Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i posted this a while back in the retro games thread but I would like a fun thread here where people can post their MAME cabinets or awesome MAME cabinets they have seen, or even terrible MAME cabinets (those are always my favorite). I didn't wanna make a big Games effort post OP because I don't want peeps to get mad at me if I don't update the OP with the latest and greatest in MAME happenings

i bought this huge POS in 2008 for $300:

it sat like that for years and years because I was not sure of where it's "final resting place" was going to be and I didn't wanna gently caress up the artwork moving it from the garage to the basement or whatever. So the thing sat in my garage for years while I kept telling myself I would get to it. Then sometime this year I got a huge fire under my rear end because we had a new room done in our house and I thought it would be perfect for it (I also had some time off from work and I worked on it while my wife and kid and newborn napped).

my goal was: make a 4 player MAME cabinet that supports a lot of games without looking like a Frankenpanel. So this is what I came up with:

I ended up filling in 6 holes: two of the ones above where the trackball was going, and 2 buttons each for players 3 and 4 since no 4 player games in existence use all 6 buttons.

Looks like dogshit but spraypaint made it look nice:

my 2nd goal was to use an original CRT. Like if it was literally impossible to get an arcade CRT for some reason I would have not even bothered because of how much I hate LCDs in arcade cabinets. If you have one in yours, cool. I just can't stand it visually. :spergin:

if you are interested, this is what Windows 7 looks like on an arcade monitor:

my 3rd goal was to not have it look like a MAME cabinet at all. I really hate MAME cabinets that say JERRY'S ARCADE PARADISE on the marquee and the sideart is the guy from Contra running around with Luigi and Baby Pac-Man. So I measured the cabinet and determined it was originally a TMNT machine from 1989. This was great because I could "easily" restore it back to that, which is what I started doing:

the only beef i had with the TMNT cabinet is there is only one speaker hole because TMNT is a mono game. I didn't want to cut a 2nd speaker hole (it would look like poo poo) so i did this:

bam! 2speakers 1hole

the sides of the cabinet looked like poo poo

so I had to cut out the bottoms and replace 'em

spraypainted and sanded like 5 goddamn times so the sides would be perfect for the new sideart:

almost done:

if you are wondering about the missing "extra" buttons, what I did was assign the P1 start button as a "shift" button, so if you press and hold P1 start and then press one of the player 3 buttons, the game will exit or pause (depending on which you press) which gets rid of the need to have extra buttons all over

one of my most favorite games (the SNES version sucks in comparison):

the dangling wire from the bottom left of the control panel is a keyboard hooked up over USB. I put two hidden USB ports under the control panel box because I will probably ad a light gun to this thing. If anyone has a light gun they recommend, let me know. Also, would it look really loving stupid if a TMNT cabinet had two light gun holsters on it? Be honest with me before I do this, please!

oh and the buttons light up depending on which game you are playing so in Street Fighter 2 all 6 buttons light up but in Donkey Kong only 1 button lights up. The frontend software even speaks out loud telling you what button is for what every time you start a game!

this is what it looks like with all the buttons lit up:

i know LEDs are pretty stupid but in this setup it actually serves a purpose so you know which buttons out of the 6 to use, or what button does what (pausing the game will also repeat the control information)

here is what I used if anyone cares:

• HAPP 4 player coin door
  • HAPP brand joysticks (dirt cheap)
  • Ultimarc Ultimate i/o for "converting" all of the buttons to USB
  • Ultimarc JPAC for plugging the arcade CRT into a VGA port
  • an ATI 65xx HD video card "hacked" with CRTEmudriver to allow for all of the wacky native arcade resolutions
  • Windows 10 with auto updates aggressively disabled on a core i7 3.2ghz from a billion years ago
  • LaunchBox paid front end and LEDBlinky paid software (so the LEDs behave the way I described)
  • NOVAGem LED pushbuttons from GroovyGameGear(sadly they don't make this any more)
  • LEDWiz LED controller
  • a brand new Wells Gardner k7400 arcade monitor that i was blessed from above to have caught on eBay as these haven't been manufactured in a decade and ebay never, ever has them new in the box
  • This cheap as hell but good amp because you can't just wire up car speakers to a PC
  • uh i think that's it

the only other thing i really want is a sit down racing game that i can mame so i can play racing games. i saw a non-working cruisin USA on craigslist for $500 and like an rear end in a top hat i didnt buy it. i would also like a cocktail pac man or something but they are too expensive.

anyway please post if you have a mame cabinet, or any thoughts you have regarding arcades in the home, or even post really awesome or really lovely mame cabinets itt (in this thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

thats cool altho using suzo/happ parts is disgusting frankly

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks awesome and it's cool you used a real arcade monitor

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Looks awesome and it's cool you used a real arcade monitor

thanks! yeah it's completely indiscernible from the real thing when using an actual arcade monitor (even a regular CRT TV is not good enough) and CRTemudriver

i forgot to mention i have to use a special fork of MAME called groovymame that is specifically for people using arcade crts

mysterious loyall X posted:

thats cool altho using suzo/happ parts is disgusting frankly

for some reason i thought happ was like standard default arcade manufacturer? i mean the only happ thing besides the 4 player coin door is the joysticks and i dont know how they could gently caress up a metal stick with a colored knob on it [insert mom joke about colored knobs here]

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

they are [ or were] standard on american style cabs yeah. ppl say they were better when they were manufactured in the usa but they've been made in china for the past 20 years. i've only had bad experiences on them on cabs and arcade sticks for home use

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Your using, of all things, NOT Super Street Fighter IIX: The Grand Master Challenge in your mame cabinet? gently caress off.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you're going to insist on capitalizing MAME every single time like some sort of weirdo could you at least italicize it for full effect? Thanks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cobalt Viper posted:

If you're going to insist on capitalizing MAME every single time like some sort of weirdo could you at least italicize it for full effect? Thanks.

It's an acronym for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. Topic Locked

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You wouldn't write it "snes" either.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Cobalt Viper posted:

???????

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

You wouldn't download a car

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FactsAreUseless posted:

snes :twisted:

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

You absolute mother fucker

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Gigante posted:

You wouldn't download a car

this really should have been the mario kart 8 DLC tagline

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Looks cool ive always wanted to build a MAME cabinet. what tools are necessary to own to do a project like this

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HORMELCHILI posted:

Looks cool ive always wanted to build a MAME cabinet. what tools are necessary to own to do a project like this

the tools I had to get that I didn't already have was a table saw (people practically give these away for free because they take up so much loving room) and a router. The router was so I could recess the controllers underneath the control panel and I also used it to make slots for the t-molding. if you dont need to replace any wood on the unit, you could get away with buying none of these. like if you bought a midway machine like Killer Instinct and you don't want a 4 player cab and it's in decent shape you could get away with zero tools

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I just want a good place to play the initial d arcade stages.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

That place, my friend, is in your own home

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Try your nearest round 1 arcade. Or japan

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah Round 1 loving owns

They have Franziskaner beer there too which major bars don't even carry

Love that place

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

if anyone wasnt sure what to get me for chistmas ill just leave this little hint here ;)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thats really badass OP

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

extremebuff posted:

thats really badass OP

thank you. It was such a large amount of work (whether it looks that way or not) that i wanted to share. but I would also really like to see others MAME cabinets here

also I need some opinions on that thing I mentioned. I went ahead and ordered two of these:

I got it in red and blue

it's an arcade lightgun compatible with every gun game ever made.

the only conundrum: will this look idiotic attached to a TMNT cabinet?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

you are the one who decided that sonic sipping a beer with contra man, pac man ghost and solid snake was dumb. what do you think the answer to your question is?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
MAME cabinets always look idiotic. I mean, you have like 20 buttons, 4 joysticks and a trackball. A gun is just icing on the lovely looking cake. But they're not made for prettiness, they're to play games with. So hell, stick a Sega Bass Fishing reel on there. Whatever floats your boat.

How did you redo the bottom exactly? Glue, nails, bubble gum?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Domus posted:

MAME cabinets always look idiotic. I mean, you have like 20 buttons, 4 joysticks and a trackball. A gun is just icing on the lovely looking cake. But they're not made for prettiness, they're to play games with. So hell, stick a Sega Bass Fishing reel on there. Whatever floats your boat.

I guess I will just make it so the guns can be attached when needed, instead of having them always connected. Which was originally what I wanted to do except this somehow fucks with MAME as the guns get assigned a new number every time you unplug them and plug them back in :thunk:

I thought I did an OK job with making it not look like a ridiculous MAME cabinet with the trackball being the only thing making it blatantly obvious that it was a MAME cabinet, but I did try to make it look as stock as possible :(

hey at least I didn't add a steering wheel and gas pedal. :unsmith:

Domus posted:

How did you redo the bottom exactly? Glue, nails, bubble gum?

The bottom was done by using a circular saw to cut out all the hosed up wood. Then I just bought new wood, and cut that. I put it in place and on the inside of the cabinet, I put a small block of wood for the new piece on the side to stick to. I used screws on the inside, then I used recessed screws on the outside of the cabinet. I then used some wood glue on the inside just to make sure it was good. I was certain that when I picked it up off the floor, the few seconds it was completely tilted onto the bottom side it would have snapped right off but incredibly it did not.

Then I had to use a decent amount of wood filler and some bondo and sanding to make the sides match up perfectly. With the sideart on it looks identical to the rest of the cabinet

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

you should build recessed holsters

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HORMELCHILI posted:

you should build recessed holsters

that...is actually a really good idea. Thank you!

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

that looks cool OP

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

extremely steampunk posted:

that looks cool OP

Thank you :)

I was kinda hoping some of youse guys had a MAME cabinet they could share , but if not, maybe this thread can just be a thread to post pics of funny MAME cabinets, like this one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

:wtc:

can't leave out cocktail cabinets:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lmfao at the pinball one

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
thats really cool OP. how many hours total do you think you spent working on making that bad boy?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

trying to jack off posted:

lmfao at the pinball one

Yeah seriously, pinMAME machines are pretty cool (plasma TV laying flat with a ton of pinball games) but that one had my head spinning

and somehow I found another one like that:

here's some more

(I'm the LCD in front of the CRT)

looks like it belongs in a hotel bathroom

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
8 buttons

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want to give you props because -- well done! And a freaking CRT.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

rediscover posted:

thats really cool OP. how many hours total do you think you spent working on making that bad boy?

Thanks pal! It's really hard to put a number on but if I had to guess I'd say 65 hours total? But understand a lot if that included trial and error like me trying to heat gun and sand off the black paint for two days until just giving up and using citrus stripper. I am really bad at following a million directions all at once and preferred to learn things one at a time. I didn't even know what front end I was going to use until the day I finished all the manual labor

Worst part was painting and sanding the sides because it's basically always cold up here in Vermont so I had to do this poo poo in the garage and I got paint dust all over the goddamn garage and I had to remove every single thing in the garage in the end and clean it off. I had to sand and paint like six different times to make sure the side art was going onto a flawless surface

If I would have bought a tmnt cabinet with side art and wood still in good condition it would have cut the time in half

Zeluth posted:

I want to give you props because -- well done! And a freaking CRT.

And believe it or not I got a brand new one in the box from a guy who had it in storage for 13 years for some reason!

It's the very last 25" low resolution crt wells garner arcade monitor ever made!

Since then I still have not seen a new in the box

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thanks pal! It's really hard to put a number on but if I had to guess I'd say 65 hours total? But understand a lot if that included trial and error like me trying to heat gun and sand off the black paint for two days until just giving up and using citrus stripper. I am really bad at following a million directions all at once and preferred to learn things one at a time. I didn't even know what front end I was going to use until the day I finished all the manual labor

I like Launchbox a lot, good pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Launchbox is the best frontend I’ve found

• Locked thread