Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So Dr Wu Is evil for....reasons.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He was extracted in a black helicopter by shady operatives in the last film, right as things were going to poo poo. I think they said something to him about continuing his work.

e: I also want to say, I love that they are extending the ape-poo poo crazy to its logical conclusion of a mutant giant (but not too big) raptor that can sneak into houses and bedrooms without waking anyone up, like a child’s worst loving nightmare.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 19, 2018

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

s.i.r.e. posted:

lovely Resident Evil plot with dinosaurs

you mean Dino Crisis?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Syncopated posted:

So what's the deal with the new dinosaur? Intelligent, but can it become invisible as well?

I thought that was exactly what the I. Rex did though.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Nice to see this franchise further transitioning into Batshit insanity.

No seriously I’m into it I hope they go hogwild.

Honestly at this point just make a Turok film and call it Jurassic Park.

Peanut President posted:

you mean Dino Crisis?

I can't remember the plot of Dino Crisis, but if it was hybrid, lab created freak dinos then I guess so.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Well, yeah. His knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only outmatched by his zest for Kung Fu treachery.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

The new one looks just like a smaller iRex so sure, why not.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I hope they go all in on the theme and call it the iRex Nano or iRex Pocket.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

achillesforever6 posted:

One of favorite reactions to the Jurassic World trailers has been the rant from friend Dr. Matt Lamanna who is the curator of Paleontology at the Carnegie Museum who was doing a Q&A after a screening of JP for a 21 & over event at the museum. (lot of great not dumb drunk questions too). He was really upset that finally a Jurassic Park movie showcases one of his favorite dinosaurs, Carnotaurus, and it is immediately killed by the T. Rex; mainly because his goal in life as a paleontologist (other than going to the Bahariya Oasis to find another Spinosaurus specimen just like Stromer) has been trying to get the public interested in Southern Continent dinosaurs (which is why he's mostly goes on expeditions in Antarctica, Northern Africa, and Patagonia).

Anyway this movie is going to be poo poo and the only reason I'm glad these Jurassic World movies exist is that they were successful enough to get an upscaled Jurassic Park Operation Genesis made with Jeff Goldblum narration.

Yeah the new game looks awesome. This movie, not so much.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Something something camouflage and hiding its heat signature, I believe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Looks like poo poo, OP

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Bee posted:

I hope they go all in on the theme and call it the iRex Nano or iRex Pocket.

According to the merchandise, it’s called the Indoraptor.
If you want a good look at it, there are YouTube reviews of the toys already.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

Ahahaha, get hosed, Trevorrow.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah the new game looks awesome. This movie, not so much.
From the gameplay it looks like you can mess the dinosaur DNA to make them look different (basically skins) I hope there is a "realistic" version where you can give them feathers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

If you want a good look at it, there are YouTube reviews of the toys already.

I kinda like that name. Indominus Rex was a stupid and gimmicky name, but Indoraptor kinda sounds like a name a dinosaur species would actually have.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, yeah. His knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only outmatched by his zest for Kung Fu treachery.

:golfclap:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Wu as a morally-bankrupt scientist with a Bond villain lair for an office was pretty much the only thing in Jurassic World that worked for me. BD Wong is a loving treasure...I'd love to see a JP movie with him as a villain-protagonist, gleefully making nightmare creatures for the military before being murdered by some kind of Demoraptor.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

he was evil in the last movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

To be straight with you, Fiendish Dr. Wu is the only good thing about Jurassic World.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Franchise is starting to get a little weird, guys.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Island of Dr. Wu could have made for an interesting premise in the flights of your imagination, which are undoubtedly better written and composed than these megabad new Jurassic Park movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It was pretty thrilling when he shows up, and you go "sigh, I remember this guy", and then he starts acting like the biggest touchy rear end in a top hat in the world. Good flip.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I kinda like that name. Indominus Rex was a stupid and gimmicky name, but Indoraptor kinda sounds like a name a dinosaur species would actually have.

Yeah Utahraptor and Dakotaraptor are actual species so the name is the least of the problems.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Uncle Wemus posted:

Franchise is starting to get a little weird, guys.

Well it's about goddamn time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah Utahraptor and Dakotaraptor are actual species so the name is the least of the problems.
Paleontologists can be really uncreative sometimes.

Now Dracorex, that's a loving great name there

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

To be straight with you, Fiendish Dr. Wu is the only good thing about Jurassic World.

Yeah too bad all of army man's "I'm gonna use raptors to kill al qaeda" scenes weren't Wu scenes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You done hosed up several times.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This looks completely stupid, and hell, why not?

The original JP is one of the few Perfect Movies, don't try to ape that, just go nuts and have a good time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yeah too bad all of army man's "I'm gonna use raptors to kill al qaeda" scenes weren't Wu scenes.

There's at least like a half dozen totally redundant characters in JW.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i wonder who is buying the ankylosaurus. pretty tough pet to keep around

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The first movie was on the verge of becoming as insane as I wanted it to be, this one looks like it pulls it off. Very excited.

That's the same way I see it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AlternateAccount posted:

The original JP is one of the few Perfect Movies, don't try to ape that, just go nuts and have a good time.

The problem is precisely that they are aping JP.

Jurassic Park was about the attempt at recreating the prehistoric world - literally filling in the gaps in the fossil record with whatever seemed 'natural'.

Jurassic World is about the ease of creating movie monsters out of random bullshit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

achillesforever6 posted:

Paleontologists can be really uncreative sometimes.

Now Dracorex, that's a loving great name there

RIP Irritator challengeri

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
My favorite part of JW was realizing in the climactic scene that the little brother was supposed to be on the spectrum. The filmmakers had such a poor understanding of children that they thought "obsessed with dinosaurs" would scan as Asperger's Syndrome and not Every Little Kid in the World.

Edit: To be fair this might have been one several plot threads that ended up being weirdly edited around/intentionally elided for some reason?

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

porfiria posted:

My favorite part of JW was realizing in the climactic scene that the little brother was supposed to be on the spectrum. The filmmakers had such a poor understanding of children that they thought "obsessed with dinosaurs" would scan as Asperger's Syndrome and not Every Little Kid in the World.

Edit: To be fair this might have been one several plot threads that ended up being weirdly edited around/intentionally elided for some reason?

Wait, what? Are you serious?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

porfiria posted:

Judging by Book of Henry I don't think Colin knows what having Asperger's entails

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doublehex posted:

Wait, what? Are you serious?

Yep. Remember the opening scene, with the two eggs? They explain that the monster ate its sibling, which is a total non-sequitur in the final cut. It was once a metaphor.

The entire film originally centered around the rebellious older brother bullying the autistic younger brother - intentionally endangering him, in an effort to ‘toughen him up’.

Chris Pratt and Jessica Chastain were also originally far more antagonistic to eachother, so the film was to end with everyone resolving to stop being total assholes and come together as a surrogate family for the autistic kid.

These interpersonal conflicts were cut from the film, to make the characters more ‘likeable.’ Consequently, large chunks of the film make no narrative sense.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

AlternateAccount posted:

I just watched the new trailer and pretty much feel the same.

Disclaimer though, I didn't see JW but I do know some things about it. It just seemed like a bland blockbuster so I passed on it at the time.

This looks totally dumb and bonkers - and hey, I'm usually down for stuff like that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I am all about this meme and wow that's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Maybe I'm old or out of touch or something, but I don't get it. :saddowns:

• Locked thread