Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

homosexual cis male sysadmin checking in to say computers are the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Dongslayer. posted:

whats it called when you beat it to your gender about a fifth of the time

queer

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

whats y'alls grindr handles

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

So on a more serous note, I wanted to talk about the stereotype that trans people are drawn to tech. Anecdotally, there do seem to be more trans people in tech than in the wider population, but my thinking is that the truth is that there's just more out trans people.

Being, on average, more wealthy and more white than the wider population makes it feel safer to come out. I know I didn't come out until I was cashing developer paychecks. People doing worse economically have safety and employment concerns that require them to just suppress to get by.

Anyway, I wanted to get other folks observations on this since it's becoming somewhat of a stereotype at this point.

That makes a lot of sense, I hadn't thought of it like that. I have definitely noticed there are a lot of trans people in tech, but I didn't put much thought into why. It's another privilege that upper class people have.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

sorry to invade the thread with a stupid question but i can easily see google leading me to the wrong answers

i know what the "ia" in lgbtqia+ stand for, but beyond the strict english definition what do those actually mean?

the a stands for asexual/agender and sometimes ally. Asexual means you have no interest in sex. You might do it but you don't derive pleasure from it. Agender means you don't identify with a gender. Commonly expressed as being androgynous. An ally is a cishet person that actively supports queer people.

the i stands for intersex which is a person with a sex body part that does not fit the typical characteristics of the two sexes. This can happen when there's a hormone imbalance and the person doesn't really physically resemble a female or a male. Controversially parents may choose which sex they want the baby to grow up as because they're kind of in between and could go either way.

Raere fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 7, 2017

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

ah yes the funy computer forum, obviously the best place to post this

i originally thought of myself as just another dumb idiot cis male but in the last two years and especially the last two months i've been noticing that i might actually be trans and a lot of that cis thought might just be repression from the environment and my upbringing (my family was fairly conservative and even as recently as 2015 i had to deal with a family member calling a trans person "transvestite" as an insult and deadnaming them intentionally)

it's kind of like running "gender defrag.exe" complete with "gently caress realized another repressed memory, starting over" and it will probably take about as long as the real one before i really know what the hell is going on in my dumb idiot brain

You don't have a dumb idiot brain because you're questioning yourself. Every person questions their identity as some point, most people just don't want to say so out loud.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I'm a fan of using queer instead of LGBT++++++++++ because someone's always going to be left out if you use an acronym.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Triglav posted:

same re: queer, but only as an adjective

similar to "black community" vs "blacks", "hispanic people" vs "hispanics"

queers

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Just wanted to say that hookup apps aren't all bad. I met my boyfriend of one year so far on Scruff. If you're not having luck on Okcupid or w/e at least check em out! Whole lot of cool people out there that don't have the time to fill out a whole dating profile.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

What do folks think about using euphemisms to talk about genitals around trans people? I saw some Youtube videos that trans friends sent me in earnest that suggested saying 'bottom innie' instead of vagina and 'bottom outie' instead of penis. Those terms sound childish to me, but is it helpful at all to be more careful with my word choice? I'm inclined to treat people like adults and use the usual terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

My work just had its first queer lunch. Only 6 people out of a campus of ~2,500 showed up - but it was only advertised on the queer mailing list. It's a start I guess. It seems like my company is making positive strides in the queer space. The team is planning to propose to management some pro bono work for queer healthcare organizations among other initiatives. Management has been responsive so far - paying for booths and swag at a couple Prides for example. As the olds retire and the youngs demand more visibility and representation it makes me happy.