Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Your Personal Muse posted:

Why do you think scum jump back and forth on their reads?

Personally, I think scum will waffle much more on a vote, refusing to commit their thoughts one way or another. I was doing a lot of this when I was jumping back and forth between flerp (who I am much more convinced at this moment is scummy) to Asiina (who cleared my suspicious with a thorough counter-dunk), add to that some mistakes on my part (for example, I thought D1 would progress much faster than it actually did and wasn't looking at votefinder's deadline at the time), and I can see an easy case for me being scummy.

I will admit I don't necessarily think a NL on Day 1 in a 9-person game is sub-optimal/as shady (which came up in Asiina's read), but that's personally how I prefer to play the game. I hate mislynching someone because that feels like a big personal fuckup on my part, and I tend to err more on D1 lynches hurting town more than helping in the majority of cases.

That isn't how people play it here, and I realized arguing my point at the time would have probably just made me look more suspicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Your Personal Muse posted:

You certainly are crazy self aware about your posting. I also don’t agree with your presumption that waffling people are scummy, since it’s much easier for scum to know alignment, since, you know, they’re scum. It makes me think that the only reason you think it’s scummy is because you yourself are scum.

I mean, I guess? I had a day to look over my posts and could reasonably see the case being made against me even if it wasn't the -correct- case.

And I mean, of course scum know everyone's alignment, being scum, but I'd argue that makes the waffling more apparent. Scum know that anyone they attach to is in fact, town, but don't want to be caught trying to push a case on someone who later seems more townie because that will draw suspicion towards them. So they hedge bets, try and make 'reads' without saying anything of major substance (aka 'looks scummy'), or make multiple small reads that read like they're trying to make a case on a lot of people at once. It's all in the act of not letting people know how much they actually know. Sure, you'll get scum who go whole hog in setups and be brazen about their fake reads, but I'd argue those that go that route are more the exception rather than the rule.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

GeneX posted:

Monathin, what are your thoughts on any given 3 people here?

I'm about to head to bed, but I'll put down some thoughts for posterity after reading back through the end of the first day.

- I'm still fairly convince YPM is town. They don't seem to be playing around in any measure of scumhunting, and are grinning people pretty well within margins.
- My thoughts on Quid are similar, but slipping perhaps into a little bit more unsure territory, more on that with my actual "fairly confident" reads, which are:
- My current gut feeling is that Flerp and Hal are both scum. They've both been on the fringes of discussion but haven't contributed to it in any meaningful way, and have not answered questions/suspicions asked by myself or Quid with what I feel are satisfactory answers, and I feel as though Quid's case on Hal is still probably the strongest scumread we've got.
- The way Quid's acting right now has me much more uneasy. If Hal isn't scum, I'd be much more inclined to think Quid is.

So I guess if we're gonna lay votes on the table I'd go Flerp, Hal, Quid in that order, unless other people are echoing my hunches on the "Hal OR Quid are scum, but not both" camp.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grilling, not grinning, words are hard.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hal Incandenza posted:

LOL quids case that I supposedly was inconsistent on my read of you?

More specifically that you were inconsistent on not liking Keane's read on me vs Asiina's read on me when they were literally The Same Exact Read, but yes.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'd say I'm not entirely convinced of the case on Gene, but I feel like if Gene's not gonna make an attempt to defend when he was willing to defend my attempt to catch him out in a lie, then I feel like the case sort of makes itself.

##vote GeneX

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

We lose with a mislynch, right? So yeah, should probably try and go slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I think it's because YPM was leading the town discussion, so they're hoping for a mislynch.

After the combo of Gene and YPM though, Quid, I'm not exactly certain you are anymore, but I still think Flerp is shadier or, if not shady, then lurking far too much when we're down to mislynch and lose.

• Locked thread