Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
https://twitter.com/JurassicWorld/status/937481581391949824

Sounds like we're getting a for real trailer Thursday during whatever lovely NFL game is on.

I really liked the first Jurassic World even while I know I shouldn't. I've never loved The Lost World, so I feel OK about putting Jurassic World second in the franchise.

Anyway as it stands we have no idea what the storyline is, though it appears that maybe some disaster is befalling the island so SURPRISE the stars of the first movie along with probably a new sidekick head back there to ... I dunno. It will probably make very little sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It will be better than Jurassic World because Colin Trevorrow is not directing this time.

And here's hoping the loving dinosaurs look better this time around, too.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The definitive Jurassic Park movie ranking is in order of release. The Lost World and JP3 weren't bad movies at all. But Jurassic World was barely even a movie. Though I do have a soft spot for Blue. And the dinosaurs looked fine.

Hopefully I've managed to piss off mostly everybody.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

viral spiral posted:

It will be better than Jurassic World because Colin Trevorrow is not directing this time.

And here's hoping the loving dinosaurs look better this time around, too.

That would require practical effects like the Rex head and Raptor upper bodies from the first JP.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Which dinosaur is gonna be the main boss in this movie?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

935 posted:

I'm hoping we get more genespliced freakasauruses.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well, at least it would be hard to make a movie worse than Jurassic World, right... right?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Dr Wu makes a new dinosaur with mind control powers and only Indominus Rex can defeat it... but can she learn to work together with the raptors and the T-Rex??

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jeff Goldblum is gonna be in it and that's all I really care about.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

man nurse posted:

Jeff Goldblum is gonna be in it and that's all I really care about.

I think Goldblum himself said he's in the movie for like five minutes.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He places a call to an off-screen Laura Dern, asking if she still has the Navy and Marines' direct line in her notebook.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Jurassic World's problem was that everything was too crisp and clean, even after the dinosaurs broke out. Because they spent a bajillion dollars on the CGI dinosaurs they had to make sure that everything was framed well and the there was plenty of time to show off the dinosaurs, but the reason Jurassic Park worked so well was because the people were the focus of the story, and so the dinosaurs darted in and out of frame making them seem like they were actually fast and dangerous.

It also didn't help that I saw Fury Road on a huge screen when it came out a few weeks earlier. And I think that really thrashed peoples brains when it came to watching action movies in the theater - it was hard to go back to the crystal-clear precision of JW after you'd had your world rocked by the nasty, brutal Fury Road.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope they don't reference movies to sell soda's again.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

935 posted:

"Indoraptor"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

935 posted:

Jesse the sexual tyranosaurus ventura

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Getting eaten by a T. Rex would own

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Cnut the Great posted:

The definitive Jurassic Park movie ranking is in order of release. The Lost World and JP3 weren't bad movies at all. But Jurassic World was barely even a movie. Though I do have a soft spot for Blue. And the dinosaurs looked fine.

Hopefully I've managed to piss off mostly everybody.

There is nothing controversial in this post.

Also, "being eaten by T. rex," is like the coolest way to die according to everyone in my friend group, except me who just would rather not being eaten.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
Jurassic World is a far superior film to both The Lost World And Jurassic Park 3.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Top Gun posted:

Jurassic World is a far superior film to both The Lost World And Jurassic Park 3.

Pfffaahhaha

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jurassic World gets a lot of passes because it has some interesting ideas (Jurassic Park if it actually got up and running and then poo poo went wrong, genetically engineered super-dinosaurs) and executes them adequately, but doesn't otherwise elevate the material.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I'm glad they seem to have gone with the 'combine jurassic park with another genre' idea, in this case a volcano/disaster movie. What about the director, I think the Orphanage is pretty well regarded but what about his other stuff? I've seen nothing by him.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Syncopated posted:

I'm glad they seem to have gone with the 'combine jurassic park with another genre' idea, in this case a volcano/disaster movie. What about the director, I think the Orphanage is pretty well regarded but what about his other stuff? I've seen nothing by him.

I really like 'The Impossible', if only for the tsunami scene which is one of the most effective scenes I've seen in years and shows that at least he can work with effects pretty seamlessly and can shoot big set pieces. I haven't seen 'A monster calls' but it looks interesting at least. I have no hope for this after the first one, but I'll wait for the trailers to see what kind of visuals it has, or if it's another hollow and empty digital hellscape the first one was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
J.A. Bayona is a good director for sure. Just don't know about the followup to Jurassic World, which was shithouse.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I legit must be the only one who thinks Lost World is an underrated movie and the Alien 3 of Jurassic Park.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SirDrone posted:

I legit must be the only one who thinks Lost World is an underrated movie and the Alien 3 of Jurassic Park.

I agree, like Alien 3 Jurassic World is a much better movie if you just imagine it was a totally different movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SirDrone posted:

Depends on if you like wry straight laced satire/self parody or not (to be fair, most people weren't expecting that going in since the first movie was far more earnest in embracing its material).

JP3 was terrible though, and I actually prefer JW to it. JP3 has horrible pacing, attempts to be as earnest as the first film instead of being a film about sequels/films as TLW and JW attempted to do, and failed harder due to having weaker material to be "earnest" about. Also the direction was even weaker than JW which is worse coming off some of the great Spielberg scenes and shots in TLW as opposed to following up a more pedestrian movie like JP3.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most I remember hearing about The Lost World is that the cast basically do everything wrong and make everything worse.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Darko posted:

Depends on if you like wry straight laced satire/self parody or not (to be fair, most people weren't expecting that going in since the first movie was far more earnest in embracing its material).

JP3 was terrible though, and I actually prefer JW to it. JP3 has horrible pacing, attempts to be as earnest as the first film instead of being a film about sequels/films as TLW and JW attempted to do, and failed harder due to having weaker material to be "earnest" about. Also the direction was even weaker than JW which is worse coming off some of the great Spielberg scenes and shots in TLW as opposed to following up a more pedestrian movie like JP3.

Whatever else you can say about it, the direction for JP3 was absolutely not weaker than JW. That's crazy talk.

I don't think it's a great movie, but it's decent. Joe Johnston is a far, far better director than Colin Trevorrow.

e: And you can say JW was a film about sequels as much as you want but that doesn't make it good. I'll take earnest over meta any day.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 5, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

JP3 made the Spinosaurus seem small and not imposing at all. It front-loaded all of the deaths to the point where there was a huge chunk of no suspense for an entire third of the movie, where it led into a wet fizzle of a climax (it was hoping to sell the pteradons just existing as a fantastic moment - but their introduction, and what happened after was entirely flat). Things weren't funny, they weren't exciting; everything in the movie that happened landed with a wet fart, outside of the talking raptor in the plane.

I had a longer post breaking down the structure of the other movies, as compared (but have to go to a meeting so scrapped it), but they all at least had pacing that led to a climax that brought things to another level as compared to other movies, as opposed to fizzling out in the last third.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jurassic Park III is shockingly decent for its production troubles. They threw the script out 5 weeks before filming and improvised the entire movie around the previously storyboarded set pieces. The reason everything happened in the first act was that they compressed the entire hastily-written new draft into that first act and then winged the rest of it.

quote:

"There was no original script," [Joe Johnston] says flatly. "It's the one thing that almost made this a life-threatening ordeal for a lot of people. The second version of the script, which was completely scheduled and story-boarded and planned, we actually threw it out five weeks before we started shooting... The story we were getting ready to shoot was much more complicated; it was just too much, with all these tortured convolutions to get Grant back there."

Help arrived in the form of screenwriter David Koepp (co-screenwriter of the original Jurassic Park and sole screenwriter of The Lost World). Although, according to Johnston, the writer "never set pen to paper, we had several phone calls with him. And, God bless him, he came up with a better idea."

After generating a completely new take with Koepp's help, a small army of writers were hired to do the script; including the writing team of Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, who had already scored an Oscar nomination for their Election screenplay. "They wrote a complete draft," explains Johnston, "which, when reworked by Peter Buchman, basically became our first act." With a sigh of obvious frustration, the director admits that it's not the way to make a movie. "Sometimes we were writing the things that we were going to be shooting that afternoon. It's stupid. The only good thing about it is that it gives you the freedom to decide what you're going to do as you go along."

And yet it was still 10x the movie Jurassic World was.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

feedmyleg posted:

Jurassic Park III is shockingly decent for its production troubles. They threw the script out 5 weeks before filming and improvised the entire movie around the previously storyboarded set pieces. The reason everything happened in the first act was that they compressed the entire hastily-written new draft into that first act and then winged the rest of it.

And yet it was still 10x the movie Jurassic World was.

You are out of your mind.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Jurassic World is, all things considered, probably the worst movie ever made.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Always a conflicting moment when you opinions line up with SMG's, but that's just about the most sensible thing I've ever heard him say.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

What did people like about Jurassic World? I suppose on a base level watching dinosaurs eat people will always be cool but I think prefer Carnosaur to Jurassic World.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Jurassic World is, all things considered, probably the worst movie ever made.

Can you briefly explain why?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

my favorite part of world was the outrage that a woman was killed by a dinosaur or something

#notmyjurassicmovie

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

my favorite part of world was the outrage that a woman was killed by a dinosaur or something

#notmyjurassicmovie

It was just weirdly over the top and mean. I can't recall a more vicious death in any of the Jurassic Park movies and it's for an ancillary character. The villain of Jurassic World got it way easier than she did.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Isn't it more or less exactly what happened to Gennaro in the first movie?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

What did people like about Jurassic World? I suppose on a base level watching dinosaurs eat people will always be cool but I think prefer Carnosaur to Jurassic World.

A grand total of one (1) person is eaten by a dinosaur in Jurassic World. Offscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Isn't it more or less exactly what happened to Gennaro in the first movie?

I think that assistant(?) lady got it way worse than the lawyer in JP.

• Locked thread