Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Agent355 posted:

Yapo, why do you hate the people of this world and always pick the bad quest results? Could you tell the people a little bit about why you're a horrible monster.

Life is suffering and the sooner these indentured servants in this post apocalyptic hell hole learn that the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That's a bit of a harsh call on children, duder.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I always wondered what those cages were doing there. Also congrats on making those kids orphans. Here's 1500 exp.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Who exactly is the female character, who shows up in all of "Ashes of Malmouth" promotional material and is used in videos 1 & 2 as a teaser image? Generic artwork or some important quest char in the dlc storyline?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Eye candy. I can't tell for sure that she's not an actual NPC, but she is definitely not a character important enough to justify her presence there.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Blackmage Yapo posted:

We continue on through Act II, keep murderin' them bandits and also some spooky skeletons!

The 'secret entrance' you mention just before you hit Cronley's Hideout, I think has at least 1, usually 2 Ornate Chests, so if you're flush on Dynamite it can be worth spinning the loot roulette wheel.
Also, the change to the layout of Act 2 was because it was possible to entirely bypass the Arkovian Undercity in the original design of the act. I think they redesigned it so that you couldn't miss quests - you can't hit up Steps of Torment until you complete the 'Old Scars' quest (where you kill the Tyrants).

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh hey, Grim Dawn.

Grim Dawn is actually the only thing I've ever considered contributing to a Kickstarter for, because Titan Quest is still my favourite game of its type. I was all set to do it, but then it turned out that Kickstarter don't/didn't accept paypal, so I couldn't.

I did eventually get the game when it was in Early Access though. I think they had the first two acts finished when I played it? I haven't been back to it yet because I was a little disappointed, to be honest. Maybe I should have waited until it was finished, like I'd been trying to... but the wait had been years-long already at that point.

I'm not sure why I didn't like it as much as Titan Quest... I certainly appreciated all the little quality of life improvements Grim Dawn made. Maybe I'm just not as into ARPGs anymore. Maybe it's the setting, too; I did find Grim Dawn's environments to be a little muddy and uninteresting. I really liked the environments in Titan Quest, and the amazing use of colour across the game, without being garish!

I will get back to Grim Dawn at some point, now that it's finished. I mean it's sitting there installed on my computer. Maybe I'll wait until the expansion goes down in price a bit and then play it after getting that.

Speaking of expansions, Titan Quest getting a new one out of nowhere was pretty wild. I'll have to give that a go sometime too. The screenshots on its Steam page are surprisingly uninspiring, though.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
About the redesign, originally you could skip both Warder Krieg and Darius Cronley (as well as Arcovian Undercity as has been mentioned). You could just get the scraps for fixing the bridge and then head to Homestead. Now however, Cronley is standing in the only path forward and is therefore impossible to skip. I don't know what happens if you ignore the warden though. Personally, I think the old design was superior. If the player wants to go "screw Devil's Crossing" and go right to Homestead, let them. I guess there is the issue of someone accidentally running past Cronley.

Anyway, another issue I have is that I feel the bandits are a downgrade. Act 1 has you fight trough a zombie horde and finally confronting a powerful otherworldly foe raising a whole army of mindless slaves while act 2 has you fight bandits. Even with the whole ascended bandits business, the bandits come off as less impressive than a zombie horde and Cronley seems even more pathetic when compared to the warden. It's as if Diablo 2 would have had you fight a prime evil in one act and then a lesser evil in a later act.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's even weirder because the bandits are only the first half of act 2, the boss of smuggler's pass is techincally the act boss.

It's very oddly paced but at the same time I think the diablo 2 style of 'every act is it's own contained plot arc with a boss' is super old hat and kinda lovely as well. So I guess this is just a weird alternative.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The game doesn't really have an act structure. Originally, the developers didn't even intend to call the different segments acts. It's just that the players kept calling things acts and eventually the developers did as well. Even so, the game isn't designed to have specific acts. While the Warden forms a natural end of act 1, what is usually called the end of act 2 is very arbitrary and based primarily on where the beta ended at some point of time. There also will be no further natural points to call the end of an act until we hit the expansion.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Crystalgate posted:

Anyway, another issue I have is that I feel the bandits are a downgrade. Act 1 has you fight trough a zombie horde and finally confronting a powerful otherworldly foe raising a whole army of mindless slaves while act 2 has you fight bandits. Even with the whole ascended bandits business, the bandits come off as less impressive than a zombie horde and Cronley seems even more pathetic when compared to the warden. It's as if Diablo 2 would have had you fight a prime evil in one act and then a lesser evil in a later act.

I always figured that was on purpose. The people in Devil's Crossing talk him up a lot of course, but compared to what the Aetherials are capable of he's really small potatoes. The only reason why he doesn't crumble like wet paper to you is because they juiced him up, and the Warden is certainly the harder fight of the two.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yapo, you gotta set an item pickup key binding to get those items obscured by objects or terrain. I tend to find it faster than clicking each item anyway, but YMMV. You guys going to have guests on elite difficulty again?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Lore Post for part 3.

After walking through the maze that is the Cellar and Underground Transit (that both narrator and Inquisitor Creed mentions himself) we come to a cell with a seal placed in it. From the notes we find out that he sneaked through Krieg's manor to find a room full of dead cadavers that looked as if they were experimented on

, and then after underestimating Krieg and his abilities, was overpowered and placed in the cell. If the condition of the bars on the cell are any indication, it seems that Krieg underestimated Creed as well.

We are introduced to Gethrand via scattered notes and we find out he has been lied to about the circumstances in which he receives the corpses for experimentation. Naturally he starts to feel guilty and decides to end his life. What a shame it would be if he returned as one of the very monsters he helped create.

In the early days of Grim Dawn's development, Warden Krieg was the end boss of the first serious build they offered on Steam, and the level cap was 25. As we saw in the video he has two stages, and in the second stage his character model grew much bigger, much like the skill Colossus Form in Titan Quest. With the introduction of the Occultist class, the skill Possession did the same, but unfortunately, and inexplicably (I've still never heard an answer) this was taken away with the introduction of Exclusive Skills.

In an anomaly, Yapo actually manages to save a man from burning down his house with his wife and child trapped inside. The area this happens in is called Kymon's Retreat. Depending on a pretty major decision a little later in the game, we might run into that name again.

Kymon's Scripture: First Passage

Kymon posted:

They mocked us and drove us out. They called us heretics and madmen. They thought our great prophecy and purpose was fanciful and ridiculous.

Woe unto them! Behold the divine wrath that has been delivered onto the unbelievers in the remaking of the world! Our prophecy has come to pass and I hear not laughter anymore. I hear only deathly silence!

Doom has befallen the wicked, the ignorant and the indolent. Only we chosen few, who have trained and prepared our bodies and our souls to weather the cleansing of the world will survive and thrive amongst this death and decay.

Look to your right and to your left, in front and behind you. You see the faces of your hallowed brothers and sisters, bonded together in this holy quest. We have been tasked with the sacred duty to extinguish the last remnants of corruption and reseed the purified land with our progeny so that the new dawn can arise! Take strength in each other and in the knowledge that we are destined to fulfill this divine purpose.

Long have we prepared for this moment and our time of concealment is ending. We will strike forth, boldly Northward and to our destiny. Let not the faithless, the corrupted or the demonic stand in our path, lest our divine wrath be visited upon them!. Now muster my children, gather only those belongings that can profit us in our holy war and let us march forth from this humble refuge unto our destiny!

Great! Another cult. Except this time with less murdering people for their blood to summon demons.

While it is still a complete dick move to kill Isaiah Reddan, it's not nearly as bad as when he used to sell Dynamite. For 800 gold a piece. It got to be a bit of a balance problem and was patched out to the chagrin of players everywhere.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah he was my main dynamite dealer until that was patched, luckily when we get to homestead in video 5 or w/e we'll find another way to get our dynamite.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Part 4 lore post.

Boris, Master of the Pit is a boss that drops a Monster Infrequent that is good for dual-wielding Blademasters (Soldier + Nightblade) or Warders (Soldier + Shaman) which gives lots of blood damage and provides a bonus to Blade Arc. "The outlaws inhabiting the Four Hills in Old Arkovia have a favorite past-time: throwing unarmed prisoners into their pit to face off against Boris." - From the Bounty Table quest text.

"Madman" Wilcox is one of Cronley's lieutenants that escaped the prison in Devil's Crossing, and if you're not playing an easy-mode summoner *ahem* is actually a pretty difficult boss to take down. His charge stuns you and if he gets too low on health he will cast Blade Barrier which heals him and deflects 15% of your damage back at you. Cronley has 7 other lieutenants that can be found in the area all with equally silly nicknames: a Blademaster named Silas "The Skinner", Dravko "The Torch" a Commando that uses Cannister Bomb, Sleyvak "The Breaker" who uses baby's first Cadence build, "Boomer" Slocum a Commando that uses Flashbang and Cannister Bomb, Ashe "The Wall" Farrell a sword and board Soldier, "Moneybags" Martin who you disposed of for the Rovers, and Halion "The Rat" a particularly nasty Witch Hunter (Nightblad + Occultist) that spawns a pet Razorback and shoots poison at you.

Annals of Arkovia
This is the first bit of lore that deals with the mighty Mogdrogen and how the Rovers began. Spurred by a weary traveler named Mogdrogen who talked of a world ending prophecy, the once King of Arkovia abandoned all his titles to walk the earth and live in poverty, nameless. To the surprise of many, he gathered a loyal following who walked with him. With the royal courts in disarray, a royal elite named Laudos Vagra called for the formation of an Ogliarcy. When you turn the Annals of Arkovia into Amkala, she gives you a brief history of the fall of Arkovia.

Cronley's Notes explain how he killed two Aetherial envoys and sent their heads back on spikes, and when the same two envoys approached him again they offered him an army of aetherials and a place in the grand design of their plan in exchange for bending the knee and getting a crystal implanted into him. The second note makes mention of the town of Homestead and a resistance lead by a group that calls themselves The Black Legion...

Balvoruuk, the man you run into after defeating Cronley is not a Rover. He's a necromancer from the Order of Death's Vigil. He tasks you with entering the Arkovian Undercity to dispatch three ogliarchs, one who is named Laudos Vagra...

The boss at the end is Grand Priest Zarthuzellan. Tired of the time being wasted torturing the secret of immortality out of Oroboruuk, he decides to descend into the dungeon to try and take matters into his own hands. (It doesn't work.)

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Crystalgate posted:

About the redesign, originally you could skip both Warder Krieg and Darius Cronley (as well as Arcovian Undercity as has been mentioned). You could just get the scraps for fixing the bridge and then head to Homestead. Now however, Cronley is standing in the only path forward and is therefore impossible to skip. I don't know what happens if you ignore the warden though. Personally, I think the old design was superior. If the player wants to go "screw Devil's Crossing" and go right to Homestead, let them. I guess there is the issue of someone accidentally running past Cronley.

Yeah this is super weird to me too. Like the bandits (and even your bog standard crypt, if we're being honest) seem a bit trite compared to all the cool mutated horror things you fight on your way to the warden. I mean it kinda seems like they put them in for the beta because they were easy and never bothered to reshuffle any of it to make more sense.

We murder a bunch more spooky skeletons and go monster hunting for some guys with ridiculous names.

Also sorry for the late update. My dog had surgery on Wednesday and she is basically an awful patient.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I hope your dog is doing better at least.

Had a glance at my old save, and found that the gun I played for the first 30 levels with was still in my stash, it was crazy how a 5% chance to confuse would just work drat near every time.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Yeah this is super weird to me too. Like the bandits (and even your bog standard crypt, if we're being honest) seem a bit trite compared to all the cool mutated horror things you fight on your way to the warden. I mean it kinda seems like they put them in for the beta because they were easy and never bothered to reshuffle any of it to make more sense.

I assume it's just to reinforce the Grim part of the game's name: the world's collapsed, horrible mutated monsters are everywhere and the bandits are still being assholes.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

kingturnip posted:

I assume it's just to reinforce the Grim part of the game's name: the world's collapsed, horrible mutated monsters are everywhere and the bandits are still being assholes.

You ain't seen Grim yet

We finally make it to another proper town! Then we of course promptly leave again to murder a bunch of unspeakable horror monsters.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

We pick sides and help out the people of Homestead. Maybe more accurately "help", but you know.

And I know there are some weird audio issues with some static but it turns out that the original recording is messed up! I think after however many writes of huge files from FRAPS my hard drive is getting a bit funky, gonna see if I can shuffle everything around before I record again and get it to be less awful.

Edit: apparently the audio is more awful than I realized, I'll put a new version up tonight

Blackmage Yapo fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 25, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yapo my man that is like unwatchably bad static, surely we could've done something?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Agent355 posted:

Yapo my man that is like unwatchably bad static, surely we could've done something?

Apparently the spots I checked were the good spots. I'll upload a new version just without game audio tonight.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Blackmage Yapo posted:

And I know there are some weird audio issues with some static but it turns out that the original recording is messed up! I think after however many writes of huge files from FRAPS my hard drive is getting a bit funky, gonna see if I can shuffle everything around before I record again and get it to be less awful.

It's those Aetherials trying to phone Yapo a job offer and the hard drive is consumed by their sparkly eldritch geometries. :unsmigghh:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Blackmage Yapo posted:

We pick sides and help out the people of Homestead. Maybe more accurately "help", but you know.

Edit: apparently the audio is more awful than I realized, I'll put a new version up tonight

Okay, so I don't have time to play around with the game audio and get it to cooperate so you all get a version that's just us talking! I'll see if I can work some editing magic for part 8 but for now a not-awful version is going up on YouTube, links have been replaced.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm fairly sure you can put purple items in the Shared Stash, as I have a whole page of mine just for them.
The only ones that can't be shared have 'Quest Item' under the name.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Everyone who plays this game enough knows that the worse enemy in this game is stairs, follow closely by green glowing floors.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Wait, no. It's not stairs I'm thinking of, it's ramps. Small corridors with elevation.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
For me it's fast moving enemies who cannot be crowd controlled. But yeah, it's always annoying and often dangerous when my Canister Bomb goes of somewhere else than where I aimed because the game isn't good at handling elevation.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's really not. I like the expansion content mostly but there are some problems I have with it and 'too many stairs and tiny houses' is definitely one of em.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Sorry for no updates. Both of my primary hard drives have started making really funky noises and I'm a bit afraid to do much else with them until I get them copied over.

Should pick back up with a normal schedule next week.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You've got jaids. Rip.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Got my new SSD in, only took like for god drat ever to find a program that would clone a 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD, but it all seems to be working now at least.

We go on totally not the Great Wall and find a new group of dudes who seem pretty chill.

Also turns out in my hard drive mitigation I misplaced the original recording we had of commentary so I couldn't do a completely clean version. I've tried to clear up the static as best I could but it's still there and I appologize.

That being said I've got my new hard drives in, a dedicated drive for only recordings to go, and already run one test that came out perfect so expect more videos soon!

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Definitely sounds better! I never knew about that hidden path quest, so I went back and did it, but totally missed the conversation at the end with the rock thing.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Hopefully smooth sailing and mostly back on schedule from here on out.

We take a big tour though a whole bunch of monsters and end up in a creepy necropolis.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
26 available points! YAPOOOOOOO! :argh:

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

26 available points! YAPOOOOOOO! :argh:

The best part about trolling you guys is that I don't even have to try to do it! It all just comes naturally.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Yapo's real LP skills: Trolling us with Unspent points and GFI's into end zones.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I know I should be expecting it by now but COME ONNNNNNN

Still enjoying the LP btw.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I enjoy watching/listening to your LPs as I work on cross-stitch. Thanks for making them!

I also enjoy playing Grim Dawn -- are you inviting guests once you hit Elite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

We spend basically the whole time helping out Anasteria and her cool skeleton bro.

• Locked thread