Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 9:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x x o o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 10:00 Ammo


I do not reply to the monster - I did not know that it would speak, but if it must, then it will speak only lies. My mantra is for myself, to remind myself of my purpose. "I am a knight of OLYMPOS. I descended to the corrupted Earth beneath the cursed Sky on a pillar of fire. I was Chosen to open the path home from Exile." I insert the key into the firing console and turn it. "I am the sword of Reclamation."

As I speak, maneuver again, getting a clear angle and preparing to fire. "GJALLARHORN beacon active," the AI intones. "MJOLNIR charge at 90%." The shroud unfolds to reveal the MJOLNIR's targeting system, a brilliant point of scintillating light impossible to focus on. The resolution and saturation of the AR overlay drops. "Local electromagnetic interference increasing. Charge at 96%. S-s-switching to analogue backup." The last word is distorted and choppy as the beacon pulls the weapon onto target. The controls go sluggish and heavy, but I am prepared for this.

As the display fades out, I can see the mechanical indicators behind them, all showing green save for the firing solution. A simple unity scope gives me a clear view outside as the cameras flicker in and out. The AI continues, becoming increasingly unintelligible. "Charge at 99%. 99.7%. 100.3% "As I watch, the targeting indicator flips from yellow STANDBY to green READY with a metallic snap. "MJOLNIR *static* 102%" The geared timer clicks down to 10, 9, 8 as I flip the cover off the heavy firing switch. "MJOLNIR char*static* at 103.3333333-" I throw the switch.

For a moment there's nothing. Just the monster coming for me, wary of the beacon but intent on my destruction.

Then a broken ray of light appears, rising up from the ground behind ECHIDNA towards the sky, in disconnected sections. Particles like embers from a fire appear and then fade. It's beautiful, almost peaceful. And then the counter hits zero and every one of the indicators flip from green to red with a sound like a hatch slamming. FIRING.

The ray is merely the final targeting, a carrier for the true weapon. A terrible light appears behind the clouds above, like a second sun, and the scattered ray snaps into focus. A terrible scream, a sound of no living thing, fills my head, blanking out thought and fear and self. And then it hits. It should be invisible. But I can still see it, see the beam strike, something beyond mere force, inimical to existence itself. The protective cover slams shut on the sight just before the explosion.

The blastwave knocks even my walking suit back. For a moment everything goes dark as the systems crash and even the emergency lights fail. But then the alarms are back as the indicators flip to STANDBY again and the timer resets. The AI says something unintelligible. "Repeat," I say, or try to. The word is gibberish to my own ears. Still, there's a response. "F-f-f-f-firing sequence complete. Recharging. Recharging. MJOLNIR charge at 4%. 666 seconds to full charge. Capacitor charge at 200% and falling, emergency followup shot available in 13 seconds."

The screens are struggling to come back up, so I reach out and manually open the sight cover again, praying to the gods that it was enough.

MJOLNIR (8-harm far area messy)
@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 Seize by Force = (2+2)+2+1 = 7
• You inflict terrible harm (+1harm).
• You take definite and undeniable control of it.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 23, 2018 around 16:53

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

the cyberpunk dystopia is now
you are not the runner


Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 2-barter | x x o o >>

I'm about to key the tac to let SKADI know we've reached the estimated minimum safe distance, but as I turn, I see the sky sizzle and open. She didn't wait. Good. "Get down," I drily command, but I don't know if Mother Rust or Rather or really, anyone is even listening. I'm not sure it matters. There's a younger one here, too, and I bring them in and shield their face. "We are all humans in the face of cleansing fire," and mish-mashing my religious references, I continue, "with the storm winds of the south, God's Hand is manifest."

And seconds later, we are all blinded with light, and then there is darkness. Perhaps on the other side of the shockwave, there will some brief peace.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe


Scarlet
The beast redoubles its thrashing as you cut into its remaining eye, throwing its head into the trees with abandon. You’re able to maintain your grip on a tuft of hair, but you perch is rapidly becoming unworkable. The Destroyer has also begun moving erratically through the swamp in its blind pain. While its currently not moving towards Waterway, its hard to predict where it may wheel to next.
(The Destroyer is now at 2-harm and is blind.)


SKADI
(Exchange of harm: ECHIDNA Takes 9-harm vs 0-armor, destruction. Heracles takes 5-harm vs 2-armor, 3 harm and 2-harm blows through to SKADI)

Your sight cover open just in time for a wave of blue-white flame engulfs [i]Heracles
. You struggle to bring it to bear as several panels explode under the strain, singeing you and setting off cockpit fires.

But that is the last gasp of the Jotun, you can see through the clearing smoke that the metal body it built for itself lays shattered before you. You can hear the faint voice of the Vala calling your callsign worriedly, pleading to give them a status report. In the distance, a lone bit of remaining superstructure topples over in the Revenant settlement, and crude fosfuel gushes into the air.


Lombardi
The Dox and other Works-folk hunker down as well, many praying to the Saints and other various gods. The light is bad, bleeding through even tightly closed eyes. But oddly enough, there’s no physical shockwave, aside from the rumble of tons of metal falling to pieces a mile away.

But a subtle pressure builds within those huddled around around you, more and more crying out in pain. Until you feel a small hand on your shoulder, icey cold to the touch. Its NQMM, resolute expression on her face and electricity in her hair. Before you can say anything, you feel HATERAGEANGERHATEKILLYOUKILLCONSUMEHATE something flow from the crowd, through her, and into you, only to vanish. After a moment the feeling fades and she gives you a weak smile.

“Well, that was unpleasant. Lucky for us you’re such a nelly. Ninny.” Confusion spreads across her face. “Nincom-, nul- n-n-n-n-” Her eyes roll back in their sockets and she collapses, convulsing in the dirt.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 2:00 Harm | 9:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x x o o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 10:00 Ammo


"Loki's tits," I curse as every alarm in the Heracles goes off at once. I slap the switches for the fire suppression and get a face full of the inert foam. At least it smothers the fires more than it does me. A scrabble blindly across the control panel for the MASTER ALARM switch finally brings quiet back into the cockpit.

"Vala, SKADI. Moderate damage, sensors down, AI assist down. Visual confirmation of direct hit on target, good effect on target. Repeat, direct hit, good effect. Visual assessment - target neutralized. Requesting instrument confirmation of target neutralized."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Cool=0| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 6:00| 1-armor | XP: 2/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| 1-armor

She's blinded it. Mother's mercy, against any notion of what is possible and what is not, Scarlet is actually holding her own against a Destroyer. I choose to focus on how to give her tactical support without having my people butchered, instead of the warmth that I'm feeling in the depths of my chest. Yep, totally ignoring that.

"Okay people, I want you to fan out. Keep your distance, but approach the creature from multiple angles. Take pot shots at it, keep it distracted from Scarlet. Let her do her job."

Her job. As if I had hired to take on a Destroyer. Can you put a price on something like that?

quote:

Got a 7 on my help roll, so Scarlet gets a +1 on her next roll.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 6:00 | XP: 4/5 | Barter: 5

I hold on tight, feeling my feet barely managing to keep on the Destroyer as it stomps around. Blinding it is a good start, but there has to be more. As I move to grab the hair to help me stay on I brush past the grenades I got from Vaya.

That's it.

I use my free hand to pull one out, and then bring it up to my other hand and use a finger to pull the pin. I keep the lever closed, until the Destroyer opens its mouth as Vaya's people fire on it. Then I throw it in - aiming to get it into the throat.

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+4 Do Something Under Fire = (4+3)+4 = 11
Includes +1 from Vaya's help
Marking XP for rolling Cool, will pick an advance later

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe


Scarlet and Vaya
Vaya, your boiz do you proud. Dodging and weaving around the huge beast’s legs, keeping it distracted with only minor digs and scraps to them and their vehicles. Which is just the opening you need Scarlet, as the Destroyer steadies itself in order to stomp a truk you swing the bag of grenades into its roaring mouth.

It arcs inside cleanly, and for a moment you think that it was a dud. Then a great gout of blood explodes out of side of the beast’s muzzle, carrying one of its great tusks with it. Like its strings have been cut, the monster collapses boneless to the ground. You’re thrown well clear Scarlet, a bit rumpled but its better than being crushed under the bulk.

The beast still breathes, but its wounds wounds would be lethal on a lesser animal. But can a Destroyer bleed out?


SKADI
There’s silence on the line for a disturbingly long time, broken only by the pops of solar flares and the clacking of the Vala’s keyboard. Then her voice, full of wonder and pride.

“Sensor analysis: JOTUNN energies absent - confirmed kill! ASGARD confirms results, declares for Beachhead Protocol. Matrix Stabilizer arrival in T-minus 5 hours from mark. Mark.”

You’ve done it, you’ve killed one (if not THE) Jotunn. And beyond that, your commanders have decided to use this locale as a staging area for further missions. Reclamation is at hand!


Lombardi
There’s scattered sobbing and movement amongst your band of survivors, but your attention is focused on the small form before you, twitching and moaning softly. Motion (closetooclose) catches you eye and your hand goes to your rifle. Its Mother Rust, looking much older than she did at the beginning of the RokOff. She holds her hands out non-threateningly and nods to NQMM.
“Your daughter-kin’s Voice sings two Songs. Dangerous under the best of concerts, and this ain’t that. A skilled Solo could draw out one of the Songs, let the other be. The question would be which one, perhaps.”

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 6:00 | XP: 0+1/5 | Barter: 5

Taking Dangerous and Sexy for my advance

I hit the ground hard, a couple of gasps of air knocked out. I slowly get up on my feet and look. I look at the Destroyer, bleeding all over the ground as it lays defeated. The lack of colors means that surely, it will die soon. I begin walking to Gonegirl. The color is still there, but faded somewhat. I bend down, landing on my knees. I look for what I can do - but these are burns and bad ones. She'll live through this fight - but for how long after? I hold her head and begin to open my mind again and that's when I notice my hand glowing and the glowing transferring to Gonegirl and the fading of color everywhere and the area around us becoming...strange, and-

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+2 Healing Touch = (5+4)+2 = 11
Marking XP for rolling Weird
Gonegirl heals 1 segment of her harm clock


and she's...fine? Well no. But better. I can only stare in wonderment and confusion at what just happened.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

the cyberpunk dystopia is now
you are not the runner


Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 2-barter | x x o o >>

"We're alive, more or less. I think you actually got it, SKADI." Things are going to be different from here on out, not that I've exactly been living in a status-quo situation for a while. "Stay safe. You know how to reach me." And I let the young soldier go, for now. Our paths will most certainly cross again. But now there's an entire refugee group that I and Mother Rust are looking out for. Wandering in the wilderness, as it were. NQMM collapses, and my thoughts race. There's a medbay in the Facility, but I don't even really know how to use it. Mother Rust offers her solution. I consider all I've seen in the past week or so. The pressure is high, and yet. "I trust you, Mother Rust. What do you need from me?" She's right, of course. That was Mar-Mar, and then it was Tammy. "I don't want to lose either of them, but." I get it. "Keeping both here isn't an option." I gesture to the girl's form, where thankfully a few Dox and Choir have gotten her wrapped in a thick shirt; not much but it's what we have now.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 6:00 Harm | 9:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x x o o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 9:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 10:00 Ammo


"Copy all, Control. Beachhead acknowledge. Reclamation begins," I reply, exhaustion suddenly flooding in. I had expected to be as exultant as those I can hear over the channel, but celebration is the furthest thing from my mind. "Be aware, threat matrix earthside is complex. Friendly EINHERJAR and Revenants in area. Hostile SVARTALFAR and Revents may still be present as well. Valkyrie NJORD is confirmed KIA, I have recovered his jack. Awaiting further instruction."

A different transmission comes in, and I switch channels for a moment. "Acknowledged, EINHERJAR Lombardi. The JOTUNN is slain, praise the Ancestors. Until we meet again." I engage the still balky controls and move to recover NJORD's suit. After that, I need to secure the strange artifact from before, the THRONE OF WANT. Today is a day of triumph, but many questions remain.

Their answers will have to wait until I have a chance to sleep and make repairs, though.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jan 30, 2019 around 01:31

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Cool=0| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 6:00| 1-armor | XP: 2/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| 1-armor

The Destroyer is dying.
The thing is, 'dying' doesn't mean 'dead'. I don't trust this thing to stay down unless we MAKE it stay down.
"Everyone, surround the beast! Keep your distance, and then, fire at will! I don't want it getting back up and thrashing around!"

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe


Lombardi
“I need…” She sighs, and motions towards the wreckage that was once The Works. “I need to be remembered, Saint. The crazytrain is getting a new track, and I’ve been around long enough to see power when I see it. When you’re putting the pieces back together again, I want a place at the table. I don’t need a crown, that verse is over. Just remember me when you build your tabernacle and its choir. Deal?”


Scarlet
Gonegirl takes a deep shuddering breath on the crude travois her fellow boiz had fashioned for her and opens her eyes. There’s pain there, sure. But awestruck wonder is there too, and it grows as her breathing evens out. Tears stream from her eyes as she clutches at your hand, mouthing thank you over and over again.

Touching, yes. But there’s also that cold voice in the back of your head that wonders, just how much do you get paid for killing a Destroyer?


Vaya
Your boiz pour lead into the great beast’s carcass for far longer than is probably necessary, but is there really any such thing as overkill when it comes to something that ate the old world? But at last the fire dies down and there’s a tense lull. But the Destroyer doesn’t move, and then the whopping begins.

Its the rush of knowing you’ve survived to live another day, and it lifts you up too. Not as high as when several of your boiz pick you up and toss you into the air, but you heart is lighter than it was this morning. And that counts for something, right?


SKADI
Both NJORD’s jack and the THRONE OF WANT are where you left them, only a bit of dust and dirt marking their survival of the events of today. But even though your resupply request has been approved, your mission log continues to expand.

The Valkyrie's duty is never done it seems...


+++
Many died today, but perhaps more lived than would have if you weren’t here to put your shoulder against the wheel. Rest now, and be refreshed.

(End of Session)

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe


A new day dawns…

But not an entirely pleasant day. With the poo poo-canning of the Works, supplies of guz and burn-juice have dropped severely across the Valley. Making matters worse, a cluster of assholes calling themselves ‘Beachhead’ have claimed the ruins for themselves and have thwarted any attempt to rebuild. Additionally, while Folly were shithead slavers, they were also a steady supply of lux and hitech which has evaporated since its fall.

Parts and fuels are running low, but fret not. Your friendly Stockards Ciate is here to sign you up with a fancy-dancy new supply contract! Don’t worry if you can’t read it, just make your mark on the dotted line and everything will be fine!


Lombardi
Exodus. That’s what you’ve done, isn’t it? Granted 30 klicks is alot less than 40 years, but you’ve lead your people out of the wastes just the same. If it had just been you, you may have made a stand against the mob of OLYMPOS assholes that showed up a few hours after poo poo went down. But it wasn’t just you, and its not like you didn’t have a fortress of your own, isn’t it?

While most of the Dox refused to enter due to the curse, it seems that Stasis’ security system has calmed down. You’re able to tag folks for entry now, which has made caring for your wounded much easier. The medbay has been busy, as while the toll wasn’t as bad as it could have been, it was still not a pleasant night. And there’s also the matter of feeding your people, as well as how Dremmer’s going to react to a bunch of refugees camped on his doorstep.

But that can wait for now, as you look down on the sleeping form in the quietest corner of the medbay. She’s checked out ok (aside from some malnutrition issues), Mother Rust having worked her skills as promised. Of course, the question is: who did you have Mother Rust sing on? When those eyes open are they going to be Little Maria’s or Tammy’s?


Scarlet
You’ve managed to stay clean for a few days now, amazingly enough. Vaya loaded you down with jingle and barter during the celebrations, and you got yourself out of the Murk. You’ve got something on your mind after all, a little tit-for-tat offered by an angry god.

Which is why you’re here in Woodhold, enjoying a small beer in a (literal) hole-in-the-wall with TIMMIS” painted above the hole. Word is the Saint and her flock came back this way after The Works exploded, and set up shop in the Tallboys. You’ve seen the tents outside the Siren’s Gate, but no sign of the Saint herself.

There’s a ruckus outside, drawing the attention of the rest of the rustic patrons. You see a procession pass by outside the hole, a gaggle of roughboiz and hardboiz carrying a screaming figure lashed to a pole above their heads.


SKADI
Always the Mission…

Scavenging NJORD’s jack for parts, you’ve nearly finished repairing Heracles by the time the Matrix Stabilizers make landfall, marking out a secure perimeter around the ruined Revenant hold. Beachhead teams aren’t far behind, fanning out and setting up prefab buildings. But that’s not your problem.

You’re on the western end of the AO now, deep in the flooded, swampy coastline. To your northwest, a lonely NATO transponder faintly pings away in your HUD. But that’s also not your problem. Your problem, is about a klick away, on the other edge of the large break in the trees. The body of a JOTUNN, freshly-killed and half sunk into the mire. It had almost been lost in the chaos of your encounter with NJORD-ECHIDNA, but SigInt says it was killed by the Revenants. There’s a shantytown nearby, but if they have the firepower to bring down a foe of this size, they may be a serious threat to Reclamation.


Vaya
Holy poo poo, you’re still alive. Not from the Destroyer, the hold-wide celebration that just ended. You have vague memories of giving Scarlet her body-weight in jingle, and doing donuts with one of the captured vehicles. But at last the booze ran out, and folks have reluctantly sobered up. Life is slowly returning to normal. Well except for Gonegirl, who is trying to convince all and sundry that Scarlet is a reincarnation of St. Florence of the Cross.

You had hoped to nurse your hangover in peace, but you’re holding court on the front porch of your cabin. A suspiciously well-dressed man is trying to keep the open smile plastered on his face while the muck seeps into his fancy shoes.

“Madame Vaya, as I told your gate-guards, the armsmen were merely my personal security detail. Can’t be too careful, eh? Stockards, and by extension me, wish you nothing but the best. And to those ends, I’m here to help solve any and all supply chain issues you’re having, as part of Stockards’ ‘Friend to All Peoples’ initiative. Terms and Conditions apply, offer known to cause cancer in the State of California So, shall we talk biz?”


(Pay for your lifestyle if needed)

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at Feb 1, 2019 around 02:22

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | 1-Armor| XP: 1/5 | Barter: 8-1

With what Vaya paid me, and what I got from Corgi I'm set for a good while. Unless something unexpected occurs, of course.

Paying 1 barter for lifestyle

I'm not thrilled to be in Woodhold again, but it's apparently where the Saint is. I came here to think, maybe even get help on locating her from the Maelstrom. After all, I apparently can heal with a touch. Was that something I could always do or just something recent? But before I can make my mind up on what to do I hear the commotion outside. After taking a look and seeing what's going on, I down the rest of the beer in one shot, leave some jingle on the counter, and head outside.

I march up to the boiz, looking around to try and make sense of what's happening. "What's going on here?" I ask that out loud, but I watch them as I wait for a response. One of them has to be the leader, or the person they're following for now.

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+1 Read A Sitch = (2+3)+1 = 6
Asking "Who's in control here?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

the cyberpunk dystopia is now
you are not the runner


Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x o o >>

The last day or so have been something resembling quiet. It's all relative, of course, but I've actually be able to take an hour here or there and just...not, for a while. I've spent some time speaking with the Dox, of course. It seems that during the trek back over to the facility, the Tallboys, as they are, some of the Choir got to talking with some of the Dox and decided thei...no well I guess our outlook on life seemed to be a little more accurate. I guess having the core of your religion (I still haven't really figured out if these are religions or tribes, but the anthropologists are dead) blown the gently caress up right in front of you takes a toll. I also hear it has something to do with me, well, existing.

It's a weird feeling. I didn't set out on this path, yet here I am. And many who want to be in this position, leading spiritually and temporally, are mad and get themselves killed. That's what the philosophy of leadership says, though, right? He who wants to be king is by that nature unfit to be so crowned?

I am interrupted by Cougar, who lets me know Mother Rust has finished. I welcome the interruption because it's saving me from going down that rabbit hole. I close up the Book, where I am writing a few things (hey, we still have working pens in the offices!) in the blank pages. I told Mother Rust she would be remembered, and I do not aim to lie. So while I cannot write the end result yet, she, the Madonna, will be remembered as best I can guarantee.

As we're walking towards the medbay, I notice that Miriam and the hunters are back, dragging some sort of butchered game. It's not going to be quite enough for now, but that's why I'm going to go see Dremmer later on tonight. There should be enough resources to go around, if we can avoid fighting over them and cooperate. Something tells me that might be difficult to see through.

Speaking of difficult, we enter the medbay, and head to the far corner. I made my decision. It was not easy. Tamara gave me my old life back, as near as I could tell. A real grip on who I used to be, who we used to be. She was my teammate, and my friend. And yet I could not give her Mar-Mar's body. Tamara, you lived a life already, even if it ended before either of us would have wanted. You will live on in my mind, in the Book, and maybe you'll float back here again. Let the girl live hers, Tamara. She'll make you proud.

I refuse to let a tear drop, and yet it does.

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+1 Fortunes = (6+3)+1 = 10
surplus: 2-barter growth violence
spending 1-barter on lifestyle. I am not fancy, let the people be.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe


Scarlet
The boi gives you an elbow, enough to push you back a bit but with no great force. “Back off outlander, Lord Dremmer’s coming through.” And sure enough, he’s riding out of the gates of his manor on his war-elk. It canters down the bricked path until it arrives aside the bound figure, his screams of mercy devolving into blubbering tears.

Dremmer sneers at the man, and rises up a bit in the saddle. “Citizens, traders, and tourists!” His voice easily carries across the crude square, over the prisoner’s sobs. “You know who I am, and what my word means in Woodhold. And I say this: this man is a harbinger of doom, the smile of a beast that would devour us whole! Stockards’ and croneys will find no welcome in these lands! Anyone offering them shelter or trading with them will share the same fate! Do it!”

His boiz snap to, carrying the pole a bit farther to the edge of the hold. They tilt it forwards, sliding it into a hole. The man screams as his weight settles on the ropes bining him to the no-vertical hole. The boiz brace the upright, then march back to the manner with their lord.


Lombardi
Mar-Mar’s eyes flutter open, and she groans. Holding her ribs, she focuses on your face with a frown. “You punched me. Her. Us. Whoever, but it still hurt you big jerk.” A faint smile tells you she’s not entirely serious.

You’re interrupted by a beep from your interface. Its displaying video from the gates. Your Dox are all blue-tagged in the I:F/F, but there’s a handful of others out there. Your people don’t seem to be fond of them, they’re currently throwing rocks at them from the circle of tents. Four of them are hardboiz, trying to shield a woman in a… pantsuit(?) from the projectiles.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | 1-Armor| XP: 1/5 | Barter: 7

I watch what's going on, trying to figure out what to do. If this is local politics then maybe I should stay out of it. But Dremmer is talking about a harbringer of doom and beasts. Plus I might be able to gain favor at Stockards if he's someone important.

So I step into the war elk's path and look into its eyes. "Lord Dremmer, is he really the kind of danger you're describing? Or are you exxagerating for everyone else? I've dealt with Destroyers and those who use them before, they do not frighten me." I walk forward, keeping eye contact the whole time.

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+1 Dangerous and Sexy = (5+3)+1 = 9
edit: It should actually be 10 since I have the +1 from Read A Sitch
I hold 2 and spend 1 to make eye contact with the war elk, who freezes or flinches and can't take action until I break it off

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2019 around 05:08

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

the cyberpunk dystopia is now
you are not the runner


Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x o o >>

I squeeze her hand. "You'll be fine," I say with a wink. "Glad to have you back, Mar-Mar." Then the chirp sounds. "Duty calls. I'll see you soon."

I gather my gear and head towards the camp, pairing the tac to the loudspeakers and readying the Voice as I walk. The script comes back to me, quickly. "You have entered a restricted area; lethal force is pre-authorized for trespass. You have a chance to state your business, do so now." As I speak, the Dox halt their rockthrowing, and as I approach, I realize some of them are reciting the script as well. A thought crosses my mind: who the gently caress is wearing a suit these days?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Cool=0| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| 1-armor

The details I've got from what went down in the Works are hazy, and that's not just because of the bathtub gin. The rumors that have flocked here on the lips of travelers and merchants varied wildly, I assume because everyone gave what happened different meaning based on their own religious proclivities, tendency to exaggerate and pants-making GBS threads terror felt on the spot. What's for sure, is that whoever had stocked up on fuel is making some shiny jingle on selling it back. That's how the market is sometimes. A wily, moody bitch.

Not improving the effects of the gin is this guy. Joelbub, I think his name is. He's trying to fast talk his way out of trouble, but I know the type.

"We can talk biz after this, Joelbub. If it's robbers that you're worried about, you got nothing to fear in my market. My bois watch the place closely, and they are well armed. The rule is there for a reason; so people don't feel pressured into a bad deal by armed thugs."

I study his face carefully, looking for any sign of hidden resentment.

quote:

I got an 11 on my Read a Person roll, so I'm sitting on 3 hold for that. Marked experience.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 3:00 Harm | 10:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x x x o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 0:00 Charge | 0:00 Ammo


My jack is repaired and re-armed, thanks to resupply and cannibalizing parts from NJORD's suit, though my own wounds are still mending. Success forgives much, thankfully, so the loss of a fellow Valkyrie hasn't attached itself to me for the moment. But as ever, the reward for a job well done is more work.

I examine the dead JOTUNN, trying to determine how it met its end. Knowing this will give me a better idea of what I am facing. It is no ECHIDNA, but neither does this settlement possess MJOLNIR. It seems I am not the only Giantslayer here.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 Read a Situation = (3+2)+1 = 6
• What should I be on the lookout for?

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe


Scarlet
Dremmer mutters curses to himself as he regains control of his spooked mount, and looks down at you with annoyance. The annoyance soften somewhat as recognition flutters across his face. “Ah, Absinthe’s girl. How is the the old fool? And yes, that man's a danger to us all. A Destroyer is an honest threat, it announces itself. The skies crack, the earth shakes, our minds quiver. But Dragon and his ilk come to you with open arms and smiles. They wait until they’ve wrapped their coils around your heart and soul, then talk of compound interest. Of repossession. Of debt slavery.” He begins projecting his voice, speaking to the crowd.

“Woodhold is mine, and I protect what is mine. And I will not allow the repos to whisk my people away under cover of darkness. That is my promise to you all.”


Lombardi
The hardboiz lower their makeshift shields, but still cast wary glaces at the crowd. As well they should, you can tell the former Works-folk are still on edge. You’ve seen it before in green troops that have survived their first time in the poo poo. Shock and stress, with a chaser of anger.

The woman seems unshaken by her reception, giving her suit-jacket a quick straightening tug before turning an impossibly white smile on you. “My apologies Saintly One, we weren’t sure that you and your Host were here until we saw the tents. I am Bobbisew Holmes, and I’m here on behalf of Stockards, and specifically the Perfect Sphere of the Invisible Hand. The Circle of Rationalists have heard of your return and wish to create joinder with you. We believe that the Saintly Host and the Invisible Hand can be strong allies in this new age!”


SKADI
Its remarkable how little damage is apparent on the JOTUNN’s corpse. There’s obvious explosive damage to the mouth and skull, but none of the telltales of a rocket or artillery strike. Grenades? It would be insanity, but Revenants have surprised you in the past. The rest is just small-arms damage, not enough to kill it but enough to weaken a gravely wounded beast.

You’re stepping around the hindquarters of the beast in order to get more vid for your report when Heracles pings a warning. Its detecting a wide-spectrum IR signal blanketing the area, only blocked from the entire field by the JOTUNN’s bulk. A few moments and the AI’s threat library spits out a response: a pre-Fall anti-intrusion/targeting system for drone weapons. It hasn’t gone active, your signal bounce possibly getting lost in the beast’s shadow. But there’s no telling when it would get a lock on you if you continued around this side.


Vaya
Joelbub isn’t exactly happy with the situation, but its more a general exasperation than resentment, per se. He jerks his head at his boiz, and they reluctantly stop fussing with your boiz. His smile doubles in size. “My apologies Madame Vaya, we meant no disrespect to you or your laws. The Murk has been a dangerous of late and the Circle wanted us to be safe. As a gesture of good-will, you’re welcome to keep my armsmen’s weapons. Good solid products of Stockards’ forgeyards, modeled after the finest arms of Saint Fernando Himself. Just a few of what Stockards’ has to offer you and yours. We’ve also got guz for your carts, hitech for your toys, and geemoes for your belly. A full-service package.”

(The guns are very shiny rifles(2x[3-harm far loud hitech]) and pistols (2x[2-harm close loud valuable]))

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | 1-Armor| XP: 1/5 | Barter: 7

"He's doing fine," I say carefully. So this man works for Dragon, and Dremmer doesn't want Stockard's people here. "This man is just someone from Stockard? You're fine upsetting them by shooting the messenger?" I move my eyes from the elk and look at Dremmer. If I do something about this, I should probably be aware of how Dremmer will take it.

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+1 Read Dremmer = (6+3)+1 = 10
I hold 3, and spend 1 right now to ask "What's your character really feeling?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

the cyberpunk dystopia is now
you are not the runner


Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x o o >>

I have such a hard time remembering anything I actually want to, and the moment this woman finishes her pitch, a whole flood of garbage comes across my brain. I'm rolling around a bunch of snappy comebacks and contempt, but I catch myself. What was true once may not be true now, and I shouldn't needlessly antagonize these people. My guess is that they'll antagonize us soon enough, but we'll see. Anyway, I cut right through the pleasantries. That, at least, has been a style that's worked well so far. "All right, all right, everyone settle down. Bobbisew, if you're interested in potentially working on a requisition contact with us, I'll get a table set up in one of our tents and we can see what you've got to offer." It's not like we don't need things...on the other hand I'd really like to not be paying for food. And gently caress no we're not going inside. I'm also not apologizing for our defense.

Trespass does violate the NAP, after all.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Cool=0| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| fancy rifle (3-harm far loud hitech)| 1-armor

I stand up from my chair and give the weapons an appraising look. I can't help but whistle in appreciation. These have some drat fine firepower. I wouldn't mind at all to see these bad bois traded in my market, they could bring quite a bunch of jingle with them... but that jingle doesn't mean anything if it goes to Stockards instead of us. Gotta play my cards right.

"Your gesture of goodwill is appreciated, Joelbub. To pay it back in kind, you and yours will face no other punishment beyond losing these weapons." I take one of the rifles for myself and gesture for one of my bois to take the rest. "Jay-Jay, get these out of the way for a sec."

I holster my new weapon and sit back down. "Alright, now we can talk business. You gotta understand, this is a trading hub. Our livelihood is the dealing and wheeling with our trading partners. Wood and materials from Woodhold, hi-tech and scrap from the Last Fleet, game and herbs from swamp-folks..." I look whistful for a moment. It's a very nice place that I've got going on here. But then I focus back on Joelbub.

"I can't accept a deal that's going to screw over my people. But I don't want to say no to your stuff. It's very nice." I pat my new rifle again. "So here's my counteroffer: you find buyers for your stuff here. You bring it here. You sell it. Waterway gets your goods, and you get jingle. Same as what you wanted, really, but without forcing us to choose between our other trading partners and you."

"That seems like a fair treatment, no?"

quote:

Using another hold to ask "How could I get you to accept the offer of just being one more trading partner?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe


Scarlet
Dremmer makes a calculatedly indifferent shrug. “Much like the cockroach, the capitalist scurries off to hide when discovered. They will move on to a less well defended targets. And if they do wish to take out their rage on us, well.” He encompasses Woodhold’s walls with a sweep of his arm. “Stockards’ is nearly 100 kils away, and not even Titan himself was able to breach our defenses.”

He side-steps the war elk closer to you and leans in, no longer projecting his voice. “That’s not to say I wouldn’t have work for a young go-getter such as yourself. If you’re interested.”

(Dremmer is fairly confident he can weather any repercussions, but has some nagging doubts as this isn’t something he can just punch)


Lombardi
Bobbisew gushes more word salad that you believe signals agreement, and you find the Dox have cleared of a table for you to use. One of the newest members of your motley crew (Rox?) bows apologetically several times as he cleans off the last few pieces of a guitar he was working on. As she sits, Bobbisew takes a much-repaired attacte case and opens it. The papers within are crude copies on low-quality paper-stock, but the formatting is oddly familiar. “The Co-signers of our Immutable Ledger were visited by The Profit many quarters ago, and he told them of this day. While we cannot offer you the same level of support as the original Private-Public Logistical Supply Contract, we can offer ammo, food, basic supplies, and the like.”

She places the papers in front of you, pointing to various terms. “And we recognize that you may not be plugged into the current financial paradigm, so we are happy to accept security services in lieu of jingle.”


Vaya
You can see the gears turn behind Joelbub’s eyes as he mulls your counter-offer. “So you’d like to set up Waterway as a distribution hub? That’s… certainly an interesting counter. Its not something that was on the table when I left, but I will admit that you’ve got a surprisingly nice setup here. The Murk has a reputation as a bit of a back-water back home, I’m sad to say. But I’d be happy to take your offer home and pitch it. I’d need a certain level of buy-in from you of course, to show the Circle that you’re a serious power-player.”

He produces a small abacus from his suit pocket and slides beads back and forth for a bit before presenting it to you. “Let’s say… this much?”

(Joelbub can set up a better trade deal for a bribe of 5-barter)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | 1-Armor| XP: 1/5 | Barter: 7

"If you have to fight Stockards then I suppose that's just how it is. But I'd rather remain neutral. It's just good business." I think for a moment. Perhaps Dremmer might know where the Saint is. "But if you have other work, I'd be interested in hearing about it."

If Dremmer does have work that he claims isn't working against Stockards, I'll spend 1 hold to ask "Is your character telling the truth?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Cool=0| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| fancy rifle (3-harm far loud hitech)| 1-armor

I tap my chin thoughtfully and let him stew a bit, but on the inside I'm pretty happy. The fish has taken the bait. Now to ensure he doesn't escape.

"I accept that. How long are you going to stay here? I don't have that much jingle on hand, but I think I can get it soon-ish."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 3:00 Harm | 10:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x x x o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 0:00 Ammo


I frown at the readout, considering my options. The defenses guarding Lombardi's base counted me an enemy, so I should not assume these will recognize my IFF. Perhaps these defenses were what slew the Jotunn... but the injuries don't seem to match with this.

The shanty-town is my next destination, but I need to find a safe approach. I scan for cover, and spot a hummock with a few tries growing on it nearby. It should shelter me from the defenses, and give me a slight vantage, a chance to consider my approaches to the shanty town. I bring the reactor to full and make a dash from behind the Jotunn towards my chosen position.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 Covering Ground = (2+5)+2 = 9
• You must mark 1 charge.
• You cover the ground very quickly: as a vehicle with speed equal to its agility.
• Your passage is noisy and you leave an unmistakeable trail of battered scenery.
• You keep to the available cover.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Mar 1, 2019 around 03:51

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

the cyberpunk dystopia is now
you are not the runner


Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x o o >>

We go back and forth for a bit, with me slicing through Bobbisew's circumlocutions as best I can. And then finally, I realize what they can actually bring us that doesn't compromise our self-sufficiency or give away too many resources on our end.

"Coffee."

Real beans, not freeze-dried powder that barely counts.

Actual roasts.

"Let's draw up a 1-month trial contract, Bobbisew. You bring us fresh beans weekly, and I'll delegate you some rowdybois to Watch your local trade routes. Deal?" There's definitely some antsy folks around that would appreciate the opportunity. Gilly should jump at this, for one.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe


Scarlet
Dremmer dismounts easily and walks besides you. “What I have in mind shouldn’t bring you into conflict with Stockards’, but its up to you to decide how neutral it is. With The Works getting itself blown to poo poo, a fair few folks have set up shop on my doorstep. I know the Saint has satiated the Tallboys to the east, and there’s two or three camps of Choirfolk south by Big Fork. I need to know how they’re going to fall on the Stockard’s issue. You don’t need to convince them one way or the other, just find out and bring word back to me. And survive the roaming Titanspawn and Dealmakers.”
(He’s telling the truth)


Lombardi
“Deal!” Bobbiesew carefully peels off one of her gloves to shake your hand,putting it back on once the act is finished. “And I think we can make good on the first delivery too.” With a snap of her fingers one of the hardboiz has brought over an oversized traveling case. Bobbie sew opens and unfolds it, revealing a wide variety of weapons, ammo, and household goods.

But what catches your eye is a burlap sack with the letters ‘KOFAY’ crudely printed on it. you nose is already twitching. She smiles, showing teeth even whiter than yours. “And as we’ve consummated our union, I’d really like those rowdies. Your neighbor is likely to kill me when I leave here.”


Vaya
Joelbub openly eyes you and your kit, appraising them. “I’ve got a schedule to keep, but I can spare a day or two seeing how the radio station is gone. You strike me as a woman of means, I’m sure you won’t have an issue getting your seed money together.

You see Nonose and Even start slightly and eye the distance, reacting to something that you can’t see/hear over the busyness of the market and your deal-weaving here. They don’t do anything else, but something’s got them spooked.


SKADI
The swamp is not the most forgiving of terrain, but you make it to your target area with a minimum of fuss (aside from a few battered trees and outraged crocodilians). The shantytown, ‘Waterway’ on your briefing note, is not quite visible, mossy trees screening most of it. But IR and radar mark it well, a robust but primitive wall surrounding a double-handful of shacks. More people than you’d think from the number of buildings though, most congregated in the open center of the area.

Except for the two heat signatures heading your way, their body heat betraying their ground-hugging stealth.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | 1-Armor| XP: 1/5 | Barter: 7

"I think I can do that." I watch him as I say it. Might be good to know what he's going to do with the information I give him.

Spending my final hold to ask "What does your character intend to do?"

"Speaking of the Saint, I've heard she's around here. Can you direct me to her? I'm interested in meeting her and seeing what she's like."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Cool=0| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| fancy rifle (3-harm far loud hitech)| 1-armor

From the corner of my eye, I can see that Nonose and Even have noticed something. Of course more trouble pops up just as I have something else on my plate. For now, I nod at Joelbub and dismiss him with a gesture. Then I interrogate them. "Alright, you two. What's going on?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe


Scarlet
Dremmer gives you a look and jerks his chin towards the east, where a cluster of squat towers rise above the corner of Woodhold's walls. "As I said, The Saint has calmed the Siren's Gate and has taken up residence within the Tallboys. A few of my Rangers have seen tents outside too, so she must have brought a fair number of Works-folk with her."

(He's looking to consolidate his hold on Woodhold and its environs)


Vaya
Joelbub gives you an overly-cheerful farewell and carefully squelches back towards the market. Nonose and Ever start a little when you speak to them, their eyes still on the horizon. Ever signspeaks something, and Nonose nods. "Not sure Boss. Ever and I was scanning the horizon for tactical threats", (aka they had gotten bored and were staring off into space), "when we's seen a bunch o'crows start up out of the trees east-wise." He points outwards, and you can see a few murders still wheeling above the trees. "Not sure whatsit, but that's out way with the carcass o' the Beast."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Cool=0| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| fancy rifle (3-harm far loud hitech)| 1-armor

I look in the direction Nonose is pointing at, shielding my eyes from the sun with one hand. Sure enough, I can see several murder of crows in the air. I was so busy haggling with Joelbub that I didn't notice.
"You two have got good eyes." I comment. "It could be nothing, but it could be something. Go have a look-see, both of you, and let me know what you find. I have some business to do in the market, but if you find something that you think I should know, I want to hear right away, 'kay?

As they move eastwards, I make my way to the market. I can hear the buzzing of hagglers and the hollering of sellers before I even step in, and it's a comforting sound. It's maybe not the heard of Waterway, but it's certainly its lungs, breathing life into it and making the whole thing march forth.

If I wanted to step in with my weapons on, no one would say anything, but after this morning's situation with Joelbub, I want to set a good example. So I whistle for a guncaddy.

There comes Kiki, a bag, positively bristling with weaponry, with the faded logo of some kind of bird slung over her shoulders. Sometimes I worry about how young some of these little rascals are, and just how much firepower they drag around, but they do provide a valuable service, and their families need the jingle. I push a Woodhold token in her grubby fingers, I muss up her hair and then I immerse myself in the market, looking for opportunities.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

the cyberpunk dystopia is now
you are not the runner


Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x o o >>

"Dremmer?"

Well, this might cause some issues.

"Well don't piss him off then. Don't go making your problems my problems." And with that I head off to find Gilly, telling her she's a Lieutenant now and she's getting assigned to a temporary subcommand under Bobbisew's convoy. She can take any three others from her clique along. I do remind her that the Woodholders are friendly, though. But I'm not telling her what to do. "Lieutenants make some tough decisions. I think you're up for it."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 3:00 Harm | 10:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x x x o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 0:00 Ammo


The ground is worse than I expected, dragging at the jack as I try to sprint to another piece of cover. Pushing the reactor overcomes it but I will have to remember that movement here will be difficult.

I consider how to make first contact. Diplomacy is far from my strong point. Hopefully a direct approach will work. My mech should protect me well enough to risk it.

I move towards the two contacts and turn on a spotlight aimed at them. "I am SKADI, Valkyrie of OLYMPOS. I come in peace, and wish to speak to your leader."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | 1-Armor| XP: 1/5 | Barter: 7

I nod. "Thank you. I'll be back when I have the information you want." I stand aside to let him go, and head my own way east towards the Saint.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Fun Shoe


Scarlet
As you leave Woodhold, the screams of the salesman fade into sobs, then to nothing. Likewise, you expected people-sign to fade out as you got closer to the Tallboys as no-one in the valley has braved the curse since Absinthe was your age. But though its not the hustle and bustle of Woodhold, there’s campfires and tents dotting the broken ground, thickening to an actual encampment before the imposing Siren’s Gate.

The tents and such in front of the Tallboys are of different make than the animal-skin and patchwork variety you’ve seen on your way over, tall and straight and emblazoned with ancient runes. There’s a bit of activity going on, a woman wearing similar strange clothes as the salesman overseeing the loading of several small vehicles. Several of her guards seem to be local, as they are saying their goodbyes.


Lombardi
Gilly snaps to attention, giving you a salute that you would have yelled at a cadet for, but different circumstances. She tells you that you won’t be disappointed in her before running off to round up Actually, Fern, and Stebe. You have vague recollections of a group of stable, if not exactly brilliant folks, and figure its a decent pick.

The possible friction with Dremmer has you a bit on edge, and before you head back into Stasis you make a circuit of the security cameras that still function. Everything looks good until you hit one of the long-view cameras, it shows an extremely well-armed woman scoping out the area from a muddy but well-patched ATV.


Vaya
You get alot of friendly nods at the market, above and beyond the usual acknowledgement of the person in charge. Scarlet may have done alot of the heavy lifting, but the Siege of Waterway was broken by you and your boiz, and folks appreciate that. As you walk about glad-handing and shooting the poo poo, you get the word out and it comes back you you.

A fair amount of poo poo needs to be done, but most of it doesn’t fit your jingle-need or your time-frame. But two possibilities present themselves. Excellent Dimi is in the market for Destroyer guts, says it can cure everything from the ol’ flip-flop to the rot. Just, he’s not sure if the corpse outside of town belongs to you, and he’s also a coward. There’s enough crocs and scythe-birds to make hiring someone else attractive.

Fair Dinkum is also in market, buying up all the supplies she can get a hold off before prices get weird. The only problem for her is now she and her caravan is a pretty juicy target on the way back to the Last Fleet. She’s looking for some muscle, enough to make the day-trip back go quiet.


SKADI
The two figures freeze in the spotlight, torn between running, shooting, and actually listening to you. At last, one of the figures untenses, and makes some odd gestures at the other. The second slowly relaxes, and nods.

“Ah, hallo Valkyrie Skadi. I’m Nonose and my friend there is Ever. Ah, the Boss says that everyone is welcome at the Waterway Market. But… you’re going to have to leave your weapons at the gate or with a caddy.” The one called Ever makes a few more gestures, and this Nonose nods. “And you’re going to have to duck a bit, you’re a tall lady and there’s lots of streamers and low-hanging stuff.”

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at Mar 19, 2019 around 17:48

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 3:00 | 1-Armor| XP: 1/5 | Barter: 7

I stop the trike, and pause for a moment. Then I get up and walk towards the group. I keep my weapons holstered, but scan the area as I walk in.

"Hello. I am looking to talk to the Saint. Is she available?"

I have friendly intentions, at least I think for now, but even then it's worth keeping an eye out for what's going on.

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+1 Read A Sitch = (3+4)+1 = 8
Asking "What should I be on the lookout for?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

the cyberpunk dystopia is now
you are not the runner


Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x o o >>

"You have entered a restricted area; lethal force is pre-authorized for trespass. You have a chance to state your business, do so now." Nobody's heart is in it, and we rip through the standard 'greeting' quickly and unenthusiastically. The rock-throwers haven't picked anything up, and for fairly obvious reasons. I quickly follow it up. "Standard opening, I hope you understand. I appreciate you keeping your weapons stowed." There's something about her. Reminds me of...me? I don't know, that could be dangerous, I have no reason to believe that. I do have to admit, having the loudspeakers rigged up through the tac is really nice. "Meet me at the blue tent," I tell this newcomer, indicating a small one near the edge of our encampment. "If you'd like to place weapons in the trunk you'll find there, I'd see that as a very friendly thing to do," I tell her as i trunch down the slightly muddy pathway, "But it's no insult if you don't."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«11 »