Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Hi quid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Hey Bowmore please grace us with your opinions

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Quidthulhu posted:

Hey Gene, how come you didn't move your vote to bowmore if your intent in voting Hal was to get him to talk? Your effort post is really a whole lot of nothing, just some game summary and some "well maybes but maybe nots," and it seems to me if the only thing you're really committing to now is stirring up the people not here you dropping that realization should have included a vote. I could make an argument of you setting up a potential bus of your absent scum buddy with that so what's the dealio

It’s because he’s scum OP

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Hmmm tunneling by going after you? I’ve pressured 3/8 other people in this game, friend.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
There is a difference between tunneling and pushing a case. I mean maybe we have different definitions of it, but tunneling to me is when you ignore other players and possibilities. I haven’t been doing that. Provide me a case or a thought and I will comment on it. But it’s disingenuous for you to say that I am tunneling on day one of this mafia game when I’ve pressured you, gene, and Mona.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
But, here’s a thought, instead of doing the same thing yesterday, why don’t we talk about other people instead of you being suspicious of me for being loud.

What do you think of CC? I think I’ve mirrored his thought process on Mona, which makes me feel good about him.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Friend, just because I want to brutally murder you and watch the life drain from your face, it doesn’t mean that I am mad at you, just disappointed

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I yell my thoughts all the time, that’s not the issue. The issue is that your thoughts are “hmm, maybe?” which is just white noise, which we in the biz call ~~~manufacturing content~~~. It reads like you are trying to let us know that you are a valid participant in this game without putting any reads down that night later incriminate you or your scum buds

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Also, your votes are useless. You let the targets know, in the same sentence, that they aren’t real votes and you are just trying to get them in here.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Why do you like Gene for town? I can accept not concluding he’s scum but why town?

I would want either Gene or Mona. Gene preferred.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I feel like CC’s case on Mona is just Gene but more subtle. Like Gene’s signature move is saying nothing in a lot of words, while Mona hedged his reads, which is a very newbie thing to do.

I will be watching disaster artist at deadline.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

GeneX posted:

I suppose I’ll be the one to rhetorically ask why on earth scum decided to gank the potential modkill.

They might just have wanted to deny info to town, though if I speculate a bit, there might be an additional possibility of them liking how discussion was going and thus not wanting to mess with it; there could be yet another wine level on top of that, with them expecting this response, but I feel like going that deep isn’t/wouldn’t be worth murdering a nobody

Its considered good sportsmanship. I don't use it in my scumhunting, partly because all it tells you is that scum might have a vet on the team, and also because scum are trying to make the game better, which is cool and good and it would be stupid to discourage that.

Let's not no lynch again, although that was partly my fault. I still think Gene is our best candidate, with Mona being a very far second.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Monathin posted:

Also I still think flerp is kinda shady, his come-lately defense after I brought him up at the end of D1 didn't really address any of my own suspicions.

I meant to ask, why do you concede that your posts were scummy?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

flerp posted:

can u give me a quick rundown on why u think gene is scum ty

Sure. All of his reads were "hmmm maybe?" reads where he avoided giving a direct and conclusory opinion of anything. For example, when me and quid had our dance, he said that we were probably the same alignment without giving an indication of what that alignment was. He ha an awkward entrance with an awkward vote. He hamfistedly told us that he didn't receive a role pm (the last two are, of course, not the reason for the bulk of my suspicion). To me, he's Mona, except Mona is new and Gene has been doing this for seven years.

Monathin posted:

I was jumping back and forth on a lot of points, which came off as being very shifty-stanced (which in my mind is a real hint of being scummy, not just changing mind, but going back and forth repeatedly), in addition to inadvertently (sorry, Keane!) trying to play Spot The Lurker.

After I got called out by Keane/Asiina, I dropped out for a day, which doesn't do much to make myself seem -less- shady since you could say the same thing happens to a scum who goes quiet when out-foxed, but I did it mostly to see where things stood when I wasn't in the heat of the moment conversation.

Why do you think scum jump back and forth on their reads?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
You certainly are crazy self aware about your posting. I also don’t agree with your presumption that waffling people are scummy, since it’s much easier for scum to know alignment, since, you know, they’re scum. It makes me think that the only reason you think it’s scummy is because you yourself are scum.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Says Quid, adding to the conspicuous lack of scumhunting

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Quidthulhu posted:

I haven't been posting all day though pretending I'm engaging with the game :allears:

What. I was questioning Mona and responded to flerp RE: Gene. What is wrong with you this game? You’ve had this weird thing about me.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Hal Incandenza posted:

Me, asiina and I think Gene were voting mona, mona was voting someone, I think you were voting someone, and I don't think anyone else was voting.

I was voting gene

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Hal Incandenza posted:

You’re a good man YPM

Thanks bud your approval is the whole reason I play mafias

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Hey Hal, why are you not as gungho about Gene as I am? Gene is basically Mona without the excuse of being a newbie

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
God damnit quid just listen to me next time instead of calling me scum and then making the same case as me

GeneX posted:

Well, it wasn't a defense. It was the exact opposite of one, in fact!

My current best guess is you and Keane. I think you're deliberately misrepresenting what I'm doing and saying while jumping on YPM's coattails, and I think Keane's general terseness is hiding the fact that he hasn't actually done much other than post reads (and poke Mona).

Asiina had an interesting post on Mona (+scattered others) that I like but don't really agree with bits of; her lack of other participation is apparently due to IRL stuff, so while I'd like more from her in general, what I've seen generally makes sense (it's logically consistent and from a viewpoint I can understand). That's townplay.

Hal is...there. He's participating, but I honestly don't have much of a read on him at all. He's mostly posted when addressed and, uh, not much otherwise, so I guess I'd lean him scumwards.

YPM has had a hard-on for lynching me from jokephase on, which...ok. I guess it could be some kind of scum drive to lynch town, but it sure looks to me like he's got it in his head that I'm scum and nothing but my eventual/potential town flip will change that. That kind of behavior does not seem like a scum thing at all, and I'd be honestly shocked if he was.

Monathin still reads to me like overzealous town based on how he jumped on me so quickly, though the retreat into abasing himself and his play kinda feels like new scum bashing themselves to make town think better of them. Wouldn't lynch him right now, but I could see him being scum.

Flerp hasn't posted much, but I've agreed in general with what little he has said. The latter makes me feel good about him, the frontside a bit worse. Overall, though, probably town.

If I had to actually rank people, from scum to town:

Quid
Keane
Hal
Mona
Flerp
Asiina
YPM
Me

One last thing I'll say about your case: maybe my "wishy-washy" reads are really me posting everything I'm considering about people, refusing to condense it into "he scum/he town" so that other people can actually consider my reasoning alongside my point. If I don't actually have strong reads, I'd rather say that than lie.

I suppose I'll ##vote Quidthulhu, then, even if I'm not expecting much of it.

My favorite part about this is he still gives himself outs in all of his reads and even his vote

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

GeneX posted:

I, too, am unable to distinguish between “people do good things and bad things, but on balance, they’re X” and “refusing to commit”.

Except you provide equivocations for the individual actions, not just the alignments. There is a difference between
“Boy I don’t know about that Hal, he did kick that puppy but he also once held the door open for me, I think he’s probably town”

vs

“Boy I don’t know about that Hal, he kicked a puppy which could be scummy depending on if the dog has ever hurt anyone in the past but also it’s a dog so it’s scummy, and he also held the door open for me which might be scummy if he was going to close it really fast hitting me in the butt but just missed, but he’s probably town”

One gives clear insight into your thought process, the other is just you barfing every possible scenario and coming to an arbitrary conclusion

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Man I was starting to doubt my read on you and then you throw that limp wristed shade at me.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Like what’s interesting about me not voting you one day from lynch? Do you really think I’m going to be able to back out of credit for your lynch after wanting it from the start of day 1 if I’m not voting you? And why is the case all the sudden so confusing after saying that you understood where I was coming from?

My deal is that I think you are scum, I caused you, and people are starting to agree.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Quid’s case is mine with more words, friend.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hey sorry life hasn't been great the last couple days so I fell behind. But thankfully that was like 15 posts so now I am caught up.

I think your case on Gene is pretty decent and I have had a bad feeling from him so this is probably the way to go. He does touch my heart with his recent posting though.

Hello I’m sorry that you’ve had a bad time. Why do his recent posts touch your heart?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

GeneX posted:

I already claimed jesus

So you were lying about not getting a role pm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
You should have responded and made fun of me for asking that question, Gene, instead of voting for yourself. I thought that it would have been indicative of you being town if you had referenced your day 1 joke, since it showed that you weren’t really feeling the pressure, and it would have truly and honestly put me over the edge and I would have tried to move the vote.

But nope, you had to kill your self for whatever reason

• Locked thread