Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0b9e40tK8

Dark is Netflix's first German language program. Created by Swiss director Baran bo Odar, the series takes place in the small German town of Winden which is notable for having a nuclear power plant that's about to be closed down and not much else. I don't want to say too much about the show as it is very much a mystery series and part of the "fun" is the reveals but the story involves children being abducted and time travel.

I've watched the first three episodes and I'm really digging it. It is very good looking and the plot is engrossing. Also, my personal recommendation is to watch it in the original German as I found the English dub to be too distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0b9e40tK8

Dark is Netflix's first German language program. Created by Swiss director Baran bo Odar, the series takes place in the small German town of Winden which is notable for having a nuclear power plant that's about to be closed down and not much else. I don't want to say too much about the show as it is very much a mystery series and part of the "fun" is the reveals but the story involves children being abducted and time travel.

I've watched the first three episodes and I'm really digging it. It is very good looking and the plot is engrossing. Also, my personal recommendation is to watch it in the original German as I found the English dub to be too distracting.

Just watched all of it, I liked it. Bit slow at times, some the things I saw coming a mile away. his dad being Mikkel

Overall it is a good show, pretty cool from Netflix I must say.

Watch the German version, it is best.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Too many damm characters that I can't possibly give a poo poo about. Made it halfway through and gave up.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Just watched all of it, I liked it. Bit slow at times, some the things I saw coming a mile away. his dad being Mikkel

Overall it is a good show, pretty cool from Netflix I must say.

Watch the German version, it is best.

I was so loving sure the stranger was Mikkel so the dad reveal caught me by surprise. Mads being the dead kid was completely obvious though. Wonder what the stranger's deal is going to be eventually, just finished ep 6. Considering how much of an experienced time traveler he seems to be, I expect there to be some big reveals regarding that guy at some point.

I really like this series, I'm pretty much its target audience. Reminds me of this Swedish series called Jordskott, it had a similar aesthetic. There's this general sense of Wilden being a pretty hosed up place, and I think Jordskott had a similar vibe with its Swedish town.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I just finished episode 4 and I kind of feel like this probably would have been better served as a weekly series instead of just dropping it all at once.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Gildiss posted:

Too many damm characters that I can't possibly give a poo poo about. Made it halfway through and gave up.

Yeah, I can see this.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I was so loving sure the stranger was Mikkel so the dad reveal caught me by surprise. Mads being the dead kid was completely obvious though. Wonder what the stranger's deal is going to be eventually, just finished ep 6. Considering how much of an experienced time traveler he seems to be, I expect there to be some big reveals regarding that guy at some point.

I really like this series, I'm pretty much its target audience. Reminds me of this Swedish series called Jordskott, it had a similar aesthetic. There's this general sense of Wilden being a pretty hosed up place, and I think Jordskott had a similar vibe with its Swedish town.

I really like the idea of a complete area being weird. Like in Good Omens.

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.
is this watchable if your German is like 2nd grade at best?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Its got subtitles

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Ep 8: Jesus Christ Ulrich. Also I'm kind of wondering how they are going to finish this. Especially since the series has not really elaborated on the motives of Noah yet, although the Stranger talked a bit about the Anti-Christ before the scene cut to Noah in one of the discussions he had with the time travel professor. Guess Noah believes he is the Anti-Christ or something? Or that it's his destiny to stop the Anti-Christ? He's probably trying to find something specific with that hosed up machine he puts the kids in.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Agree that you should watch with subtitles if you can't follow the German. You're going to need to pay close attention to this show just to sort out all the characters so you might as well be reading the subtitles too. Also the trailer just kinda pisses away the suspense of the first couple episodes imo. I'm glad I went into it not having seen them because those first couple episodes were the high point of the series for me.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Do you have any more recommendations for other similar shows? I really dug it in terms of aesthetics and mood, the grim little town with all of its hosed up relationships and something pretty horrific going on. The constant raining, the forest,, and the music all did it for me.

The plot, not so much, as it swung from nebulous horror to sci-fi. It was reminding me of my least favorite parts of Lost towards the end.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I like when things are confusing and somewhat nebulous because then I can enjoy the ride and I’m not as disappointed by lovely conclusions.

I enjoyed this show.

Production, acting, cinematography, and soundtrack are among the best I’ve watched in a while.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Chomposaur posted:

Do you have any more recommendations for other similar shows? I really dug it in terms of aesthetics and mood, the grim little town with all of its hosed up relationships and something pretty horrific going on. The constant raining, the forest,, and the music all did it for me.

There unfortunately aren't too many of these kinds of series around, but I know there's one rather obscure one from Denmark at least: Riget or Kingdom, Riget being the original name and Kingdom being the series' international name apparantely. Its a series about a Danish hospital at the center of some supernatural happenings, and supposedly its quite good. I've never seen it because I have never found a way to legally watch it, despite trying my hardest. Though the last time I tried was several years ago, so maybe it is up somewhere, I just have no idea where. Maybe its on Shudder? I don't know since Shudder is unavailable in Finland.

For the non-supernatural, Wire in the Blood might fit? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_in_the_Blood Its a British police drama, kinda, about a cop and a psychologist hunting down serial killers. Its incredibly moody, and I quite enjoyed it - while the monsters in this one are all human, they are no less monsters for it. Your mileage may vary with this one, but it had this grim moody tone most of the time that I quite liked. It might be worth it to check out the first couple of episodes to figure out whether its your jam or not, each 90 minute episode (or 45 minute two-parter, depending on where you watch it) is its own self-contained story, but there are larger plotlines happening during each season as well if I remember correctly. Its been literally half a decade since I last saw an episode.

Also to elaborate a bit more on Jordskott: its the story of Eva Thörnblad, a Swedish police officer whose daughter went missing a few years ago returning to her childhood hometown Silverhjöd to handle the aftermath of her father's death. The town is pretty small, and it relies pretty heavily on a local factory that was owned by Eva's late father, a timber felling and processing business - and the plotlines in Dark revolving around the nuclear plant reminded me of Jordskott's equivalent. Around the time Eva returns to Silverhjöd a child goes mysteriously missing, a bit like what happened to her daughter, and the events escalate from there. Without spoiling anything, the supernatural in Jordskott is based on scandinavian folklore and it works pretty well with the gloomy aesthetic of northern woods - the first season is also a complete story with a beginning and an end, although they have made a second season that's currently airing in Sweden. Jordskott is apparantely on Shudder now, found out about it while googling for Jordskott-trailers. Not putting the Shudder-trailer here though, since they put a song with a completely wrong tone over it.

Have the original international trailer instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZyVnXe3yV8

Man, I want to rewatch Jordskott one of these days. While I liked Dark, parts of it reminded me of how Jordskott had done something similar, but usually in a better way.

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 6, 2017

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Riget is a Danish show that takes place in Denmark. You may be able to find it on YouTube, actually.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I was sure it was Swedish, but I really should have read the imdb page more closely I guess. That's what you get from writing stuff mostly from memory.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Oh dear god this loving show I think it broke my brain

This show might actually be be the greatest explanation for everything and also the most stupid explanation for everything at the same time not that it matters but still just felt like it might but we all know this could just go on and on and on and on...welp my mother is calling so I need to go and talk to my sister who I think might be pregnant with some new boy's kid that just got to town and looks an awful like my father at that age but that is probably just me being stupid anyways see you later unless something happens but I can definitely say it did not break my brain

:angel::suicide:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A couple things...

You cannot let your concentration fade for a second trying to keep up with everyone. I can't imagine watching this solo, it is nice to have a mate to ask "ok, this is so and so right?" Otherwise I'd probably been driven mad.

They certainly did a good job of casting young/old variants. I was dang impressed with that aspect.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
it was fun guessing who was who as the show went on, but the only thing that really caught me off guard was the old "weird" guy in 2019 wasnt ulrich, i figured it was him going insane from being trapped in the 50's trying to fix it. was a nice surprise to be surprised that it was actually the priests helper.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

anatomi posted:

Riget is a Danish show that takes place in Denmark. You may be able to find it on YouTube, actually.

Also worth mentioning that it's made by Lars von Trier. It's basically his version of Twin Peaks.

I've been watching this show with my dad, and he's having serious trouble keeping up with all the characters. It's kind of ridiculous how many there are, particularly since all of them are cast twice.

The soundtrack and the opening are the best thing about this show, though. If that aspect wasn't spot on, I would stop watching.

And More fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 8, 2017

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
About tracking characters, its a lot easier when you just start recognizing every character as a different variation of the same person. DNA reincarnations of themselves? A family DNA tree would be a closed system infinitely looping upon itself.

I have so many theories and questions at the same time on this one.
This is a great story, or the worst one ever, still don't know, probably both.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Last scene of last episode: who was the chick who said "Welcome to the future?" Were we supposes to recognize her? Somehow related to old lady Claudia? Also, was Bartosz young Noah?

I'm so confused lol. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride and hope we get to see more of Winden in a second season

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

eighty-four merc posted:

Last scene of last episode: who was the chick who said "Welcome to the future?" Were we supposes to recognize her? Somehow related to old lady Claudia? Also, was Bartosz young Noah?

I'm so confused lol. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride and hope we get to see more of Winden in a second season

Guessing she's related to his aunt/girlfriend from 2019. Not sure who Noah's supposed to be but from his comments and the 2052 future reveal it sounds like there are future factions using the time loop to ensure 'their' future ends up occurring. I was expecting the whole thing to wrap up with a 'you can't change the future' closed loop so was pleasantly surprised they left it open at the end for further time travel hijinks.

Enjoyed the whole thing but I'm a sucker for the David Fincher/Johann Johannsson vibe they had going.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Thanks for the advice on other shows!

And More posted:

I've been watching this show with my dad, and he's having serious trouble keeping up with all the characters. It's kind of ridiculous how many there are, particularly since all of them are cast twice.

I managed to start Netflix playing by accident and slept through Episode 3 without realizing it. Boy did that make Episode 4 a lot harder to follow! (also that Agnes Obel song during the split screen music video has been looping on my playlist since then)

It helped me mentally to group them by families (most of the cast belongs to four major families). I think this only has spoilers for the first ep or two:

Nielsens -- Police dad, big family, missing son
Kahnwalds -- Jonas (raincoat kid), suicide dad, mom having an affair with police dad
Tiedemanns -- Rich mothafuckas, own the hotel + run the power plant, son is bffs with Jonas
Dopplers -- Cop mom + weirdo dad, senile grandpa, deaf daughter + artistic daughter who's soooo over this town

There are some family trees with pictures that are even more helpful, but the ones I've seen do spoil a bit of the show if you haven't watched through Episode 8.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One complaint I have after watching the entire season is that some characters just seem to disappear for large chunks. After Franziska Doppler hooks up with Magnus they just kind of stop showing up for the middle of the show.

Also after looking it up, I was surprised to see the actor who plays the Stranger really is in his late 40s. He totally looks a lot younger than that.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
^ Agreed! What happened to the deaf girl? She was so adorable. In a way I’m glad she didn’t have any sort of negative storyline because I would have been heartbroken.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

eighty-four merc posted:

I am pretty sure she is Martha (his aunt) and that is how she knows he is from the past hence the "welcome to the future"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

D-Pad posted:

I am pretty sure she is Martha (his aunt) and that is how she knows he is from the past hence the "welcome to the future"

Shouldn't Martha be almost 50 then? That woman was in her 20s.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

muscles like this! posted:

One complaint I have after watching the entire season is that some characters just seem to disappear for large chunks. After Franziska Doppler hooks up with Magnus they just kind of stop showing up for the middle of the show.

Also after looking it up, I was surprised to see the actor who plays the Stranger really is in his late 40s. He totally looks a lot younger than that.

I have two minor somewhat observations that strike me funny. Is everyone in the town fit enough to climb up a 50' rope to get out?

I would assume the cave to be searched thoroughly based on events that take place. Yet it appears somehow there are areas only a map can take you to?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I thought it was weird that Mikkel, at least, never found the door in ~30 years of searching and mapping.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 11, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

^^^^Watch out for spoilers

Colostomy Bag posted:

I have two minor somewhat observations that strike me funny. Is everyone in the town fit enough to climb up a 50' rope to get out?

I would assume the cave to be searched thoroughly based on events that take place. Yet it appears somehow there are areas only a map can take you to?

I did laugh at Claudia repelling down into the cave wearing a business suit and heels.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just finished this today and really liked it. Some of the sciency talk dragged on a little bit for no real payoff in my opinion, but the fundamentals of the way everything played out were really impressive.

Anyone else suspect that "older Jonas" might not actually be Jonas, but Bartosz instead? He gave the "why did you kiss Martha?" question as a kind of proof that he knows things only Jonas would, but this came after the big fight between Jonas and Bartosz because of that very subject. I dunno, it seems like it would make for a lot more payoff to that character being built up and becoming Noah's new lackey and stuff. On the other hand, I guess it's not super clear at the moment if Noah's plan is working so far or if the bomb actually did change time in a way that he was not prepared for, so maybe it's hard to say.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
How does this stack up next to The Kettering Incident?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finished this last night, it starts out really well but those last few episodes kind of went off of the rails, and I can't decide if they did so in a good or bad way.

Also while I normally live for this type of show where you have to hang on to every word in order to fully understand what's going on, this might be the first show where I'm kind of stumped on that front. I'm not sure what plot points they intentionally left open and which ones I may have missed the closure of.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
One of my favorite things about this show is the casting. They did an excellent job and many of the characters look very similar to their counterparts.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
It was enjoyable, but I can't say the end scene really excited me.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I'm eight episodes in, have to watch the rest tomorrow. I love mystery stories like this and while there is a lot that annoys me about this show (mysterious sound effect) it is still entertaining and engaging. I would rate it at 7/10 right now which makes it the best new show I've watched this year. It was a terrible year with bad choices (Fortitude S2, for example...)

There are still so many open questions but I hope they'll at least explain the child experiments, it was in the drat trailer and I have still no idea what that is and why.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chomposaur posted:

Les Revenants (french with subtitles) is EXACTLY all of this. Beautifully shot with an excellent soundtrack by Mogwai too. Seriously cannot recommend it highly enough, one of my all time favourite series. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2521668/

I'm 7 episodes down with Dark and enjoying it so far but I think I need to go back and rewatch from the beginning to get all the cast straight in my head. I'm digging Germany's answer to Mads Mikkelsen so it's no hardship, lol.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

supernatural blonde posted:

Germany's answer to Mads Mikkelsen

:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that same thought. That guy really goes places in this show.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I've been thinking. It's a sign of our times that this show is compared to Stranger Things. Just because that one is recent and popular. The shows have nothing in common. Dark is, however, essentially season 4-5 of Lost. Even down to attempted child murder to change the future.Why does nobody make that point?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Because Lost turned loving awful while this still has promise.

Not that the last scene gave me a lot of hope. But the show could just never get a 2nd season and it'd still be pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

sicDaniel posted:

. The shows have nothing in common.

It's much less of a thing in Dark, but the 80s probably did it.

• Locked thread