Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

poo poo.

I should probably start learning rust, shouldn't I?

... I just lost my job on Monday morning. So be prepared for bitching about finding a job and dealing with recruiters and being trans in tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

My favorite recruiter just said "I don't want to keep you"

Keep me from what? I'm high as balls on a wednesday morning spamming my resume places. Talk me up bro.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Tech bro culture is the worst

My "final interview" with a company I'm applying at is, what they call, the "Beer Test"

Basically a get to know you with the team sort of virtual meeting? But. They call it the "Beer Test" and assure me I don't have to "drink beer" during the beer test.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

woof. i hope it pays well because that sounds toxic as hell

Yeah. I'm nervous but it otherwise sounds like a great job. I do appreciate getting to meet people before accepting an offer though. Just... Beer test? Really?

Sounds too straight for my gay rear end. Give me a weed test instead.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Just got misgendered twice in the same interview after telling the interviewer I'm more interested in being treated like a person and then the tech stack I write code in.

So that's how my day is going.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

"Beer Test" turned out to be extremely gay

And I mean that as a great thing. It was a great culture check and I really hope I get a job offer tomorrow.

One of the interviewers was a trans woman embedded software engineer and that is badass as hell.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Beer Test turned into a REALLY GOOD job offer :10bux: Between being paid out my vacation time, the severance package I reluctantly signed, and getting a offer within 3 weeks I think I'm ending up slightly ahead. Plus the new job pays more than the old job!

I'm so excited. Basically the best news I could have gotten today.

Now I just have to decide what to do about the remaining interviews I have lined up, and a possible second offer from another company. Feels good though.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I just got home from what is hopefully my last gender related surgery. Feels great to be home in my own bed cuddling my kitties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I went with the orchi because I am an indecisive genderfluid idiot

I went with the orchi, got a taste of it, and had to go back for more.