Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

huh I didn't know that. I suppose that's the literary equivalent of george lucas adding in special effects to update his movies. Someone thought "you know what this needs? a lovely lot of alliteration".

regardless its a blast to read aloud, middle english feels like this weird welsh/german amalgamation

e: and when I say feels I mean the way the words form in your mouth

mbt fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I just read through the facing page Armitage version, and I'd definitely say it is worth it to at least skim through the untranslated side on each page. Some of the translation seems pretty different from what was intended. Mentally picturing a manly knight saying "fiddlesticks" is pretty funny though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The green knight was just loving with him

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

The green knight was just loving with him

Arthur would have totally hosed Greenwife and gotten his headchopped for it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Arthur would have totally hosed Greenwife and gotten his headchopped for it

King Arthur and the Green Cuck

Like, that's almost not even a joke, the whole "ok I'm gonna go hunting, you stay here with my hot wife, when I get back let's make out" thing is just bizarre

And I doubt contemporary audiences would have missed that either: I could be wrong but I suspect that was not an era for casually leaving women alone with strange men

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

quote:

Fro şe swyre to şe swange so sware and so şik,

Thikk. Middle English. Who knew

Does anyone have a link to a good ME dictionary? The one thing I'm finding confusing is all the different words for man and knight—I mean I'm assuming the choice of different words were mainly for alliteration, but I don't know if there's differences in connotations for each choice as well and would like to find out.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

King Arthur and the Green Cuck

Like, that's almost not even a joke, the whole "ok I'm gonna go hunting, you stay here with my hot wife, when I get back let's make out" thing is just bizarre

And I doubt contemporary audiences would have missed that either: I could be wrong but I suspect that was not an era for casually leaving women alone with strange men

Maybe the green knight is actually gay and was hoping that Gawain had actually slept with his wife so that he could get some saintly knight action when he came back from hunting? Another thought, is if that is the reason why Gawain DIDN'T sleep with greenwife, because he would have had to do the same with green dude. Gawain seems like the kind of dude that tries pretty hard not to break agreements...

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Stuporstar posted:

Thikk. Middle English. Who knew

Does anyone have a link to a good ME dictionary? The one thing I'm finding confusing is all the different words for man and knight—I mean I'm assuming the choice of different words were mainly for alliteration, but I don't know if there's differences in connotations for each choice as well and would like to find out.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/lookup.html

Make sure you have headword and forms selected on the left of the search bar, and make sure to use as many of those wildcard characters because they have weird conventions for ordering the stuff

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the middle english dictionary infamously blows. use wiktionary. i'm not kidding. i'm a medievalist phd student and the only time i ever use the MED is when i need to cite it.

leaving a strange dude at home with your wife (leading to sexual tension) while you and your retinue go out to hunt/tourney is actually a minor trope in medieval lit. id have to look through my comps notes to list all the works in which it crops but its the inciting incident in the stanzaic morte arthur, where arthur leaves lancelot and guinevere alone together while he goes off to joust. the SMA is, helpfully] [url=http://d.lib.rochester.edu/teams/text/benson-and-foster-king-arthurs-death-stanzaic-morte-arthur-part-i=available on the rochester METS website[/url]. it's not as good as the alliterative morte arthure, though, which owns (but which, unfortunately, i wrote my master's thesis on and therefore never, ever want to read again)

youre missing the real joke, though. its not "ok I'm gonna go hunting, you stay here with my hot wife, when I get back let's make out". its that if gawain hosed his host's wife then, by the terms of their agreement, he'd have to gently caress bertilak.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 15, 2017

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Worth considering that a huge, huge part of Gawain's character is that he fucks near-constantly, while also being extremely gracious to women (there's a couple of variants on this - he either accidentally gets a woman killed or is under oath to be nice to ladies), which all plays into the text's deconstruction of his nature, and the uncanny understanding that the castle's inhabitants have of the same.

There's a lovely bit in Malory where some knight is in hopeless love with this maiden, who keeps having him beaten up by her men. Gawain offers to help him out, takes his armour to pretend he's killed the knight, says he'll start changing her mind about the guy. He gets to her castle and pretty much immediately gives up on the idea, spends the next week in bed with her.

the chad gawain/ the virgin kay

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

youre missing the real joke, though. its not "ok I'm gonna go hunting, you stay here with my hot wife, when I get back let's make out". its that if gawain hosed his host's wife then, by the terms of their agreement, he'd have to gently caress bertilak.

Sure, but the thing to wonder is if Bertilak knew that was going to be a distinct possibility since Gawain is super famous and that

VileLL posted:

a huge, huge part of Gawain's character is that he fucks near-constantly,

It is also implied that this isn't the first time that the green knight has done this to someone right? What I'm saying is that Bertilak wants some knight action real bad around christmas time.
"Whoa-ho, haha, you did my wife but you better live up to that agreement as a "joke" haha isn't this so funny"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hope everyone is still enjoying this but it's time to start gathering suggestions for next month!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

finished it in both modern english and a reread in middle english. Amazing story, a+ pick all around.

I can't help but me sad when thinking of how much other literature has been lost to time. Thanks to the rich dude who preserved this for centuries.

Hope everyone is still enjoying this but it's time to start gathering suggestions for next month!

confederacy of dunces? I'm mostly suggesting that because it's next on my list :shobon:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
du maurier's rebecca

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I can't help but me sad when thinking of how much other literature has been lost to time

time, and also the cotton library fire

hmu if you want more medieval lit. if you can read & enjoy SGGK in its middle english you can read anything.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 21, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Investigations of a dog by kafka

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think I'll just throw this one out there every time, As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

du maurier's rebecca

Because of the new PT Anderson flick?

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.
I love Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and I love Better Myths, but the only Better Myths story I didn't like much was Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Apparently it was based on Arthur Rex by Thomas Berger, which I hadn't heard of until now.

leaving a strange dude at home with your wife (leading to sexual tension) while you and your retinue go out to hunt/tourney is actually a minor trope in medieval lit.

Would the beginning of the first branch of the Mabinogi count?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Fedelm posted:

Would the beginning of the first branch of the Mabinogi count?

absolutely

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There's a genuinely brilliant but little-known modernization of the Mabinogion written by Evangeline Walton that deserves a lot more attention than it has gotten.

https://www.amazon.com/Mabinogion-Tetralogy-Evangeline-Walton/dp/1585675040

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Chapel Road by LP Boon!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Man with the Compound Eyes by Wu Ming-Yi. I'll add more when I get home.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Njal's Saga!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ovenboy posted:

Njal's Saga!

That’s a good and quite readable one.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Groke posted:

That’s a good and quite readable one.

I haven't read it in English, so I might just do that. Do you have a preferred translation?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sorry, have only read it in modern Norwegian.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the penguin classics translation is fine. even the wordsworth classics one is ok.

grettirs saga is better tho

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

the penguin classics translation is fine. even the wordsworth classics one is ok.

grettirs saga is better tho

Grettir's owns too, but it probably was a decade ago that I read it, don't remember much. He got ptsd from fighting a ghoul though, I think?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
These are all good suggestions (I think I've actually pushed Njal's Saga in a poll before now, it didn't get chosen) but I'm a little leery of going Double Ancient Text two months in a row -- it'd probably be good for the next book to be something written in the past century or so.

It's also a big help if people give me a sentence or two explaining why their pick is a good idea because while I've read almost everything that's a free english-language kindle download I haven't read everything else and a little background helps me sell your pick to everyone else.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As I Lay dying is a novella by Faulkner, so it delivers all the prose and pathos that makes him one of the great American writers, and the master of Southern Gothic, in a manageable package that won't have us racing to beat the calendar.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Investigations of a Dog is good, it's about a dog, and it's funny.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It'll be Njal's Saga for January; starting the new with the old.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/WarrenIsDead/status/377186543720349696

i dont know how to embed a tweet

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Can you honestly call it a feast unless a head or two gets knocked off?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
"Ah, that was exactly the kind of entertainment I needed before I could eat, because I made myself a dumb rule about not eating until I had been adequately entertained. Oh, but too bad about your future decapitated, nephew. Have some wine, or beer, or both!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Arthur's not wrong

Plus he's got a bad track record with the nephews anyway

• Locked thread