Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

AC

I don't want to endanger the Sejin, even though I'm scared.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

IE

Ask:
What would you do if something tried to attack us?
How long have you been traveling with the Sejin?
Why did the Sejin drop his blood into the obelisk?
What does it look like inside the obelisk?
Can I touch you?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Q Best not mess with that one... yet.

Question: How much life was in those drops of blood from the Sejin?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Oh boy, secrets. Also, betting "a little more long lived" is a major understatement.

A

Question for Nomia:
Are there many stories about Elatha the Moonchild?

Questions for the Sejin:
Ask him what he thinks about Nomia's story. Has he heard it? Has he heard of Elatha the Moonchild?
Do all sprits require that kind of blood payment?
What is a Geas?
What was Nomia like before he captured(?) her?
How did he learn to speak her language?

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at Dec 11, 2017 around 04:17

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

B Flame spearhead. I want to know about the dancing figure. I want to dance the dance of poking things with fire.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Well that was interesting.

A.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

I want to ask about what that blank spot was before we commit to telling the Sejin about our experience, but I'm pretty sure I want to tell him about it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Ask the Sejin
What was up with that missing pedestal?
Do all the pedestals represent something unique?
Can I learn to speak to Alnaar Alramh?
Who was the man made of smoke I saw at the forge? A Djinni?
Who was the woman wielding Alnaar?
What is the name of the creature made of pure fire and molten rock that she fought?
What is the story of that city made of glass spires?

Also, I just realized how bold it was for us to take something fire aspected even though we still have nightmares about getting burned. gently caress you fire we've got our own now.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Can you tell me more about the Scarred? Why don't they exist anymore?

E: What was your boon?

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at Dec 16, 2017 around 18:58

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Aabcehmu posted:

He just said that the Serpent Pendant and Spearhead are for the traveler and warrior, who are of the tradition of the Sejin.

I'm hoping you can guess what his pendant was.

Calm down. That's what I assumed, but if we have the opportunity to know, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Hexenritter posted:

We should definitely polish Spear-kun regularly just to establish that connection, and maybe oil it now and then.

I dunno, I get the feeling our spear is a chan rather than a kun. Either way, I agree. I want to go all in on being pals with *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning*.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Minivote 1

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

AHEF

Questions for the Sejin:
Is there magic that relies on singing or math?
What types of magical specialties are there other than Binding? What are you best at?
How did you learn more about your traveler's knife?
Can dreams be dangerous?
Can dreams be controlled?
Would learning your language first make it any easier to learn Ignian? Or is Ignian just too weird to learn compared to a human language for there to be any benefit.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Switching to B ENG
Fighting is useful, math is cool and useful, learning the Sejin's language first will speed up learning flametongue and we'll be able to make him happy talking in his native tongue

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

More questions for the Sejin: (Sorry)
What kinds of things can people do with Elementalism? Is that what you were using when you drew spells in the air during your fight with the bug creatures?
*unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* can protect me from fire. Would learning about Abjuration make that easier?
Would learning about any particular type of magic make using my spear easier? Or is that just a thing that will develop naturally?
What spells do you use most often?
How do you have so many magic objects? Is that unusual?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Questions for the Sejin:
When you said you try not to use Magic you sounded sad. Has it always been dangerous to leave behind traces of Magic?
What sort of dangerous things are attracted to the use of Magic?
Are there ways to obscure or hide the "scent" of Magic after it has been left?
Is there a general name for people who have gone through the ritual? Magician?
Is it rare for Magicians to fight each other? What is a confrontation like that like?

Also gently caress yeah tea party

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

That tea party was great. Slice of life is the best, and I'm happy that the Sejin is so pleased to hear us speaking his native language. Side benefit of being able to read more of his stuff is also neat.

So something bad happened in the Sejin's home country and he hasn't been back in ages? I suspect that if we ever run into someone else who speaks Eurbaa they're going to tell us that we speak a dated dialect of it.

Have we tried talking to Alnaar with our extremely limited Ignian?
What's the level of technology in Cloister? How do the lights work in the city? Have we ever seen something like them?
What's the general level of technology in the world? In my head I was kind of guessing Medieval but Cloister looks more modern than that.

For the Sejin:
Should I be worried that Alnaar is getting restless for a fight?
What is Solitude? Is it the name for the place you go when you use your traveler's dagger?

F Maybe there will be something to buy that isn't a silly tchotchke!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TheCog posted:

EDIT: Just adding a note here, for myself, this is the last day of 2017, if this game is still active the last day of 2018 i'll consider it a huge accomplishment.

I really like the kind and mysterious father/mentor you've created for us and I like the idea of becoming a badass magician so I plan on sticking around at least.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Hmmm A

Definitely want to check out that bird, though.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Casually ask one of the onlookers what's up with the kids that no one is playing with.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Scout
BN

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Welp.

D

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Yessss knowing (a bit of) ignian made this moment much more awesome. I'll have to remember to ask if we really learned that word or if that's Alnaar's influence.

B) Ride the storm

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

I'm still hopeful that our insanely hopeful reinterpretation of feeling shattered will somehow pay off. Or at least not get us killed horribly

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Hmmm. Go C and risk maybe losing more, or accept the loss and wake up.

C

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

B, because this was traumatic, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ignian comes out when we try to speak normally.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Well, other than that mysterious part of oursleves we lost, that seems to have gone relatively well, actually.

1. B
2. C
3. IST (Ignian, Alnaar, witch sight. Doubling down on this badass weapon of ours, plus adding to our senses)
4. Try to figure out what we lost.

Did we know the Ignian word for glory before we heard it from Alnaar?
Ask Elder Nestor about the Tree of Life on his clothing.

Ask the Sejin:
-When Alnaar started pupeteering my body, I heard the Ignian word for glory. Was that really Alnaar? Should I infer that's what motivates him?
-Can you tell me more about Calydonian Boars?
-If an Ensouled weapon is just below the greatest items of magic power, what kind of things sit at the top?
-How did you meet Elder Nestor?
-What were you trying to say to Alnaar when I woke up?
-Ask the Sejin about the dream(?) water we fell(?) into after wielding Alnaar became too much to us and what we should do if we ever find ourselves back there.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at Apr 26, 2018 around 18:13

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Rereading the update before last, I see that there was (what looked like) a momentary glint of teeth from a reflection in the water as we woke up. Probably a good thing the As won out, since that's probably what we would have found had we gone looking for what we lost.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TheCog, I hope you know that if you ever give us a choice on what we say when someone asks what our name is, we're totally going to vote for Sundar. Because Sundar is a badass name and I think our birth name is Cassandra but I don't actually know for sure?

fake edit: lol nope it's Clarissa.

also this:

Basscop posted:

TheCog. This game is cool and good. Keep it up.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Questions for the Elder:
Do Silence and Stillness still try to quiet Song?
Where did the genesis seed take root? Is it a place someone can visit?
When you were checking my injuries after I woke up, I heard a faint chant. Was that the First Song?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

The Sejin calls us Sundar as a sign of affection. It's the name of a flower that he is particularly fond of. I really like the way it sounds, and we hear it so much more than our "real" name that I basically think of Sundar as our real name instead.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at Apr 29, 2018 around 13:03

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TheCog posted:

The Elder's expression changes slightly, as if he'd had a sudden realization. "What you heard was the echo of a fragment of one of the chords. The First Song is not something anyone can fully know."

You look like you just realized something. Is hearing anything at all unusual?

TheCog posted:

The elder seems to take a second to ponder your question. "Yes. That is the eternal, perpetual battle. The ebb and flow. Its one of the reasons its so important to nurture the Song."

Do they inteterfere directly, or do they have some kind of... representatives?
Wishing I could make some reference to entropy here, but I'm assuming that's not something we would have heard.

TheCog posted:

"It took root somewhere deep beneath the earth. A long time ago it was known where, and people gathered to make pilgrimages to the roots of the Great Tree, but that knowledge has been lost to time."

How does something like that get lost? Is it not there anymore? Or people stopped going? Both sound tragic.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at May 2, 2018 around 16:43

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

A

Did we get a good look at our dream spear? Was it Alnaar?

Quesitons for the Sejin
Ask about the badass light spell DAW' RAHIB, but probably refrain from actually saying it unless we want to kill ourselves accidentally casting it.
Who or what is Kemphet?
What does "Mahjurat min qibal al'arwah , luein tariq alqadr" mean? It sounds like was probably a curse. Might give us some idea where our vision self was from.
What were the monsters we saw?
What the hell did the person in our vision do at the end?
Any idea from the context what that one word of command could have been?

Crazycryodude posted:

A

Also seems like a pretty good lesson to take is that we should start expanding our mana pool at the fastest rate we can afford and stop approximately never because drat you can do some real baller poo poo up to and including invulnerability as long as you have the mana to sustain it.

Agreed that increasing our pool should be a higher priority.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Questions for the Sejin:
-Is there anything special about that Terrible Light spell? I imagine all the spells that show up in the Fragments have gotten a lot of examination over the centuries.
-How does someone "approach the Root too closely?"
-Are there still people strong enough to imprint a Fragment onto the Root?
-Do people know how many of these Fragments there are?
-Are some Fragments more common than others?
-Is there a book of them I can get somewhere? Someone must have written them down at some point.
-Has anyone survived after using so much magic that they made a Fragment?
-How did the Malaeun fall?

1A - I'm not in favor of breaking our brains for knowledge when someone has probably already recorded all the Fragments.
2D - Pet I guess? Though really I'm fine with just trying to be buddies with our spear. Spirit would be cool, but spreading ourselves thin now with magic training sounds bad.
3H - Yep

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

Oh wow, a few thousand Fragments? To be honest I expected the number to be lower.

More questions for the Sejin:
-You lost me when you were talking about the Terrible Light spell. Could you explain it again?
-Can you tell me about the most common Fragments?
-Have you seen many of the Fragments yourself?
-Are there any you know of that have a reputation for being more... mentally dangerous?
-So if I'm doing or experiencing something intensely magical, I'm likely to experience a Fragment? And it may or may not have anything to do with what I'm doing?

New thread goal: make a new Fragment without kicking the bucket.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

It's experiencing everything first person that's probably the problem. In the dream we become the person at the center of the Fragment, and apparently some people have found themselves changed after that happened.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

We have quite a way to go until our force of personality is so strong that we stay the same and the historical person gets changed.

I'm saying it's the force of the personality in the Fragment that changes the dreamer. If anything I'm expressing that as a danger to us, of being changed by the personality in the Fragment. We have the potential to be hot poo poo, considering how many times we keep surprising the Sejin and what sort of attention we've already attracted, but I have no illusions that we're anything but a tadpole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TheCog posted:

The Sejin grimaces. "Yes." you ask him to elaborate. "It is unpleasant to talk about. But if it will dissuade you from doing something foolish, fine. There is one Fragment that relates to a sorcerer trying to give consciousness to a small animal, but he is so arrogant, so foolish he believes he cannot fail, so when things go on, he pours an incredible amount of mana into his spell. Under this strain, the spell fractures and goes awry. His consciousness is fragmented, it escapes his body, and is trapped within the small creature, but not just within the small creature, within every living thing within a wide distance. For a small instant you get to experience what it is like to have your mind utterly shattered into shards of agony, each screaming in confusion and alarm, before going mad."

Yep, alright, no Fragments for me.

Yikes.

I