Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

Something that gets majorly brushed away is the bit between Jake Johnson and Bryce Dallas-Howard where Johnson talks up having an original Jurassic Park shirt, and bemoans that the original park was “legit.” Like at face value its a poorly constructed gag, but it’s also the only time we get insight into what the public perception of the original Park was, and interestingly, even with all of the deaths that occurred, there appears to be a kind of morbid nostalgia for it, kind of like how people romanticize the sinking of the Titanic now. Like people willingly go to Jurassic World, even with the body count attached to the brand, because ultimately that matters more. The script to Jurassic World has a lot of interesting concepts about franchises and brands in general, but simply lacks the cinematic vocabulary (and perhaps interest) in expanding on them.

Only five people died in Jurassic Park, they actually had a better track record than Disneyland up until the Indominus incident. The Titanic had a bigger death rate than JP before it even hit the iceberg (heck, before it even left the shipyard). :v:

(16 people died in JP2 and 5 died in JP3 but they all happened over at Isla Sorna.)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I feel like “only five people died” needs an asterisk behind it, and that asterisk is “by dinosaur.” It may not be a high body count, but it certainly is a unique bodycount, which should carry its own weight.

“Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.”

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They discovered Utahraptor during post production of the movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

“Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.”

Technically that's correct, but it turns out that the Pirates of the Caribbean ride regularly eats parts of the tourists.
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/disneys-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ride-keeps-chopping-off-tourists-fingers-6550961
:v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Technically that's correct, but it turns out that the Pirates of the Caribbean ride regularly eats parts of the tourists.
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/disneys-pirates-of-the-caribbean-ride-keeps-chopping-off-tourists-fingers-6550961
:v:

What in god's name on that ride is doing that? Are people sticking their fingers in the ride mechanism itself?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

What in god's name on that ride is doing that? Are people sticking their fingers in the ride mechanism itself?

Going off my memory of the ride, it's a boat ride that's guided by repeatedly bumping into the canal that it's in. If you draped your arm over the side of the boat, you'd probably actually have pretty good odds of crushing your hand and/or fingers between the boat and the canal.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Steve2911 posted:

That Johnny Depp puppet ain’t gonna molest itself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

We all now know that velociraptor’s were much smaller than what was portrayed in that first film, and that they were covered in feathers. But those aren’t Jurassic Park’s raptors.

In JP3 I believe I remember reading that they couldn't make the feathers due to limitations with technology, so pulling them off 8 years earlier wouldn't have been a thing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Fart City posted:

I’d never heard that before, but it adds another wrinkle to the overall muddying of velociraptors in public perception if true. If I remember correctly raptors aren’t even that big of a factor in the original novel (outside of finding some eggs), so that would put that solely on the shoulders of the film.

Velociraptors are tiny fuckers irl

still terrifying but not quite as big

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Oh my goodness they're tiny murder chickens.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

They should make a sequel where they try to rebrand the attraction yet again using small feathered chicken dinos

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fart City posted:

I’d never heard that before, but it adds another wrinkle to the overall muddying of velociraptors in public perception if true. If I remember correctly raptors aren’t even that big of a factor in the original novel (outside of finding some eggs), so that would put that solely on the shoulders of the film.

Raptors were the final villains in the novel just like the movie. They were just smaller and were getting blown up by rocket launchers and stuff as the final stretch had weapons to be used against them. That's probably why Cameron said he read the novel and planned on making it into Aliens 2 before finding out Spielberg already bought it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't read Jurassic Park since middle school. I remember Grant injecting poison into raptor eggs and rolling them over to the raptors who ate them and then died...?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I would love to see an animated or comic book version of the original Jurassic Park adapted directly from the novel.

This guy started one though didn't get very far. (Though his artwork is pretty rad):

https://michaelcrichtonsjurassicpark.tumblr.com/

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Darko posted:

Raptors were the final villains in the novel just like the movie. They were just smaller and were getting blown up by rocket launchers and stuff as the final stretch had weapons to be used against them. That's probably why Cameron said he read the novel and planned on making it into Aliens 2 before finding out Spielberg already bought it.

They get even more setpieces in the book than the movie. Weren't the guest bedrooms covered with iron bars that the raptors were chewing through? Plus the whole nest mission that caps things off.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AdmiralViscen posted:

They get even more setpieces in the book than the movie. Weren't the guest bedrooms covered with iron bars that the raptors were chewing through? Plus the whole nest mission that caps things off.

Yeah, it's been ages since I've read the book--I mean, we're talking 20-plus years--but I remember 10-year-old me not having the first loving clue what on earth a "bungalow" was, asking my parents, then re-reading it and being terrified at the idea of raptors tearing rear end through a small house or cabin.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't read Jurassic Park since middle school. I remember Grant injecting poison into raptor eggs and rolling them over to the raptors who ate them and then died...?

It was some comically potent disease/virus or something he got while he was locked in one of the labs with the raptors. Think that stuff from The Rock but instead it's killing a dinosaur.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

For anyone that's read Jurassic Park recently, is the book even any good? I read it, but I'm also in the "it's been nearly 2 decades since doing so" camp so I don't remember it at all.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

s.i.r.e. posted:

For anyone that's read Jurassic Park recently, is the book even any good? I read it, but I'm also in the "it's been nearly 2 decades since doing so" camp so I don't remember it at all.

I’m actually in this camp as well. With everyone providing clarification on the raptors being more present than I remember, it’s pretty clear that a reread wouldn’t be a complete waste of time. I’m just worried it won’t have aged well.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I still enjoy the book, read it last year. There are a lot of things that didn't make it to the movie so the book will at least give you some new ideas to look at.
Things like Hammond as a cold businessman dragging around his pygmy elephant to shareholder meetings or Muldoon kicking a raptor in the face while stuck in a tube are fun.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Peanut President posted:

Velociraptors are tiny fuckers irl

still terrifying but not quite as big

If they're anything like their distant ancestors Swans then they're still very much something you should be afraid of.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If they're anything like their distant ancestors Swans then they're still very much something you should be afraid of.

You mean successor

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

more like a Cassowary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOPVVdg8noc

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Calaveron posted:

You mean successor

The swans are ancient. Eternal.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

The swans are ancient. Eternal.

No, swans are the endgame of terrible murder monster evolution

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Safeword posted:

Oh my goodness they're tiny murder chickens.

Manly Guys doing Manly Things

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Book Muldoon is great because he's literally drinking while trying to shoot the T-Rex.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bobjr posted:

Book Muldoon is great because he's literally drinking while trying to shoot the T-Rex.

And drunkenly taunting the raptors near a fence.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In the book Muldoon blows up one of the raptors with a rocket launcher, which makes you wonder why if inGen thought protecting their million-dollar dinos was so important they'd also commission weapons to destroy them in such a tantalizingly awesome way.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

In the book Muldoon blows up one of the raptors with a rocket launcher, which makes you wonder why if inGen thought protecting their million-dollar dinos was so important they'd also commission weapons to destroy them in such a tantalizingly awesome way.

The entire downfall of Jurassic Park hinges on not doing things because they are smart, but because they are rad. Having a rocket launcher constantly in reaching distance would simply be an extension of that philosophy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I believe that was part of Muldoon's private armory that he kept over Hammond's objections, insisting that they needed lethal defense measures if all else failed. Which, of course, it did.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If they went page for page with Nedry's death in the OG movie it would have been hard R for sure. I read that as a kid and I still remember those pages vividly decades later. Hardcore poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nedry’s death in the book was nuts, but all of them were pretty nuts from what I remember. Hammond’s death isn’t gory so much as it’s unnerving, with the compy neurotoxin taking hold and Hammond kinda taking a nap as one of them bites his nose off.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

McSpanky posted:

I believe that was part of Muldoon's private armory that he kept over Hammond's objections, insisting that they needed lethal defense measures if all else failed. Which, of course, it did.

“Alright Hammond, I’ll run security at your park. But I have a list of demands.”

“This just says ‘guns and cargo shorts.’”

“Cheers.”

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dieter kind of got Hammond's death in TLW, so we still got to see it, basically. Plus it had the escaped compys attacking kids, the waterfall scene from the novel, and fighting raptors in more open spaces and having to fend them off a bit more personally.

I guess 3 had pteradons and a river chase and, uh, the I Rex in JW stole the Carnotarus' schitck.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

If they went page for page with Nedry's death in the OG movie it would have been hard R for sure. I read that as a kid and I still remember those pages vividly decades later. Hardcore poo poo.

I read JP when I was ten for some kind of youth reading promotion with my local library and Pizza Hut, that poo poo messed me up. Nedry's movie death is essentially a pastiche of that and Ed Regis being stalked by the juvenile T. rex, which plays with him cat-and-mouse style and drags out the inevitable while he tries to escape in futile terror.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Darko posted:

the I Rex in JW stole the Carnotarus' schitck.

Man, the Carnotaur scene is my favorite part and I was so sad that they don't show up in any of the movies. I guess "IT CAN CAMOUFLAGE" is the best I'll get.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I ended up asking my dad to leave the movie after Dieter's death. That plus Eddie's death was waaaay too much for my 6 year old mind to handle.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Man, the Carnotaur scene is my favorite part and I was so sad that they don't show up in any of the movies. I guess "IT CAN CAMOUFLAGE" is the best I'll get.

They were in the Lost World gun game and were pretty cool in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Lost World arcade game was awesome but very frustrating because the gun controls often wouldn't calibrate properly.

• Locked thread