Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Season 1 TVIV thread | Season 1 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtnJjn6ng0

Season 2 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emxUMjZpxbQ

:siren: Season two is released on Friday December 8th. :siren:

Synopsis posted:

The Crown tells the inside story of two of the most famous addresses in the world -- Buckingham Palace and 10 Downing Street - and the intrigues, love lives and machinations behind the great events that shaped the second half of the 20th century. Two houses, two courts, one Crown.

As the fragile social order established in Britain after the Second World War breaks apart, the second season bears witness to the end of the age of deference, and ushers in the revolutionary era of the 1960s.
The Crown is an epic drama series, created and written by Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon, The Queen) and produced by Left Bank Pictures for Netflix. The Crown will eventually trace the life of Queen Elizabeth II from her wedding in 1947 to the present day. It is expected to span 60 episodes over six seasons, with Claire Foy playing the Queen for the first two seasons.

Seasons 3 & 4 have already been greenlit by Netflix and will see a change of actors for the principal characters with Olivia Colman set to play Elizabeth II in seasons 3 & 4
The Crown won two Golden Globe award, was nominated for 9 Emmys and won 3 including best costumes and outstanding production design.

But I hate the monarchy and they should all be sent to the guillotine!
Sure, but the show doesn't exactly glorify the monarchy it shows how out of touch with the rest of the world they were/are. Plus you cannot deny that arguably the most powerful woman of the 20th century doesn't lead an interesting life, which makes for great television.

Cast: IMDB

Queen Elizabeth II (Claire Foy) Daughter of King George VI and Queen Consort Elizabeth.

Prince Philip [nee' Philip Mountbatten] (Matt Smith) Elizabeth's husband, the Duke of Edinburgh. Philip was born into the Greek and Danish royal families.

Princess Margaret (Vanessa Kirby) Daughter of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, and the only sibling of Queen Elizabeth II.

Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (Victoria Hamilton) wife and Queen of King George VI and the mother of Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret.

Anthony Eden (Jeremy Northam) Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, succeeding Winston Churchill.

Qyburn Harold Macmillan (Anton Lesser) Chancellor of the Exchequer, head of Her Majesty's Treasury. Prime Minister following the resignation of Anthony Eden.

Duke of Windsor (Alex Jennings) Uncle of Elizabeth and Margaret. Formerly King Edward VIII, before abdicating the throne as to marry an American woman, Wallis Simpson (Lia Williams)

Trailers:
Season 2 trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emxUMjZpxbQ
Evolution of The Crown - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA2znEa7pMM
Phillip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4_YocuVeg
Margaret - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dasSmCKNlRE

More to come...

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well they certainly didn't waste any time jumping back into things...

Season 2 is out now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I absolutely loved the first season, I hope this keeps up the quality.

It's sad this is Claire Foy's last season but Olivia Colman is one hell of a replacement.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The Antony Armstrong-Jones/Princess Margaret scenes are really well done, they have so much chemistry nevertheless there's a slow-motion car crash aspect to it. Matthew Goode is really well cast.

Also it's a real strength of this show that they can portray the Duke of Windsor as an utter rear end in a top hat and still make you feel sorry for him.

Whiny Philip gets tiresome fast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've only watched the first episode so far but Anthony Eden's utter assuredness while loving absolutely everything up is a joy to watch.

Also enjoyed Philip happily setting up his props on the dinner table and then the servants trying to take them away :)

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Episode 9 is a real standout. Not going to spoil anything, but dramatically and visually it's just stunning. Worth working through the rest just for that one.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Elizabeth getting the truth out of Eden about the collusion with France and Israel was fascinating because she's not really in the loop, but has the authority to demand knowing things that most people wouldn't be able to know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 6 - Vergangenheit - godDAMN is the Duke of Windsor a gigantic piece of poo poo. I mean, holy poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ep 3: god drat that scene with Phillip getting made a prince like “now I will have respect!!!!” while everyone in the room just stares daggers at him was great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Ep 3: god drat that scene with Phillip getting made a prince like “now I will have respect!!!!” while everyone in the room just stares daggers at him was great

My favorite part of that was right at the end of that episode when he goes to see his old buddy and insists he call him Phillip, not "Sir", and of course the guy doesn't because even a gently caress-up like that understands that the rank supercedes their friendship.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Episode 6 - Vergangenheit - godDAMN is the Duke of Windsor a gigantic piece of poo poo. I mean, holy poo poo.

I think it's kind of funny that practically the only things Phillip and Tommy Laschelles agree on is that that the Duke of Windsor is trash.

I finished the season two night's ago:
Episode 5: The show really loved John Grigg doesn't it? And now I want a rom-com spin-off between him and his secretary. I also enjoyed the moment when Elizabeth chews out Michael for that god awful speech. Phillip is wrong about a great many things but his disdain for the "Mustaches" is one I happen to agree with.

Episode 6: how much of a Nazi was the Duke of Windsor really? It was also great to see Lithgow and especially Harris again

Episode 7: Well that got a little steamy. I was pleasantly surprised at how explicit they got with Tony's bisexuality, though not nearly as explicit as all the naked ladies. :stare:

Episode 8: That was a terrible Jack Kennedy, and they also portrayed him as something of a monster. It felt a little hacky that Elizabeth and Jackie Kennedy would both be "oh she's soooo much better at this than little old me, but something something patriarchy. In general though, anytime Elizabeth gets interested by something I enjoy it because it clearly goes against how she thinks the monarch should act, but she can't help it because she's human.

Episode 9: I try not to do this, but Phillip describing turbulence as "just air" to Charles felt extremely Doctory to me...at least until he started yelling st Charles for being weak. Interesting episode in that it both humanized (the scene of Phillip walking with the funeral procession past all the Nazis was chilling :stare:) and demonized him at the same time (his extremely callous treatment of Charles).

Episode 10: for a brief shining moment I thought Annett Mahendru from the Americans was the young lady at the heart of the Profumo scandal, but she wasn't and I was sad. I love that Matt Smith's last (?) line in the series is cursing out the Royal Family's inability to sit still for a picture :xd:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

howe_sam posted:

Episode 9: I try not to do this, but Phillip describing turbulence as "just air" to Charles felt extremely Doctory to me...at least until he started yelling st Charles for being weak. Interesting episode in that it both humanized (the scene of Phillip walking with the funeral procession past all the Nazis was chilling :stare:) and demonized him at the same time (his extremely callous treatment of Charles).
The way the show deals with the Nazis is pretty good I think. Like, they're not just a monstrous enemy from a great big war, they're shown as a social phenomenon which doesn't just speak to Germans but terrible people everywhere.

howe_sam posted:

Episode 10: for a brief shining moment I thought Annett Mahendru from the Americans was the young lady at the heart of the Profumo scandal, but she wasn't and I was sad. I love that Matt Smith's last (?) line in the series is cursing out the Royal Family's inability to sit still for a picture :xd:
I love Philip on this show, he's a nice contrast to the seriousness of the mustaches. Perhaps especially evident when Princess Margaret has a "naked photo" in the newspaper and it's pretty clear that he just thinks its hilarious - perhaps because it'll upset the mustaches terribly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished up the season and really enjoyed it, but I feel like it skipped over a lot of stuff or didn't quite go into enough depth with it. I love Matt Smith and his Philip was extremely interesting, but I felt there was a bit of dilution going on trying to tell his story AND the Queen's story AND Margaret's story AND to a lesser extent Harold Macmillan's (though the scene of him getting lampooned was fantastic) - Claire Foy's Elizabeth is the central character and even though she gets the most screentime it feels lacking compared to last season's cohesiveness.

All that said, my favorite episode was probably episode 9 which is almost entirely focused on Philip and Charles, paralleling the child Philip with his son and that shot of him sitting in despair/disgust in the plane while the Royal Detective consoles Charles in the back was pretty incredible.

That's it for Claire Foy and Matt Smith right? It's a shame to see them go even if Olivia Colman is a fantastic replacement for Foy. Gotta agree with:

howe_sam posted:

I love that Matt Smith's last (?) line in the series is cursing out the Royal Family's inability to sit still for a picture :xd:

That and the final shot were excellent.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I didn't like this season as much as the first. I thought Matt Smith was great, even if the Philip stuff got pretty repetitive, but it felt like Calire Foy got sidelined a bit. Any time she had a scene with Philip or the Prime Ministers she was amazing, and any episode that focused on a Queen Elizabeth issue was a standout, but I think her getting used to her role as the monarch in the first season got rid of some of the conflict of her story for this season.

I still enjoyed it. The episodes that stick in my mind are the "issue of the week" kind of things, like the London Smog or Prime Minister's Portrait episodes from season one. I look forward to Olivia Colman's reign.

Jerusalem posted:

That's it for Claire Foy and Matt Smith right? It's a shame to see them go even if Olivia Colman is a fantastic replacement for Foy. Gotta agree with:

I'd be surprised if we didn't get some flashback cameos, like Jared Harris and John Lithgow showing up this season.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Episode 6: how much of a Nazi was the Duke of Windsor really? It was also great to see Lithgow and especially Harris again

It's not as much of whether he was a Nazi (doesn't seem like he was) but that he sympathized with the government and had way too close of a relationship with them, even as the show illustrates the possibility that he leaked war plans. There's also the possibility that he collaborated with them and had his eyes on returning to the throne as essentially a Nazi puppet leader.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I really love this show and am sad that the entire cast is going to be turned over starting next season. I mean I get why but still.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Still working my way through this, it's really enjoyable.

"I thought you were hoping for more children from me. Then why on earth would you do something like that to your hair?"

:britain::iceburn::britain:
:drat:

Now I'm really interested in how much (ep6) of a Nazi the Duke of Windsor really was. I know the Royal Family isn't officially involved in the project, and that it's a dramatization, but it seems really distasteful to say that a former king, even a disgraced one, from living memory conspired to usurp the throne and supported and praised the deaths of British citizens in that pursuit if it's not true.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Now I'm really interested in how much (ep6) of a Nazi the Duke of Windsor really was. I know the Royal Family isn't officially involved in the project, and that it's a dramatization, but it seems really distasteful to say that a former king, even a disgraced one, from living memory conspired to usurp the throne and supported and praised the deaths of British citizens in that pursuit if it's not true.
Dude was still a fan of Hitler after the war, so I think it's fair to perhaps exaggerate his Nazi-loving traits if it makes for a better story. Plus, the way the show presents the evidence for his Nazi-loving ways is two-fold; the objective Marburg Files, and then the words of Tommy Lascelles - the latter of which is who presents the more incendiary claims. I think that's a pretty decent way of saying "He at least did this stuff, though he might have done much worse that we can't confirm".

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really love this show and am sad that the entire cast is going to be turned over starting next season. I mean I get why but still.
The new Philip better not disappoint. The character serves the very important purpose of reminding everyone how stupid it all is.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, I get the role of Philip in the show, but imo it humanizes him and makes you identify with him too much when irl Philip is a serious rear end in a top hat.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah, Windsor's views were pretty accurately portrayed. He wasn't exactly alone among the British upper class in his sympathy for the Nazis, although he was in a unique position. I seem to recall Speer mentioning that Hitler felt the abdication was something of a loss for the Nazis. And I'm pretty sure Churchill had to threaten him to get him to return to the UK rather than Spain after the fall of France.

Man was an utter poo poo.

The only contentious bit is the allegation about providing Allied military plans to the Nazis, but even that wouldn't surprise me.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, I get the role of Philip in the show, but imo it humanizes him and makes you identify with him too much when irl Philip is a serious rear end in a top hat.

Comedian Adam Hills does a good story about meeting the queen and the reason why phillip is a bit of a bastard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLhQw4739c

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

drunkill posted:

Comedian Adam Hills does a good story about meeting the queen and the reason why phillip is a bit of a bastard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLhQw4739c
I didn't expect this, but this anecdote explains so much about the guy. Being the "Oh, right, the queen has a husband"-guy for 70 years would probably push most people towards a certain way of acting in public, and in the case of Philip it was building on a foundation of massive emotional neglect.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Never pick a fight with a woman who can summon you to her fortress and make you wait while she parades literal regiments of soldiers in front of you.

Everything about that scene owned. Jackie was right about one thing though, the main foyer at Buckingham is loving ghastly.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Episode 9 was a fantastic bit of television.

It's all been great so far, however that episode was so rich in emotion.

Philip being the man he is because of the death of his family and the school, yet feeling the school will get the result for his son.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Helena Bonham Carter will play Princess Margaret going forward until the next cast change.

I guess that confirms Johnny Depp to play Prince Phillip.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ralph Fiennes or nobody :colbert:

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Thought this season was fantastic. I think the scene between Margaret and Elizabeth after the birth of Andrew is my favorite scene in the whole show. I think the whole Margaret/Antony stuff is my favorite even though I feel like normally I would hate that kind of storyline. They just have great chemistry and they're both fantastic actors. Really curious how much of a time jump they do between this and the next season with Olivia Colman and who they get.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Mighty Steed posted:

Episode 9 was a fantastic bit of television.

It's all been great so far, however that episode was so rich in emotion.

Philip being the man he is because of the death of his family and the school, yet feeling the school will get the result for his son.

I thought it was great, too, until I looked it up and discovered a lot of it was heavily embellished, if not an outright lie. That seems to be the case for most of The Crown. Maybe it's best to forgo Wikipedia and Google and just enjoy it for what it is, which I do.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Octy posted:

I thought it was great, too, until I looked it up and discovered a lot of it was heavily embellished, if not an outright lie. That seems to be the case for most of The Crown. Maybe it's best to forgo Wikipedia and Google and just enjoy it for what it is, which I do.

I watched a documentary on Netflix called the Nazi King (guess who it's about) that cites a bunch of FBI documents and agrees with pretty much everything The Crown said about that piece of poo poo. Admitted the respectability of documentaries is kind of in the toilet these days and I didn't go out and confirm stuff but they at least made it sound like they did their homework. And it was a BBC documentary made in 2009.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think top episodes of the season for me was the JKF episode and Nazi Duke of Windsor's focus episode. This season did a great job at focusing on tertiary and side events while still keeping the focus on the royal duties. Much more of an episodic story than an overall theme.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

nerdman42 posted:

I think top episodes of the season for me was the JKF episode and Nazi Duke of Windsor's focus episode.

Those two and the one with the parallel stories of Charles and Philip were the best for sure, even if the latter is apparently almost a complete fabrication (it makes for drat good drama, in any case).

In general with the Duke of Windsor at least, they had access to all his correspondence from across most of his post-King life and he apparently really was just a complete piece of poo poo.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Rumor going around that Paul Bettany is going to play Philip in seasons 3+4. I like it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That would be pretty good, even if I did have my heart set on Ralph Fiennes

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

I think top episodes of the season for me was the JKF episode

The out of nowhere character assassination of JFK was weird.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

howe_sam posted:

The out of nowhere character assassination of JFK was weird.

Is it truly character assassination if JFK is a piece of poo poo?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JFK was on a giant cocktail of drugs for a variety of health problems, many of which affected his emotional mood which meant he had to take another cocktail of drugs to deal with THOSE effects.

I don't doubt the drama of it all was played up/exaggerated for that episode so they could play up the parallels between The First Lady and The Queen, but it didn't seem particularly out of the realm of possibility. Especially all the affairs he allegedly had, which Jackie allegedly knew about but had to turn a blind eye towards because of the damage it would do to his political career.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It was actually pretty refreshing to see JFK portrayed as a full-on dick after years and years of tortured statesman hagiographies.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
Know this thread is old, but I just finished the second series and I loved episode 9 and the Duke of Windsor episode. I almost like the Kennedy episode, but JFK's portrayal was so weird in that he didn't really look or sound like JFK. Like I was absolutely fine that he was portrayed as an rear end in a top hat, but he's like the most recognizable figure from that era and they kind of whiffed on the impression. Especially weird because Jackie was pretty spot on. I know it's kind of nitpicky, but it really took me out of it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, they could have at least given him the iconic jfk hairstyle, if nothing else. Not sure if Micheal C hall has all his own hair back after cancer, maybe he was reluctant to have it cut.

• Locked thread