Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
New thread OP is looking good. Has the stuff new players want and us veterans too with the mote charts and whatnot.

I, too, was a victim of the old thread which said to just pull on any banner since anything is an upgrade for a beginner.

So I pulled on Keeper's Choice 1 and got 0/11. It was the only banner up without guaranteed 1/11.

Never pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

fridge corn posted:

When are we getting that new story mode?

JP doesn't have it yet either and they are six months ahead of us.

There's nothing indicating it would come out anytime soon either so maybe nine months would be a decent estimate.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Two pulls at the VI over at JP.

B1, 2/11 Celes USB, Locke LMR
B2, 2/11 Locke CSB, Leo LMR

Never pull only applies to GL.

Celes USB is pretty much what Steiner wanted to have instead of his.. thing. That banner 2 is pretty stacked with ye olde goodies including Terra USB and Relm USB. Relm's is in my opinion the strongest healer SB in game but I'm an instant cast noncharge spreader fanboy.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Steiner's USB is better than people give it credit for. Like the rest of the IX crew he gets a trance mode in his LD that gives some stat boosts and a chunky elemental damage boost for the duration. The reason that this is important is because if you have Steiner use his USB then nuke him with whatever appropriate element to get his health low, he will immediately pop his trance and a full heal putting him in the best possible spot to toss out crazy quadstrikes. It's still awkward but it's got hella good potential if you invest in Rusty.

The USB only works with three elements.

Steiner is a bad LD candidate since he has no excellent relics and his dive is mediocre at best. I'd rather have a no SB Butts or Squall or any of the other actual spellbladers with dualcast LM2.

Even the trance is one of the worst trances.

But if Steiner is your boy he won't be a dead weight or anything.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I did a full RD on Shelke but chickened out on her LD for now so I have the world's only 4* dived Shelke.

I'll pull the trigger when I have 100 extra bravery motes to guarantee OK LD later. Need 35 more.

Or maybe I'll chicken out again.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

What kind of a madman calls Steiner USB a dead pull? Being beaten by Butts at spellblade-fu isn't a shame (though going through the effort of trancing him and still being worse than Butts pressing Ability 1 over and over is kind of a shame).

I firmly believe that is a mediocre dive. You want an LM2 that says either doublecast or quickcast for a damage dealer. At least it's not +1% atk per elemental ability cast or something.

One thing he does have over primary spellblades is the ability to deal holy damage and better earth abilities through Knight 6 which is not nothing especially for beginners with a shallow relic pool.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

1/11 barret ssb1. Never pull.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Looks like Shadow Dragon serves me, fiend.

Poor Edge had to cut through so much fat with his USB because they resist water. Porom and Golbez have BSBs, the other two have nothing.

Maybe I should plan an IV realm pull to get a fourth character with a relic.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Hogama posted:

you can select the music for the party set-up screen.

I want it all and I want it now.

Pretty fed up with Hey Cid at this point.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Elarra Raider is the hastega for sub 30 runs unless you have some busted relic that deals so outrageous amounts of damage fast that you can use wall.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Just noticed a funny thing that has been gradually building up. I have

6x 99
2x 80

dudes for FFVII despite my synergy being garbage supers. Why? I don't like the non XP dailies so when they're down my VII crew hits the VII beginner XP dungeon.

I don't even have 4x99 for any other realm, some stronger ones like VI and T have 3x99.

E: that mimic kill is ace, good job

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Rikku is in the same boat with her USB. Wide range of available skills but can't use them well enough to be an actual dps so she gets to dance in mind gear.

Her dive is a disaster too giving her a bit of everything to ensure she's good at nothing.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah her USB is incredible but her selection is making her dead weight for most magicites. In any other battle sure she's the support, but in Magicites "Support" means entrust which she can't do

Yep. I have her in two fights. Ice, because Terra is scary and blows up everything so it doesn't matter if she does nothing, and.. shadow.

:j: : Hyper Mighty G! Let's go team!
:j: : I can't wait to contribute to this victory!
:fuckoff:

And then the remaining four heroes kill Shadow Dragon.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Previous review: IX banner 1 relic review

Next week's event is XIII so let's take a look at banner 1. Welcome to winter wonderland.

Same disclaimer applies.

Noel USB

Instant ST Ice/NE, imperil ice, enemy atk/mag/res -50.

The debuff is crippling for content you can use breaks for though it would be nice if it was def instead of res since you're probably running him in a phys team. Imperil ice is a nice addition on a SB that does something else too and Noel can use ice twinshot to utilize his own imperil.

So this is something that's great for a breaking support to cast. Which Noel is not. He can't use support at all and only has thief 5 through RD which disqualifies him from using Mug Bloodlust. Noel is a damage dealer who got a support USB by accident.

The instant entry makes up for a lot but this isn't "an Ultra level damage relic" that a damage dealer wants. It's still good.

Serah USB

ST Ice/NE, En-ice, self hi-quickcast 1 and ex-farseer (mag+30 gain hi-quickcast 1 after using ice).

The effect sounds oddly familiar and the reason is that it's the exact same text as Lightning USB except it's ice and mag.

You improve your damage with enice and as long as you're using ice abilities (and why would you stop) you have permanent hi-quickcast which means triple cast speed. That's not only abilities, feel free to cast ice soul breaks to keep the quick cast chain going enabling her as a viable entrust target.

Lightning's USB is top tier lit SB and thus this is a top tier ice SB.

Unfortunately they forgot to copy the +elemental damage to the relic itself.

Snow USB

ST Ice/NE, party Ice Radiant Shield, self Revenge Counter (2xST 1 potency attacks when taking BLK/PHY damage).

Ice Radiant shield means it reflects 75% of damage taken back as ice damage. Normal RS is 100% reflection but since the damage is ice you can boost it with imperils on the enemy or enice or other elemental boosts on yourself.

Oh boy. Let's get the silver lining out first. If you have the Ice Chain (Snow/Rinoa) the good news is that ice radiant shield interacts extremely favorably with it. Every reflection adds to the chain.

However outside of ice vulnerable fights you'd rather just have a proper RS rather than this element specific one. Additionally if you get Snow's Ice Chain are you really going to use this with it?

Another issue is the Revenge Counter which is supposed to be the EX mode here. Tauntaliate or Grand Cross don't silver bullet blank fights anymore because bosses do NAT damage instead which doesn't trigger the counter. Looking at the 3* and 4* wind magicite fights the amount of counterable things is pitiful. Magicites aren't the only fights in the game but getting the full potential from this is too difficult.

I like Ice Radiant Shield but Revenge Counter drags this down too much. Decent but keep in mind the potential with Rinoa CSB.

Serah BSB2

Random Ice/NE, Imperil Ice.

CMD1 quickcast 4x ST Ice/NE
CMD2 quickcast 2x AoE Ice/NE

Lightning BSB2 as ice and magic form. Ability update really took value out of Lightning's BSB2 and this coming in fresh right now is kind of a weird move.

If you're extremely poor orb wise this is the best thing you could have since the imperil entry makes your ice attacks generate more gauge from hitting a weakness and the quicker casting commands mean you get more attacks in. You can easily chain this BSB without ever casting any abilities after the first cast.

If you have the ability Chain Blizzaga with reasonable amount of hones this becomes "decent".

Noel BSB1

5xST, Full Break.
CMD1 1x ST Power Breakdown
CMD2 1x ST Magic Breakdown

So he has a support BSB too. This is absolute garbage with the entry being Full Break and the commands 4* abilities. The relic you don't want to pull in this banner.

Snow BSB2

Party atk/mag +30 and haste.
CMD1 4x ST Ice, 5x if enemy vulnerable to ice
CMD2 2x AoE, self def +50

That entry sounds oddly familiar too what with it being OK's Vessel of Fate. While you probably don't want to run VoF as your A-team buff three months from now it's still a great effect and will serve your B/C/D-teams well in Crystal Tower. That being said it's still absolutely viable if you have no other buffing hastegas.

Comparing 5hit CMD1 to the ice monk ability icicle rush is pretty much a tie so this is a nice way to save hones without losing effectiveness as long as you're facing an ice weak foe. CMD2 gives an AoE option.

Good.

Vanille BSB

Instant party curaga self +30 MND.
CMD1 damage enemy for no damage and res-30
CMD2 medica

An ancient BSB medica. Instant entry is great, +30 MND buffs your healing and CMD2 is a medica like every other CMD2 in healer BSBs. This is still acceptable even if it doesn't have a CMD1.

Great. This gains bonus points for being Vanille's best relic and that means it's the best XIII healing relic.

Noel LMR

+ice wrist. +20 damage with swords.

Support soul breaks and a damage LMR. Decent, he can't utilize it too well despite the good effect..

Serah LMR

+ice light armor. 25% chance to doublecast ice.

Excellent especially in tandem with her USB. For some reason is an ice bikini or something

Snow LMR

ATK+3% from each hit taken up to +35%. A weak effect that takes too long to even resemble something useful. Garbage.

Noel SSB

Instant 6xST, self Instant Cast 2

Tales from discord say this could be used to stunlock bosses for easy wins and then every boss became immune to stun. So thanks for ruining that for the rest of us Noel.

Acceptable CM tool for dealing damage. Sharpshooter access and abilities being more powerful means this effectively got buffed.

Serah SSB

Party mag/mnd +30 and haste.

Sage shout. Good CM tool and an acceptable SB if you need that fourth hastega for Crystal Tower. Decent.

Not a fan. For ice damage I'd wait for an ice themed banner featuring other big hitters, especially Rinoa. It's a shame they didn't patch it up with more +ice on the relics themselves.

0 dupes, pass.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Attestant posted:

'aight, since NZT is explicitly skipping reviewing the second event banners, I figured I'd provide some commentary on those. Seems like we have a bunch of newbies around right now, who could use opinions on this stuff.

Good stuff.

I've always liked how Kuja just didn't want the short end of the OSB stick and decided he will have the additional multiplier against every fight. Flare IX.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I like CT.

I don't like Barbariccia's tornado form lottery.

Up to 1250 5* motes now

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Looking at what I left on the bench for CT it seems I should try and add additional depth to SBs that provide a buffing hastega since there's only Ley Lines left to use (and to be fair it probably should've been used instead of Tyro USB2 but it didn't fit well with the teams I made).

LD Ysh and like five other top healers still left unused so that's probably fine. Additional top tier DPS USBs would be nice but that's easier said than done.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Yeah. The reason I couldn't use Ley Lines in CT was that the lone mage team was three dark mages who Memento Mori'd for the same buff ID.

That's a really good USB.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Lightning doesn't really need the LMR for the dive to be worth it. The USB is extremely worth a dive on its own.

She's easily my best damage even without LMR. She with Orlando (who got entrusted by no-LD Shelke to OSB) took down Diamond Weapon as a duo.

DW didn't get to cast any of his big attacks because Lightning was elbow deep up his butthole with Razor Carbine the entire fight. Have you seen the shape of that blade. It's unpleasant.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Interesting chase but need to wait for multipliers to see if it's better in practice than Kuja's Ultima IX exit etc

Though if it's "only" as good as Ultima IX that still means it's ungodly powerful

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Unlike Ultima IX (Black Magic) and Teraflare (Summons), WoL's booster skills (Knight) get influenced by crit-fixing, and surprise, Ignis brought around the first reliable non-RW Crit=100% source.

You might not be allowed to RW Cloud USB to anything that matters, but it's likely a lot easier to hit quad-9s constantly with this.

That's a good point but those two have dual cast LM2s unlike WoL who gets the literal shortest straw with his LM1 and 2.

I would assume WoL to outdo Teraflare but Kuja double casting Dark Zone to that Ultima IX?

I don't know. But I'm interested in finding out.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I got 1 700 000 something from the str trial first try. Weird that they didn't put gil or something as threshold rewards. Was fun but I doubt I'll give it a second shot.

I used Gigalightning, Edgelord, Vaanpocalypse, God-King Raines and Good Boy Ramza.

The primary way to improve would be to replace Ramza with a fifth dps since they were hitting the damage cap pretty hard.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Another 200 CM down. Sephiroth's endark SSB is pretty good.

Yuffie and Gun Arm Man took an 8k Comet to the face through shell but the rest got the job done.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Tonight's XIII-1 banner (or tomorrow's for us Europeans)

But should you save for next week's XII-1 instead?

Ashe USB

ST Lit/NE, en-Lit, self mag/res +30% and chase after using Black Magic.
Chase is 2-6xST Lit/NE depending on ability rank.

Take a look at this:

Chain Thundaga - multiplier 11,8
R5 Chase - multiplier 8,52 (with two more hits)

So just by looking at the multipliers we're getting a "three fourths of a double cast" worth of damage as a bonus. Of course the chase being more hits means it can exceed Chain Thundaga's damage in which case you're getting better value than a double cast without any drawbacks.

Well, There is a drawback which is of course that you need to hone the ability to R5 for the maximum effect but here's the important part. There is no drawback in combat. In combat where you want that sub 30 there is absolutely no strings attached once you've paid the price honing the ability. No running out of hones with Ability Double. No wasted turns or ability slots triggering a trance etc.

Remember that like with ability double you can't cheat with bursts. It counts as rank 1 and you get the weakest chase. So get honing.

Absolute Top-tier lit relic on an excellent character. Great damage elsewhere since it chases after using black magic and not lightning so ie you cast Chain Waterga vs Water weak and the chase is NE damage on top. Additionally that ten hit is a nice increase to your lightning chain. Or 14 if you doublecast the Chain Thundaga since Ashe LM2 is 35% doublecast Lightning.

Balthier USB

ST Fire/NE, En-Fire, self quickcast 1 and gain quickcast 1 when using machinist.

There must be a mistake here. This is clearly a Balthier relic yet it's not garbage. Primarily a fire thing but trades off a bit of power to gain quickcast (2x cast speed) after using machinist abilities instead of just fire abilities.

Machinists can hit fire, ice and lit and NE so this is essentially a tri-element SB with fire being the primary one due enfire. It might surprise people but machinist abilities are actually good (except the offerings of course holy poo poo are those bad) but the users themselves have been lacking. Watch out world, we have a valid machinist.

Excellent fire and good lit/ice/ne. I can forgive the weaker quickcast in favor of tri-element but I can't forgive the lack of atk or machinist boost.

Vaan USB

Instant ST NE, enemy atk/res -40% self atk/res +40%, ex-mode Sky Pirate
Sky Pirate: +30% thief damage, instant cast thief

So since this joker has rated Agrias' and Noel's break USBs "good" this is a short one, right? No. there's a huge difference to those two.

So the break part is weaker but in return you buff your primary stat +40% with a stacking buff and give your primary damage school +30% damage boost. Then your primary damage school abilities are instant cast.

Vaan is a cruel man who defangs the opposition with this and Mug Bloodlust (giving enemy atk/def -30% and himself atk/def +30%) and then starts doing heavy instant cast damage. If the value isn't clear Vaan ripping your enemy's armor out makes your other physical damage hit harder too and the reduced damage taken helps your healing. And speaking of helping with healing if you're using Thief's Revenge Vaan heals himself to full every turn. At instant cast speed. While dealing heavy damage. At instant cast speed.

While the SB is NE Vaan is effectively also a wind user since Dash and Slash is such a strong ability. Poison too if that was ever a thing.

This could be the greatest thing in existance if only the magicite bosses hadn't put up a sign that says "you must wear a shirt to enter these fights".

Excellent Wind/Poison/NE damage and a top-tier relic for content you can actually use breaks for. Vaan with USB can solo 220 bosses if you're interested in joke runs.

Penelo BSB2

Party Curaga and Last Stand

CMD1 Curaja, Hi-Regen
CMD2 Medica

Good for you Penelo, you're not doing damage with this BSB. Standard heal entry with an excellent added bonus with Guts. CMD 1 is great, CMD2 is great.

Excellent.

Balthier BSB2

ST Fire/NE, imperil fire

CMD1 2x ST Fire/NE, 25% chance to imperil fire with half of the multiplier of 1* abilities
CMD2 4x ST Fire/NE with multiplier scaling up with using CMD1

What the christ is this thing. I did mention the offering Machinist abilities are garbage so CMD1 is the same except way weaker than the offerings if you're interested in that. While the CMD2 multiplier scales to a decent number it's so not worth doing absolutely nothing for three turns using CMD 1.

At least the entry is decent and then it's +20% stats like all burst modes.

Acceptable. Avoid the commands like plague.

Larsa BSB

Party Curaga and Astra.

CMD1 Instant Curaja
CMD2 Medica

Standard healer BSB entry with an excellent added bonus in Astra. Great commands.

Excellent.

Reks BSB

Party ATK/DEF +30% and haste

CMD1 4xST Lit/Ice with bigger multiplier if weak
CMD2 4xST NE and heal weakest ally for 25% max HP

Great entry. CMD 1 is 3 multiplier if weak which is actually nice since Reks has a magnificent ability pool and can carry something valuable like a Protectga instead of a spellblade. CMD2 is weak but the effect can be valuable at times. Great physical team buffer especially for Crystal Tower teams.

In a vacuum this is a great SB but since Reks is such a strong character in FFRK he pushes this to "Excellent".

Ashe LMR

+lit wrist. Start the battle with En-Lit.

So you have Ashe's USB and R5 Chain Thundaga. What's the plan until USB?
-Cast Chain Thundaga/Tritoch? Then this is excellent.
-Entrust Ashe turn 1 and be all THUNDER AND LIGHTNING VERY VERY FRIGHTENING? Then this is +80% damage to your first USB and nothing else. Leave unequipped in favor of LM1.

Penelo LMR

25% chance to doublecast white.

Great like all other doublecast white LMRs. Penelo will probably eventually become this realm's holy mage so if that ever becomes an actual thing that might be a boon down the road.

Balthier LMR

25% chance to doublecast machinist.

Excellent like all other doublecast your primary damage school LMRs.

Reks SSB

ST damage, party 40% max HP medica

Acceptable CM tool but not good for much else. Pretty trash pull though better than Balthier BSB2 at least.

Balthier SSB

+Fire light armor. AoE fire/NE, enfire

Better than his BSB2. Decent to use fire machinist things with afterwards.

This is a fairly strong banner with good high end and a surprisingly strong BSB selection.

This banner will coexist with the fest so wait for the fest banners to be datamined before committing.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

having better CM loadouts is good though

Is it? Event CMs are doable without any relics for a veteran with leveled characters and honed abilities and while anything helps vs 3 CM 300 I'm not sure a garbage BSB will make or break the fight. Also it would need to hit on a realm you're struggling with.

200 CMs have so bad rewards they aren't worth considering unless you want to do them for fun. I like doing them for fun myself.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I thought Curada was one of the hardest but ymmv depending on what you've got.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

The new EXP dungeons are pretty great. Can't wait to see how much they're boosted on Sunday. I have a lot of characters that need to master a lot of SBs and get up to usable levels.

I'm pretty sure tuesday is also EXP boosted so it should be the same as today. Not sure though, the in game description is vague like always.

Personally no majors or crystals after 400 stamina. At least the greater rate seems better so even if you miss the major drops the converted greaters somewhat make up for it. I never did the non-XP daily dungeons previously because it didn't seem like you actually gained anything. I like to see bars move. These seem worth clicking through which is a huge improvement.

Also the one single DeNA GL employee apparently couldn't fix the XIII JS

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Biggest improvement, believe it or not, is that all the dailies are two stages now instead of three.

That means you can just lean back on Shadow BSB (or even Wall/Shout/Hyper Mighty G) to carry you through everything.

Personally I'm way too lazy to press any buttons for easy garbage like dailies. I just autobattle with 4-5 dudes, all with XP rm. Same seems to work with these which is good.

Which is to say I only leveled phys fighters and egged casters.

E: of course it's a major thing for new players!

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Hell yeah fest banners.

Some stinkers as is to be expected but at least there are no supers.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I can rule out banner 5.

Want:
HChain
DChain

Kind of want:
Seymour LMR (only with chain)

Don't really care for:
Seymour BSB2
Garland OSB
WoL BSB
Marche BSB
Shadow BSB
Orlando BSB
WoL LMR

Dupe:
Raines
Golbez (loving reforged)

Marche USB and Ramza BSB2 are cool and good but I have a shot at them with the Godly Excalibur banner

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Well, let's see what we've got. Banner 1.

The usual applies: high hones expected, speedclears highly valued, BSB hone extension not appreciated etc. New players will love every BSB in here and everything works against weak targets but that makes a review pointless and impossible which is why we must evaluate them like this.

Locke Zwill Crossblade [LCSSB, +10 ATK] - 11xST Fire physical dmg, DEF/RES -50%, activate Fire Chain

Chains are the best relics in the game because of how greatly they enhance your team's ability to deal damage of the particular element and this is the second best fire chain because of high difficulty break resistance.

Top tier fire relic.

Krille Red Scorpion [LCSSB, +10 MAG] - 11 single-target Fire magic attacks, activates Fire Limit Chain, Quick Cast 2 to party

Chains are the best relics in the game and this is the best fire chain. Party quick cast 2 is an insanely good addition.

Top tier fire relic.

Refia Metal Knuckles [USSB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Fire/NE physical attacks, Quick Cast 1, En-Fire, High Critical & "Flaming Love (fire quick cycle)" to user

There's potential for a beatdown here but on its own high critical (critical hits deal more damage) does pretty much nothing at all. So you're looking to pair this up with her BSB or another form of a crit fixer from a party member. Even without a crit fixer this does remarkable fire damage at double cast speed but personally I'm not a fan of needing another SB to "fix" a USB (or rather enchance since this doesn't really need fixing). Once you get the crit fix going she's hammering the damage cap which looks cool but is actually a major waste of damage.

Excellent fire relic.

Locke Gladius [OSSB, +10 ATK] - 1xST Overflow Fire/Holy physical dmg, short cast time
+holy (...)

This is a ranged OSB with 10 potency and cast time 1,5. It's bit weak compared to others to compensate for the shorter cast time but SB cast times are a major issue with speed clears so I think it's a fair tradeoff. There's nothing wrong with ability spam to OSB to ability spam. Should hit for the damage cap with enfire despite the multiplier if you're into that thing.

Good fire/holy thing.

Papalymo Lilith Rod [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 8 single-target Fire/NE magic attacks, En-Fire, Burst Mode
+fire
-CMD1 fire/ne 3/4/5/6 single attacks (2,00 each) at 720/1123/1193 MAG
-CMD2 fire/ne Two group attacks (3,09 each), grants Magic Bargain (mag+30 def-30) to the user for 20 seconds

When mage BSBs got dealt out some characters truly got the shortest straw. Papalymo is not one of those people. Give him enough mag and CMD1 exceeds Chain Firaga's multiplier with two extra hits. If something needs to be really burnt down you can get his LM2 for doublecast fire. CMD2 enhances his mag while dealing damage and it's really important that you do damage while powering up. Not doing damage for a non-first turn while in the middle of a challenging speedfight is bad news.

The biggest strike against this is that Vivi and Terra are also fire mages but I don't think it's fair to hold it against him. Minmaxers sweating over 5* mote use might disagree.

Top tier fire relic.

Yda Kaiser Knuckles [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Fire/NE physical attacks, Full Breakdown, Burst Mode
+fire
-CMD1Fire, NE Four single attacks (0,58 each), grants Greased Lightning 1/2/3/3 to the user if the user has Greased Lightning 0/1/2/3
-CMD2 Grants Stoneskin: 30%

A weird thing. Greased Lightning gives you atk and a cast speed bonus with the rank 3 being +50 atk and 4x cast speed. The downside is that all your GL stacks are removed upon taking damage which is why the CMD2 has a self stoneskin command. The entry isn't impressive and unless you can actually stack GL CMD1 is very weak. Enemies spam so much heavy AoE these days having this SB deal relevant damage seems like a pipe dream. You really don't want to take turns off casting stoneskin on yourself either.

If you somehow get GL3 no one's forcing you to use CMD1. Give them a taste of Fires Within for 3,4 multiplier at quad cast speed.

Impossible to rate. It either works extremely well or not at all and I'm going to say most of the time it doesn't work at all.

Refia Shura Gloves [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Fire/NE physical attacks, Critical = 50% to user, En-Fire, Burst Mode
+fire
-CMD1 Fire, NE Four single ranged attacks (0,49 each), critical hits deal 100% more damage (instead of 50%)
-CMD2 Fire, NE Two group ranged attacks (0,65 each), grants Dark Bargain (atk+30 def-30) to the user for 20 seconds

Here's the crit fixer for her USB. Entry is pretty good for a BSB and a free dark bargain is good. CMD1 is weak, use Fires Within instead.

Good.

Krille Asura's Rod [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 6 AOE Fire/NE magic attacks, En-Fire, Burst Mode
-CMD1 Fire, NE Four single attacks (2,17 each), causes Stun (9%)
-CMD2 Fire, NE Two group attacks (3,04 each), causes Slow (16%)

Enfire, lose the ability to defend. Krile has SUM6 so she doesn't need an AoE option. Commands are garbage.

Acceptable.

Vivi Gravity Rod [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 6 AOE Fire/Lightning/Ice magic attacks, MAG & RES +30% to party, Burst Mode
-CMD1 Fire, Lightning, Ice Four single attacks (2,18 each)
-CMD2 Fire, NE Two group attacks (3,90 each), grants Magic Bargain (mag+30 def-30) to the user for 20 seconds

This is the kind of entry you want to see from a BSB, damage and an effect. The buff is great and CMD2 giving you more mag is great and it gets you and AoE option for those fights since BLK can't do weakness hitting respectable AoE damage. CMD1 can have niche use in some rotating weakness fights since you only have two ability slots. CMD1 multiplier is of course quite a bit weaker than Chain Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga.

Good.

Braska High Summoner's Longstaff [BSSB, +10 MAG] 8xST random Fire/Lightning/Non-ele summon magic dmg, EnFire, Burst Mode
+fire
-CMD1 (no Summon Ifrit) Grants Lingering Spirit (mag+30 res-30) to the user for 20 seconds, grants Summon Ifrit to the user
-CMD1 (Summon Ifrit) Fire, NE Four group attacks (4,25 each), minimum damage 1100, removes Summon Ifrit to the user
-CMD2 (no Summon Ifrit) Fire, NE Four single attacks (1,99 each), minimum damage 1100
-CMD2 (Summon Ifrit) Fire, NE Five single attacks (1,99 each), minimum damage 1100

Enfire. CMD2 even with Summon Ifrit fails to reach Chain Firaga's multiplier though it does have an extra hit. Braska can summon6 so the CMD1 AoE isn't very valuable either.

Decent.

Scott Wild Rose [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Fire/NE physical attacks, En-Fire, Burst Mode
-CMD1 Fire, NE Three single attacks (0,56 each), grants Spellblade +15% Boost 3 to the user
-CMD2 Fire, NE Two group attacks (0,65 each), grants Dark Bargain to the user for 20 seconds

Enfire and commands that augment your ability using. This is what a BSB is supposed to look like these days.

Good.

Ace Summer Uniform [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 8 single-target Fire/NE magic attacks, Instant Cast, Physical Blink 1 to party, Burst Mode
-CMD1 Fire, NE Four single attacks (1,96 each), five attacks if user is in front row
-CMD2 Fire, NE Two group attacks (3,90 each), grants Lingering Spirit to the user for 20 seconds

Did you say instant cast party physical blink on a BLK/SUM6 character? Count me in. CMD2 is great since it buffs you while keeping the hurting going. CMD1 is inferior to Chain Firaga unless you're capping damage even if you use him in front row. I wouldn't bother.

Excellent.

Locke's Armguard [LMR, +10 ATK] - Start battle with EnFire
+fire
You probably won't entrust Locke immediately so this gets the full effect. Unless you're planning on lifesiphoning.

Excellent.

Krile's Dress [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Fire for 25 seconds at start of battle
+fire
Krile wants to use her fire BLK/SUM magic before getting her chain off.

Excellent.

0 dupes. Probably ~3 pulls for me. I want a fire chain and I want + fire equipment since I have none. I also want a 6* dagger for Vaan which ups Locke OSB's value.

That's one hot banner, friends. Get it? Because they're all fire rel... fine, I'll find my own way out.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Banner 2

Ingus Rune Axe [LCSSB, +10 ATK] - 11 single-target Earth physical attacks, activates Earth Limit Chain, Guts to party

Chains etc. Guts is a good bonus.

Top tier earth relic.

Galuf Platinum Hammer [USSB, +10 ATK] - ATK & MAG +30% and Haste to party, En-Earth to user
+earth

A bit of an oddball Ultra since Galuf is a damage dealer. Vessel of Fate is solid and after gaining enEarth he can start doing damage himself. However looking at that effect list and the relic rarity you're really left wanting a bit more especially since VoF is common and can't stack with Elarra Raider etc. I like using this at the beginning of the battle but I don't want to cast this again which is a problem since now we have a damage dealer who needs another SB for the latter part of the fight.

Great

Bartz Chicken Knife [USSB, +5 SPD & +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Wind/Water/Fire/Earth physical attacks, EX "Spellblade Barrage (ATK +30%, cast speed x2,00, casts Wind/Water/Fire/Earth Barrage after dealing Wind/Water/Fire/Earth damage with a Spellblade ability)"
-Spellblade Barrage: Randomly deals two (50%) or eight (50%) random attacks (0,40 each), 100% hit rate

Quad element entry, +30 primary stat and double cast speed everything is already amazing and the EX chase is icing on the cake. How the chase works is when using wind/water/fire/earth spellblades it chases with either two or eight attacks of the element you used. On average you're getting 5x0,4 = 2,0 worth of bonus damage which is insane if you consider the source ability had a potency of 3,2 at most. Do note that it does not work with elements other than those four.

Butts can dive for 35% double cast spellblades and if you get this you should dive him for insane damage output. Even when using, say, Thundering Quadstrike, you're getting his double cast passive LM2 with double cast speed and +30 atk from USB. Spellblades hit so many elements this is essentially a free pass to sub 30 3* magicites.

Top tier multi element all star.

Tifa God's Hand [OSSB, +10 ATK] - Single-target Earth/NE Overflow physical attack

Nothing special about this OSB which makes it the worst kind of OSB. It's still a fine bomb to dish out after using some abilities. This should've been her USB instead on the banner.

Decent earth thing.

Tifa Kaiser Knuckle [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Earth/NE physical attacks, Imperil Earth, Burst Mode
-CMD1 Earth, NE Four single attacks (0,47 each), quickcast
-CMD2 Earth, NE Single 1,1 hit Grants Dance of Carnage (Critical chance =50%) to the user for 15 seconds, quickcast

Imperil entry. CMD1 is unimpressive but since Gaia Rush is somewhat weak too (Four single attacks (0,72 each), +20% critical chance but normal cast speed) CMD1 should be somewhat equivalent DPS. CMD2 is good for a critfix but they should've included it to the entry. At least it does damage even if it's a single hit.

Like all other similar SBs this is the new player's dream. Imperil lets you gain more SB vs anything and quickcast keeps the SB chain going without needing barely any hones.

Good.

Guy Gigantaxe [BSB, +10 ATK] - 6 AOE Earth/NE physical attacks, Imperil Earth, Burst Mode
-CMD1 Earth, NE Four single attacks (0,14 each), multiplier increases with user's ATK up to 0,65 (...)
-CMD2 Earth, NE Two group attacks (0,65 each), grants Dark Bargain (+30 atk -30 def) to the user for 20 seconds

Imperil earth with a poor man's Omega Drive. The really, really, really poor man's Omega Drive. CMD1 is garbage, CMD2 has a damaging bargain which is cool.

Decent.

Bartz Great Sword [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Earth/NE physical attacks, En-Earth, Burst Mode
-CMD1 Earth, Wind Four single attacks (0,47each), grants Spellblade +15% Boost 2 to the user
-CMD2 Earth, Wind Three single attacks (0,47 each), grants Meikyo Shisui (ATK and RES +30%) to the user for 20 seconds

There we go. Enearth and commands that do things. Since GL doesn't have an earth quadstrike yet and won't for quite a while we'll need to consider the multiplier we're comparing these against is 2x1,2 Quack Strike. I can easily see CMD1 taking over its damage with four hits. Even after we get quadstrike that CMD2 is hot, CMD1 has too low duration then. That being said this is not the Butts relic you want from the banner.

Excellent.

Maria Rune-Graven Bow [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 8 single-target Earth/NE magic attacks, En-Earth, Burst Mode
-CMD1 Earth, NE 3/4/5/6 single attacks (2,00 each) at 624/973/1032 MAG, causes Petrify (5%)
-CMD2 Earth, Fire Two group attacks (3,09 each), grants Magic Bargain to the user for 20 seconds

This is Papalymo's thing but earth. Maria has a worse LM2 than Papa but this is still one of the best earth relics in the game for exactly the same reasons. CMD1 can petrify which is worthless but at least the multiplier doesn't get punished for having it. CMD2 is a good AoE option and the fire element is sometimes surprisingly relevant (someone might remember the whole Red Soul "gently caress this have Maria BSB for CMD2 or bust" thing).

Top tier earth relic.

Rydia Slepnir's Tail [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 5 AOE Earth/NE summon magic attacks, En-Earth, Burst Mode
-CMD1 Earth, NE Four single attacks (2,24 each), minimum damage 1100
-CMD2 Earth, NE Two group attacks (3,14 each), minimum damage 1100

Oh good, something from the museum. Enearth, lose the ability to defend. Rydia can BLK for Chain Stonega and SUM for Titan.

Acceptable.

Gladiolus War Sword [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 6 AOE Earth/NE physical attacks, En-Earth, Burst Mode
-CMD1 Earth, NE 1/2/3/4/5 single attacks (0,48 each) at 327/654/1700/2490 DEF
-CMD2 Earth, NE Two single attacks (1,25 each), grants Sentinel to the user for 25 seconds

Shield slam? With a sword? Well, it's enearth and the CMD1 can somewhat shine for now since we're missing Dirtbringer (Guardbringer clone) and CMD2 is a free Sentinel so you don't need to carry Gaia's Cross. Once Dirtbringer is out I can't really se 5x0,48 outdoing 4x1,0 and once Dirtbringer is buffed to five hits it's just game over for CMD1. The defense requirement might seem intimidating but you'll get there with Wall, Protectga and Sentinel.

Decent.

Ursula Master Fist [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Earth/Fire physical attacks, En-Earth, Burst mode
-CMD1 Earth, Fire Four single attacks (0,47 each), quickcast
-CMD2 Earth, Fire Two single attacks (0,54 each), grants Dance of Carnage to the user for 15 seconds

Quite similar to Tifa's BSB2 except Enearth instead of imperil and a two hit CMD2. Doesn't really change much.

Good.

Ingus Aegis Shield [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 4 AOE Earth/NE physical attacks, ATK & DEF +30% to user, En-Earth, Burst Mode
petrify resist
-CMD1 Earth, NE Two single attacks (0,98 each), grants Sentinel to the user for 25 seconds
-CMD1 Earth, NE Two single attacks (0,98 each), grants Retaliate to the user for 15 seconds

Nice entry, Enearth with self buff. Commands are weak but carry a tauntaliate on stick if it's ever relevant. Dingus wants Dirtbringer (Guardbringer earth clone) to use his enearth with because right now his enearth does jack all. It should be released within a month or so.

Good.

Tifa Tifa's Model [LMR, +10 ATK] - Start battle with EnEarth
+earth

Tifa's best SB is her USB and it doesn't give her enEarth so this is a good fit.

Excellent.

Galuf Kenpo Gi [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Monk abilities

Dual cast your primary damage school.

Excellent.

After our fire high we've certainly fallen back to earth.

Only two +earth relics, threeish chase things. Personally 2 dupes with Dingus and Maria BSBs. I think I'll give it one pull because you don't skip banners with Chicken Knife on them.

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 19, 2017

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

you need good en-elements or chains to sub 30

I sub 30'd all of them with 3 good enelements and 0 chains and so did many others.

There are plenty of viable ways to sub 30 and chains or strong enelements are just two of them.

Listen to Attestant's voice of reason here regarding Butts USB. Also Attestant, do you want to review some of the fest banners? Five is many banners.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I could always pitch in with my own reviews if people cared. I'm not overly keen on drawing (mostly due to lack of mythril), so I'll be happy enough to play armchair analyst.

I'd care at least. You want a shot at banner 5 if Attestant has 3 and 4 covered? I'll do VI-1 before Christmas myself then which seems to clash with the fest again as VI banners always seem to do.

There's no way to actually tell if a USB or especially a BSB is good or not these days unless you go dig up the small print like CMD multipliers up from Enlir's and compare them to what's readily available in ability form and what the character can use etc. The in game descriptions are useless.

Apparently we're also getting a bunch of Rematch fights (not to be confused with Revival fights (not to be confused with Renewal dungeons)).

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I'm afraid I have no personal experience with Buttstuffs but in a similar fashion I'm using Terra in five of the eight sub 30 clears I have and she could be used in water and dark too. Holy not so much, until they release Maduin at least.

Here are my damage dealers for magicite sub 30 clears:

Ice is just Terra because it's weak to fire
Lit is Terra (USB) and Maria (BSB)
Fire is Terra (USB) and Edge (USB)
Golem is Terra (USB) and Edge (no sb)
Wind is Terra (USB), Rinoa (BSB2) and Serah (BSB1)
---
Water was Lightning (SSB2 and OSB) and TGCid (OSB) but since I now have Lightning's USB it's whatever. I could easily have Terra in here too.
Holy is Raines (BSB, OSB) and "someone who can cast Dark Zone over and over"(Kuja with BSB). Terra could come here with Ultima Weapon in tow.
Dark is Raines (BSB, OSB) and "someone who can cast Guardbringer over and over" (Agrias with OSB)

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Dirtbringer and the earth ninja abilities will fix a lot of this "what can I even use for earth damage" issue we're having.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Vivi and most, if not, all trances last 25 seconds. In practice the fight ends before the trance does

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I'm a bit worried about having enough Gil in the long run. Honing 6* abilities costs a fortune and exchanging 4* orbs to 5*s isn't free either.

But yeah I'm liking the dailies. Not sure if I should even do XP sunday or just get more orbs when previously the way worse xp dailies were the only ones I bothered with.

And GL tuesday isn't xp boosted, just sunday.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

When Third Anniversary comes around, we more or less get tens of millions of gil - I want to say the final amount was something like 34 million? - dropped in our lap with magic pot goodie fights. Might not be enough for grinding up all your 5*/6* skills to R5, but it's not chump change, either.

Oh that's nice. It's a decent sum. Those 6* hone costs are just insanity, R4 is 20 mil.

And yeah selling upgrade mats is a given but I just hit bankrupcy a few months ago from R3 meltdown, tritoch and sss. Been recovering since.

Not sure why I'm so poor but my collection of reforged 4* gear might be the culprit. Luckily I don't need to make them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

You're absolutely right, I miscounted the zeroes.

• Locked thread