Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I said I'd throw myself into a game, so here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

GeneX posted:

I'm jewish, why should I care about saving your goyishe holiday?

but I'm unfortunately town so I guess I have to try, and that starts by

##vote Monathin

Wow how dare you I just got here!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Also Christmas mega sucks when your birthday is two days before so gently caress Christmas

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I believe Keane.p

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

flerp posted:

by check up u mean u shoot them in the face i assume

Check up is doctor softclaim, cmon, get it together

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

If you wanna bus the new guy, be my guest. I accept this fate.

But also: I'm not scum, just bad! Of that I can claim.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Second, played a game like two years ago. Ive plaued Mafia in other places.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Am I misusing the word? It might have a different connotations in other circles. I'm using the word new because I have played Mafia with goons a grand total of one other time.

Anyway if you want me to actually loving defend myself I have no clue why Genex actually Legitimately voted me when I hadnt even shown up to thread yet. That reads way more scummy to me, personally, but I didnt want to countervote because I'd just probably expedite my own lynching.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Sorry im mobile I promise I'm here to get my testimonials picked apart.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Oh see the way I have seen it used in other groups it was a shorthand interchangeable with bandwagon voting. That's my fault!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

But yeah Gene voted me in the middle of jokephase before I'd even spoken up and I wasnt gonna say anything about it until I was sure jokephase was over. I didnt consider it immediately shady if I'm being honest.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I dunno if Gene is scum but first to vote + obviously targetting the odd duck out reads to me as something that could fly under the radar easily while theoretically scoring an easy D1 mislynch.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Your Personal Muse posted:

It reads to me as an awkward entrance by scum who is voting for someone that they can safely switch off of.

I would agree, but I wasnt gonna act on first hunch during jokephase, not to mention voting Gene in retaliation would just make me more suspicious until someone else voted me.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

CCKeane posted:

Yep. ##unvote

Who are your top three you're most suspicious of Mona? I'm not going to vote you today.

I'm not yet immediately suspicious of anyone except Gene but I will admit that's hard immediate bias due to his vote on me, which I am happy to give him a chance to defend.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

GeneX posted:

I recognized Monathin's name from the super league threads in LP and voted accordingly

Don't bring my love of fantasy fantasy baseball into this!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Hey YPM while the shoe is on the other foot: why did you think Gene was suspicious if you hadnt read him voting me at the start of the day?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

GeneX posted:

nothing good can come from the super league, an offshoot facility of the factory of sadness in cleveland

The Factory of Sadness is the Cleveland Football Stadium. The Super-League is a fantasy baseball thread.

Something tells me you were just skimming my post history for an easy out. ##vote GeneX

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

flerp posted:

yes the easy out of "is in another unreleated thread"

GeneX posted:

I recognized Monathin's name from the super league threads in LP and voted accordingly

He was the one who brought it up first, and following up with an unrelated football reference when anyone at a passing glance of the thread could tell it's about baseball makes it read like a flimsy excuse to me.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Yeah sure that's fine.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Flerp giving me bad vibes too

I mean of course flerp wants to murder me because he's been defending GeneX since effortposting started and only engaged me after I pointed out a mistake that made me more suspicious of him

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

They, sorry, don' wanna assume anything here, mb

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

flerp posted:

??????

i asked if gene's vote was serious because it came at like the start of the day, during joke phase, and had no clue if it was 4 real or not. and then you decided to vote for gene (when you made a fuss about how you werent going to vote for them) because they said baseball instead of football and like that reasoning makes no sense to me.

The reasoning being that Gene said he 'recognized me' from the Super-League thread which as a poster there I know is pretty insular by nature and not an actual 'popular' LP despite the posting volume, and if he was lurking there then calling it a byproduct of the 'Factory of Sadness' makes no sense because it's baseball and has no connection to cleveland sports, let alone cleveland football, like at all. So it read as a misguided attempt to back up his claim of having recognized me before.

That's why I decided to vote him after I was holding off, because that felt like a big screw-up to me that wouldn't have gone noticed by anyone else in the thread.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Hence my big comment about how I thought he was just skimming my posting history (which is overwhelmingly that thread by my own admission) for an easy way to back down from his early vote. It didn't read to me as legitimate at all.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Ok Gene's legit. It's good we cleared that up. I hate going to meta-theories. ##unvote

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Watch Gene and Mona be scum and they fabricated all of this, lol

hosed up if true

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Hal's initial response didn't immediately read to me like he was actually agreeing with Gene's reasoning, and more jokeposting about how it wasn't an actual defense at the time at all, personally. The change from the joke to the actual considered response is weird but not entirely unwarranted.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

That's my take on it at least.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

CCKeane posted:

Who are your top three you're most suspicious of Mona? I'm not going to vote you today.

Hey Keane, you still over there buddy, what's your opinions. You asked me mine at the time (they've since changed a bit but I don't want to play those out yet) and I never got your thoughts.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

CCKeane posted:

My dude, and the game in general: I am not going to be available to respond immediately and expecting someone to be omnipresent in a game is pretty silly.

That said I'd go quid right now, but I'm VERY curious to see your answers~~~

That's fine! I wasn't trying to call you out for lurking, sorry if it came off that way.

Anyway, some miscellaneous thoughts.

I think my biggest suspicions right now....

- I'm much more inclined to think of Asiina because of a lack of presence for what is nearly a whole 24 hours but I'm not gonna go for lurker bait twice in one post, so I'm willing to give a little (but not much) leeway
- I have no clue where flerp stands. I can't tell if he's playing aggressive just cause that's his style or if he's trying to do some 'being so aggressive to double bluff people off thinking he's scum' nonsense.
- Speaking of aggressive, I'm slowly coming around to the idea of YPM biting off way more than should be reasonable, but again, unsure how much of that is playing style and how much of it is puffed up scumhunting for appearances sake.
- I'm honestly seriously feeling a No Lynch D1 because I don't think any conclusions reached in the first day are going to be at all convincing of the greater majority and Town should still be at an advantage even if one of us goes down overnight.

And in fact I feel strong enough about that last bit to go for it so

##vote nolynch

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I will once again reiterate I'm not scum, just bad. There's probably a lot of bad readings on my part, which is admittedly. I didn't realize how long D1 could go on for (as I said, last time I did a Goon Game it was 2 years ago and I vaguely recall being useless there for role-related reasons).

I'm glad you're here in the thread now, though. I'll admit I made myself look awful and that my defenses would be at best sloppy. I'm probably trying too hard and should just step away for a little bit, I think I'm in the trap of trying to solve the game as quickly as possible.

##unvote

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Hal Incandenza posted:

Sorry when is deadline here. I got called into work today and now I just found out I have to fly to Montana so I am leaving for the airport but Iím going to try and get thoughts in before my flight

Deadline is Midnight EST tonight.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Mona I liked for town but they have basically vanished after Keane dropped his gotcha so that is probably pretty telling.

To -attempt- to defend myself here, I realized very quickly that if I tried to talk myself through that situation at the time, I almost definitely would have been hammered on as I realized how little sense I was making with all the accusations being thrown around (including the ones on me, which I honestly can't defend because I was acting pretty stupid)

I spent yesterday mostly looking at the other people discussing the thread to see if there was anything I could put together if I removed myself from the equation for a little bit. I'm still having a hard time determining people who are for real shady but I I have at least one strong conviction I'll probably vote on here i na moment after I re-read everything.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

CCKeane posted:

For what it worth, you seem like a good poster and I really hope nothing here discourages you from playing - unfortunately a nine player game discourages freebies and I feel like I kind of have to vote the player I think is scummiest.

Please keep playing and I really hope you stay with the community.

No worries! I'm going to reiterate that I'm not scum but you did get me in a legitimate gotcha which threw me off, and I realized very quickly I would just be digging a deeper grave for myself if I tried to explain my actions. Backing off, even though it doesn't necessarily make me less suspicious, was the wisest course of action to me instead of saying something even dumber.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

GeneX posted:

Monaís been the main discussion point of everyone not named YPM, and Asiina voted for him with an okay D1 case that I disagree with mostly due to gut feel from Monaís posts (specifically, that his aggressive attempt to catch me in a lie and his post voting for no lynch stem from naivety more than scum intent.)

For the record this was basically where I was at on the first day of D1. I hadn't quite read the actual timer at the time and so I was way more hasty. I'm admittedly not used to days going for so long.

Now for an actual talk/an accusation:

- I disagree with Gene about the idea that YPM and Quid aren't both town-aligned. I think they're both doing similar things in different ways in terms of making Day 1 cases and they're arguing, but I don't think either are making 'fake cases' for the sake of presuming town.
- I feel better about Asiina after the collaboration with Keane in dunking me, because it was a pretty easy conclusion at that point.

Quidthulhu posted:

Maybe flerp is bad.

I'm actually going to try and make a case here, since I'd rather try and make my own contribution to the game then bandwagon on Quid's theory about Hal (which I feel is this more solid of the reads going around):

flerp was posting a lot on D1, and notably felt bad about voting me, but then didn't turn against me when I was making constantly scummy posts, going quiet after Quid and YPM had their little tussle and not reappearing afterwards. I feel like with how awful my behavior was I should have probably gotten lynched, but my gut instinct is that flerp was going to let me hang out to dry, and either hope I was a D1 mislynch, or, if I wasn't that my continued survival would throw off more scum behavior. With how many people were active in the thread (even with Gene defending me), I shouldn't have had a chance in hell of getting out of that without a hammer vote if flerp was trying to legitimately go town - it would have been an easy thing to jump on after both Keane and Asiina made their reads on me.

I'm going to join Quid and ##vote Hal due to their weird conflict on Keane and Asiina's dunks on me, but tl;dr I think flerp should have either voted me or defended me and instead vanished hoping I'd get hammered without them having to stick their neck out.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I hosed that entire quote up, sorry.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I mean, I don't think anyone thought I was scummy from the Gene case, more the series of idiot posts after that.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

So it goes. Farewell, thread.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I honestly didn't expect to live through the night, I figured there would have been enough people to hammer me near the end of the day with Hal coming in.

I suppose I could have been the deciding vote on myself but I've always sort of considered that kind of a dick move in the other groups I've played with.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Also I still think flerp is kinda shady, his come-lately defense after I brought him up at the end of D1 didn't really address any of my own suspicions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Your Personal Muse posted:

I meant to ask, why do you concede that your posts were scummy?

I was jumping back and forth on a lot of points, which came off as being very shifty-stanced (which in my mind is a real hint of being scummy, not just changing mind, but going back and forth repeatedly), in addition to inadvertently (sorry, Keane!) trying to play Spot The Lurker.

After I got called out by Keane/Asiina, I dropped out for a day, which doesn't do much to make myself seem -less- shady since you could say the same thing happens to a scum who goes quiet when out-foxed, but I did it mostly to see where things stood when I wasn't in the heat of the moment conversation.

• Locked thread