Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This game

was made by these people

5 years ago. And I'm going to play it for you, internet.

Rise of the Owlverlord

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Machinae Supremacy's version of the Giana Sisters theme dates back to... 2001, I think. The version used in this game is actually that exact same track without the intro (which features music from other Commodore 64 games) and outro.

I used to loving love Machinae Supremacy (and have used their remixes in my LP videos) because I'm a gigantic loser nerd, but their recent albums -- which are fairly generic and overproduced power metal, albeit still with some fun Commodore 64 SID sounds -- don't really do anything for me. Give me more retro game remixes, dammit!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 4, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was really enjoying this game up until I got to a really long level with a frustratingly difficult bit in it. If I'd been able to save and come back to that spot later I'd probably have kept going, but redoing the entire level every time I wanted to attempt it was too much.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
This was one of my first Kickstarters, if not the first one I ever pledged to, and it was a good enough experience to overcome some of the rather negative ones since. They're not all horribly delayed and ultimately not worth it.

Those gems on the results screen are the master gems you collected during the level.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
Game looks fun! I'm getting flashbacks to Rayman Origins while you play which is always a good feeling.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I tried to get into this but was ultimately turned off by it being the most generic platformer ever. If you're looking for oldschool jump and collect gameplay, it would be just perfect though. I guess.

e: Great music, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 4, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I made it most of the way through but gave up on one of the last levels; it didn't help that the game had no further mechanics to unveil at that point.

Good music though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I remember that I came quite far. Then I had to leave the house just as I wanted to start the next level. For some reason I never bothered to continue the game after that point.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Wow, a lot of you guys are down on this game. I've only gotten up to 2-1 so far, and while the levels have gotten longer (party due to my own careful examination of the levels), I'm still enjoying it. Hopefully that will carry through to the end of this LP.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Wow, a lot of you guys are down on this game. I've only gotten up to 2-1 so far, and while the levels have gotten longer (party due to my own careful examination of the levels), I'm still enjoying it. Hopefully that will carry through to the end of this LP.

it was certainly good enough to keep me entertained > halfway through, but it does of outlast its welcome eventually.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Good lp

I used to be really into machinae supremacy like 10 years ago. Neat to see their stuff in this game. In addition to enjoying their sound, I liked the once-rare synthesizer they used which was built around the C64 sound chip which itself was kind of a technological curiosity. So a metal band with a deliberately C64 sound showing up in a C64 game revival is no surprise.

Winterstorm is a good example of their style. They also did a Brittany Spears cover!

sudonim fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 5, 2017

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here, I really like the game but kind of petered out. The levels are a bit too long, and collecting hundreds of crystals each stage becomes kind of a drag. Still a good game, I'm glad you're LPing it.

The game was made by the same guys that made the latest Bubsy game, which looks like a crappier version of Giana Sisters. You can totally tell it's the same developers, it's kind of funny.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's really cool to see that the devs have not only delivered on a kickstarter, but managed to evolve the game into something of its own beyond the straight mario clone it started from.

Also chiming in to say that Machinae is a pretty great power metal band but I also haven't listened to them in nearly ten years now. Glad to see they're still around! I always thought they have some incredible guitar going on but (and I feel bad about saying this) their singer has a kind of whiny/nasal voice that brings them down. The riff from Dark City is infectious as all hell, as is most of their stuff - but that guitar solo in the Giana Sisters track, oh man.

They also did the soundtrack to Jets 'n' Guns, which is also a fun game in the vein of Raptor/Tyrian, and if you haven't played it you should...

drat, this is a great musical nostalgia trip. Here's one of their better instrumental numbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0zmliQzyLY

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 5, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I always thought they have some incredible guitar going on but (and I feel bad about saying this) their singer has a kind of whiny/nasal voice that brings them down.
Jonas Rörling is a great guitarist and, judging from that one time he shared lead vocals with Robert, a pretty decent singer as well. As for Robert, I think his vocal style works great for some tracks such as Winterstorm, but in others it just sounds grating.

Also, here's the original Giana Sisters theme from the Commodore 64 version. C-64 games generally haven't aged well at all (and most of them weren't very good in the first place), but many of them had really good music.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The game was made by the same guys that made the latest Bubsy game, which looks like a crappier version of Giana Sisters. You can totally tell it's the same developers, it's kind of funny.

And the sad thing? That Bubsy game you mentioned is honestly the best that the bobcat has ever had with its biggest issues being the short length and lack of incentive to collect everything. Otherwise, it's a surprisingly decent game for a mascot infamous for having garbage games.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 5, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chimera-gui posted:

And the sad thing? That Bubsy game you mentioned is honestly the best that the bobcat has ever had with its biggest issues being the short length and lack of incentive to collect everything. Otherwise, it's a surprisingly decent game for a mascot infamous for having garbage games.

From what I saw of it, it looked a little buggy and WAY too many voice clips. I was surprised and sad to learn the people that made this game ended up making that Bubsy game too.

Anyway, I'm glad people are enjoying the music as much as I am. I also am really loving the visual style and the switching mechanic, which may not be robust with abilities, but I think there is a nice balance where it't simple enough while still opening up to be used for more complicated platforming. We'll see if these impressions carry on to the end.

I initially wanted to open it up to you guys to say if you wanted me to play levels blind or go in with a bit more knowledge or confidence, but I'm very heavily leaning towards moving forward with more familiarity. I try to keep my videos around 20 minutes, and one level took me 35 minutes as I hunted for side areas and died a stupid amount of times (I wanted to cut it down, but after looking at it, decided not to). I think if I do a bit more research or practice, that will help keep things moving more swiftly, but if you have different opinions on that, please let me listen to what you have to say.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You can actually control how much Bubsy talks, even stop him from speaking altogether. And if it's any consolation, they made the most competently done game in the Bubsy series as in you're going to die every five seconds from bullshit game design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-JEborbvDw

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Enjoying the LP so far. I'd considered buying this game a while back, but didn't. Right now I'm 50/50. The videos are positive, but the thread has me worried.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Highway posted:

Enjoying the LP so far. I'd considered buying this game a while back, but didn't. Right now I'm 50/50. The videos are positive, but the thread has me worried.

My opinion is the next time it's on sale, go ahead and grab it. Is there anyone in the thread that has bought this game and regretted it? Even if you didn't finish it, did you feel like it was worth the purchase?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I don't regret buying it. Someday I might go back to it, who knows. I'd go as far as to say I'm glad I own it.

Also, Jamesman, I'm speaking just for myself here, but I would not think less of the LP if you finished stages without 100%ing them. It's a noble endeavor, but holy god I can only imagine what the later stages feel like when you get to the end and are short on gems.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I don't regret buying it. Someday I might go back to it, who knows. I'd go as far as to say I'm glad I own it.

Also, Jamesman, I'm speaking just for myself here, but I would not think less of the LP if you finished stages without 100%ing them. It's a noble endeavor, but holy god I can only imagine what the later stages feel like when you get to the end and are short on gems.

We're still early enough into the game that I'm still feeling out the best way to approach levels. I think aiming to collect all the gems will always be a thing I will do though, because it encourages exploration, puzzle solving, and use of skill. To strip all that away would make the experience too generic for me to enjoy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the big crystals or the blue/red/yellow gems? Because the latter ones get extremely plentiful in later levels, the former are more proper puzzles.

Just thinking of how many there are in later levels, 100%ing them would drive me mental. I'm not that good at the platforming though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The large crystals are always hidden off in side areas, so that will always be a thing to strive for. The regular gems are usually used as a guide, but some of them are set up in a way requiring you to do switching and comboing moves and stuff, so I think it's still good to go for them and try to challenge myself to get them all.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's your show man.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I AM still working on my approach here though.

-The first couple of levels were played repeatedly, so I knew what to expect out of them. They were also much shorter, so I don't know if they're a good sample to judge by.
-The couple levels after that were played before, but without as much familiarity to them. Enough to have an idea of what I'm getting into, but not enough that I can play flawlessly.
-The levels you're seeing now are being done completely blind, and I'm trying to keep my eyes open for hidden areas and think things through. Much slower but you get an idea of what's going through my mind as I play.
-After these next couple levels, I'll play a couple levels blind, but more aggressively. Not spending as much time looking for things, and just replaying later to get what I missed.

I'm not sure which style of play people want to see. Personally, I'm thinking either option 2 or 4, since those would keep levels from dragging on too much (hopefully). But it's really up to what you guys think is best.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
That boss was bullshit.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only thing that's kinda lame about it, is that the spike's movements don't always line up with the boss, so you can't always get a shot in.

Everything else is just me learning very slowly how to beat it.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
And even with all these deaths you still seem to be under par.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nuramor posted:

And even with all these deaths you still seem to be under par.

Nah, I got 0 stars for having all those deaths. The way it breaks down appears to be up to three stars earned depending on how many gems you find, and up to two additional stars depending on how many deaths.

Stars are mostly just a vanity thing, but you need to get enough of them to unlock the boss levels and progress through the game. There aren't any numbers given for how many stars are needed (just a gauge that fills), but I don't think it's necessary to do super-well in levels in order to make progress.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I far prefer the approach where you do some pre-playing. It seems like secrets are only going to get tougher to crack as the game goes on.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I far prefer the approach where you do some pre-playing. It seems like secrets are only going to get tougher to crack as the game goes on.

Yeah I just played a level that pretty much confirmed I HAVE to do this if anyone is going to keep their sanity. This is not the quaint little generic platformer I thought it was going to be.

The things they throw at me are starting to get quite challenging. And they make effective use of the switching mechanic. And I'm dying a lot. Help I think I made a mistake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jamesman posted:

My opinion is the next time it's on sale, go ahead and grab it. Is there anyone in the thread that has bought this game and regretted it? Even if you didn't finish it, did you feel like it was worth the purchase?
I bought it on sale at a steep discount, but it was worth it at that price. That said, it is difficult and frustrating and if you don't have the time or patience for that then you're never going to finish it (as I didn't). I really like the aesthetic and even the way it plays, just not the fact that you can't save mid-level so you have to repeat a bunch of stuff every time you die. I just can't tolerate that. And even with the ability to save anywhere I probably wouldn't have ever finished it - because I assume it gets much tougher as it goes.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Yeah, I'm going to second that you do some pre-playing. It'll make things easier for you, and present a smoother experience for people like me.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played this a little bit when it came across the Humble Bundle and thought it was well done, but my PC was crap back then so it was a little too choppy to get into it.

Thanks for sharing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Something to watch for that I just discovered - because it's such an old game, it's already losing backward compatibility. I can't run it on my Windows 10 systems, and the developers told me that I also need a dedicated graphics card for it - the Intel onboard card is insufficient even at the lowest settings. I'm still mulling over whether it's time to pull an old computer out of retirement just so I can play along.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Interesting. It looks like it is rendering a few layers of polygons shaded with a bunch of dynamic lighting effects so a decently parallel GPU would be necessary.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I noticed part 8 is already up on Youtube, but for some reason not visible in the thread. :)

Anyway, I stumbled upon this thread by accident and finally got around to catching up on the videos. I'm a little different from the folks who had some luke-warm experience with it, as I absolutely adored the game and its expansion. I still play it on occasion and hope to finish the main game's über-hardcore one day. (I got to 3-7 during a lucky day once, once you know the levels, there are really only a handful of true trouble spots in the mandatory part of the levels)

I do get what people say when they say the game eventually wears thin and what the LP-er meant when he mentioned the "sameyness" in level 2-1. (levels generally have some unique stuff, like the floating castles in Crystal Canyon and the ravine in the background in Owl Shriek Ravine, but the "feeling" of many of those areas is somewhat similar) And while the 1st and 2nd "world" frequently introduce new mechanics, the 3rd world is all about throwing it all together and making you struggle through it.

And yeah, the game initially lets you use the training wheels during the first few levels, then suddenly yanks them away in Owlbeak Castle before making you ride a tightrope above a shark pool in the Amethyst Mines. And that's nothing compared to some of the later levels too. :) The Easy difficulty (which adds shield gems and additional platforms in dangerous areas) wasn't even present in the first version, but was added when casuals started complaining about suddenly getting wrecked. :)

A little tip for you that's mentioned in the expansion's loading tips, but goes unmentioned in this game: the game lets you use a "safety jump". Basically, you can not just jump while on the ground, but also in mid-air under certain circumstances. You do this by walking (not jumping) off a ledge, then pressing jump while you're falling. (you can add a twirl or dash after this jump too) The same is the case when you fall due to a crumbling platform disappearing underneath you...you can jump when you're falling in order to get to safety. This technique is very useful when you need to cross wide gaps with low ceilings and will come in handy in the penultimate level of the second world.

Nidoking posted:

Something to watch for that I just discovered - because it's such an old game, it's already losing backward compatibility. I can't run it on my Windows 10 systems, and the developers told me that I also need a dedicated graphics card for it - the Intel onboard card is insufficient even at the lowest settings. I'm still mulling over whether it's time to pull an old computer out of retirement just so I can play along.

That might just be your computer. I have Windows 10 too and it runs like a twisted dream for me. A dedicated graphic card was always necessary for the game IIRC.

Jamesman posted:

Yeah I just played a level that pretty much confirmed I HAVE to do this if anyone is going to keep their sanity. This is not the quaint little generic platformer I thought it was going to be.

The things they throw at me are starting to get quite challenging. And they make effective use of the switching mechanic. And I'm dying a lot. Help I think I made a mistake.

That's too bad. :shrug: If you've already made up your mind about this, I guess it can't be helped, but since you asked for opinions, here's mine:

In my mind there are three kinds of Let's Plays; "Expert LP's", "Blind LP's" and "the rest". "Expert LP's" are playthroughs by someone who knows the game and mechanics like the back of their hand and are much more well-versed in the game than even the average fan. You don't really see these kinds of LP's for a game like Twisted Dreams, but I enjoy them for games like RPGs where they show unorthodox approaches to bosses or situations and where they elaborate on lore, fan theories and the such. In other words, I enjoy those kinds of LP because I learn new things from them.

Then there are the "Blind LP's" where people jump into things without any preparation and where you get to see have their first experience first-hand. I enjoy watching people's first reactions to games I've played. I enjoy the giddy anticipation as they're approaching particularly challenging parts without knowing what's gonna happen and watching the "Whoa, crap!", "Wait, what?", "Hmmm...how do I tackle this?" "Aha!", "Ugh, no I got this!" and "gently caress Yeah!" reactions; the player getting caught off guard, or cursing at the game's sadism, or watching the wheels turning inside their heads as they try to figure out how to best tackle a situation. I even enjoy the slight sense of despair when a blind LP-er gets owned several times in a row by a nastier part. Yes, it's a little sadistic, but hey, I was in the LP-er's shoes once and most of the time didn't even do better. :) And during those times, I do find myself rooting for the LP-er a bit, wondering how many tries it'll take before they proceed. Obviously, even sadism has its limits, so if a particular obstacle clowns you 10 times in a row, there's no need to show all 10, just the first few attempts with the rest edited out if it gets repetitive. (heck, this is what you'll be doing for the game's final boss anyway, I'm calling it now)

Then there's the "the rest" LP's, which is just someone playing. No in-depth expert analysis, but no juicy first-time reactions either. Just...playing. There's less the desire to root for the LP-er because you know they already finished the level several times. The only deaths you get to see are not when a new situation tackles the unaware LP-er, but when the LP-er loses focus and has a "stupid death" as you called it. Stupid deaths are the least interesting to watch. I suppose to people who never played the game, explanations about how stuff like the "green alien/spikey box"-mechanic works are interesting, but me, I already knew all that stuff and I was more curious about how long it took you to figure it out and whether it was by accident or part of concious deliberation. When you say stuff like "first time I played this level, I died a lot", my first reaction was "where and how? Any particular parts? Any parts where you lucked out? Show, don't tell!". It kinda felt like a tease for a prequel that ended up cancelled after announcement. :cheeky: I didn't mind you carefully searching for gems everywhere. I'm not a new player using your videos as walkthrough.

Compare Blind LP's of the same game and all of them are different, since different people have different first reactions. Compare non-blind LP's and many of them start feeling samey eventually since they lack the spontaneity of the initial impressions.

Obviously, if you have a maximum movie length you strictly feel you must adhere to, there's not much to be done. But personally, I don't feel my own sanity is being saved by getting deprived of your initial impressions. In the end, though, it's up to you to determine what kind of LP-er you want to be and what you want to show or not show your audience.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 15, 2017

• Locked thread