damage; it's very slow.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Washout posted:

Do do want to pull any of the 3 rare relic draws or anything like that on the other banners or just work on saving up 50 for an 11 pull?

Uhhh not quite sure what you're saying here champ, but throw 25 mythril at the 6 star lucky banner that's available for today only and then save up for an 11-pull on whatever banner catches your fancy.

Avoid the newcomers banners for VII, X, and XIII. They are garbage, even at half cost.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Stirdog posted:

These mote dungeons seem like a serious stamina sink if you are looking to get multiple dives done. Seems like the dream of getting all/ most of the dives dones is still a long ways out.

I was just pleased to see how fast tonberry went down. First attempt was a 12s clear

10 motes for a minute of effort is fine.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Re: valigarmanda

I built the same team as the guy earlier who went relm/rikku usb, Terra/papy/Lulu and a Vivi BSB (I used bsb2 for boosting faithgas). Except for forgetting to re-up mind breakdown (which made second freezing dust last like 4-8s) it was an absolute laugher. I honed valigarmanda and meltdown to R3 expecting a grind and he never got anyone to half damage. Ice resist stuff made blizzard hit like a feather.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Alxprit posted:

Garuda's kind of hard to take down if you don't kill those feathers good. For my team it was honestly kind of a better idea for me to just focus-fire Garuda herself and rely on a Last Stand USB RW to survive big nukes. That's just the 200 though so we'll see how that strategy fares in the other two.

I kinda did this. I have good XIV mage synergy and crappy melee, so I went all mage dps with rikku USB/dancing and yshy healing.

I gave papalymo meltdown and ruinga, gave alph meteor and maduin, and Terra got valigarmanda and wrath. One shot of enfired valigarmanda would blow up the feathers, and the other two would take out Garuda. I used mog USB as my RW for fast actions, along with papy ssb for a pretty good set of faithgas.

I was never in any danger the whole way through. I did Terra BSB about round 4 out of boredom to help with trash in the 250.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

Yeah I hate that they're still putting on really outdated BSBs on some of these banners. Like not every relic has to be a homerun, but I think we're at a point where it'd be really nice if the duds of the banners were still decently usable relics contemporaneous to the current state of the game (everything should have something like en-element, imperil, party buff, skill buff, etc.) Golbez BSB was good at some point, but it's pretty lovely now. Not sure Pecil's BSB was ever that good. It's not even like having that baseline would make the dud/11 great, it just wouldn't feel completely awful.

I remember people saying the same thing about generic 5*s.

And then unique 5*s.

And then SSBs.

And now BSBs.

In a year or so people will be moaning that USBs are still on banners.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

I bolded outdated for a reason. BSBs are fine. Hell, some SSBs are completely fine. Noctis, Ramza's Chant, there are a few other standouts. Golbez BSB, though, is poo poo.

Fusoya's and Barb's BSB are good. Edge's is acceptable for en-element. Palom's is ok for certain multi-elemental battle niches. Golbez's BSB is pretty lovely even today, let alone 6 months from now.

I wasn't deadly serious, it's just fun to see power creep keep on creeping.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I think I have every 5 star on this banner except for yuffie lm and edge BSB.

I am gonna have to pass. Odds are just too bad :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Sometimes in the mood to solve a puzzle and have the time to do so. Other times I just want the orbs, motes, whatever. That's when cloud USB enters the arena.

Oh and when I want to solo the d220 MPs.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Earth took me 12s on first try thanks to Ingus chain.
The last one took me 11s.

Fire took me 20s. Need to switch things up I guess.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pander posted:

Earth took me 12s on first try thanks to Ingus chain.
The last one took me 11s.

Fire took me 20s. Need to switch things up I guess.

Belay that, got him down to 11s. Relm USB is starting to really grow on me.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yes they're a permanent feature now.

For the mote fight, I've found the best strat is one healer, one atk buff, and everyone else lays havok.

For this one:
Relm uses USB
Rikku uses USB
Zell uses BSB
Celes uses indom blade
Refia uses USB

Then I just spam one ability for all of the attackers and heal with relm after using RW wall. She has haste to make sure her USB fires first.

Rikku: Ruby spark
Zell: fires within
Celes: blazing quadstrike
Refia: blazing rush

My folks are all 99, Celes/rikku/relm are dived. Last time took less than 11s, just spamming abilities.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Inge posted:

If you have it, Locke BSB1 might be great in the chardanook fight (fire / holy)

Yeah I used it to good effect. The entry is a nice fire imperil, and you can spam the cmd2 without worry of triggering a party wipe.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I didn't gear at all for status effects vs kefka, just some mind to make sure stop wouldn't last long. Had Hope do almost all the dps with his bsb1 and then entrusted OSB blasts. Went pretty easy.

For mind boosting aphmau BSB has been amazing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Only three dupes but they're good dupes and I already like my lightning and ice options already. Way pass.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Oh my god those were separate pulls

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Always never pull.

He got a chain, one of the best dps BSBs in the game, and either several synergy options for FF7 or one great synergy reforged weapon.

That's a firm "always pull" right there.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I went into this wanting marche USB to go along with his BSB and LMR, and anything else would be a bonus.

No dupes, except the obvious. I have nothing for Seymour, but even given that this makes him a viable dark mage, and it's my best non-lulu mage weapon for FFX.

drat fine pull.

E: also 100 gemmed a dupe shadow BSB. That's fine I guess. Bigger stat stick I guess.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

synthetik posted:

How quick does gil come? As a newbie, can i screw myself by spending gil on upgrading and combining equipment?
Usually gil isn't an object for most players until you start converting hundreds of greater orbs into majors, start honing high level abilities, or you start reforging a lot of stuff.

You really can't screw yourself permanently, you'd just have to run the gil daily some times to rebuild a stash.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

BSB lucky: Gordon bsb
6* lucky: Curilla USB, Marach USB, Ingus CSB
P3 100 gem: Zack lmr
P5 100 gem: Shadow BSB (dupe)
P5 pull: marche USB, Raines BSB x2, Seymour LMR

Total: 100 myth and $5 to get the item I wanted second most this fest (marche USB) and a lot of interesting options. I already have gotten good work out of zack's LMR tag-teaming with his BSB, and Ingus chain seems like it'll be a hero vs any earth weak MP boss.

Unfortunately, marach USB is super redundant for me given my array of lightning options, Curilla USB seems neat but it's all I've got for her and it's my worst realm, and Gordon bsb seems like a real bad result for 25 myth.

Overall, I just didn't have enough myth to make a run at stuff this fest (blew it all on FFTA-1) so I'm very happy with what I did get for what I spent. Still have 50 myth left for a shot at OK USBs.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Does element boosting equipment stack?

yes.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

fridge corn posted:

That Valigarmanda rebirth fight was really fun once you know the gimmick. Ace and Aphmau were two characters I've never used before

Exdeath USB
Ace BSB
Rikku USB
Aphmau BSB
Tyro SG

RW: Mog USB

Could've made shorter work of it too if I had put chain firaga on Ace since Exdeath's runic kept meltdown topped up. Aphmau ended up contributing a decent amount of damage with his BSB too.

I like Aphmau more as I use him. If he can hang on as a main-healer with his BSB, you can pull some crazy good mage DPS lineups.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pro: dollar draw five star

Con:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

Thats why I mostly dont do dollar draws anymore. Very unlikely that when I do get something it will even be of use.

You dollar draw lightning USB once, you don't stop.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I am pretty good at building 40s magicite clears but terrible at sub 30s.

For instance, I have a fully dived marche with USB, BSB, and lmr, and I still can't figure out a sub 40s dark dragon clear.

For reference, I also have Raines BSB and dived, agrias OSB/BSB/ssb, and shelke dived.

My current team uses reks (BSB, shellga, sacrifice), agrias (saint crosses and SBs), shelke entrustbotting, marche killing poo poo, and relm healing (USB sometimes for insta turns).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Ybrik posted:

Dived cid Raines is the way. Put him on instead of reks and let shelke die after entrusting a bar to Cid. Give Marche the other bar and have agrias use the non wall rw. Have relm cast shellga and have cid cast memento mori on shelke after shell lands and you're good.

Huh. Hadn't considered foregoing wall. In that setup isn't it slow to get marche another bar to get his USB going? Or does Raines make up for it?

I should enholy agrias before OSBing right?

• Locked thread