Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I was always a pretty big fan of the Back to the Future cartoon. It was entertaining AND educational. Someone needs to come up with a word to describe something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was always a pretty big fan of the Back to the Future cartoon. It was entertaining AND educational. Someone needs to come up with a word to describe something like that.

Edutainment? That's what Nintendo used to label games like Mario is Missing.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Travelers is easily the most tightly plotted time travel show ever, really showing the strengths of the Netflix model when it comes to plot coherency. Holy poo poo if you have not seen the show don't get spoiled here. It is a slow, slow ride at first but goddamn is it worth sticking with. Honestly it might end up tying with Continuum if they keep this up. Never seen any sci-fi show hold it's reveals as close to the chest as this does but it definitely pays off. The last episode of the first season revolutionizes the whole thing. The second season is exponentially better then the first. The tropes it reverses are great - you got invasion of the Body Snatchers except the Body Snatchers are trying to save the world as per orders of benevolent future Skynet who they follow like God. There hasn't been a single actual scene in the future shown but from what little gets revealed it sounds miserable as gently caress. The time travel "cult" and its operation and their voluntary subordination to an artificial intelligence are fascinating and I don't recall any other show having as morally dubious time travel method yet.

Yep I'm gonna throw in with Continuum crew here and say that Travelers is right along side Continuum for quality time travel shenanigans. Having seen what's aired of S2 so far, this poo poo is loving bananas. There are a ton of details that you miss in the first pass but are fantastic to catch when you give it another go.

With Continuum, I'd pay real close attention to detail to try and figure out where they were going. Of course I ended up being about 1% correct and also getting confirmation that I'm a crazy person. With Travelers I'm not even trying, I have no loving idea where any of this is going and I don't care, as long as it keeps going.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 6, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Just started Travellers on the recommendation of this thread.

There are some little moments at the start of a show when you know you're gonna love it, when it becomes clear that its not going for the easy plot or easy answers. For BSG is was Apollo shooting down the Olympic Carrier. For Breaking Bad, when Krazy 8 survives the phosgene.

For Travellers, that moment was when they highjack a truck and disarm an antimatter bomb in the first fifteen minutes of the second episode, and then the rest of the episode is them dealing with the fallout.

I was really worried it was going to be a disaster-of-the-week show, like Seven Days (that other time travel to save the world show) so I really enjoyed that they start with such a clear signal that this is not that kind of show.

Timby posted:

Edutainment? That's what Nintendo used to label games like Mario is Missing.

I think you mean infotation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyYFeHOvAv4

(Also time travel, so its thread relevant)

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I just remembered that, unlike literally every other show he's ever been on, Continuum managed to not kill Roger Cross until the very end and whoo boy did he go out in style.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I just remembered that, unlike literally every other show he's ever been on, Continuum managed to not kill Roger Cross until the very end and whoo boy did he go out in style.

Him and Garza were my favorite characters. In most other shows Travis would have been just dumb muscle but the warrior-philosopher who has to constantly struggle not just to murder everyone around him was great. Also it was great how he would just no contest absolutely gently caress up anyone in a fight.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah, Continuum did what a lot of media fails to do with its super soldier, and that is make him actually threatening. Its good that Travis can straight up wreck basically everyone, and that Kira can only barely keep up with him using her suit and CMR.

It also makes the fight in the S2 finale really tense.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Speaking of a failure to make threats threatening, that was always my biggest problem with the Terminator series. The killbots weren't scary enough on an episodic basis. They certainly had their moments, and the Johnny Cash/motel pool scene is one of my favourite sequences ever, but mostly if just felt like the threat was Summer Glau getting throw through plasterboard walls.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Not Operator posted:

Speaking of a failure to make threats threatening, that was always my biggest problem with the Terminator series. The killbots weren't scary enough on an episodic basis. They certainly had their moments, and the Johnny Cash/motel pool scene is one of my favourite sequences ever, but mostly if just felt like the threat was Summer Glau getting throw through plasterboard walls.

While this is true, the series also gave us Summer Glau wrapping that one terminator into a metal pretzel.

(I assume the explanation here is that Skynet was running out of useful materials and having to make do with shoddier models, but that never really passed muster for me.)

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

TSCC was indeed a good one, the first time I watched the scene where Derek Reese gets killed my jaw just hit the floor. I've never seen any other show so unexpectedly off a character without even stopping to take a beat and acknowledge that it happened.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

DarkCrawler posted:

Him and Garza were my favorite characters. In most other shows Travis would have been just dumb muscle but the warrior-philosopher who has to constantly struggle not just to murder everyone around him was great. Also it was great how he would just no contest absolutely gently caress up anyone in a fight.

That fight where he gets captured (for the last time, even) in S4 was the loving best. I need to re-watch it, but my remembrance is that Carlos does some loving gun-kata poo poo and literally caps him in the knees a few times just to prevent him from completely dominating him.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Just remembering all the times Travis gets tazed and doesn't notice, and smiling.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

That fight where he gets captured (for the last time, even) in S4 was the loving best. I need to re-watch it, but my remembrance is that Carlos does some loving gun-kata poo poo and literally caps him in the knees a few times just to prevent him from completely dominating him.

Carlos drops the gun from one hand to the other, shoots Travis several times and it still takes someone hitting him with a god damned truck. In S4E5 he takes 5 or 6 bullets to the chest and still holds down future soldier guy then blows up the whole god damned building.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I love how when he got shot like eight times and the doctors gave up so his in-built defibrillator just took over and revived him and he was ready to murder people in like second after he woke up

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Just watched all of Future Man, and yeah its pretty good, and surprisingly robust in its time travel for a straight up comedy.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Not Operator posted:

Just watched all of Future Man, and yeah its pretty good, and surprisingly robust in its time travel for a straight up comedy.

Just finished ep 9 and that was a full on British farce. Amazing.

Also, Wolf is the greatest.

Ah, it has it's own thread.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 10, 2017

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

spookygonk posted:

Also, Wolf is the greatest.

He has a ridiculous amount of character growth, its fantastic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix recently put up the first season of a German time travel show, Dark. It takes place in a small German town where children have gone missing in multiple time periods. It's hard to describe without going into spoilers as learning about how the time travel works is a fairly large part of the plot but the time travel is done through stable wormholes that go to three separate times, 1953, 1986 and 2019 with time passing at the same rate at each location.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Just posting to say that Travelers season 2 is so loving good it's stupid you should watch Travelers asap

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Kablooie, this sort of surprises me. I think we have similar tastes so I had you figured as a 12 Monkeys person.

Continuum is great but 12 Monkeys has all others beat simply because of Jennifer Goines (80s episode, anyone?!). And the fact that Time itself is basically a living entity of sorts.

Also Travelers S1 is really good but I'm only a couple episodes into S2. If you're claiming it is better I'm gonna have to dive right in and get caught up.

Still though, 12 Monkeys is the high bar for me. The cast chemistry is just off the charts and Kirk Acevedo can do no wrong.
gently caress it I'm gonna watch S3 again

E: quick someone make an alt/parallel universe shenanigans thread so we can talk about that genre's king: Fringe

isaboo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 13, 2017

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Just finished S2 and god drat this show does not gently caress around

pahuyuth posted:

Kablooie, this sort of surprises me. I think we have similar tastes so I had you figured as a 12 Monkeys person.

Continuum is great but 12 Monkeys has all others beat simply because of Jennifer Goines (80s episode, anyone?!). And the fact that Time itself is basically a living entity of sorts.

Also Travelers S1 is really good but I'm only a couple episodes into S2. If you're claiming it is better I'm gonna have to dive right in and get caught up.

Still though, 12 Monkeys is the high bar for me. The cast chemistry is just off the charts and Kirk Acevedo can do no wrong.
gently caress it I'm gonna watch S3 again

E: quick someone make an alt/parallel universe shenanigans thread so we can talk about that genre's king: Fringe

Don't get me wrong, I adore 12 monkeys. I probably shouldn't have put a ranked list, time travel aside all these shows are pretty diverse. Season 3 of 12 Monkeys is amazing with Athan and Olivia. Looking forward to S4.

I'm gonna have to write an OP for Travelers season 2 because they really did kick things up a peg and ended with a gut punch. It shows up on Netflix on the 26th.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I made a Travelers OP for s2

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844217

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I'm avoiding the Travelers thread in case of spoilers, but I'm just about to start on season two and its got my boy Keith Mars in it?

I'm so loving excited for this.

e: I JUST FIGURED OUT WHAT THEY'RE DOING HOLY gently caress

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 26, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Binged through Continuum whilst ill over Christmas - I'm halfway through S3 and I have no idea what is going on anymore. Nobody seems to be actually trying to do anything, they're just responding to stuff that other people have done.

Also Sonmanto. loving Sonmanto.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'm diving into S3 Continuum now and pumped for it. All of the Sadler family values stuff with Alec is kinda cool but I feel like it'll fall apart soon.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Not Operator posted:

I'm avoiding the Travelers thread in case of spoilers, but I'm just about to start on season two and its got my boy Keith Mars in it?

I'm so loving excited for this.

e: I JUST FIGURED OUT WHAT THEY'RE DOING HOLY gently caress

:allears:

I love posts like these

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I have to wonder if Wolf's restaurant, Wolf-Hart's is at all based on Marcel Vigneron's (from Top Chef) restaurant "Wolf" (https://www.wolfdiningla.com/)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I've just finished Continuum season 4 episode 3. Lots of good stuff. Spoilers below:
  • Garza and The Protector teaming up was awesome, although short-lived
  • Lucas getting got was just drat
  • I do not like what is happening with Carlos

That is all.

e:Wellllllllll I'm finished. That was good stuff and a proper ending.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 5, 2018

• Locked thread