Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

After Agent355 and I did Titan Quest we knew we had to get around to this at some point, so here it is!

Grim Dawn was developed by a company by the name of Crate Entertainment, who were founded from the ashes of Iron Lore studios (the original creators of Titan Quest). It recently got a new expansion that we will be showing off as well.

I kickstarted this game waaaaaaay back when but haven't really put much time in to it. Agent355 has played a million billion hours and will be guiding me through the game and picking up the slack from my probably lackluster builds with whatever it is he has decided to run. Hopefully you'll get a nice experienced perspective and someone experiencing it for basically the first time.

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Videos so far

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 18, 2018

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
So the episode 0 video has a tiny bit of the plot at the begining of the game, but you can safely skip it if you'd like. It's just us cheesing the game by grinding early in one of the DLC modes. The real update is when the proper game starts happening.

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 9, 2017

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker

Blackmage Yapo posted:

So the episode 0 video has a tiny bit of the plot at the begining of the game, but you can safely skip it if you'd like. It's just us cheesing the game by grinding early in one of the DLC modes. The real update is when the proper game starts happening.

is the video GD 0 supposed to be 360p? or is it youtube or my end loving it up?

fadderman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 3, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It still tops out at 360p, and has weird audio clipping issues.

fake edit - Video 1 has the audio thing too.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Everybody blame yapo! I am faultless!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

goatface posted:

It still tops out at 360p, and has weird audio clipping issues.

fake edit - Video 1 has the audio thing too.

Oh what the hell. I dunno what's going on with the audio but I know its working right for video 2.

On the videos being different resolutions I have no drat idea. They were recorded back to back and have the exact same codec/encoding process. I'll try to upload 0 again and see if that at least fixes the size issues.

I think I've finally hit the LP curse.

EDIT: I'm trying to upload part 0 again, so it may be unavailable for a time. I hate everything.

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 4, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think my favourite build was Skellemancer Shootman - anything that survived the boneswarm got shot in the face. Anything that survived that, I ran from, because goddamn, if it could shrug off that much damage, it's not to be trifled with.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I love the post-apocalypse vibes of this game, and the big guns blasting monsters, think I played as a Commando and was lots of fun bringing my own fire support everywhere.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Blackmage Yapo posted:

EDIT: I'm trying to upload part 0 again, so it may be unavailable for a time. I hate everything.

I literally put the same file up and now its full HD. YouTube is going haywire.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cassa posted:

I love the post-apocalypse vibes of this game, and the big guns blasting monsters, think I played as a Commando and was lots of fun bringing my own fire support everywhere.

I really can't adequately state how much I love the setting in this game. Yeah cthulu-esque is hardly new, but there is just something insanely satisfying about fighting horrible flesh creatures that come pouring out of portals, blasting back with fire and poison and a squad of skelletons and just having a hell of a time.

Ancient greece is cool too but man, cthulian settings are just made for ARPGs.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The new expansion is pretty cool, even if it over uses 'the ground is lava' mechanic. I got 300 hours into this game, it's a blast messing around with different character builds. Speaking of TQ though, you guys going to go back and show off that new expansion on normal at least for the other LP? I found it pretty hard to get back into TQ after GD, there's just so many missing little touches for QoL improvements, and it feels so much slower and clunkier.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm not super interested in revisiting TQ for the expansion. Grim Dawn is just more of the same but better and TQ still has the problem where a playthrough of the game takes AGES, I don't know how long the new expansion is but considering it's already like 30 hours or something to play through the campaign it has to be absurdly long now.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Thanks for letting me know they released an expansion to Titan Quest. The only jarring thing i noticed is that it reuses some monsters from the other acts where all the other acts had almost completely different monsters from each-other. It's pretty good but it's not really the same caliber as Immortal Throne. It's hard to say how long it is as I've only put in about 6 hours over the last 2 days and I'm on the third major waypoint. It's really nice to get a new expansion after all these years!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Wait they released an actual new Titan Quest Expansion? Neat.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Lord_Magmar posted:

Wait they released an actual new Titan Quest Expansion? Neat.

Yep. As far as I know it's only for the anniversary edition on steam though

http://store.steampowered.com/app/741350/Titan_Quest_Ragnark/

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
One of the weirdest new features of TQ: Ragnaroek are the new color dyes. Now you can switch out your standard greek togas for some cultur-appropriate dress in the egypt, china and hades part of the game. I never suspected the game to be interesting for the "medival dress up simulator" crowd...

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 6, 2017

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I don't care about Titan Quest, it is slow and while I like e setting itself, the game doesn't do anything interesting with it. Grim Dawn is great however, it fixes every problem with Titan Quest, keeps its strengths and introduces an even better setting.

Anyway, what I really like about Grim Dawn (and Titan Quest) is that the skill system allows you to actually get multiple offensive skills instead of having to pick one and the character will still be viable. I'm not a fan of the "spam the same skill over and over" design of almost every other ARPG. I have a character who uses four different offensive skills, three active defensive ones (one skill serves both as offensive and defensive) and still works really well, so far at least.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Crystalgate posted:

I don't care about Titan Quest, it is slow and while I like e setting itself, the game doesn't do anything interesting with it. Grim Dawn is great however, it fixes every problem with Titan Quest, keeps its strengths and introduces an even better setting.

Anyway, what I really like about Grim Dawn (and Titan Quest) is that the skill system allows you to actually get multiple offensive skills instead of having to pick one and the character will still be viable. I'm not a fan of the "spam the same skill over and over" design of almost every other ARPG. I have a character who uses four different offensive skills, three active defensive ones (one skill serves both as offensive and defensive) and still works really well, so far at least.

I've been dumping all my points into certain skills and it's really good for certain parts but poo poo awful for others. Maybe I should try diversifying more. Or maybe I should just keep on keepin on and let the skeleton army carry my through the game.

Now that we've met the locals we've got to be on our way to bigger, better cities! Also gotta do all that investigating for them because apparently they're lazy sacks of crap.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The initial difficulty and maybe the second are easy enough that most builds shouldn't have too much trouble. Ultimate is designed as the gateway where bad builds go to die.

The problem with multiple offensive buttons is tha tyou can only be casting 1 spell at a time, so in order for multiple buttons to be viable you need a few things.

1. They can be for different stuff, Aoe vs Single target or Elemental vs Physical for instance. Then you just use whatever button is more appropriate for the situation.

2. They have a damage over time component. That way you cast a DoT and then go back to casting the nuke, increasing your DPS over just casting the nuke alone.

3. They have some other effect, a stun, lowered resistants, slow, damage out put, SOMETHING.

Even doing one of these things you still have to consider that you have limited skill poitns and maybe just using your AOE to fight bosses is still more effective than trying to spec into both an AoE and a single target ability.

That said 'optimal' good buidls still have you spamming a ton of different buttons, because there are skills that do these things for 1-4 points pretty effectively.

My current level 100 pet guy has:

A damage nuke with a +pet damage buff
A damage/defense debuff
A heal/damage temp buff
A poison DOT/defense debuff
A 20 second life pet that double as a single target nuke
A pet damage/speed buff

It's ~6 buttons, I'm probably forgetting something, and some of these are 20 second recasts and some completely spammable. And thats not including actually resummoning any pets that die and using my pet move command to shuffle my hoarde around the screen and keep them from standing in the fire. It's super interactive and fast paced despite pets being the laziest class in the game.

But at the end of the day if you make a build with 4 offense buttons with 5 points in each and another guy makes a build with 1 offense button with 20 points in it, the 20 points guy is going to out damage you and be more effective. High level builds are often 1 skill with 40+ points in it and 5-10 supporting skills with 1-10 points each)

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
What about the viability of movement or battlefield control skills in Grim Dawn builds?
Titan quest had very little of that outside the OP Dream stuff. Half the time as a caster or ranged guy you were kiting enemies back or had a wall of wolves to cover you.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The warrior/rogue specs (gladiator and nightblade I think?) both have dashes that can be targeted on enemies to run up and give em the ole' punch. Shaman is the only melee focused (sorta) class that doesn't get an equivalent, but since pretty much all melee focused builds take gladiator or nightblade it works out.

Defensive leaps don't really exist in grim dawn, you need enough hp/resists to tank some of the hits you can't dodge and probably some sort of debuff or crowd control effect to control the mob.

That said there isn't that much kiting in this game because individual enemies don't have as much life as they did in Titan Quest, so you probably are more getting over run by mass dudes than kiting one tough one.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The big dudes who charge you and are immune to CC are the best. I also love that many mobs have slow/stun moves when it's fairly difficult to find resistance gear for them.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Suspicious posted:

The big dudes who charge you and are immune to CC are the best. I also love that many mobs have slow/stun moves when it's fairly difficult to find resistance gear for them.

Yeah I keep getting frozen because I can't see the little blue balls in the mass of skeletons and it's super annoying. The best piece of gear I've seen for it so far gives a 6% reduction in frozen time.

And bosses being immune to stun is bullshit, it's like one of my main things.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I kinda wanna get into this. What's a fun build (and prob viable for :spergin: tier poo poo) that can call down lightning and destruction down on my enemies? What's a fun build that makes me never die?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SSNeoman posted:

I kinda wanna get into this. What's a fun build (and prob viable for :spergin: tier poo poo) that can call down lightning and destruction down on my enemies? What's a fun build that makes me never die?

If you take Demolitionist and Shaman they both have a turret you can slap down and watch shoot things, one is fireballs raining down while the other is chain lightning.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

SSNeoman posted:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56486

This is the official forums collection on different builds, with all their jargon about which combos do what and how late game viable they are. My build is based off one of those, but I think Agent has done it enough he's just winging it.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I find it disappointing that you recommend the GD forums over our very fine grim dawn thread in games and our very fine grim dawn discord. We maybe less descriptive about the builds we make...

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

ssmagus posted:

I find it disappointing that you recommend the GD forums over our very fine grim dawn thread in games and our very fine grim dawn discord. We maybe less descriptive about the builds we make...

If you wanna post the links to those things that might be helpful.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Here is our Grim Dawn thread in games

And here is the Grim Goon Discord

Click the links!

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
The special ability on Soiled Trousers is straight up called Throw Feces and is actually quite powerful for it's level requirement. The yellow bar on your health is called Constitution. Also, I'm bummed that you're not going over the lore notes, as the world building is actually really neat if you take the time to read them, but I get it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Here is an attempt at a lore post as suggested by Yapo. Mostly just footnotes to give you a better idea of the lore surrounding the game.

The first lore note you pick up, 'Harbormaster's Log - Lower Crossing', is found in the actual Harbormaster's building as seen here:

It mentions Malmouth right off the bat as a place where townsfolk are fleeing in droves, setting the stage for business much later on. If you walk along the west coast of Lower Crossing you will start seeing abandoned boats including one that you can click on....

The Aetherials Harmond sends you to kill(~7:00 in the Devil's Crossing video), Jilius, Neegan, and Farros, were all former members of the 'empire' now corrupted with Aetherial energy. Sybil Hart sends you off to search for her brother Milton who was also a soldier in the Imperial Army. We will find out more about the fate of this 'empire' later. But so far it seems nothing good happened to them. Milton's note explains how he shacked up in abandoned buildings to avoid the dead, and considering where you find Jilius and Farros, it seems they had the same plan. He also mentions that someone or something might be directing the dead as he witnessed them dig out the river to flood the roads. Also, I feel I must correct the narrator. You only need to do the Burial Hill quest to unlock the prison. Helping Kasparov with his crystals and Barnabas with the water sends you on your way to Burrwitch.

The Crudely Drawn Note you pick up in the jail makes mention of a certain warden in black armor who is moving people in and out of the prison never to be seen again. Where is he taking them?

The Bloodbound Missive is our fist introduction to the aetherial rival Cult of Ch'thon and their plans to secure Wightmire and take over Devil's Crossing as a base of operations. It mentions that to summon a Harbinger you will need the blood of three men. As seen in this picture here, they followed their orders quite nicely.

Close to the cellar where we meet Isaac is this hitch wagon filled with coffins. Could this be a connection to the warden?

Part 2--

The Burritch Recon Report is from the scouts that John Bourbon mentioned before sending you there himself. It seems they are largely concentrated here as if they are protecting something.

At ~7:35 you meet the blacksmith Angrim. If you look closely you'll see a symbol that looks like a shield with a skull painted on it next to his name. This is the symbol for the Black Legion faction. Another member of the empire, scattered and lost.

The Gildam Arcanum notes give lore to certain Arcanist skills. Page 2 directly references Maiven herself who is responsible for Maiven's Sphere of Protection, a defensive skill that forms a bubble around you granting you damage reduction, but in return lowers your damage as well. It can also be improved to reduce stun, freeze, and petrify duration.

Inquisitor Creed is actually a pretty important character to the story and we will be meeting him in the third act. As you have skipped his first two entries, here they are along with the third and fourth.

We have spent the game basically retracing his steps. It is in the third entry that we find out that he came into contact with this mysterious Warden Krieg and investigated him, but could find no evidence of wrongdoing. The fourth entry confirms suspicions about the wagons strewn about the landscape.

The final note all but confirms Warden Krieg being under the control of another entity, and is merely being used as a tool for a means to prepare for the 'Glorious Dawn'.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I've been dumping all my points into certain skills and it's really good for certain parts but poo poo awful for others. Maybe I should try diversifying more. Or maybe I should just keep on keepin on and let the skeleton army carry my through the game.
What I'm using is Callidor's Tempest, Albrecht's Aether Ray, Canister Bomb and Devastation for offensive skills. All are fire based and three of them are aether based as well. Callidor's Tempest is multi target while Albrecht's Aether Ray is single target. The other two skills are cooldown skills, meaning I just use them once and then go back to my spam skills so they take very little time of my spamming. Finally, all four skills are such that they either have no modifier of the modifier is really weak (for this build at least) and I lose very little by not spending skill points in them.

This sort of diversifying only works with some skills. The skills need to be such that you only need to max out the skills themselves, you can either skip the modifier or the modifier is a one point wonder (Blade Arc). Other skills, like Dreeg's Evil Eye, don't allow this sort of play, you will need to pump 37 points into it (max out the whole tree except Terrifying Gaze which you can treat as a one point wonder). You also can't pick incompatible skills, Callidor's Tempest and Trozan's Sky Shard would leave you with four different damage types to boost. I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but I'm getting the feeling you're playing a character with one strong option that will be used as offense and the rest of the skills will either support that skill or they will serve as crowd control or other utilities, some probably being one/few point wonders as well.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

This is a good and informative post! In honor of the only decent content in this thread, have a new video!

We finish up Act I and get to go meet some more friendly Rovers. I also do some bad things.

Crystalgate posted:

What I'm using is Callidor's Tempest, Albrecht's Aether Ray, Canister Bomb and Devastation for offensive skills. All are fire based and three of them are aether based as well. Callidor's Tempest is multi target while Albrecht's Aether Ray is single target. The other two skills are cooldown skills, meaning I just use them once and then go back to my spam skills so they take very little time of my spamming. Finally, all four skills are such that they either have no modifier of the modifier is really weak (for this build at least) and I lose very little by not spending skill points in them.

This sort of diversifying only works with some skills. The skills need to be such that you only need to max out the skills themselves, you can either skip the modifier or the modifier is a one point wonder (Blade Arc). Other skills, like Dreeg's Evil Eye, don't allow this sort of play, you will need to pump 37 points into it (max out the whole tree except Terrifying Gaze which you can treat as a one point wonder). You also can't pick incompatible skills, Callidor's Tempest and Trozan's Sky Shard would leave you with four different damage types to boost. I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but I'm getting the feeling you're playing a character with one strong option that will be used as offense and the rest of the skills will either support that skill or they will serve as crowd control or other utilities, some probably being one/few point wonders as well.

I popped on over to the Discord channel and everyone there made fun of me and my build, and then decided they would actually give me some pretty decent advice so I think I'm gonna try a few things they suggested. Thanks though!

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Blackmage Yapo posted:

We finish up Act I and get to go meet some more friendly Rovers. I also do some bad things.

Yapo, you delicious monster :allears:.
Can we make sure, that you do all quest resolutions in the future, too? If this continues, even the eldritch horrors might start to like you and think you are on their side.

(Okay awful taunting aside, i am impressed, that they included these detailed alternate quest resolutions in an ARPG.)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
You can be a real rear end in a top hat in this game and most of the time it just works against you. But you can still do it.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

OutofSight posted:

Yapo, you delicious monster :allears:.
Can we make sure, that you do all quest resolutions in the future, too? If this continues, even the eldritch horrors might start to like you and think you are on their side.

(Okay awful taunting aside, i am impressed, that they included these detailed alternate quest resolutions in an ARPG.)

Pretty sure since I'm triggering all the quests I'm going to keep resolving them. Not sure how long I can keep batting 1000 on the awful decisions but I'll endeavor to keep it there.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
A lot of the options that have bad outcomes aren't really rear end in a top hat options. Killing Silas seems reasonable. You kill him and then scatter Cronley's gang and problem is solved. Of course, it doesn't work out well. The bad outcomes also usually don't have a significant game mechanical effect.

Anyway, not giving the rovers back the talisman is actually useful for a character with energy struggles. You get a relic that has a cooldown ability which refills a significant portion of your energy. This will only matter early on though. Still, sometimes the game rewards you for being an rear end in a top hat.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

We continue on through Act II, keep murderin' them bandits and also some spooky skeletons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yapo, why do you hate the people of this world and always pick the bad quest results? Could you tell the people a little bit about why you're a horrible monster.

• Locked thread