Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This game

was made by these people

5 years ago. And I'm going to play it for you, internet.

Rise of the Owlverlord

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Wow, a lot of you guys are down on this game. I've only gotten up to 2-1 so far, and while the levels have gotten longer (party due to my own careful examination of the levels), I'm still enjoying it. Hopefully that will carry through to the end of this LP.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chimera-gui posted:

And the sad thing? That Bubsy game you mentioned is honestly the best that the bobcat has ever had with its biggest issues being the short length and lack of incentive to collect everything. Otherwise, it's a surprisingly decent game for a mascot infamous for having garbage games.

From what I saw of it, it looked a little buggy and WAY too many voice clips. I was surprised and sad to learn the people that made this game ended up making that Bubsy game too.

Anyway, I'm glad people are enjoying the music as much as I am. I also am really loving the visual style and the switching mechanic, which may not be robust with abilities, but I think there is a nice balance where it't simple enough while still opening up to be used for more complicated platforming. We'll see if these impressions carry on to the end.

I initially wanted to open it up to you guys to say if you wanted me to play levels blind or go in with a bit more knowledge or confidence, but I'm very heavily leaning towards moving forward with more familiarity. I try to keep my videos around 20 minutes, and one level took me 35 minutes as I hunted for side areas and died a stupid amount of times (I wanted to cut it down, but after looking at it, decided not to). I think if I do a bit more research or practice, that will help keep things moving more swiftly, but if you have different opinions on that, please let me listen to what you have to say.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Highway posted:

Enjoying the LP so far. I'd considered buying this game a while back, but didn't. Right now I'm 50/50. The videos are positive, but the thread has me worried.

My opinion is the next time it's on sale, go ahead and grab it. Is there anyone in the thread that has bought this game and regretted it? Even if you didn't finish it, did you feel like it was worth the purchase?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I don't regret buying it. Someday I might go back to it, who knows. I'd go as far as to say I'm glad I own it.

Also, Jamesman, I'm speaking just for myself here, but I would not think less of the LP if you finished stages without 100%ing them. It's a noble endeavor, but holy god I can only imagine what the later stages feel like when you get to the end and are short on gems.

We're still early enough into the game that I'm still feeling out the best way to approach levels. I think aiming to collect all the gems will always be a thing I will do though, because it encourages exploration, puzzle solving, and use of skill. To strip all that away would make the experience too generic for me to enjoy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The large crystals are always hidden off in side areas, so that will always be a thing to strive for. The regular gems are usually used as a guide, but some of them are set up in a way requiring you to do switching and comboing moves and stuff, so I think it's still good to go for them and try to challenge myself to get them all.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I AM still working on my approach here though.

-The first couple of levels were played repeatedly, so I knew what to expect out of them. They were also much shorter, so I don't know if they're a good sample to judge by.
-The couple levels after that were played before, but without as much familiarity to them. Enough to have an idea of what I'm getting into, but not enough that I can play flawlessly.
-The levels you're seeing now are being done completely blind, and I'm trying to keep my eyes open for hidden areas and think things through. Much slower but you get an idea of what's going through my mind as I play.
-After these next couple levels, I'll play a couple levels blind, but more aggressively. Not spending as much time looking for things, and just replaying later to get what I missed.

I'm not sure which style of play people want to see. Personally, I'm thinking either option 2 or 4, since those would keep levels from dragging on too much (hopefully). But it's really up to what you guys think is best.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only thing that's kinda lame about it, is that the spike's movements don't always line up with the boss, so you can't always get a shot in.

Everything else is just me learning very slowly how to beat it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nuramor posted:

And even with all these deaths you still seem to be under par.

Nah, I got 0 stars for having all those deaths. The way it breaks down appears to be up to three stars earned depending on how many gems you find, and up to two additional stars depending on how many deaths.

Stars are mostly just a vanity thing, but you need to get enough of them to unlock the boss levels and progress through the game. There aren't any numbers given for how many stars are needed (just a gauge that fills), but I don't think it's necessary to do super-well in levels in order to make progress.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I far prefer the approach where you do some pre-playing. It seems like secrets are only going to get tougher to crack as the game goes on.

Yeah I just played a level that pretty much confirmed I HAVE to do this if anyone is going to keep their sanity. This is not the quaint little generic platformer I thought it was going to be.

The things they throw at me are starting to get quite challenging. And they make effective use of the switching mechanic. And I'm dying a lot. Help I think I made a mistake.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've been trying to put videos up on YouTube and let them sit there for a day or so for those who subscribe and/or follow on Twitter. Also gives me a chance to see if there are any problems before I post about it on here.

So speaking of,

I'll have to experiment more with the delayed jump. I'm sure I've done it and not realized it, but now that I know it's a thing I can see if that helps me in any parts. Thanks.

I don't necessarily have a video time I MUST adhere to, but I just feel ~20 or less is a reasonable length to ask of a viewer. If I'm struggling too much and not making a lot of progress and bumbling about for 35 minutes in a level, it's hard for me to feel like I'm putting out videos that I'm OK with, and that's why I was trying to see what I could do to prevent that from happening again. I wanted to move forward by playing more confidently, either by practicing levels beforehand or just being more pro-active in the way I played blind. With that Spooky Dungeon level, so much was being thrown at me that I felt like the latter would end up being impossible.

What I might end up doing, then, is trying to record a blind run through a level. If it's not turning out the way I want it to, then I can re-record it using the knowledge from already playing through the level.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Erpy posted:

BTW, it's not uncommon for people to firedash towards enemies and then die because the dash ends just before they reach the target. The dash' length is determined by how long you hold the button; a quick tap results in a shorter dash, and letting go of the button immediately cancels it. The dash's length tends to be extended a bit when homing in on nearby enemies, but it still gets canceled when you let go of the button before it connects, so the best way to avoid these kinds of deaths is to hold the dash button until you hear the pop of the enemy getting defeated.

Well I'm glad I'm not alone there. It's just sometimes I miscalculate the distance and the attack runs out just before touching the enemy. I feel like something could have been done to better refine the dash attack, but I'm not quite sure what.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Highway posted:

After that worm(?) boss, this squid boss seems much more generic. It seems this game doesn't have the same sense of progression that you'd find in other platformers: there world themes are sparse or non-existent, difficulty varies, the second boss seemed like a better introduction than the first.

I was making lots of mistakes with the worm boss, which are more my fault than the game's. While he has some more variety, I don't think the worm and squid are that different in difficulty.

I do agree that the progression doesn't have that difficulty curve you would expect from a platformer. It does keep me on my toes though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hi.

My hard drive has been doing this fun thing where I don't know if it's going to die or not, so I used that as an excuse for a holiday break. Will hopefully get all that resolved soon and have a more regular schedule again.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also, I'm not making a thread for it since it's not an LP proper, but I started my streaming of Deponia on Twitch a couple days ago.

https://youtu.be/WNMT6f8vczo

I should be continuing this tonight around 8pm EST, provided I have some folks that'll check it out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
My opinion is that the signs have been interpreted as "Avoid at all costs." They signal wrong ways, pits, and even instant death because you're going too far out of the level. Now I need to reinterpret those signs to determine what message they are trying to convey, because I might still have a reason to explore that area they are warning me about.

I just think there was a better way to go about that. Thankfully it hasn't really been an issue after that from what I've played, but that just makes the level stand out all the more.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

And Deponia part 2: https://youtu.be/VvXDt8bDo_g

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm planning on continuing Deponia Friday night around 8pm EST. It would be super-cool if you guys could show up and help me solve more puzzles. And if you wanna catch up so you know what's going on, you can watch the past streams or just continue reading this post.

Rufus lives on a literal garbage world and wants to escape to a not-garbage world. His latest attempt to do so results in him rescuing a girl by making her fall out of the sky and now she's unconscious and he needs to brew some coffee to wake her up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Erpy posted:

One little gem you failed to show on your "retrieval run" yet didn't get on your first one was the small gem hidden near the boxes next to the last big gem that rose from the acid.

Sorry about that. I try to look over the footage and point things out, but sometimes something will slip past me. I won't realize I missed a gem or two and them picked them up on the next run.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Last night didn't work out, so I'm gonna try and stream tonight around 8pmEST. Hopefully some folks can make it and we can have a fun time solving puzzles together.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Erpy posted:

Owl Wing's Nest savaged me the first time I ran through. Especially some of those areas with the buzzsaws. In the area around 15:00, it's actually possible to navigate a large part of that section by using your flaming dash to zip from owl to owl, though you won't be picking up all gems if you do it that way.

You did very well on this level.

I'm trying. I'd LIKE to think that after playing through so many levels, I've picked up a few skills. Every now and then, though, the game will throw another obstacle at me that I need some practice to overcome. The challenge in this game is fun and usually pretty fair, and I've really been enjoying the game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the next level coming led to quite a few deaths, even on replaying it. I looked up some videos afterward and saw people did WAY worse than me so I feel kinda OK with that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

osirisisdead posted:

I suck at side scrolling platformers.

I've been enjoying these. Thanks again for sharing.

If you've been watching, then you know I do too. :v: But I'm glad you're enjoying this!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ziv Zulander posted:

Seeing them up close like that, those are some ugly character models.

There is something a little "off" about them, but I don't think they're terrible. For a platforming game, they are designed simple enough with some bright colors, and the two personas are different enough from one another to stand out. They just need to look a little less like creepy dolls.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Erpy posted:

(including at the point where you threatened to angrily shout), rolling boulders, plenty of small platforms, precision bubble segments, rows of fireball throwers, absolutely no shield gems (again) and that segment at 14:20 that's essentially like flipping a coin on whether I make it through or die horribly. It's pretty much the :argh: emoticon in level form.

The good news: aside from a brief nasty section early on in the penultimate level, your current skills should allow you to make it from here to the final boss' doorstep with relatively little trouble.

Anger poo poo :eng101: Think something like a monkey at the zoo flinging poop at everyone and screeching.

The level after this I ended up doing a practice run of, because I kept dying to stupid things and it was throwing my focus off too much, but even then, yeah I'd say this level was a bit of a spike compared to what's come directly before and after. I've been checking out a few videos of other playthroughs on YouTube, and one person had almost 40 deaths on this level, so I don't feel too bad about my death count.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think doing a practice run of the stage beforehand really paid off for this one; the pace of the video was very good. Meanwhile, this game continues to impress with its interesting stage designs...some of those obstacles looked tough as hell. I like the sections where there are multiple dangers in a row and you need to keep a rhythm to make it through...areas like that really depend on the game having great control.

Yeah, I think like 99% of the obstacles are designed pretty well and provide a pretty fair challenge, and it does really feel good to get the rhythm going and bounce from enemy to enemy. I always want to stress that this is a fun game. I've had fun from beginning to end.

Erpy posted:

I'd complain about that, but the two times I made it all the way to that level, I died in very stupid and avoidable ways (once I missed jumping on a frog and got drooled on, once I missed a fireball dash against a flying owl I didn't need to kill in the first place and tumbled into a pit), so you're not alone there.

Yeah, it's just that sometime repeated deaths can throw me "off" and I start to lose my energy and don't communicate as much, as I focus more on making it through the level. It's just a hangup, and I end up feeling better going through with a little less burden so I can manage talking and playing at the same time. I've been trying not to do it, but every now and then, ya know?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The final level will be two videos because it ended up being a much longer experience than I had anticipated. I'll post them both at the same time though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aaaaand we're done! Sort of! We've got some bonus levels to tackle, and then the expansion, but for now we're done!

Also I may be taking a little break in the near future because of computer issues. If I go dark for a week or so, it's because I won't actually have a computer.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Erpy posted:

BTW, Gurglewocky has one attack I don't recall seeing in your video...during the third phase he sometimes does the "breathe lava all over the room"-move a second time, causing the lava to rise to the middle of the room and submerging the floating platforms near the bottom. The lava eventually drains away to cover just the floor again, but if he decides to be an rear end and use the fireball move right afterwards, you're in for some tense moments.

I fought him for over an hour and this never happened. Maybe it was removed?

quote:

The four "normal" bonus levels are kind of "retooled" versions of levels you've already conquered in the normal game, except due to different enemy, trap and obstacle placement, they still feel mostly like a new experience even though, if you recognize what level they used as a template, you'll easily be able to get the hidden areas since those are unchanged. The exception to this is Halloween Special 2013...that one's a literal clone of level 3-6 Breakneck Passage with absolutely no changes whatsoever aside from the visuals. You can safely skip that one, since you've already played through it a couple of episodes ago.

Does this apply to both and Normal and Hard versions? Is there no reason to show off either of those?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I started Rise of the Owlverlord today.

You know how I have said repeatedly I don't like being chased? Yeah, about that...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

One complaint I do have for the game is the music...it's fantastic and I've started listening to it on my ipod. But there aren't enough songs. It got a little repetitive through the LP.

If it helps any, the expansion has all-new music so you get to expand your playlist a little further with it.

My computer's going in for some repairs, so it's going to be about a week before I get back to posting for this. I've already got half of the expansion recorded though, so hopefully I can hit the ground running once I get everything back and set it all up again.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hey, I'm not really back yet, but I wanted to post an update while I had a chance.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

My computer stuff if taking longer than I expected, and unfortunately, this is the last video I had uploaded in advance as a precaution. I'm hoping I'll be back up and running within a week, but everything's up in the air at the moment. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hi. I still don't have a computer and I'm gosh darn frustrated over it. I was supposed to have it back by now, but communication has been garbage and I have no answers for what it happening with it or when I can expect it back. I'm mad as heck.

This is the absolute last video I had as backup for this downtime. I wasn't even able to make a thumbnail or title image for it. I'll do that when I finally have a functional computer again.

PART 25
https://youtu.be/evUB2QSwdI4

• Locked thread