Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
w/e dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triglav posted:

w/e dude

I wasn't super clear about this in the OP, but let's try not to just dismiss people out of hand itt. The whole point is that queer issues get talked over a lot in the rest of this sub and nobody should feel like their voice is being bullied out. Disagree, fine, but you're being deliberately disrespectful to the person you're responding to here and the weren't doing the same to you.

Save the mean posts for people who burst in to wave their cishet opinions around without listening to anyone.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
just a bad attempt at a joke. dude/dudes = socal you/y'all

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
how do people make a decision about gender bullshit, anyway

i went from "haha i'm trans :downs:" to "i don't know poo poo and i think i'm full of it :saddowns:" again today and just like. gently caress, how do people decide this. i'm not really dysphoric other than hating facial hair and my awful body, i think about it sometimes but it's not like it's a huge issue to me

it seems so easy for everyone else. just saying "i feel kind of trans" feels like a huge loving copout what do you even do past that

(obvious answer: therapy)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Re roll-call: In my class I have non-mandatory attendance, but send around a paper with official (what is in our uni's system) names for the class, along with instructions to make a mark by your name and write down your name if you aren't on the paper. Not sure how inclusive that is, but at least I am not calling people out in front of others I guess :v: (If you have suggestions on how to improve this, I am all ears)

Also, its kinda sad but students in the first couple of semesters are on average not mature enough to deal with non-mandatory, non-checked attendance*. At least judging by how many of them stop attending after first lab session where I tell them that attendance is optional (but recommended), and then come back last week of the semester whining how hard things are, how they need extra time for deadlines and so on. Often they even admit that they didn't even go through our rather extensive lab materials, but somehow it is our fault that we assumed they are responsible adults. :shrug:
Since we started sending around the paper with names, even though we make it very clear that attendance is still optional, the average attendance is up and people have much less trouble finishing the course. It also helps us with proper data of when do people stop attending, so we can do something about it (ie last semester we found out that a surprising amount of people stopped attending after week 6, so we redid the course weeks 5-7 and this semester things are better).

* Actually I think the problem is in the students not having figured out yet that when we give them advice, we mean and it is good advice (at least for passing the course). We even had to start enforcing some things that we previously only gave as an advice.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zamujasa posted:

i went from "haha i'm trans :downs:" to "i don't know poo poo and i think i'm full of it :saddowns:" again today and just like. gently caress, how do people decide this. i'm not really dysphoric other than hating facial hair and my awful body, i think about it sometimes but it's not like it's a huge issue to me

it seems so easy for everyone else. just saying "i feel kind of trans" feels like a huge loving copout what do you even do past that

Therapy is the right answer anytime you can't nail your feelings down on your own.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Imo dude and to a somewhat lesser extent guys are agendered words, and the people who say they are bad are probably being overly cautious.

I'm also somehwat annoyed by people calling other people they/them/their even though they explicitly know know their identified gender. To me it feels like you intentionally gloss over part of their identity. Of course it's totally cool to use they by default I think it works very well, but once you know someone well enough and know their gender then use the pronouns that go with that IMO.

One last thing I'm doing masters rn and there's a guy in class who goes by a different name than his registered name. He has two first names and prefers one over the other.

Every single class we had from this teacher he would call roll and use the wrong name. Every time he would say he would fix it. All the teacher had to do was edit an internal wiki page. He never did. This happen every time we had this class. It was just painful.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

if dude is agender what's the deal with dudette

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

maybe it's an east coast/west coast thing, but i can't imagine dude being used gender neutrally

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

If you're comfortable calling people a hair on an elephant's butt then keep saying dude i guess.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
and a dork is a whale penis!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

muckswirler posted:

If you're comfortable calling people a hair on an elephant's butt then keep saying dude i guess.

thanks, dudelberry

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zamujasa posted:

It may seem obvious, but it's not easy, so congrats on you for realizing it. I spent 15 years repressing it and looking for anything that when obviate my need to acknowledge the truth.

cis autodrag posted:

I also tend to do this. Better to be safe than stomp on people's feelings. I just genuinely had no idea guys and dude weren't totally agendered at this point. The only people I've ever irl heard complaints from are a meme from my friend in Facebook who is the definition of white girl woke and my wife's uncle who's a lovely republican who was mocking me for my beard shadow back before the laser started to work.

If it's not too personal, how long did it take to work for you? I just had my first about a week ago. :)

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 10, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i too am a fan of "yall" for address over "guys/dudes"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zamujasa posted:

yo you're saying you're pretty dysphoric right there just saying!

Triglav posted:

maybe cuz west coast + hippie school, but "they" was taught to me and what i heard as a kid

wasn't strictly taught to me but like, we all used they that way and none of the teachers ever taught against it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

are people actually offended by "dude" or "guys"? idgaf about that poo poo and I assumed outrage about it was just a conservative strawman.

none of the trans or cis women i know care about that because it's at the same level of common use as atheists saying "oh god"

y'all works pretty good as a replacement though yeah

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

i'm not really dysphoric other than hating facial hair and my awful body

i don't mean this in a hostile way or anything but, what exactly do you think dysphoria is...

but yeah as other posters said seek therapy, it's super helpful. it's a person who knows all the weird dumb ways your brain fucks with you and has seen tons of these patterns before

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is "bro" gendered? what about "bra"?

i also use "yall"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommunistPancake posted:

if dude is agender what's the deal with dudette

nobody has used the term dudette in earnest since like 1993

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Glazier posted:

If it's not too personal, how long did it take to work for you? I just had my first about a week ago. :)

I'm pasty like my white mom but I got my super dark coarse beard from my black dad so I was at like 50% reduction after 3 sessions. At my last session they said they might use a closeup of my cheek on a poster because I was the best result their clinic ever had.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

wife was doing laser for a while until she figured she was at the point of diminishing returns and needed to switch to electrolysis to get the rest, though she still hasn't scheduled that after a few months so idk what's up. it got rid of a lot though so that's nice

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

maybe it's an east coast/west coast thing, but i can't imagine dude being used gender neutrally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV61t021SxQ

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

ive never been able to get completely rid of my inner valley girl and still say dude/dudes a lot

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
dude and bro are not simply means of address: they are comments on states of being. 'sup bros' and 'yo dude' do not indicate the gender of the addressee, but instead indicate a level of camaraderie and/or chillness between the speaker and addressee, analogous to "howdy, partner" (in the over-stylized western film of your choice) or "regards, comrade/privet, tovarishch" (in some idealized soviet past full of gender equality and friendship of peoples). however, they stem from gendered meanings, and cannot easily be separated from them. the degree that any one person associates them with a gender will vary a lot, and saying "no, this or that understanding of the word is flat-out wrong" is patronizing.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Powaqoatse posted:

thats literally the first time ive heard of taking roll post highschool

Sagebrush posted:

Most of my classes are under 20 students and studio format, so it matters a lot if you don't show up

In the UK have a legal requirement to take a register for the students in my university level classes because our stupid government has tied attendance to student visa renewal. ofc we don't know students visa statuses so this then has to apply to all students. I am really lax with this and will accept almost every reason for being absent and I just do the registers after class or latter that as I think its frankly quite insulting to do at this level particularly if its in a way that is visible or rollcally. If I can't remember exactly who was there I mark them as present, I only make a point of marking people absent if it looks like a regular thing or that I think the student might be having other issues outside of class as this flags them up to whoever is responsible for their pastoral care to make sure they are ok.

cis autodrag posted:

Everyone is over complicating this. Don't take roll on the first day. Instead announce that you will take roll from then on and that if someone's preferred name (use that language) differs from their registration to let you know before the next class.

This way you are asking if the Christophers in the room want to go by Chris too and you're not singling out just trans students. Send out an email after class with the same statement for the dipshits who skip the first day of class.

Don't make it about trans students. Just make it generally about getting the name people go by.

In a recent round of teacher training someone said something similar that has really struck me and stuck with me:

"if you need to change something in you class to make it more inclusive for a specific student (disability/dyslexia/accessibility/etc etc) then its probably something you should be doing anyway as good teaching practice that will be helpful for all you students regardless of if they have (any of these specific) issues or not"

vodkat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 10, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ate all the Oreos posted:

wife was doing laser for a while until she figured she was at the point of diminishing returns and needed to switch to electrolysis to get the rest, though she still hasn't scheduled that after a few months so idk what's up. it got rid of a lot though so that's nice

Ya I still have some white hairs to electro out but you can't see em at all, they just bug me. It's inevitable that with laser some hairs will just get weaker and turn white or blonde rather than fall out. "permanent reduction" and all that.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

Progressive JPEG posted:

i also use "yall"

y'all and all'y'all

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Mods, change subtitle to "is bro gendered?" tia

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

cis autodrag posted:

I'm pasty like my white mom but I got my super dark coarse beard from my black dad so I was at like 50% reduction after 3 sessions. At my last session they said they might use a closeup of my cheek on a poster because I was the best result their clinic ever had.

Sweet! I'm biracial too, same parental races too, so I hope it turns out as good :)

cis autodrag posted:

Ya I still have some white hairs to electro out but you can't see em at all, they just bug me. It's inevitable that with laser some hairs will just get weaker and turn white or blonde rather than fall out. "permanent reduction" and all that.

I heard Jordan Raskopoulos talk about her experience with electro and If that happens to me I'll just live with it, laser already hurts enough. 😫

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 11, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Glazier posted:

Sweet! I'm biracial too, same parents too, so I hope it turns out as good :)

I heard Jordan Raskopoulos talk about her experience with electro and If that happens to me I'll just live with it, laser already hurts enough. 😫

By the time you're done with laser nothing will hurt anymore. Pain will be a distant memory. I'm getting electrolysis... down there.. to get ready for bottom surgery and it's not that bad comparatively. keep in mind that electro is hair by hair so it's not gonna singe quarter sized hunks of your face like laser does.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

cis autodrag posted:

By the time you're done with laser nothing will hurt anymore. Pain will be a distant memory. I'm getting electrolysis... down there.. to get ready for bottom surgery and it's not that bad comparatively. keep in mind that electro is hair by hair so it's not gonna singe quarter sized hunks of your face like laser does.

I'll take your word for it, best of luck on your surgery :)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

i don't mean this in a hostile way or anything but, what exactly do you think dysphoria is...

but yeah as other posters said seek therapy, it's super helpful. it's a person who knows all the weird dumb ways your brain fucks with you and has seen tons of these patterns before

that's the thing: i don't entirely know. i follow a lot of trans folks in various places and when they talk about being dysphoric it sounds like anything from upsetting to like, panic-attack inducing at points. and in my case i just feel mildly irritated. the kind of mild irritation you get when you hit every red light in a row.

i think i was just in a bad place last night. i feel better today. i'm doing what i can w/ therapy but the last therapist i tried seeing was not a pleasant experience so i'm working up the mental strength to try finding another one.

Progressive JPEG posted:

i also use "yall"

use bra when you're in the company of your best buds because bras are supposed to be supportive

:suicide:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i say "hey you guys" like sloth in the goonies

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

that's the thing: i don't entirely know. i follow a lot of trans folks in various places and when they talk about being dysphoric it sounds like anything from upsetting to like, panic-attack inducing at points. and in my case i just feel mildly irritated. the kind of mild irritation you get when you hit every red light in a row.

it's a big ol' spectrum like most human conditions. i know someone who's so disgusted with their dick and any masculine aspect of their body they've already gotten a trach shave and they're counting down the days until bottom surgery, while my wife and most of my other friends are perfectly fine with keeping their ladyboners and are mostly bothered by their faces to varying degrees. don't try to measure yourself against some external standard of 'trans-ness', just try to figure out what you'd be happiest living with.

Zamujasa posted:

i think i was just in a bad place last night. i feel better today. i'm doing what i can w/ therapy but the last therapist i tried seeing was not a pleasant experience so i'm working up the mental strength to try finding another one.

pro therapist tip: if you can, make sure they have a psychology PhD or at least a masters, and preferably pick one that specifically states they're experienced in handling gender stuff ofc

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

both vary a ton between people and methods i think. the wife says laser is "like someone's thwapping a rubber band against your face, more annoying than agonizing" while another friend says their face feels like it's on fire. i also know that the one my wife did also puffed chilled air on you right before the laser pulse so it would heat damage the skin less or numb you a tiny bit or something?

as for electrolysis, the friend doing bottom surgery got it for that and didn't really mind it much at all, while another friend is having it done on the face right now and even popped some goddamn opiates beforehand and it was still overwhelmingly painful to her

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
As a basically straight cis male, thank you for this thread. I’ll be lurking so I can learn to not be a jerk

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
one thing to consider in general is that if you have had something suppressed for long enough whether through somewhat consciously doing so or as a result of depression or something, it may feel like you only feel it a little now. But actually investigating it or lifting depression or w/e can lead to you realizing you really feel that quite a bit.

the key is really that if it really was a big issue after all it will hit you at some point on its own seemingly out of nowhere when you aren't prepared for it. While finding it now is about as prepared as you can be and also means that you'll probably be doing something about it to help asap, so it never gets the chance to build up worse.

finally, consider just asking you're self a list of things, things along the lines of "if this thing happens or I make this choice, what am I afraid or concerned about of it". And then try to find solutions you can do in that hypothetical future, for that trait, or sideeffect.
And incidentally having that down on paper and shared with a psych or therapist can really help - both by telling them about you and showing where you are worried the most atm. It can be a wonderful way to break the ice in talking and gender/sex/sexuality concerns. And you can do it starting now!

Just the other night an nb friend and I talked over some of their concerns about going on T and how to handle them. They're going to finally ask their care team about the process to get it. And their long term anxiety about doing that is already clearing up. 💮

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is that a satanic pentagram emoji

e: oh it's 'white flower' but it's got a transparent background so i'm just seeing some five-lobed red thing on black lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

is that a satanic pentagram emoji

e: oh it's 'white flower' but it's got a transparent background so i'm just seeing some five-lobed red thing on black lol

Yeah it's either a happy flower or a weird demon symbol depending on emojis, theme, etc, so I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

it's a big ol' spectrum like most human conditions. i know someone who's so disgusted with their dick and any masculine aspect of their body they've already gotten a trach shave and they're counting down the days until bottom surgery, while my wife and most of my other friends are perfectly fine with keeping their ladyboners and are mostly bothered by their faces to varying degrees. don't try to measure yourself against some external standard of 'trans-ness', just try to figure out what you'd be happiest living with.

Second this, I don't have a lot of anxiety around genitalia, but my face and chest are/were a major source of my dysphoria.

both vary a ton between people and methods i think. the wife says laser is "like someone's thwapping a rubber band against your face, more annoying than agonizing" while another friend says their face feels like it's on fire. i also know that the one my wife did also puffed chilled air on you right before the laser pulse so it would heat damage the skin less or numb you a tiny bit or something?

For me it was a mixture of both, I was able to ignore it for most of my face but the chin was excruciating and that was with the cooling air.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 11, 2017