Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

I’ll replace if/when someone in this 9 person game decides to be a dork and go AWOL

Or I guess join if the game somehow doesn’t fill up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

I'm jewish, why should I care about saving your goyishe holiday?

but I'm unfortunately town so I guess I have to try, and that starts by

##vote Monathin

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

CCKeane posted:

I am Jesus Christ, so think about how *I* feel. Everybody else gets presents.

jesus, dude, don't fullclaim on d1

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hal Incandenza posted:

Are you counterclaiming?

I already soft-claimed jesus by saying I was jewish in this christmas themed game, so yes, 100%

my nonexistant role pm was the entirety of the gospel of matthew with "you're town" at the bottom

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

impressive reasoning

the problem is this: it's wrong

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I'm not new, I just kept forgetting that this sub-subforum existed

Voting for people is good even if you don't want them lynched right now, so while I could read the multiple cases of "I think Gene's suspicious but I won't vote for him" as a kind of weak statement of position to set up something in the future, I'll instead chalk it up to cultural differences

also 3 people did it and this is an open setup with 2 scum, so

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

flerp posted:

was gene's vote even serious?

I recognized Monathin's name from the super league threads in LP and voted accordingly

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Monathin posted:

Don't bring my love of fantasy fantasy baseball into this!

nothing good can come from the super league, an offshoot facility of the factory of sadness in cleveland

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Monathin, my dude, I was watching when smasher did his LP where he brought the cubs a WS title in 2003 and then abandoned the '93 phillies in favor of the goon baseball league (unless that was the first mogul LP with The Machine, I forget).

I remember Bruzer, Marauder (from the doppel-bangers to the syndicate), Smasher shamefully admitting to being a Packers and Cubs fan, and Smasher's constant, played up misery...which is why I used the turn of phrase I did, since "inputs hope and outputs depression" is best summed up by Mike Polk's Browns joke.

like, I get that you're trying to find a reason to vote for me, and that's fine, but don't you dare besmirch my lurking this site since mid-2010

Anyway, if this kerfuffle is giving me anything:
- iffy vibes about YPM (pressure to get out of RVS is good, the case in particular is flimsy, but, again, trying to escape RVS)
-good thoughts on Quid with the caveat that this is the easiest part of the game for scum to fake analysis in
-good thoughts on Monathin because that feels like him trying to catch me in a lie as opposed to YPM's deep read on my claiming to be the son of god, but it's really just a start and he is going after town, so...
-no real read on flerp because this could be scum buddying up to town as easily as it could be him ensuring the primacy of jokes
-A desire to know whether Asiina pokes people's cases like this very often
-A look of suspicion sent CCKeane's way for dropping in to ask Mona a question then dropping right back out

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Your Personal Muse posted:

What the gently caress is an RVS

random vote stage

I've been playing forums mafia for about 7 years, just...not here

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

That sure was a slapfight over D1 pressuring people for the sake of mediocre reads, yup.

nice to know that while either of you might be scum, you probably aren't both scum

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

You continue to amaze

I try my best, friend

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

CCKeane posted:

Like GeneX made a post about me disappearing less than two hours after my previous post. Come on now.

fair enough, sorry about that

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I should probably take my jokephase vote of off someone I think is overzealous town, huh

Hey, ##vote Hal get in here and talk. No rush, because I’m done using my brain for the night, but give me thoughts on Quid, Asiina, Monathin, and the interactions between all three

Still feeling iffy about YPM but more than just reading “these two are not knowingly coaligned” into the chat b/w him and Quid, the level of effort expended by both in arguing about this stuff when they could have easily disengaged puts them, if not in my good books, at least not on the naughty list.

I don’t personally know what to think of Asiina but while poking everything can be bad, she seems to be poking at actually questionable things which is the opposite of bad

I have no idea what to think of flerp, and I like Keane’s vote but not the lack of much else besides staring menacingly at Monathin and his list of evildoers

Normally I’d skip most of this and keep it in a private doc but screw it, 9 person game, I’ll be lazy and think out loud

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mafia edit:

Wait that’s just 7 people + me

Is bowmore actually intending to play this game??

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Busy

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Quidthulhu posted:

Hey Gene, how come you didn't move your vote to bowmore if your intent in voting Hal was to get him to talk? Your effort post is really a whole lot of nothing, just some game summary and some "well maybes but maybe nots," and it seems to me if the only thing you're really committing to now is stirring up the people not here you dropping that realization should have included a vote. I could make an argument of you setting up a potential bus of your absent scum buddy with that so what's the dealio

Someone doing literally nothing in the game - potentially to the point of not even following the thread - isn’t gonna be affected by a vote more than a less mechanical poke/third person question of intent.

Hal was around enough that he’d likely see the vote, and ideally my request for comment immediately following.

Not sure how putting suspicions and reads out, with my reasoning listed alongside, is somehow being reduced to meaningless noise though.

Like, do you want it in bullet point form? Are you trying to claim that nothing I said involved subjectivity? Because I’m pretty sure reads based on analysis of events sorta requires you to look at events, and I figured I’d put that minor analysis out there instead of reducing things to 8 bullet points or a bare read list.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mafia Edit:

Oh, wait, did you mean “your reads are weak and equivocating”? Because my response there is: of course they are, it’s D1 and I don’t currently have strong reads besides the lack of knowing coalignment between you and YPM.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hal Incandenza posted:

This seems like a strange group to lump together.

I think Asiina's vote on Mona makes me feel pretty good about her. I don't think she would fake a case on a new player on D1 and even if I don't agree with everything she's said I can see where she is coming from. Would also like to see what is being knit.

Mona I am having a hard time discerning if it's awkward new player or struggling scum. Not a lot to like in the posting so far

Quid seems pretty town so far to me, he's doing typical Quid stuff

Yeah, it’s an eclectic bunch.

Quid called for Asiina’s aid after flailing at YPM (and YPM getting mad at me for posting thoughts here instead of, like, a word document) so I was wondering if you saw something there; I didn’t, for the record, but Asiina’s usertitle is a riff on your username so I figured you’d have the meta-knowledge I lack.

Mona’s been the main discussion point of everyone not named YPM, and Asiina voted for him with an okay D1 case that I disagree with mostly due to gut feel from Mona’s posts (specifically, that his aggressive attempt to catch me in a lie and his post voting for no lynch stem from naivety more than scum intent.)

Quid’s posting a lot and seemingly critical of some criticism of Monathin, but that link I’m trying to figure out is tenuous at best.

Oh and ##vote CCKeane: gimme your thoughts on Asiina, Quid, YPM, and flerp, most importantly the latter three. You said, if I’m parsing right, that you thought Quid was suspicious, then dropped him out when you listed Monathin, YPM, and Flerp as your current thoughts of possible scum. Any follow up?

As a side note: I want to lynch bowmore at dayend if he doesn’t do anything

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Friend, just because I want to brutally murder you and watch the life drain from your face, it doesn’t mean that I am mad at you, just disappointed

Fine, fine, let’s replace that line with “and YPM, who would greatly prefer, for my own sake, that I keep my less perceptive thoughts to myself”.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Also, your votes are useless. You let the targets know, in the same sentence, that they aren’t real votes and you are just trying to get them in here.

Yup.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

CCKeane posted:

I mean, Quid was pretty much a throw away suggestion and I do have a strong bad feeling against Mona, so of course my cases are going to be focused on them (Hal while I get your point, and it's taken, I do think a game of 9 is significantly different than a game of 15, so I'm less inclined to give anybody a ride.)

YPM reads better now, Hal reads fine. Asiina is fine too. Point on Flerp stands.

Can I ask why you wouldn't vote bowmore? I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Leaving my vote on a dude that is questionably even reading the thread doesn’t do much; I want him gone as a “gently caress lurkers(as in, actual lurkers, not people just busy irl)” policy thing, but if I’m voting for him I lose the ability to add that weight to my words and requests for clarification.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

##vote Monathin

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I suppose I’ll be the one to rhetorically ask why on earth scum decided to gank the potential modkill.

They might just have wanted to deny info to town, though if I speculate a bit, there might be an additional possibility of them liking how discussion was going and thus not wanting to mess with it; there could be yet another wine level on top of that, with them expecting this response, but I feel like going that deep isn’t/wouldn’t be worth murdering a nobody

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mafia edit: I guess they could also just be being nice to everyone

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

D1 lynches are good because usually you can get info from the flip and then work backwards from it: knowing person X is scum, for instance, can make person Y’s singleminded driving of the lynch on them look much better (because turbobussing someone not under suspicion is generally bad scumplay).

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

So...does anyone have any thoughts? At all?

I guess I'll ask some questions.

Quid, what are your thoughts on YPM after arguing with him on and off for a lot of D1?

Asiina, you just kinda went away; anything to add about people that aren't Monathin?

Flerp, you've been hanging out on the margins, what do you think of Quid, YPM, Keane, and Monathin?

Monathin, what are your thoughts on any given 3 people here?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

You see what you want to see.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Quidthulhu posted:

What? Are you actually standing behind those quotes I posted as "good reads?" Yesterday your defense was "it's D1 of course they're wishywashy," so why isn't that what you're returning to?

Because I fundamentally don't respect the argument that what limited thoughts I expressed yesterday, hesitant and cautious though they might be, are valueless.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mafia edit:

More specifically, it sure looks like you and YPM are bouncing between "hasn't provided anything of value" and "is hesitant to conclude anything, but has given thoughts", which are pretty obviously contradictory reasons to vote for someone.

I would rather see what comes of this than try to argue against conflicting reasons to vote for me.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

As I said, I really don't intend to argue about this.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Well, it wasn't a defense. It was the exact opposite of one, in fact!

My current best guess is you and Keane. I think you're deliberately misrepresenting what I'm doing and saying while jumping on YPM's coattails, and I think Keane's general terseness is hiding the fact that he hasn't actually done much other than post reads (and poke Mona).

Asiina had an interesting post on Mona (+scattered others) that I like but don't really agree with bits of; her lack of other participation is apparently due to IRL stuff, so while I'd like more from her in general, what I've seen generally makes sense (it's logically consistent and from a viewpoint I can understand). That's townplay.

Hal is...there. He's participating, but I honestly don't have much of a read on him at all. He's mostly posted when addressed and, uh, not much otherwise, so I guess I'd lean him scumwards.

YPM has had a hard-on for lynching me from jokephase on, which...ok. I guess it could be some kind of scum drive to lynch town, but it sure looks to me like he's got it in his head that I'm scum and nothing but my eventual/potential town flip will change that. That kind of behavior does not seem like a scum thing at all, and I'd be honestly shocked if he was.

Monathin still reads to me like overzealous town based on how he jumped on me so quickly, though the retreat into abasing himself and his play kinda feels like new scum bashing themselves to make town think better of them. Wouldn't lynch him right now, but I could see him being scum.

Flerp hasn't posted much, but I've agreed in general with what little he has said. The latter makes me feel good about him, the frontside a bit worse. Overall, though, probably town.

If I had to actually rank people, from scum to town:

Quid
Keane
Hal
Mona
Flerp
Asiina
YPM
Me

One last thing I'll say about your case: maybe my "wishy-washy" reads are really me posting everything I'm considering about people, refusing to condense it into "he scum/he town" so that other people can actually consider my reasoning alongside my point. If I don't actually have strong reads, I'd rather say that than lie.

I suppose I'll ##vote Quidthulhu, then, even if I'm not expecting much of it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I would argue that making one reasonably solid vote, posting “I think these dudes are town and these orher dudes are scum”, and pretty much nothing else is maybe the bare minimum one can do without basically just lurking.

Like, where’s the reasoning? The questioning of others? The follow-up on the vote? There’s a lot more that can be done during the day, and giving as little as possible for others to work with is frankly good scum strategy and poor town play.

I dunno, I’m starting to think this is a whole bunch of culture shock.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I, too, am unable to distinguish between “people do good things and bad things, but on balance, they’re X” and “refusing to commit”.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Except you provide equivocations for the individual actions, not just the alignments. There is a difference between
"Boy I don't know about that Hal, he did kick that puppy but he also once held the door open for me, I think he's probably town"

vs

Boy I don't know about that Hal, he kicked a puppy which could be scummy depending on if the dog has ever hurt anyone in the past but also it's a dog so it's scummy, and he also held the door open for me which might be scummy if he was going to close it really fast hitting me in the butt but just missed, but he's probably town"

One gives clear insight into your thought process, the other is just you barfing every possible scenario and coming to an arbitrary conclusion

The problem is that the second thing is my thought process, and I'm laying it out so that other people can examine each individual bit of it, but thanks, now I actually get where you're coming from.

Like, sincerely. Even though you're barking up the wrong tree, I can actually see why you think what you do now.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I suppose I’ll be validated in death.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I feel like there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what I've done and do, and that it's more or less pointless to argue against the case made, since it would require me to renounce how I play, and have successfully played, the game of forums mafia.

I really want to know YPM's deal in postgame though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mafia Edit: we have 8 alive, I'm pretty sure we're at H-1, not H-2.

I'm not gonna self-vote out of common courtesy, but I'll do it if we'd otherwise no lynch so I'm not an easy target tomorrow. No point in giving scum 2 NKs+a mislynch when we can give them just the one NK.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mafia Edit 2:

Oh, YPM isn't voting for me. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Quidthulhu posted:

Where is this mythical off-site place you play, Gene, I'm very curious about a lot of your colloquialisms

Well, multiple places. Played a bunch back on the MSPA forums when I was a young 'un and way too into homestuck, migrated to a few of the offsites from that when its games subforum got nuked, and most recently played a manual game at Mafia Universe.

Also, love you too, YPM. Didn't intend to throw shade, though the "interesting" is indeed a bit much. (I predict that you'll read this as me trying to get back on a potential good side of yours, but no, it really isn't.)

• Locked thread