Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Post
  • Reply
PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?



Specialist Tamara Jackson posted:

She thinks I’m dead. I think I’m dead.
But I’m still here…
So I watch, those that shine in this storm-toss ocean:


A knight-errant, unprepared for the horrors she will find…
My sister-in-arms, great secrets locked within her shattered mind…
The high priestess of a new god, culling the weak from the herd…
Death’s own son, bringing the Last Peace wherever he walks...
The voice of hope, trying to bring the words back to the lost…
The siren of tomorrow's end, clinging to the wreckage of her past

I will watch, and I will weep. For true Destruction slouches towards this fallen Bethlehem...


Corvi and Zero
Twilight finds the two of you on the eastern slopes of E’kidnaw, the long shadows hiding you from prying eyes. The bloody work of yesterday is done, and now its time to get paid. Speaking of which Zero, did you tell Corvi about that weird-rear end figure you saw when the two of you got separated last night?

Coming around a claw-tip reveals a junk-wagon, its engine still running. Dakota sits on the tailgate, their ‘assistant’ Attache standing over a sheet-metal crate big enough to hold you pay. All this was as agreed. What isn’t is the handful of ruffbois watching the perimeter and your approach. Nothing too heavy, but they’re definitely packing heat. You two recognize any of them?
What do you do?


SKADI
Its been a busy two days, but a combination of go-tabs and NEWtrient have fueled you long enough to do a rough recon of your dropzone (orbital photography has given you a good layout of the geography, but it failed to note how populated the region is). The mostly intact ruins of the Launch Control Center is the location of the high-energy readings, and is bristling with weapons and sensors. The largest entrance, and the only one big enough to admit Heracles, has drawn a bit of local interest as well. From your hidden spot in the eaves of the nearby woods, you see maybe a dozen men loitering a medium distance from the gate.

This close to the complex, you’ve picked up a weak broadcast on one of the old military bands. Its a inflectionless voice, a recording of some sort:

Recorded Message posted:

This place is not a place of honor.
No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.
Nothing valued is here.
This place is a message and part of a system of messages.
Pay attention to it!
Seriously Artie, Dremmer knows you’ve arrived. Either of your heads would look good on his wall, and his Huntsmen are very good at their jobs.

You HUD lights up with warning symbols, multiple movement vectors in the trees that the suit’s AI has tagged as a possible threat
What do you do?


Spec. Lombardi
L’nai has closed up for the night, and is helping you set up your kit down below in her sleeping bunker. You can tell she’s a bit confused when you roll out your portabed on the floor, but she doesn’t say anything.

She’s inviting you to share a meal when she’s interrupted by two unwelcome noises. The first is an insistent beeping coming from your gear. You NBC monitor is going off, showing a non-lethal increase in alpha and beta particles. The second is a pounding on the door to the shop above you. Its followed quickly by a rough voice shouting. “Heyyo bitch! Yuv lost the lotto and Dremmer wants his due!”

L’nai is obviously upset at this news, and is looking at you with a now familiar ‘how do I explain this to my simple friend who knows nothing’ expression.
What do you do?


Armstrong
It was a good show today, got to spin some fine tuneage and Shade even provided some primo info. Do you happen to know where she gets her deets? Anyways, its breaktime and you’re heading down to grab a cup of joe with Shade when you hear a ruckus in the mess. Raised voices and insults, sounds like some of the scrapper crews enjoying a dry-break are at each other. Again

As usual Goldie is a few steps behind you, and you hear her sigh. “E’kidnaw’s Teeth, they are really getting on my tits. Can I bust up some faces this time, brother-mine?”
What do you do?


Melody
Consciousness doesn’t come easy to you, and that’s the first warning sign. The second is your accommodations, once you managed to open your eyes. You’ve squatted rough before, I mean who hasn’t, but its been a long time since it was this bad. Bare and stained concrete walls, a roof that’s more rebarb mesh than solid. And the bed is just bare springs with a light blanket over it, and… Oh.

Third warning sign: Your left hand is cuffed to the mattress, key nowhere to be seen. But at least you hear movement outside your room, the sound of someone walking and the sound of a long bit of metal being slide over stone.

Ok, so maybe that’s not that comforting after all…
What do you do?


++++
Please Post your charsheets in your first post. Go forth and kick rear end.

People and Places
A Map of Rinpurt Valley and its Environs

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 17:51

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

The Quarantine

pre:


Specialist: Lombardi, Maria M.
Woman, ancient fatigues, shadowed eyes, athletic body.
Cool+3, Hard+1, Hot+1, Sharp=0, Weird=nil

Moves
Combat veteran: you get +1cool (cool+3).
Disciplined engagement: when you inflict harm, you can choose to inflict any
amount of harm you like, less than or up to your harm as established, including s-harm.
Decide at the moment you inflict the harm; you need not tell anyone in advance how
much harm you intend to inflict.
Leave no one behind: in battle, when you help someone who’s rolling, don’t roll+Hx.
You help them as though you’d hit the roll with a 10+.

Gearan assault rifle (3-harm close/far loud autofire)a 9mm sidearm (2-harm close loud)a combat knife (2-harm hand)
• military body armor (2-armor valuable hi-tech)
•fatigues and scrounge, but no jingle

Stasis
I was released a few days ago.
My colleagues remain in stasis.
It has deadly defenses.
Specialist Jackson was unable to survive the trauma of release.
Currently unlocked facility is: Medlab.

Hx
Vaya +1
Corvi -2
Melody -2
SKADI -1
Yx -2
Scarlett -2
Zero -2
Armstrong -2

XP
Advances: 1

Advance! — get followers (you detail) and fortunes!
My followers are: (fortune+1 surplus: 1-barter want: desertion)
- congregated in their own communities
- a cult
- hard-working, no-nonsense. Surplus: +1barter.
- eager, enthusiastic, and successful recruiters. Surplus: +growth
- not really yours, more like you’re theirs. Want: judgment instead of want: desertion.
- disdainful of fashion, luxury and convention. Surplus: +violence
Everything is hosed. They stuck us in these chambers, with all this equipment. For something, something which we..I..can't even recall. Jackson didn't make it out with me and I know I'm not qualified to hit those releases. Might be able to figure that out later. There's a standard medical facility with power, but I'm pretty sure I'm not a doctor. The mission is completely fubar, I can tell that much. As the only mission operative active, I'm changing the mission. Priority one is personal survival. Priority two is personal recall. I can't remember poo poo about what I'm supposed to be doing. If I can figure that out, I can adjust the mission parameters as need be. In the meantime, I'm on my own.

Update: I've identified that the people here are (generally) terrified of 'the destroyers,' and I don't seem to be one. At this time, I hypothesize these 'destroyers' have something to do with my original mission, but that's still a wide net to cast. It's all I've got to go on; I don't have any other observations or interactions with the 'destroyers.' Not many clues yet. It seems pretty clear that whatever this patch on my arm is, it doesn't have much meaning anymore. I suppose that's a clue in and of itself? Probably a secret mission, or...something went very wrong. gently caress.

Update: I've spent some time talking to a woman named L'nai; she runs some sort of fabric or clothing trade post. I haven't really grasped the economy of this area (though it seems somewhat primitive, which, gently caress), but the fact that there's mental space and a need for things beyond weapons and food is a good indicator that civilization of some sort is functioning. But, gently caress.

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2018 around 01:34

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Lombardi

I've got to investigate this reading. I reach for the control pad of the system. So far, it seems like I've got a pretty robust set of sensor systems, but I keep only finding out about them once they alert on something or other. Anyway, I silence the alarm, but using the the controls is actually slightly awkward when it's not on my forearm. "I've got to investigate this reading," I explain to L'nai, "Unfortunately, I have to do it tonight." Alpha will kill us all dead, and fast, if it's a gaseous source or otherwise readily internalizable. Why do I remember that? Then there's the pounding, and the noise. I glance upwards as I start pulling my gear back on. "Annoying, yes," I agree, "but is it about to be your problem?" I don't want it to be her problem. "I don't want it to be your problem. I can handle it." I'm confident in that, at the least. "If it needs to be handled. Least I can do to thank you, right now."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.


Zero
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ○○○○○» | 2-Barter



That... Thing I saw last night was strange. It was covered in metal, like someone in armor, but it was too big to be a person. Too small to be a Destroyer, though. It was almost like a vehicle, but shaped like a human. And it was armed with one of the biggest guns I've ever seen.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I told Corvi about it anyway. It's her territory the thing was in, so it'll be her problem if she doesn't believe me. It ignored me last night, but that doesn't mean it's peaceful.

Now, though, we have something more pressing to worry about. Dakota and Attache are here with the goods, but they brought some extras. Not surprising, but it could be them plotting something rather than them being cautious.

I stride forward, rifle slung behind my left shoulder, grenade launcher hanging at my right side. I'm reminded that I need a new sidearm; that'll be the first thing I look into when I'm back at the Works or Stockards. I pull my voice out of my belt, pressing it to my neck. "Mission accomplished," I say, glancing over the group, trying to read their expressions and postures, gauging if they're here to fight or not. "Worried about something? You brought company." I keep an eye out behind my mask, watching for them to do anything suspicious. There's quite a few extras here; they outnumber Corvi and me by over four to one. Not great odds.

If they do intend to double-cross us, they should have brought more men.

Zero (Roland Jones) - Today at 6:12 PM
/r 2d6+1 #Read a person
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:12 PM
@Zero (Roland Jones): 2d6+1 Read a person = (4+5)+1 = 10

Holding three, spending one to ask, "What does Dakota intend to do?"


quote:

The Gunlugger

Look: Concealed, scrounged mismatched armor, scarred face, cunning eyes, hard body

Stats:
Cool +1
Hard +3
Hot -1
Sharp +1
Weird +0

Moves:
gently caress this poo poo: Name your escape route and roll+hard. On a 10+, sweet, you’re gone. On a 7–9, you can go or stay, but if you go it costs you: leave something behind, or take something with you, the MC will tell you what. On a miss, you’re caught vulnerable, half in and half out.

Insano like Drano: You get +1hard (hard+3).

NOT TO BE hosed WITH: In battle, you count as a small gang, with harm and armor according to your gear.

Gear:
  • grenade launcher (4-harm close area messy ap)
  • sniper rifle (3-harm far loud ap)
  • ap ammo (ap) Add ap to all your guns.
  • big-rear end knife (2-harm hand)
  • scrounged coat, mask, and kevlar (2-armor)
  • handheld artificial voice box
  • oddments worth 2-barter

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 1/5 | 2-Barter

"Hrrn." I fold my arms as Zero informs me of the strange creature in my territory. An infant destroyer? Why not. "Thanks." Zero reminds me of the old hounds that ran with Titan. Big and mean but forthright. A decent warrior to rub shoulders with on the killing fields. Will have to remember him.

I sit cross legged and pull out some bones from my coat's pocket. I roll them in the dirt and read them as they lay. "Yes. Hmm. I'll see to it."

As I study the signs of entropy the goons show up. Zero says his piece. "Well," I add, "Plenty to be worried over if they don't have the jingle." My enemies list is short. In fact it's empty. Keeps getting revised. No one stays on it for long.

8 to open my mind. How do I find the thing that was spotted in my turf?

quote:

Corvi
The Faceless

Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1

Rasputin: shot, stabbed, and poisoned, you just keep coming. When you are being scary as gently caress and coming at someone, you get +1armor. You still get shot and stabbed, bleeding just doesn’t bother you that much anymore

Pit bull: whenever your life becomes untenable, name the person you hold most responsible. Take +1 ongoing to all rolls versus them, forever. (All rolls with them directly as a target count, of course. Rolls against their family and friends, minions, or property may count, in the MC’s judgment. MCs, remember your job is to make Apocalypse World seem real and keep the characters’ lives interesting, not deny the PCs bonuses.)

Oh yeah! roll+hard to smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something. On a 10+, the scenery is moved or smashed and you get what you want. On a 7–9 you get what you want and smash or move the scenery, but you take 1-harm (ap), and are disoriented and under fire in follow-up actions, leave something behind, or take something with you. Think smashing through walls or pushing through burned out husks of cars. On a miss, your foot gets pinned under something mid-smash.

Stained Gas Mask
The Unexpected: when someone sees you unmasked for the first time, they take s-harm,
in addition to anything else that happens.
Unmasked, you are:
Afraid. You take -1 ongoing until you cover your face again.
Vulnerable. Whenever you suffer harm, you suffer +1harm

Machete (3-harm hand messy)
Hoodie over steel plates 2 - armor
2 barter

Everyone introduces their characters by name, look and outlook. Take your turn.
List the other characters’ names.
Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask
1, 2, or all 3:
• Which one of you once helped me do something terrible?
For that character, write Hx+3.
• Which one of you was once kind and
unafraid toward me?
For that character, write Hx+2.
• Which one of you do I think is pretty?
For that character, write Hx+1.
For everyone else, write Hx=0.

If you and another character have sex, hold 1. If they
get into poo poo, either you or they can spend your hold
and you are there

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 0:00 Charge | 0:00 Ammo


LCDR Liu-Tereshkova, Artemis

I sit up in the suit's harness, watching the contacts for a moment. An unknown threat moving through the... trees. I wasn't prepared for how tall they would really be - I knew intellectually, but it's different, being in among them.

As I watch, the suit's head turns slightly to bring the contacts in view. It's not an ideal tactical position - caught between two forces. The one near the entrance doesn't appear to have anything that can threaten me, but assumptions are dangerous things. I bring the combat systems online, flip the cover on the red switch, ready to activate the HAMASK system.

The time of waiting seems to be over.

SidekickBOT - Today at 10:05 PM
@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 read a sitch = (4+4)+1 = 9

Asking:
• What should I be on the lookout for?


Landfall Marine posted:

Name: SKADI (LCDR Liu-Tereshkova, Artemis)
Look: Woman, flight suit, disciplined face, sharp eyes, spare body

Stats: Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2

Moves:
Agent/combatant: you get all of the landfall marine missions. You have contact with an orbital drop/echo platform. Each time you complete a mission, you can call for resupply. During play, the MC may have your superiors contact you with orders or with information relevant to your missions.

Walkingsuit calibration: when you charge up a walkingsuit, roll+its power instead of roll+weird.

Vulnerabilities:
• You're vulnerable to hunger: you're unable to eat the contaminated food of the Earth's surface, and survive strictly on reclamation-provided rations.

At the beginning of each session, mark one food countdown segment. If your food countdown is at 12:00, mark hunger instead, until you've marked all 3 hunger. Hunger is -1ongoing, cumulative.
• You're vulnerable to Ψ-harm: each time you exit your walkingsuit on the Earth's surface, you suffer Ψ-harm.
• You're vulnerable to reflexive isolation: you're unable to voluntarily open your brain to the world's psychic maelstrom.

Missions:
Because you’re an agent/combatant, you get all of the landfall marine missions.
During play, you can voluntarily abandon your missions, one by one. When you choose to abandon a mission:
• Cross the mission out. You no longer have it.
• Your superiors know, whether you tell them or not, that you have abandoned it. Disciplinary action is up to them.
• You no longer receive resupply for completing it, even if you go on to do so.
• Mark experience.

• Infiltration: when you destabilize and disarm an armed population, without direct combat, seizing its position and resources, receive resupply.
• Information & control: when you parlay with the leader of an armed population, representing reclamation interests, and win material concessions or collaboration, receive resupply.
• Reclamation: when you identify and accurately report an area of the landscape suitable for excavatory bombardment and reclamation, receive resupply.
• Reconaissance: when you identify and accurately report an armed population’s position, strength, numbers, and resources, receive resupply.
• Relief & recovery: when you come to the aid of a fellow landfall marine or other reclamation personnel in duress, or recover reclamation matériel, receive resupply.
• Scout / survey: when you identify and accurately report an area of the landscape with strategic value, receive resupply.
• Spearhead: when you defeat an armed population in direct combat, seizing its position and resources, receive resupply.

Resupply:
When you receive resupply, choose 1 of the following:
• Ammo: erase all of your walkingsuit's ammo countdown segments.
• Bombardment: for the rest of the session, you can use bombardment as a weapon. 8-harm far area messy.
• Medical: erase all of your harm countdown segments.
• Rations: erase all your marked hunger and food countdown segments.
• Reinforcement: the MC brings an NPC landfall marine into play as your reinforcement. Tell her to create them as a threat and to give them a walkingsuit.
• Repair: erase all of your walkingsuit's damage countdown segments.
• Retrofiture: exchange one of your walkingsuit's systems for another of your choice.

Gear:
Walking suit
Flight suit
Fatigues
Sidearm (2-harm close loud)

HX:
Armstrong-2
Spec. Lombardi-2
Melody-2
Zero-2
Corvi-2

Walking Suit posted:

Name: JACK-034 "Heracles"
Stats: Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2
2-armor

Configuration: Assault
Systems:
Heavy ferro-fibrous armor (+1agility)
Integrated Ψ buffer rig
Improved reactor (+1power)
Pinpoint targeting system (Add +1harm to all weapon systems)
20mm autocannon (6-harm far area messy)

Moves:
When your walkingsuit is in baseline, erase 1 charge segment for each hour that passes.

When you charge up a walkingsuit, roll+weird. On a 10+, mark no charge countdown segments. On a 7–9, mark 1 charge countdown segment. On a miss, mark 2 charge countdown segments.

Once your walkingsuit’s charge countdown has reached 12:00, it cools automatically down to baseline. Before you charge it up again, let it recover some charge segments.

When your walkingsuit goes into hard shutdown, roll+agility. On a 10+, all 3. On a 7–9, choose 2. On a miss, choose 1:
• Your walkingsuit slows to a stop. Otherwise, it freezes immobile at this precise moment.
• Your walkingsuit lands in a stable, balanced position. Otherwise, it falls awkwardly.
• Your walkingsuit maintains its baseline comms and sensor activity. Otherwise, it leaves you deaf and dumb.

When you use your walkingsuit to cover ground, name your route and roll+agility. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7–9, choose 2. On a miss, choose 1:
• Do not mark a charge countdown segment. Otherwise, you must mark 1.
• You cover the ground very quickly: as a vehicle with speed equal to its agility. Otherwise, you cover it only at human running speed.
• You avoid impact with the ground or obstacles. Otherwise, your passage is noisy and you leave an unmistakeable trail of battered scenery.
• You keep to the available cover. Otherwise you expose yourself to enemy attention and fire.

When you use your walkingsuit to force an entrance or exit, name your route and roll+power. On a hit, sweet, you’re there, and anything that stood in your way has suffered whatever harm or impact necessary (MC’s call). On a 7–9, mark 1 charge countdown segment. On a miss, mark 1 charge countdown segment, and you’re hung up somewhere midroute or on some difficult threshold.

When your walkingsuit’s ammo countdown reaches 12:00, you’re out of ammo. Do not use any of your weapon systems until you use resupply (or some other means, such as a savvyhead’s workspace) to erase ammo countdown segments.

When you ram a person, a vehicle, or a structure intentionally, add your walkingsuit's power to its massive to determine the harm you inflict.

When you use your walkingsuit as a vehicle otherwise, use its agility for both its speed and its handling.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:29

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard +1 | Cool +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 0/5 | 2-barter

I blink, once, twice, until my vision starts to clear up, and I can focus on the room around me, still feeling a little groggy.

My memories of what happened last night are still a little hazy. I remember... I was planning on visiting Armstrong, I stopped to share a drink with someone, my vision started to fade, and then... darkness, and now here I am, in this cold, dark room.

I try to stand, but the handcuff's stop me from going any further. It's been a while since I've found myself in a situation like this. A very, very long while. The slavers would cuff us, and lock us away in rooms just like this so they wouldn't lose their 'precious merchandise.' Can't say I miss the experience all that much.

Someone's coming. Probably my captors. I do not know who they are, or what they want with me, but I do not plan to be their captive for very long. I quickly check the spots where my knives are hidden, and see they're still there. Good, they haven't found them.

I wait for my captors to show themselves, ready to strike at them with one of my blades if I have to. I do not fear death, and if death is to come to me today, then so be it. I would rather die than be a slave again.

quote:


Name: Melody
Look: Woman, showy wear, striking face, arresting eyes, expressive hands, slim body

Stats:
Cool +1
Hard +1
Hot +2
Sharp +1
Weird -2

Moves:
Artful & gracious: when you perform your chosen art—any act of expression or culture—or when you put its product before an audience, roll+hot. On a 10+, spend 3. On a 7–9, spend 1. Spend 1 to name an NPC member of your audience and choose one:
• This person must meet me.
• This person must have my services.
• This person loves me.
• This person must give me a gift.
• This person admires my patron.
On a miss, you gain no benefit, but suffer no harm or lost opportunity. You simply perform very well.

Hypnotic: when you have time and solitude with someone, they become fixated upon you. Roll+hot. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 2. They can spend your hold, 1 for 1, by:
• Giving you something you want.
• Acting as your eyes and ears.
• Fighting to protect you.
• Doing something you tell them to.
For NPCs, while you have hold over them they can’t act against you. For PCs, instead, any time you like you can spend your hold, 1 for 1:
•They distract themselves with the thought of you. They’re acting under fire.
• They inspire themselves with the thought of you. They take +1 right now.
On a miss, they hold 2 over you, on the exact same terms.

Gear:
- Hidden knives (2-harm hand infinite)
- Antique coins (worn valuable). Drilled with holes for jewelry.
- Skin & hair kit (applied valuable). Soaps, ochres, paints, creams, salves. Using it lets you take +1 hot forward

Hx:
• Which one of you is my friend?
Zero. Hx+2.

-Which one of you is my lover?
Armstrong. Hx+1.

-Which one of you is in love with me?
Corvi. Hx-1.

Skinner Special:
If you and another character have sex, choose one:
• You take +1 forward and so do they.
• You take +1 forward; they take -1.
• They must give you a gift worth at least 1-barter.
• You can hypnotize them as though you’d rolled a 10+, even if you haven’t chosen to get the move.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Cool 0 | Hard +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | 1-Armor | 2-Barter

Shade's an interesting customer. The impression I get is that she's holed up in some think-tank somewhere out in the wastes, something top-secret enough that she won't even give me a name; maybe it's just the fact that she always seems to have books on her, old books, not rotted out. You have to store that stuff somewhere, right? I remember from the old days -- most of it rots, especially the paper. The Bunker was a stroke of luck; usually, everything falls apart. Wonder where Shade keeps it all, and who's feeding her what she feeds me?

Right now, though, we've got a fight on our hands, maybe? That's not that unusual -- scrap crews are always looking for an excuse when they're somewhere they know they can make a little noise -- but it's not always easy to tell whether it's the usual tension-relief or a real fight. "Gimme a sec to check, Goldie," I say, giving it all a quick glance. Truth be told, I'd rather her not risk her neck for guys like this... but if it's just a play-scrap, she can hold her own.

Read The Sitch: 2d6+1 9
What should I be on the lookout for?
Marking XP for Sharp highlight.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Spec. Lombardi
Relief spreads across L’nai’s face, but she shakes her head. “Lord Dremmer, he has… bad blood. Those of us with… good blood are required to… give him some when he needs.” She pulls up the flowing fabric of her sleeve to show you several puckered scars in the crook of her elbow. “The… process hurts, but I will be safe for the next… season.” She motions towards upstairs, and then holds her thumb and forefinger a few inches apart. “Tommiboy just has littledik brains, he’s an rear end to everyone. It would be nice to see him laid out, but that would cause problems with you and Lord Dremmer.” She looks down, smiling to herself. “T-thanks for offering though.”


Melody
The shuffling noise grows louder, and a figure appears in the doorway bearing a tray. Her face is mostly veiled, but you recognize the visible scars and her hunched posture. The nameless bone-picker shuffles over with the tray of bread and beer in front of her, a rictus of a smile twisting the undamaged portion of her face.

“Greets to you Songstress, I bring you yummies. If you promise not to melt thisun’s brainmeats, I can be giving it to you.” She wiggles the tray at you, your stomach telling you its been a while since you’ve eaten.


Zero
Dakota’s reedy laugh echoes oddly in this cul-de-sac formed by E’kidnaw’s claws. “Ahh, such pertinent questions. That’s why I enjoy working with the two of you. No trouble, at least not for you. It seems that my bizness ‘sociates think I went off the rail with this last job, so I get a bit of a leash. They’re here to make sure I just pay you for a job well done, and not escalate certain issues. Speaking of which-” They pat Attache on one well-defined bicep, and the assistant opens up the crate and reveals the contents.

“So a set of lux long-lookers for Madame Corvi, and whatever-the-hell a clutchplate is for Monsieur Zero. Additionally, you’ll find that you have passes to the Inner Market for the next year.” Dakota leans forwards and stage-whispers conspiratorially. “I think that’s the part that got Dragon’s balls twisted, he doesn’t like letting go of those passes.”

The ruffbois stir at sound of Dragon’s name and look displeased.
(-Dakota intends to do business with you, straight-up)


Corvi
You listen with half an ear as you set up the bones, but the situation doesn’t immediately erupt into violence so it can’t be that interesting. And now something else requires your attention as the discussion and the bones fade, drowned out by the flapping of wings.

The murder carries you up into the howling tempest of the EndSong, its cries beating back the worst of the maelstrom. From these gaps spurt knowledge, knowledge of The Hunter. A hello will within a will, can you hear me?it stalks the valley. And the best way to find a Hunter? be careful Corvi Find its prey.



SKADI
As the combat systems activate, you start to see a more detailed view of what’s happening. Maybe a dozen movement signatures, but the foliage and undergrowth is hiding their exact numbers. But something strikes you about the pattern. Always movement in pairs, on the opposite sides of your field of view. The best way to surround a larger opponent. And the bulky ends of their spears look perfect to contain crude explosives.

Recorded Message posted:

Smart girl, you may just survive your first week. Listen. I have to go, this is tiring for me. But when you find Lombardi, tell her that I… I… poo poo
Just tell her his name was Giles.
(-Your opponents are trained and armed to fight larger foes. Your size will not be an advantage)


Armstrong
Goldie rolls her eyes, and you hear Shade murmur something about ‘the foibles of youth’. Taking a look around the doorframe into the mess reveals a punch-up in progress. It seems to be good-natured, with more shouting and pushing than serious blows. The main attraction seems to be Fair Dinkum and Two-Ton, the rival crew-chiefs that are currently swinging each other around by their shirts. Its looking good for Goldie to have some fun when something tickles the back of your brain.

Two-Ton’s boy Tazerface isn’t hooting and brawling like the rest. He’s moving towards the main attraction with a fraught look in his eye, and something in his hand. Can’t tell if its a knife or little plink-shooter from here, but its definitely not a happy thing.
(-Tazerface is up to no good)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Spc. Lombardi

I get what she's saying, with regards to blood, but I don't get it. At all. I give L'nai that look I'm sure I've given her a dozen times already and I let it pass. I'll get to the bottom of it soon enough, and besides, it seems like a season's worth of protection is a decent amount. "All right, have it your way," I reply with a light smile. Pulling on the last of my gear, I make sure the alarm is still silence. "Get some rest, L'Nai. I might be out late. Thanks again for your hospitality." I head to the door, and then point upwards. "What an rear end."

Then I slip quietly out the door. Glancing towards the radiation sensor, I take the long way around the building, where I can see Tommiboy still pounding on the door. "Tommiboy, it's too late for business." I don't really break stride or even look at him as I walk slowly past. "Come back tomorrow. It's rude, people are trying to sleep."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 1/5 | 2-Barter

"Yes." I blurt out to the murder that is not there for anyone else.

I hope to my feet and shuffle over to Dakota. "Perfect. I am looking for something." I hold out my hand to receive it. "If the jingle is always this nice, look me up again."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Cool 0 | Hard +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | 1-Armor | 1-Barter

poo poo. I try not to make any obvious moves. "Goldie, watch Tazerface back there. He's palming something, and my bet is he's gonna escalate. If you want in, I can't stop you, but watch his rear end."

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at Dec 7, 2017 around 06:48

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.


Zero
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ○○○○○» | 2-Barter


I nod at Dakota's words. "A pleasure doing business with you, then," I say. "Is there anything else you need, or is that it for now?" If I'm going to be going to the Stockards Inner Market, I could use some more jingle; I doubt the things worth buying there will be cheap. Besides, Dakota seems to have a talent for getting into trouble.

Spending another hold to ask "What does Dakota wish I'd do?" because I have the hold and don't know what to do with it anyway.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 0:00 Ammo


I throw the switch. Immediately the reactor goes from a low hum to a deep thrum. "REACTOR: ONLINE. SENSORS: ONLINE. WEAPONS: ONLINE. ALL SYSTEMS: NOMINAL," the AI intones. My hands find the controls, now as responsive as my own limbs. The darkness beyond comes into bright focus as the targeting sensors come to full power.

The charge up sequence is quick, but noticeable to those outside of my suit. I do not allow time for anyone to respond, however, hurling myself from the treeline. It only takes a few strides to come up to speed as I barrel towards the entry way.

If the ones in the woods want me, they can come and get me.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+3 charge up = (3+4)+3 = 10
@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+3 force an entrance = (1+2)+3 = 6

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:30

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard +1 | Cool +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 0/5 | 2-barter

I look at the bone-picker, and then I look at the tray of food she's holding. "Well, seeing as you currently have the advantage over me..." I shrug with one shoulder, a calm smile on my face, "I don't think there's anything you have to worry about. There's not much I can do when you have me shackled like this."

I tilt my head up, and meet her eyes with my own, "So, would you care telling me why you have me locked up?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Spec. Lombardi
As you leave the bunker there’s a peak in the readings, but it quickly drops off to a lower (but still higher than background) level. The monitor begins to flash symbols on the side of the display, looks like its calculating vectors and other complicated poo poo. As you walk past Tommiboy, he squawks down at you from the bridge connecting L'nai's to Wooodhold proper. “Hey bedwarmer I don’t care how mushbrained you are, when a Huntsman speaks you listen! If Dremmer says its time to do something, it gets done! So go back in there and bring out your sugarmomma! Hey!"

A knife sails down from above you and thumps into the soil a few feet away. In the distance, a vaguely familiar klaxon sounds…


Melody
The bone-picker’s smile twists her face even more as she approaches and set the tray on the side of bed. Kneeling down, she begins to tear the bread into smaller chunks for you. “Yes, much apologies Songstress but Glorifikus says it must be. That the Mother Rust plans to use you to profane the Rokoff!” She makes a placating motion. “He and we know that you would never dishonor the Metal like that, but She might take you and force you!. So Glorifikus says we safekeeps you while he faces Her and sets us all free. For doesn’t say in the Album of Ronnie that ‘We Have the Power’?


Zero
Before Dakota can respond to you, the ruffboi with the largest pauldrons gets up in their face, and a whispered conversation starts up. The ruffboi doesn’t seem too happy with Dakota, and is becoming more agitated as they talk. Dakota winks at you, and nods their head slightly towards the rest of the ruffbois.
(-Dakota would like you to kill the ruffbois)


Corvi
Attache hands over the long-lookers you you with a smile and a wink. “Sorry Madame Corvi, but we weren’t able to source a set with heatsight. They do have a spare slot if you find an expac yourself.” He’s about hand you a small metal token when one of the ruffbois grabs his arm.

“Let’s not overhaste.” The ruffboi nods towards Dakota and Big-shoulder’s quiet argument. “My boss thinks Big Boss didn’t like this part of the deal. We wait until this is sorted.”


SKADI
The photo-sonic display of a fully powered walking suit send the Shades in front of the gate fleeing, screaming something about a Titan as you break from the trees. The Huntsmen behind you hoot and whistle, but they are no match for the suit’s speed. Now the only thing between you and the LCC gate is one of the Shade’s transports, abandoned to their terror.

But as you plant one foot to swing around the vehicle, the ground beneath it collapses with a metallic shriek and the suit’s gyros are unable to compensate. Your sprint becomes a fall, and you and the transport (Heracles’ AI helpfully labels it as a 2018 Toyota Hilux) tumble across the open space, both now covered in a fine black power kicked up from the underground space you punctured.

You come to a rest, tangled in the wreckage of the transport. As you clear your head an insanely loud klaxon sounds, rattling you inside the suit and nearly drowning out the weapons-lock warnings.

WARNING! YOU ARE TRESPASSING IN A RESTRICTED AREA. LEAVE IMMEDIATELY OR BE FIRED UPON
(-you are off-balance and within the Siren Gate’s firing range)


Armstrong
Goldie moves past you, then stops and turns back to you and gives you A Look. “You do realize, brother-mine, that some day you’re going to have to accept that you’re the boss around here.” Without waiting for a response she heads into the mess, shoving folks out of the way as she makes her way towards Tazerface. Scooping up an overturned chair along the way, she smashes it over the man’s head without warning. Tazerface slumps to the ground, his knife sliding across the floor. Its a wierd looking bit of kit, almost like it was hand-forged. The crowd subsides, all looking at Goldie.

“So fukkos, as much as I like a good brawl, you all see what chucklefuck here just dropped. And what is Miss Goldie’s #1 Rule?” The scrappers mutter something. “What? I can’t hear you!”
“NO BLOOD ON THE CARPET!”
Goldie smiles and turns back to you. “So bossman, do I bounce them or not?”

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at Dec 8, 2017 around 22:28

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Spc. Lombardi

I pick up the knife, wipe the dirt off the blade on the leg of my pants, and stash it in an empty thigh sheath. "Look," I begin, "if you're looking in the upstairs room, that's got nothing to do with me." I stare at him. "It's not really a good idea to just throw knives away, Tommiboy." I realize I'm antagonizing him, but hell, he annoyed me first. Thinking about the rest of his command, I spit back. "One, I don't take orders from you. If you want something, ask nicely. You'll probably do better that way. And two, no. She's clear for the season." The klaxon sounds, the gently caress does that mean, gah, and I excuse myself, semi-mockingly bored. "I've really got to be going now; you should tell me where you live so I can give you your knife back later." I wait half a second to see what he does, and...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.


Zero
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


I catch Dakota's wink. About what I thought; they aren't the type to enjoy being leashed like this. Which is, of course, why they were put on a leash in the first place. But that's not my concern.

Keeping my head still and letting my mask hide my eyes, I glance left and right, looking over the ruffbois again. Most aren't near the truck, which is good; if I'm going to act here I'm using my grenade launcher, and I'd rather not blow up my client or payment (or Corvi) here. There are two there who will still have to be dealt with, but that likely won't be a problem; Dakota signalling to me should mean that they are going to react if I do what they want, or at least Corvi should catch on fast and deal with them. Hopefully.

I briefly wonder if dealing with them will be worth the trouble; these are apparently Dragon's subordinate's men, not Dragon's own, but this could still come around. On the other hand, I doubt Dakota or Attache would rat me out here, since they'd implicate themselves, and Corvi wouldn't have much to gain either. She's not much one for civilization anyway.

As I grab the launcher hang at my side and fire into the most closely-grouped ruffbois that aren't at the truck, the "fwoomp" of the grenade leaving the barrel followed shortly by the noise of it exploding, I again remember how I need a new sidearm, because situations like this are exactly where this thing is not the ideal weapon. I suppose I can take something off their bodies when I'm done.

I pump the gun and fire at another bunch. Dakota better make this worth my while; they know I don't work for free. If they try to rip me off, I may blow up the truck next.

@Zero (Roland Jones): 2d6+3 Single combatSeize by force (the ruffbois' lives) = (1+5)+3 = 9
I choose to inflict terrible harm and take undeniable control of it. 5-harm, AP, total. Marking XP for rolling Hard.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 2/5 | 2-Barter

Hrrn. The bois are having some trouble. And from the sounds of it that makes trouble for me. I've been promised more and I never leave with less than I was promised. I mull it ov-

Zero goes off with a bang. No thinking. Instinct. I close my eyes, take a deep breath. I seize it. With my left I grab Attache by the collar. Can't let my meal ticket eat it. And I send my blade up into the chin of the ruffboi giving him the business.

"Madame, huh? Are you always such a charmer?"

Seize By Force (defend someone) 10, I shield Attache from harm, inflict terrible harm and I impress dismay or frighten the bois.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at Dec 9, 2017 around 04:10

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Cool 0 | Hard +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | 1-Armor | 1-Barter

Goldie's right. I'm in charge here, whatever exactly that means, and... maybe I need to act like it, for once. I'm not soft. I've done my time. And it's time to show it, if these scrappers have a problem.

I step forward to Goldie. "Miss Goldie's right. Rest of you can scrap if you like, but you bring weapons in, start cutting and shooting? You're out. Privileges suspended. We don't want that to happen, so don't let your worst elements ruin it for you, all right?" I lean down to pick up whatever it was that Tazerface was carrying and give it a look-over, just in case there are any nasty surprises "'course, if any of you know why it is that your colleague decided to bring... whatever this is... to a fistfight, I recommend you take that up with your employers."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard +1 | Cool +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 1/5 | 2-barter

Ah, so it's about that. "Of course, I'd never dare to disrespect something as sacred as the Rokoff," I say, with a small smile, "But I don't think this Glorifikus was being honest with you. Mother Rust already came to me, and I freely agreed to play at the Rokoff. There was no force involved," I take a piece of bread, and tilt my head up look at the bone-picker, meeting her eyes once again, and say, "Tell me; would you trust a man like that to be true to his word? Do you think a man who might've lied to would really set you free? I think the only one who might be dishonoring the Metal here..." I take a bite of my bread, "...Is him."

"..Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to ask for your name, didn't I?" I offer her my hand, my smile returning back to my face, "My name's Melody. What's yours?"

Hypnotizing the bonepicker!: 2d6+2 12
She is now fixated upon me! She won't be able to act against me, and she gets 3 hold, and she can spend that hold, 1 by 1, to:
• Giving you something you want.
• Acting as your eyes and ears.
• Fighting to protect you.
• Doing something you tell them to.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 0:00 Ammo


poo poo. What the hell was that? The ground gave way? Earth is a strange place. I thought I could at least trust rock and dirt. And that klaxon and warning hammer my senses. I need to get out of this killing zone, right now.

The actuators whine as I push them to their limits, getting my jack back on its feet and moving towards the opening. Maybe there's another security system waiting there, but I should be able to get inside the firing arc of whatever the defenses have available. Should.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 do something under fire = (3+3)+1 = 7

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:30

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Spec. Lombardi
The stupid rear end in a top hat actually sizes up the 15-foot drop to the overgrown pavement, but thinks better of it. “When Dremmer hears about this bitch, you’re dead! And I’m going to put your head on my wall and gently caress your skull-holes! With a few more snarled curses that make no sense to you, Tommiboy turns and heads back over the wall into the ‘Preserves’. A few folks that were out and about give you speculative looks, and then continue their business.

Your monitor beeps and a subwindow opens up to display some text: Radioisotope signature matches Mark 7 Nuclear Reactor (Geodyne Systems). More data required for distance and criticality estimates

And that damned klaxon is still going off, and... is that gunfire too?

Melody
The bonepicker pauses, possibly blushing. “I-I lost my name Songstress M-Melody, when Folly-folk took my people. The Raven-Goddess calls me Heyou if that would please your lips.” She looks away, obviously mulling something. “I-I do not claim to have perfect knowing of The Metal, but I trust that Glorifikus’ heart is with those Mother Rust has wronged. But I think your heart is pure, and I will make sure you are treated well.”
(-She is using 1-hold to act as your eyes and ears)


Zero
(Exchange of harm: 5-harm AP/2-armor vs 2-harm/1-armor. Zero is fine, ruffbois are salsa)

The ruffbois were ready for something, but that something was not some fucker unloading with explosives. Those that survive the first grenade are knocked over by its concussion, and easy picking for the second. Corvi seems to be joining in on the fun too, and Dakota kicks Big-shoulders into the second blast. For a few moments there’s only the echoes and a quiet discussion between Corvi and Attache, then Dakota claps their hands and giggles.

“Bravo, bra-vo! Such beautiful music. Terricloth thought she had me backed into a corner, but you certainly showed her, didn’t you? I might be old, but you can’t go to sleep if you want to get up early enough to take my seat at the table!” They hop off of the tailgate and toss a small object to you. “Keys to yon wagon, with my thanks. I’ve got a zoomer hid around the bend, the better to make my escape.” They look down at the pile that is Attache and Corvi. “Are you coming with me my boy, or are you taking your life in your hands?”


Corvi
(Exchange of harm: 4-harm/2-armor vs 2-harm/1-armor. Corvi is fine, ruffboi is bleeding out)

In the sudden silence after the explosions, there’s only the death gurgle of the ruffboi and Attache’s low chuckle. “I try, but you inspire me to greater heights. How many can say the Queen of the Bonefields thought they were worth saving?” You hear Dakota interject themself into the discussion, and Attache gives you a well? look.


SKADI
The suit’s servos whine with the strain, but you unwrap yourself from the Hilux and dart to the door. Just in time too, as hidden machine guns open fire, shredding the transport. Unfortunately, now that you are within the opening, you can see the obstruction that was hidden in the shadows. The blockage before you is massive, reminding you of the hanger bay doors back on the Olympos.

You think you should be able to force it open, but it will take time. Time you’re not sure you have, as you see your pursuers cautiously emerge from the woods.
(-a worse result: there is still a physical barrier to overcome, and the Huntsmen haven’t given up.)


Armstrong
You can see Goldie smile at you through the crowd, does she prod you like this alot? Anyways, there is a collective shuffling of feet and embarrassed coughing from the scrappers. Two-Ton looks at a couple of her boys, and they shrug. She purses her lips, not happy. “Sorry about that Armstrong, Fair. I mean Fair’s crew totes beefed us, but it wasn’t worth sticking someone over.” There’s some rumbles from Fair’s people, but she silences them with a look. “We’ll take Tazerface away, relearn him a bit. We cool?”

Tazerface’s blade is obviously homemade, the handle chopped from a grippy. The blade is odd, sharp but with a dull sheen. You feel a faint heat from it, but it doesn’t show signs of having been pulled from a fire.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at Dec 12, 2017 around 00:03

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Spc. Lombardi

"I don't give a gently caress, Tommiboy," I say not really loud enough for him to hear, but maybe loud enough for someone else to hear as I head out of Woodhold proper. Glancing at the readout, I'm forced to ponder. This gear has signatures for a number of things, I'm sure. Why would it only have one? Anyway, that doesn't answer the question of what a Geodyne reactor is...wonder if it's got anything to do with those klaxons? Or do the klaxons have to do with the gunfire? My pace picks up. It's not always smart to run towards the sound of guns, but, poo poo. I bet all of this poo poo has to do with the fact that I'm out of Stasis, right? A check to the sensor. The phrase 'automated defense systems' is running through my head. The Stasis facility has automated defense systems. And someone's just triggered them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.


Zero
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


Catching the keys, I give Dakota and Corvi a thumbs up, both of my hands too occupied to speak between the keys and my gun. More than satisfactory payment; I've been down a working vehicle since I collected Char's head, and even if Dakota's truck turns out to be a piece of junk it'll use less gas than the RV would if it were repaired. Nothing compared to my old Pursuit, but it'll do; even if it breaks down tomorrow, it can be salvaged for parts towards that goal and to barter, so it was well worth the two grenades.

While I wait for the others to finish what they're doing and get off of my new truck, I pocket the keys and walk over to what's left of Terricloth's ruffbois. As long as I'm replacing things I have a habit of... Losing, I may as well see if I can scavenge a sidearm or two off of them. They were armed for poo poo, but even a 9mm would be acceptable. I just need a gun I can fire indoors without bringing the roof down on top of me. Anything fancier, I'll need to look somewhere other than the smoking remains of people who get jobs like watching an old coot like Dakota.

Which, I do have that token for access to the inner markets at Stockards now. I'll need to get some more jingle first, but I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of heat Dragon's halls have to offer.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 2/5 | 2-Barter

I let go of Attache unceremoniously. "The crow only wants her shiny bauble." I hold out my hand for the upgrade. "Give it. It should be good for finding that metal beast. It will probably be at the tall boys, another graveyard, and the more I can eagle eye from away the better."

I think for a moment. "Suppose I could use a ride too if anyone is heading that way."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.


Zero
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


Not looking up from the ruffboi chunks I'm searching for goods, I chime in. "I can help there." I don't have any particular work at the moment, and Woodhold's as good a place to look as any. Besides, I'm also curious about that thing; it wasn't like anything else I've seen before. I have a feeling that, whatever it is, it's going to cause a commotion if or when it makes its way to one of the settlements. It's been a while since there was real chaos here in the valley, so we're due for some trouble.

Finding a couple of intact pistols, I wipe them off with my coat, then stick one in my belt. Standing up, I hold the other one out to Corvi as I walk over. I don't know if she's a gun person, but I figure if we're going to be hunting together a while longer, I may as well offer.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 3:00 Ammo


This gets better and better. I plant my back to the door and level the autocannon. This is a good a place to make a stand as any, I suppose. Maybe better than most, considering they have to cross that killing ground to get at me.

I watch for the glowing white shapes of targets to coalesce in the bluish field of my sensor enhanced vision. However far these revenants have fallen, I will not take their threat lightly. I will show them what it means to face one of the chosen.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 Defend Something You Hold (Position) = (2+2)+2 = 6
• You hold it decisively against your enemy’s advance
Weapon is 20mm autocannon (6-harm far area messy).

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:30

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Cool 0 | Hard +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | 1-Armor | 1-Barter

"You're cool with me. You guys have anything else to settle, that's on your time. Anyone care to explain this, or is this Tazerface's piece?" I don't quite know enough weapon tech to have any idea what this thing is, but warmth without a source is an interesting problem. If Two-Ton's folk don't claim it, maybe I can pawn it to someone down the line. If they do... well, more sign I'm playing fair and clean with them, right?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard +1 | Cool +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 1/5 | 2-barter

Hm. It sounds like she really believes in this Glorifikus. I should get a little more out of her while she's still here. "Heyou, would you mind telling me a little more about this Glorifikus? What kind of man is he? And what did Mother Rust do to wrong your people? Oh, and," I pause to take a quick look around the room, "Would you also mind telling me where I am, exactly?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 2/5 | 2-Barter

"Oh. Thanks," I grumble and stick the pistol into my hoodie's pocket. What was that for? Does he expect something? I look around and rub my shoulder. "Then let's go?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Spec. Lombardi
You head towards the gunfire in a double-time jog that eats the distance. The land between Woodhold and Stasis(the Tallboys?) is criss-crossed with shattered pavement, broken up by trees and concrete ruins. The gunfire slows and stops, just in time for you to be nearly run over by a group of Woodholders panic-sprinting from the direction your headed. Screams of ‘Titan!’ are their only response to questions.

Your NBC monitor has been dutifully taking recordings, and shows upticks in readings every 98 seconds before dropping back down to background. You’re just about to clear the last large structure before the Tallboys(Stasis?) when the gunfire starts up again, mixed with explosions. And then you hear the sound of God’s own lawnmower.

Battle. It doesn’t last long, but its familiar cacophony stirs up half-remembered instincts.


Melody
The bonepicker’s smile returns. “I am a poor Singer, but I would be honored to Sing his Song to you. He’s a Lead of the Iron Choir, second only to Mother Rust. It was he that discovered the lost Album of Roth while on pilgrimage, prostrating before the Five Venues. Upon his return, he saw how mired Mother Rust had become, selling out to those that desired the Holy Pyros and silencing the other Leads. He alone stands up to her, and Oderus willing, he shall defeat her in the Rokoff.” She leans in, whispering conspiratorially. “But it was I that found this safety for him, buried on the edge of the Raven-Goddess’ territory. We will be safe here, the door bore the great rune HAZMAT.”

There’s a thump from the doorway, a large man resting his axe against the jamb. His stare sweeps over you and settles on your companion. Woman, if the Songstress has been tended to you have other duties. The luxe will be arriving soon and Glorifikus wants them treated well.” Heyou bows and give your hand a squeeze before collecting the tray and moving to the door.


Zero and Corvi
Disappointment covers Attache’s face as he finishes the handover of the payment, and Dakota continues to laugh at him as they set off to the hidden vehicle. The junkwagon starts rough, but the engine settles down quickly. It takes the broken ground of the Bonefields easily, and you’re soon making good time. Zero, how’s the driving in the Bonefields, anything to be worried about? And Corvi, have you ever visited the Tallboys before?

The one luxe thing about the junkwagon is its radio, a large mast feeding into a console pristine enough to still be flashing 12:00. The tuneage from Swamp Ash Radio comes in loud and clear, at least at the start. A few minutes after clearing the Bonefields, it starts to crackle and break up, and is replaced by a woman’s velvety voice. “Ahhh, Dakota you old bag, my scannermajig here is saying you’re alot lighter than you should be. You haven’t ditched my boyos have you? If I don’t hear from Davis toot sweet that everything is green with you and the deal, I’m gonna be pressing this nice red button that says ‘Boom’. So I recommend getting him to give me a holler, yeah?”


SKADI

Recorded Message posted:

You should be dead.

Heracles should be ripped apart. You should be hanging upside down from a yardarm, entrails spilling out from a slit abdomen. Head mounted on a plaque.
Holy shiiit Artie
The Huntsmen come at you, without fear. Darting from cover to cover, never allowing you to focus in any direction for more than a few seconds. Multiple explosive-spears hit your suit’s joints, triggering multiple warnings.

In the end its the facility’s defenses that save you, keeping them from swarming you. Well, the defenses and your autocannon. Cover and dexterity can only do so much against a blanket of 20mm fire. The Huntsmen may have been able to damage you suit, but you doubt any will be able to walk away from this fire-fight.
(Exchange of harm: Huntsmen (small gang so 3-harm/2armor) vs. SKADI (6-harm/2armor). Walking suit suffers 1-harm and is ok, Huntsmen suffer 4-harm and are mostly dead/dying and are in no condition to continue the assault. As they were using explosives, Artemis needs to roll harm(with +0 harm))


Armstrong
There’s another round of shrugs and head-shakes. You’re not sure if its genuine ignorance or if the crews just don’t want to risk antagonizing you/Goldie. Either way, looks like the knife is now yours. Under Goldie’s eye the mess is straightened up and a light chatter starts up again. There’s a light hand on your arm. Shade, you’d almost forgotten about her. “I wouldn’t hold that too close Armstrong, and you’ll want to keep it in a lead box.” Her voice is low and urgent. “Its nukium, taken from a demon core. If the edge doesn’t get you, its poisons will.” Her hand squeezes tighter. “Is there somewhere we can talk, alone? I didn’t want to say anything yet but it looks like poo poo is moving faster than we thought.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 2/5 | 2-Barter

This will be my first time in the Tallboys. Never hear about the good loot there. Only the people not coming back. So I never found a reason to go. Suppose there must be good stuff there, with all the over equipped fools dying there. But that's a maybe that wasn't worth testing.

"...Unsurprising," I snort with my arms folded. "Well. Is this a two way? Should we tell her anything? ...Maybe more work?" I can think of one job the woman might have concerning a pair of birds that flew the coup.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


SKADI
Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 3:00 Ammo


Whatever the revenants were expecting, it wasn't me. My gun rips them apart as they try to press the attack, and the automated defenses add to the slaughter. Their explosives must have been made for killing titans though, because they're more than strong enough to damage my jack and to buffet me inside of it.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+0 harm = (6+6)+0 = 12

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.



Cool +1 | Hard +3 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird 0
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


I am going to rip Dakota's head off.

I bring the junkwagon to an abrupt stop; the ride had been smooth up to this point, or at least as smooth as riding in this terrain in a truck like this could be, but this warranted immediate attention. I lean down to look at the radio, taking a few seconds to respond to Corvi as my left hand rummages around in my coat for my voice, my right checking for a way of talking back to the woman on the other end. Terricloth, presumably. "Looks like it," I reply, taking the handset and holding it up to her, before looking under the dash to see if the bomb the woman hinted at is there. "We killed her men, so she might trigger the bomb if we tell her what happened as revenge" I say, opening the door so I can check under the truck next, before pausing; if she can monitor how heavy the truck's load is, she might take it suddenly getting lighter as Dakota and Attache trying to flee and set it off anyway. "She'll also set it off if we don't do something, though," I continue, leaning back into my seat and thinking.

Given how she chooses to live, Corvi might not be any better with people than I am, thinking about it. But at least her voice is obviously neither Dakota's, nor something Dakota could fake; if I replied, the woman might think I'm just Dakota talking through a piece of tech or something.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Zero and Corvi
So Corvi, how hitech was Titan and His army? I mean thanks to Armstrong radios are a known quantity, but how deep is your knowing? Zero, a quick look under the dash and seat reveals a whole bunch of wires, but at least some of them look out of place from the general rat’s nest. A bit newer, and as far as you know nothing inside the bench seat requires electricity.

Unless Dakota has reinvented heated seats, but then he’d be a god instead of a wildcat fixer.


SKADI
Damage report comes back fairly clean, except for the servos in Heracles’ legs. They aren’t out of commission, but having to reboot/activation-cycle them means you’re going to be off-balance and barely mobile for a few minutes. And while trying to speed up the process you accidentally close out a HUD warning before you can read it. But really, this far from any active plates, how important could a seismograph warning be?
(I choose 2 from the 7–9 list: You lose your footing and You miss noticing something important..)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Spc. Lombardi

Grenades, panicked locals, gunfire, and is that a CIWS? That's got to be the defenses activating, would explain the klaxon. The defenses? The klaxon? The Siren's Gate? The pieces are starting to come together. It's me. It's the facility. But what's a Titan? That's the missing piece, but I bet it's got something to do with this reactor. Is something trying to breach the gates? gently caress! I've got to see what the hell is going on.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Cool 0 | Hard +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | 1-Armor | 1-Barter

poo poo. poo poo. I was worried it was going to be something like that, some oldtech thing that's now a deathtrap, and I just nod to Shade as I hustle back inside the Bunker, hoping she follows me. There's a heavy box inside one of the store rooms that I think is lead-lined, and I beeline there and shove it inside as soon as I can manage, latching it behind me. "Guess I gotta throw that out in the wastes somewhere next time I'm out." I glance back to Shade, realizing I may be talking to myself, but continue as long as she's there. "Okay, talk to me. Please?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 2/5 | 2-Barter

"Right right." I nod as I mostly follow. That all makes enough sense. "So what happened didn't happen."

I pick up the radio transmitter. "Hello, who is this?" I'll need to know anyway. But establishing my ignorance will be important for playing dumb.

I wonder what type of leader corrals the ruffbois. Their name evokes the ruggedness of Titan's devout but a car bomb trap is much too sniveling. Tech wasn't frowned upon in of itself. But it is an unreliable crutch. Guns jam and run dry. The weak could wave them around and that weakness was found in the tool. Crossbows you can keep the bolts. Bows are more impressive. It was important to be impressive. Not let anyone get any ideas. Titan only ran a tight ship among his closest. The rest would sort themselves out and the cream would rise to the top. The fast, and crazy if you ask me, would charge into battle with only their wits and luck to protect them. I would be shocked when any of them returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Spec. Lombardi
As you inch around cover, you at last get a good look at the area that has recently become a battlefield. And yes, you’ve been here before, your path to and from Stasis lay to the north, along the tree-line. But the open land you saw to the south has been transformed, its isolated trees and concrete structures shredded by weapons fire. Floods push back the encroaching night, illuminating the the bodies and wreckage. And in the shadows of the opening (Siren’s Gate? Main Vehicle Entrance?), an immense humanoid figure is braced against the metal of the bulkhead-gate. Easily four meters tall, its clad in metal and hefting a gun normally seen on a vehicle mount.

Distracted as you are by this sight, a strong hand clamps on your lower leg. A man, clad in deerskins and antlers like the bodies strewn about, lays slumped against a wall-remnant. His other arm hangs useless, shattered by bullets. “Its no Destroyer, L’nai’s Fool, its Titan returned to avenge himself. You must go warn Dremmer, our Lord must make ready!” The man shifts his grip to a large-headed spear and leverages himself up with a groan. “Go woman! I will distract him!”


Armstrong
Shade settles down on an old crate and sighs. “You may not want to get rid of it for good, could be useful. Just, you know, not something to keep on your belt.” She pauses for a bit before continuing. “Upfront, there’s going to be alot of things I’m not telling you. Can’t tell you. I shouldn’t even go as far as I’m going, but it looks like the General is pushing up the timetable. So. Let’s just say that I’m a member of an enclave of folks that have access to pre-Fall knowledge. Not like all of it, but enough to help things not be so lovely. Only, we’re having a bit of a difference of opinion. A sizeable fraction of us have come to the conclusion that things have to finish collapsing, all the way back to the Stone Age before the Destroyers will be satisfied and leave. They were voted down, but there’s evidence that they’re acting on their own. Striking out secretly at the bastions of civilization. And don’t take this the wrong way Armstrong, but your operation is a pretty soft target. I don’t have details, but I’m pretty sure Crompton’s going to be back in a few days, and he’s gonna have some new toys.”


Corvi
There’s a bit of a pause, a slight crackle and Zero’s shifting around the only noise. “Well you’re not Davis, though I’m not complaining much ‘cause Davis has a voice made for pictures. But that’s the wrong question my little honey-voice. All you needs to know is that I’m the one that can inboominate the piece of poo poo you’re in. The important question is who are you and what’s happened to my boys?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«5 »