Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
its cool that its both a nice desktop, mouse-based organizer, but also has the console frontend style youd want for a project like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's rare I get a good feeling after paying for software

It did some weird poo poo like give me Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles even though I specified United States games preferred but other than that it's simply amazing.

The old stubborn me would have wasted two weeks of my life trying to get Hyperspin to work because it's free but I don't have the patience (or time) that I used to

Ledblinky even works with Launchbox itself so when it loads up Big Box mode the buttons for enter and back light up and the machine tells you which is which

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ah the classic Zelda arcade game everyone loves (watch someone link me to some Japanese-only prototype of Vs. Legend of Zelda or some Dave and Buster's Link's Crossbow Training to make me look like an rear end)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Actually looks like someone did make a Zelda cab that came out really good

but usually it's poo poo like this

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

that zelda cabinet is awesome

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

White Genocide posted:

that zelda cabinet is awesome

Yes it is. I don't see the point of it, but it's cool as hell. I always loved those Nintendo bezels.

Anyway here's more cabinets:

i'm the ATM

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i like all the janky cabs. wouldnt want one in my house but i like them

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zas posted:

i like all the janky cabs. wouldnt want one in my house but i like them

Even this one?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the X-Arcades bolted into cabs are a bummer

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lol again

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The button layouts on some of these are mind boggling.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

these are cool as hell but i cant be the only one bothered by how many of the cabinets are photographed sitting on a sidewalk or a driveway or something

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

extremely steampunk posted:

these are cool as hell but i cant be the only one bothered by how many of the cabinets are photographed sitting on a sidewalk or a driveway or something

that means they paid someone else to do it and are getting it delivered to their house

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like the ones sitting in the middle of a living room that obviously has nowhere near enough room for it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I built mine a couple years ago and was astounded how much an arcade CRT costs, got one of the last Makvision monitors for it and now I pray it lives a long time. But I see they're making LCDs that fit the arcade shape more these days.

Been wanting to add a light gun but didn't know how to do that. This thread will get me off my rear end.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tato posted:

I built mine a couple years ago and was astounded how much an arcade CRT costs, got one of the last Makvision monitors for it and now I pray it lives a long time. But I see they're making LCDs that fit the arcade shape more these days.

Been wanting to add a light gun but didn't know how to do that. This thread will get me off my rear end.

Yeah i paid about 350 for my monitor which was a loving steal. Like you I am so worried it would break in 20 years so I actually bought two. And I still have the one that was originally in the cabinet. 350 was a steal because on ebay they typically go for $400 with burn in and poo poo. 350 for brand new I almost cummed in my pants.

If it makes you feel better these things are built for 24 hour a day abuse and they still last like 25 loving years without a problem. And theres not much that can go wrong in them. Usually replacing capacitors will fix it

As for LCDs that will fit in a cabinet, it's not fitting in a cabinet that's an issue. It's how bad arcade games look upscaled beyond their native resolution. However if someone made an OLED 25" 4:3 screen that maxed out at like 300p then that would be a worthy replacement

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm finally going to have a real house with garage and room for a cab soon but now I wish I'd bought a monitor and put it in storage when it was still possible.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I've seen this before somewhere

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

That is amazing.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

is there a more general arcade/cab thread? bc i just bought a pinball machine and i am unrealistically hype about a thing i won't even get until the spring.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Deviant posted:

is there a more general arcade/cab thread? bc i just bought a pinball machine and i am unrealistically hype about a thing i won't even get until the spring.

Sweet, what machine?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

P-Mack posted:

Sweet, what machine?

Total Nuclear Annihilation

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 7, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I see the picture

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

In Training posted:

I see the picture

Must be a referrer thing. I rehosted on imgur.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Is the goal of that machine to cause total nuclear annihilation, or prevent it?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838379&perpage=40&pagenumber=2 there's the pinhead thread

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Is the goal of that machine to cause total nuclear annihilation, or prevent it?

Cause. You hit the targets to open the reactor, then bounce around in the upper playfield to cause the reactor to go critical, then hit the right side pop to destroy the reactor. Repeat for every reactor on the "continent".

features a shaker motor, full RGB lighting, and a 10 inch subwoofer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqE2wPlhpKI&t=4060s Unboxing and gameplay of another one. Play starts at 49m or so.

I played it at a show and fell in love with the lighting, sound, music, and the "Welcome to the future!" aesthetic.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 7, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

and look at those beautiful seven segment displays

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Deviant posted:

No there's no arcade thread on the forums which is why I made one here.

P-Mack posted:

I'm finally going to have a real house with garage and room for a cab soon but now I wish I'd bought a monitor and put it in storage when it was still possible.

I mean you would have had to have had this kind of foresight going back like ten years. I remember in 2009 people near me on Craigslist were selling them in awesome condition for fifty dollars. Then like two years later they disappeared completely and started fetching $400 from some place ten states away.

If you don't have a cabinet yet, your best bet is to keep checking Craigslist for cabinets with a monitor that works. Once in a while I'll see one by me for $600 or so but they go fast.

Make sure the game you are buying has a 25" screen (a lot of Street Fighter 2 cabinets were 19"). Also try not to get anything made after 1997 because they tend to have medium resolution screens which are good for things like NFL Blitz but terrible for everything else. You want to make sure it's a standard resolution monitor. Even games like Killer Instinct 2 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 were like 240p.

If you aren't doing a mame cabinet ignore my previous paragraph

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Did you post this on Reddit before cause I swear I saw this somewhere else

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Average Bear posted:

Did you post this on Reddit before cause I swear I saw this somewhere else

Nope, I don't have a reddit account. Maybe someone reposted them for some weird reason

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
drat I'm getting serious deja vu then. Going insane lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Average Bear posted:

get out of there neo!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Average Bear posted:

I posted it as a reply in the retro games thread so maybe you saw it there. but I didn't post it on any other website

I don't think mine is special enough to make it to reddit

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
Thgeres no way my parents would let me put something like that in our house.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Fargield posted:

Thgeres no way my parents would let me put something like that in our house.

Sounds like the ex wife!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

awesome

lmfao

• Locked thread