Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it's been frustrating for me that a lot of people seem to think of Validity being the problem rather than access to actual resources. there's a dozen support groups i could be in at a moment's notice where i live, but the doctors that are considered reliable are all booked out months in advance

i get that not everyone's a doctor and they want to help out however they can, but it still weighed kinda heavy on me when i was trying to get The Process started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

yo, what's the difference between bi and pan because it seems lime pan is "bi but with non-binary/agender/trans people too" but i've never met a bi person that isn't down with those groups

bi the way, i'm bi

pan is a term to make clearer what bi already was; i don't mind however people decide to identify themselves, but it's unfair to make assumptions about what people who self describe as bi think

obviously if you look hard enough you can probably find some dude on tumblr who specifically identifies as bi to exclude nb identities, but for the vast majority there's nothing being implied by it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

y'all talked earlier about laser and electrolytic hair removal, did any particular physicans or other medical pros do/refer those or did y'all track down a local business or similar

i see local places like simplicity laser and while i can't point out anything specific my scamalarm is (maybe falsely) going off

this is because dermatology is adjacent to plastic surgery, and as a result is a hive of rich people luxury services and scam artists. i would recommend getting a referral from your primary care physician or a trans-friendly doctor, the result will be both less scammy and most likely vastly cheaper than if you look for a dermatologist yourself

e: all that weird language about radiation or whatever is because the business you're looking at has a primary demographic of 40 year old upper crust socialite women that are terrified of aging

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 16, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I never understood the full gravity of how insane stalkers get about trans people until reading the article Dr. V's Magical Putter, in which a journalist describes in disturbing detail his investigation of a transgender inventor, his decision to out her to her family, friends, coworkers, investors, and the university she attended, and how it drove her to suicide.

it's worth a read, if you can stomach it, because it's extremely revealing of the mindset of those who stalk transgender people. it reads like a serial killer's autobiography; it was published, with the full support of the author's editorial department, in an online subsidiary of ESPN

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

this will just make companies fire trans people for unrelated reasons or no reasons at all, and just refuse to hire trans people at all

this isnt enough

the aclu is a civil liberties organization. why do you want them to fix every single problem rather than just the ones that their members have trained specifically to address?

e

Pollyanna posted:

i dont know how to solve the problem of companies just lying about the truth tho

the answer to this is labor protections that prevent abrupt firings entirely or guarantee full compensation for people who are fired, but it's a different department of law from the aclu and if it ever does exist it'll need to exist alongside specific protections for minorities too

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 8, 2018

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

jit bull transpile posted:

i am pansexual. wtf is wrong with making it clear that your preferences do not discriminate based on any combination of anatomy? it's just meant to be linguistically more inclusive than "bisexual" since the prefix "bi" can sort of imply that there are 2 and only 2 genders, and sometimes it's not completely clear if a person who says they're bisexual will murder you if your sexy girl bod has a dick attached.

i don't think your concern is founded here. the implied and accepted meaning of bisexual already matches what people are trying to define pansexual as. i don't care either way which word people use to describe themselves, but i do have a problem with people who, as you're doing here, try to use their identity to make snide implications about people who identify as bi.

bi doesn't mean 2 in this case. prescriptivism can go to hell

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

This. It's not safe to assume a cis bi person has even thought about the existence of trans people in any real way and a trans person could easily end up in a dangerous situation on a date with a bi person.

That is not a generalization about bi people, I also don't think every cis het is gonna murder a trans person but the ambiguity of what "hetero" or "bi" means to the individual introduces danger. "pan" was created as a term specifically so people could announce their sexuality in a way they eliminates that ambiguity.

Like, sorry if a gender hipster coopted the term and made you very mad online, but it's a real and good term.

Like, I'll stop caring about that sort of distinction the moment trans women stop getting murdered by panicked cis people. Until then, the refinement of the language of sexuality is critical to keeping my brothers, sisters, and siblings safe.

what you're describing is a cis/trans divide. it's very real, but i just don't see it as relevant to the bi/pan discussion you're trying to map it onto, especially since the same issue you're describing exists in strictly homosexual and heterosexual spaces with cis/trans hookups.

you keep saying things like "eliminating ambiguity" and "refinement of the language", but like, we just had some people post here saying "well i guess i would qualify as pan, but i say bi anyway". there's no refinement! it's just the same thing, but as like a secret trans handshake this time. and while i do respect how the evolution of language lets you instantly identify how outdated somebody's views are (easy example: "trans" vs. "transgendered" vs. "transexual"), i just don't like that pansexuality as a term is so often used as a bludgeon against people who identify as bi. i mean, you may not have intended to generalize about bi people, but:

it's just meant to be linguistically more inclusive than "bisexual" since the prefix "bi" can sort of imply that there are 2 and only 2 genders, and sometimes it's not completely clear if a person who says they're bisexual will murder you if your sexy girl bod has a dick attached.

this is totally insulting!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Forgive my bluntness, but if you found that quote insulting I think you are hard-core projecting some stuff from elsewhere in your life onto what I said.

Also "transgendered" was never a preferred term.

it's because you dumped trans panic, a trait of cisgender people, at the feet of bisexuality instead. i can't be any more clear than that. you're barking up the wrong tree