Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Post
  • Reply
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 2/5 | 2-Barter

Honey voice? What? Is she? Oh, she likes me voice? Huh. Okay, I'll... use, that?

"I'm guessing your boys were the corpses near this junker I thought was up for grabs. Me, I'm Corvi. But I think it would be better if I introduced myself in person. I think a more private setting than the airwaves would be better."

9 to manipulate. Go along with we didn't kill the rough boys, offering assurance of bringing myself to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.



Cool +1 | Hard +3 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird 0
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


Well, that's a start. Those wires probably lead to either the bomb or some other bit of tech that was set up here, like whatever she's monitoring the truck's weight with. That's something. Though unless I can do something about it, all it tells me is that we might be sitting right on top of the bomb, without even the base of the car between us and it to weaken the blast. Which is not ideal.

While Corvi speaks with the woman, I continue looking, and thinking, in case the lie doesn't work or the woman on the other end decides to be vindictive. A plan forming, I open up the junkwagon's back window, leaning out and taking my clutchplate from the back without leaving the truck and changing the weight in it, setting it up in the front with me instead. Then, closing the window behind me, I start driving again, even though the woman hasn't given us a destination yet. We may get one soon, but if not, well, I'd like a bit of speed for what will probably happen next.

Read a sitch = (3+4)+1 = 8. Not sure what to ask, so I'll go with, "What is my enemy's true position?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Spc. Lombardi

"No," and the firm but kind reply is out of my mouth before I've even thought about it. "Dremmer will know soon enough," I assure him. I have to assume that's true. There's many questions I have for this Huntsman, but he's in no shape to answer them. "Hide and survive. I know something of this Titan, and I will stop it." Half a lie, half hope, but I do know that it has a modern (to me!) gun system and so we've got some common cause. Another indicator lights up on the forearm control rig, indicating that we're in range of Stasis; I tap it and reconnect to the main system. And then I stride forwards, into the clearing, weapons down. If it wants me dead I'm already dead, no need to provoke it further. I say it, but there's someone inside. There's got to be.

Confidence breeds power, and I shout to the walker. I bet that loving thing can hear me. "Unknown mech, identify yourself." I continue to stride forward. The klaxons sound again. Timing is good. "You are trespassing on a secure site." And I wait for a reply.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 3:00 Ammo


I'm finishing up the reboot process of the actuators when the new arrival calls out to me. I snap back to awareness, acquiring the target rapidly - but then pause. The automated defenses haven't engaged them, and the challenge they'd called out...

I zoom in on them with the scanners, aiming the cannon in their direction but not directly at them. The AI scans, and then pops up an informational screen.

pre:
THREAT DETECTED
CATEGORY: EINHERJAR
**** PRIORITY OBJECTIVE ****
DETERMINE OPERATIONAL STATUS
DETERMINE MISSION PARAMETERS
For the third or fourth time tonight, I am taken completely by surprise - not a good sign. The existence of Einherjar was a favorite rumor on Olympus, the legend of a parallel failsafe enacted by the last of our forebears as their world came crashing down. And now one stands before me, in the flesh, clad in a uniform last worn by figures made legendary by our history. I activate the speakers and suit lamps.

"Lt. Commander Liu-Tereshkova, callsign SKADI, Task Group VALKYRIE, acting under ELYSIUM level authority for Reclamation Control. Name yourself, Einherjar."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:31

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Zero
Yeah, the bomb is up under your seat, you can see its bottom through the slit material as you trace the wires. It doesn’t look big enough to blow the junkwagon apart, but its definitely big enough to gib the passengers inside the cab. Some good news: you don’t see any attachment points, it looks like its just wedged into the springs.


Corvi
“Hmmmmmm. That name sounds familiar, but its not on my poo poo-list. I am intrigued enough to postpone your horrible death, for a little while at least. There’s an old ‘caster tower about half-way between The Works and Bonefields. Laika’s Rest if you’re a local. I’m there, come over and chat. Don’t get any ideas, I’m not alone.”

You know this tower Corvi, on a clear day you can see its enormous skeleton from the Roost. Armstrong may have rigged it up with a cast-booster, but its had many uses in its day. Do you know any of its secrets?


Spec. Lombardi
The link to Stasis Control establishes with a happy chirp. The NBC monitor minimizes as several high priority alerts display:

Stasis Control posted:


-Warning: Perimeter Alert
*link to external cameras*
-Warning: Seismic monitors registering readings consistent with multiple Class 3 movement traces
-Warning: Seismic abnormalities have damaged Facility reactor vents. No loss of function. Minimal environmental release.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



"Specialist Maria Lombardi, Multilateral Stasis Project. Acting Mission Commander." The words spill right out of my mouth before I even recall them. They're correct, though, that much I do know. I'm not sure I'm even fazed by a giant walker at this point. Why not? Haven't been able to draw a bead on exactly how long I've been on ice, and everything's clearly gone to poo poo anyway. "How long you been here, SKADI?" My arm goes up in front of my eyes, those are some pretty powerful lights, right in my drat eyes. "Why are you terrorizing the locals?" I tap the link to the perimeter cameras. Maybe it'll give me some better vantage points.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 2/5 | 2-Barter

Hrrn. I hope she's not established in the tower. There's a lot of service tunnels in that area but that is of course useless if I am on a tower. Those tunnels are winding and interconnected. That type of terrain is what I prefer. Open fields is a death wish.

"Okay." I put down the receiver.

"I'm guessing you don't want to come too, Zero."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Cool 0 | Hard +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | 1-Armor | 1-Barter

I wish I could say that this was a shock, but... well, okay, it is a shock. Crompton rolling back up isn't any big surprise, but rolling up with a bunch of well-armed cavemen? Great. Fantastic. And here I'd hoped to spend the day figuring out how I'm paying next month's fuel bill. Didn't think it was going to be too hard, but...

"Okay," I say. "poo poo. Okay. What I'm getting here is that we're talking about people with oldtech who want to burn everything down? Crompton always wanted to take this place for himself -- you think he's gonna settle for razing it instead, or are his buddies planning to deliver it as long as he keeps it all hunter-gather? ... Not sure it matters. Either way, we need heavy artillery." Which means we need pay for heavy artillery. The level we need aren't going to be satisfied with safe lodgings, I'm guessing -- well, okay, you never know, but I have to prepare for the worst.

"May as well ask. You have a line on good mercs, Shade? Or is this going to be up to me?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Spec. Lombardi
Four video windows replace everything else, three showing the mech from various angles. It doesn't have the rundown look of most things you've seen since waking up, but it has taken some minor damage recently. The fourth window shows a patch of ground you aren't familiar with, the soil turned over in a spot a few feet across.

Armstrong
Shade looks uncomfortable for a moment before speaking. "I don't think the General would take someone like Crompton in confidence, its more likely he's letting the little rear end in a top hat do whatever to weaken you and the rest of the Muckfolk. He can always take away Crompton's toys later and crush him when he's not useful anymore."

She fishes out a small plastic card, silvery-grey with age-worn runes embossed on its surface. "We were hoping you might already have some friends to call in, folks seem to like you. But we also don't want you to start the dominos, so I can offer some direct assistance." She offers you the card, the runes AMEX still legible on its surface. "I've cultivated an... understanding with Tiny, the headtalker of Stockards ruffbois. If you need them this card will bring them, although you'll probably need to sweeten the pot to get their full cooperation."

She looks uncertain again. "Be warned though, the card is an object of power, and using it would align you to us to those that have the knowing if such things."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 3:00 Ammo


"The Revenants chose to attack me," I reply, perhaps a bit testily. "Clearly they did not know they were facing one of the Chosen." I let the cannon drop. "And they were unprepared for the automated defenses. Foolish of them."

I take a breath, and then return to the other questions. "I was inserted into the operational area 208956 seconds ago. Acting mission commander? What became of the other Einherjar?"

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:31

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



"Haven't you ever heard of hours?" I weigh my options here. Don't want to reveal too much information, but I don't have much else to bargain with. I return to her question. "Same to you - where's the other Chosen?" Are there more of these drat mechs around? gently caress! And let's push the pace here. "Not sure if you've realized it, SKADI, but Einherjar, Chosen, Revenant, Local, Farmer, President...if you're here, now? You're hosed."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard +1 | Cool +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 1/5 | 2-barter

As Heyou turns and starts to leave, I start to carefully look around the room, looking for anything I could possibly use to escape.

quote:

@Melody (Hugzilla): 2d6+1 Read a sitch = (4+4)+1 = 9
Marking XP, and asking: Where's my best escape route?

...Of course, even if I do find the perfect route I could use for my exit, that still doesn't solve the manacle issue. Can't escape if I'm still chained up, but, hm...I think I might have a solution to that little problem. Let's hope this works.

"Wait!" I say, trying to get Heyou's attention before they leave, "Before you leave, could I possibly ask you for something, first? Just one, small, little, thing?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


The last of the Sun’s light fades from beyond the Lost Fleet, and true night has come to Rinpurt Valley. Clouds gather over the southern mountains, and the echoes of lightning-less thunder roll across the land.


Corvi and Zero
Laika’s Rest looms above you now, even at this distance. Here and there, hi-lights blink among its skeleton. Corvi, the darkness makes your long-lookers less than green, but you can still mark generalities. A cluster of tents surround a few fires at the base of the tower, and a large number of men are backlit. A few bright lectrics shine up in the lower reaches, bracketing a scrap-metal hut bolted to the frame.

An additional reason for stopping here: the small concrete structure to your left leads into the tunnels under the Rest.


Spec. Lombardi and SKADI
While the harsh lights of Siren’s Gate still illuminate the area, the klaxons cease their hell-howl. Just in time, Spec. Lombardi, for you to hear the breathy scream of the wounded Huntsman behind you. Something serpentine has wrapped around him and pulled him into the ground. Only his grip on the thunderstick has kept him from being taken completely.

SKADI, Heracles’ HUD lights up as several large furrows begin disturbing the ground. Signs of large things moving through the soil under the surface. Large angry things


Melody
Adrenaline narrows your focus, reinterpreting your surroundings. While the door is the most obvious exit, it leads to the Axe-guy and an unknown distance between you and the door. However, the lovely roof above you has possibilities. Its mostly rebarb mesh, and with a bit of effort and fair amount of luck you should be able to worm your way up and out. Oh, and if you weren’t attached to the bed.

The bonepicker turns back to you, the rictus-smile plain on her face. Axe-guy snort and hefts his axe. “Remember your other duties wretch, I will be tending to mine.” He then turns and leaves, his footsteps receding until you hear the sound of metal-on-metal. Heyou makes to your side and pats your free hand. “Yes Songstress? I am here to be helpful.”


Armstrong
The tension is broken somewhat by a pounding on the door. “Hey Brother-Mine, the playlist you set up for the break is almost over. I can spin the next set if you need more time to finish with Shade.” The amusement is evident in Goldie’s voice, she’s taken a different interpretation of your private chat.

She’s perfectly capable of operating the equipment, but she has decidedly different tastes in music. And the last time she spun, it took nearly a week to convince Dakota not to lower his donation.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Cool 0 | Hard +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | 1-Armor | 1-Barter

This whole thing has me hesitant, and I take the card. I don't like getting involved in faction stuff, but if it's a faction who's trying to actively wipe civilization out, I may already have chosen a side just by trying to keep this place up and running. "How much time you figure we have? I can work some contacts, if we've got the time, but if not... well, we'll be calling this in, hopefully nip things in the bud. Thanks, Shade --"

And there's Goldie, like clockwork. "-- and now I should get back to the air." Before I stand up to get back to the station, I run a hand through my hair, even though there's no need; just old reflex, I guess.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 3:00 Ammo


"That is why I am here," I tell Lombardi. A bit sharply, perhaps. "To set things right, and take back our world. Reclamation begins, Einherjar. ASGARD has decreed-"

The alerts on my HUD interrupt my declaration. The AI struggles to identify the threat, but at least I can see where it is. Mostly.

"Specialist, ware beneath!" I bring my gun to bear, trying to find a true target.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 Read a Sitch = (4+1)+1 = 6
Wah wah.
• What’s my enemy’s true position?

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2018 around 01:38

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 2/5 | 2-Barter

"Good luck with that bomb." I wave to Zero as I trudge to the camp. I'd rather Zero doesn't die, he was good company for work. Suppose that's half the reason of doing this. And to fish for more jingle.

I walk up to the most official looking shlub in the mob. "Oi, boss expecting me. Where can I meet her?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?



Corvi
Even though your interactions with these Ruffbois has been limited, you’ve recognized they work off of a shoulder pad-based command hierarchy. Biggest looks down at you and smirk, the rest of the bois shifting not-so-subtly to bring weapons within easy reach. “Daboss don’t deal with Bone-trash, freak. So why don’t y-” He’s cut off by a shrill whistle from above. Backlit by the lectrics is possibly the fanciest woman you’ve ever seen. A pristine fur coat wards off the night’s gathering chill, and her hair is styled in a way you haven’t seen outside of the scraps of zine that insulate the Roost.

“I actually am expecting her Pillz, so be a good boy and show her the stairs.” Her voice is even silkier in person, but there’s no mistaking the undercurrent of command. The bois go back to dinner, and Pillz angrily points to a staircase running up a support column.

(Just an FYI, the Ruffbois here are a medium gang with a better selection of weapons. (2-harm 1-armor))


Armstrong
Shade blushes at Goldie’s implication, but shakes it off quickly. “Two days? Three at the most. Crompton isn’t that bright, and whatever aid he is getting will be more complicated to handle than a nukium blade. But the General has a time-table of some sort so he won’t broke too much of a delay.” She hesitates, then squeezes your shoulder. “Good luck. I won’t be able to come back for a bit in case I’m being watched, but I will be thinking of you and yours.”


SKADI
The AI finally gets a lock and pulls up a helpful file:

"Spawn of Shahmaran posted:

https://i.imgur.com/WOdjgEK.gifv
CENTAUR class threat. The epics indicate that they are lesser version of the JOTUNN Shahmaran that roam her territory. Subterranean nature makes direct engagement at range difficult, however they are sensitive to seismic disturbances.

There are two Spawn, one surfacing in the vicinity of Lombardi, one circling the open area/battlefield closer to you. The realization dawns as you mutter the rites of analysis. If you engage the Spawn nearest you the other will be free to do as it will to Lombardi and any others. But if you engage that one, you’ll leave yourself wide open to the one nearer you, and CENTAUR class threats are capable of doing serious damage to your walking frame.

(Spawn of Shahmaran (Lesser Destroyers): massive=2, speed=1, handling=0, (3-harm close/messy 1-armor))

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



We'll have to sort out just what the gently caress that all means later, I figure, as loving WORMS THE SIZE OF A BUS break through the ground. I dive for cover somewhat instinctively, but realize that cover from something eating up the ground beneath you isn't all that useful. I bring my rifle up, maybe it'll do some good? And we'll see just where the ground rumbles next. I wish I had a loving RPG.

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+3 Act Under Fire = (5+1)+3 = 9

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 2/5 | 2-Barter

This is already exceeding expectations. I hurry up away from the rough on the eyes boys. Her room is more like a vault. The roost of a magpie. "Nice little nest you've made for yourself." I take off my talon and set it aside to cement I am here to talk. She looks like I could peck her eyes out anyway. I'm confident but I don't stop sizing her up. There must be something she does to wrangle the boys. "You have all sorts of nice toys. I like them. It is why I tried to lay claim to the one. I suppose you want to know what happened to your boys? I could look into it for you. Whatever it was, it was someone with some lux murdering bits. All cleaved and torn apart." I fold my arms and think about that metal beast I would be looking for now. It probably has blast pipes like Zero keeps, or even better. Might need something better than just the talon. A solid can opener.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Corvi
The woman motions you to a chair on one side of the shack, away from the hitec and luxes. She lounges down on some sort of sofa-chair, and extracts a coughing-nail from a shiny case. Lighting it with a small mechanism, she motions to you again. “While I am indeed interested in what happened to my bois, I’m even more interested in the fate of that shitheap’s original owner. The old freelancer Dakota or his batboi?” She eyes you speculatively, then frowns. “I’m afraid that I simply can’t straight-talk you with that thing on your face. I don’t care if you’re horribly scarred, I’ve seen my share in the House of the Risen Sun.”


Spec. Lombardi
The great thing about instinct is that you don’t have to think about it. The downside is that it doesn’t always plan ahead. Your body is scrambling up the side of a ruined building even as you bring your rifle to bear. Looks like you’re safely out of reach up here, but most of the actual roof is collapsed. Not alot of space to do much beyond perching.

Below you the Huntsman’s screams are cut off as the thunderstick he’s clutching snaps under the strain and he’s pulled down into the maw. The serpent-tongues begin casting about in you direction, seemingly confused by your sudden movement. Beyond the creature you can see a half-dozen or so thundersticks scattered about the area, remnants of the force that attacked this SKADI.

(You are safe, but it is precarious. You won’t need to roll Act Under Fire, but ‘you fall off and injure yourself’ is now added to the list of bad things that can happen)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



"The fuuuuck are these, SKADIIII... you got a fuckin' code name for this too?" I grab a rusted guardrail and it creaks but holds steady. "Here's what I've got on this," and I let the rifle hang from its sling. Bringing my other hand up, I shout out the seismic indicators I've got. Hopefully that autocannon will shred these things and with my data, she shouldn't get taken by surprise. Yes, I suppose I'm letting her know some of my capabilities, but that's subordinate to Mission Objective One right now.

Leave No One Behind.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006




Hard +1 | Cool +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -2
Harm 0:00 | Experience: 1/5 | 2-barter

I glance over at the door to make sure the axe-man is gone, and once I'm sure he's not around, I look at Heyou, smiling sweetly at her, "Heyou, listen, if it's no trouble for you, would you mind doing something about these?" I gesture at my cuffs, "It's not like I'll escape, and besides, there should be no harm in getting rid of them, right?" I take her hand, and squeeze it gently, my eyes meeting her gaze, "Would you please do me this one favor, Heyou? Please?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 2/5 | 2-Barter

"I..." A primal animal panic goes through my head once I realize he's telling me to take off my face. Instantly I crouch and toss a few bones to see how they land. I will not offer my jugular to any pretty woman that asks. And I don't have time to study her. So I will consult the fates.

8 open mind to the maelstrom. Trying to sense danger

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 6:00 Ammo


"Spawn of Shahmaran, CENTAUR class threat," I reply, bringing my weapons to bear as the Spawn close in. Their positioning creates a devil's bargain for me - if I protect the Einherjar, then the other will be able to flank me. The choice is a false one, but the damage from the other Spawn will be difficult to overcome.

And then Lombardi gives me the answer. Of course the Einherjar have their own secrets from the lost age. With the targeting data updating, I can track the second Spawn and avoid it's attacks while focusing on the one nearer Lombardi. And thus, that is what I do. "My thanks, Einherjar."

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 Defend Something You Hold = (5+6)+2 = 13
20mm autocannon (6-harm far area messy)
• You inflict terrible harm (+1harm).
• You suffer little harm (-1harm).
• You hold it decisively against your enemy’s advance.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Corvi
The Endsong’s winds whip through the shack, catching your bones in mid-toss. They whirl about, taking the form of the woman before you. Terricloth, her name is Terricloth. Her true form. A creature of chrome and brass, endlessly calculating angles and probabilities. Masks whirl about its head, showing annoyance, showing lust, showing curiosity. But none touching the eternal mathematics within.


Melody
You’re certain that Heyou would be blushing right now, if her scarred face was capable of it. She takes one look at the door before fishing a twisted bit of metal from her rags. A few moments of poking and the cuff unlocks. “Just, if The Axecutioner returns keep your hand up there so he doesn’t see Songstress.” She reaches towards your face, but stops short and scurries out of the room
(The nameless bone-picker uses 1-hold to give you what you need)

Now that you have a better angle, you can totally see a path up through the rebarb mesh to freedom. Though if you want to ascend quickly/quietly it will take steady nerves.
(Act Under Fire to climb out without complication, you’ll get a +1 from your Read)


Spec. Lombardi and SKADI
The ‘Spawn’ menacing you dies in the thunderous roar of the mech’s gun Lombardi, giving you a first-hand demonstration of its destructive power. Definitely similar to Stasis’ defensive emplacements, they can’t have too much spare ammo on that frame.
Your autocannon deals with the one Spawn handily SKADI, and you’re able to side-step the other Spawn’s attack with the help of Lombardi. It scrapes some paint, but it can’t close easily against your superior firepower. It attempts a few more passes at you, before it seems to give up and both your targeting and Lombardi’s seismic sensors track it leaving the courtyard heading west. That would be towards Woodhold Lombardi+.
(Spawn 1 takes 7-harm vs. 1-armor, is dead. Spawn 2 attacks 2-harm vs. 2-armor, SKADI’s fine. Spawn 2 yields the area to SKADI’s defense)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 3/5 | 2-Barter

Yes. A clever girl. A thinker. Unlike Titan. Perhaps Weasel will be better suited to talk to her after all. I shove the bones back into my pocket and unlatch my mask. "...Very well. No masks." I take off my face and stare Terricloth in the eyes. I try not the falter. This is a risky gambit. I keep a tight grip on my face. It keeps my hands busy and ready to reassert myself. "None for you either." I step up to her. "So, what do you want?"

Terri will be stunned from the mask being taken off. Corvi will use that time to get in her face, trying to cover up her own anxiousness

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at Jan 9, 2018 around 02:27

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



I can't help but give a bit of a cheer when SKADI's walker splatters one of the worms. The elation quickly turns to a growing realization that the other worm is heading back towards Woodhold. gently caress! "Nice job, SKADI. Can you intercept the escaping worm? It's going to wreck Woodhold!" I can't imagine that Dremmer's got anything that can remotely handle this...thing. Not from what I've seen of his crew and town. I check a few more seismic monitors and work my way back to the ground, slowly. I'm pretty resigned to whatever SKADI can, or will, do.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.



Cool +1 | Hard +3 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird 0
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


I give Corvi a thumbs up as she leaves, before turning my attention back to the truck. From what I saw while driving, the bomb might not be in here that tight; lifting up the seat, I take a closer look at it to see just how easy it will be to get out. With Corvi in there talking to her, the woman from the radio probably won't set it off, so I have a window to get it out. And then throw it through her window, perhaps. I'll have to think about it. A bomb could be useful to have, but not one where I'm not the person who decides when it explodes.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Corvi
“Yes, thank you. Much beeeee…..” Terricloth trails off as she stares slack-jawed at Weasel. Her mouth works soundlessly, the coughing-nail falling to the ground. This close you can see that while she is indeed an attractive woman, life has left its marks on her. Several scars and wrinkles are hidden by skilled use of covergirl. You even think that her eyes aren’t actually the blue of the Before-sky, you can see rings of mudbrown around the outer edges. A solid layer, between her and the world...

“Yyyyeah.” It seems she’s recovering her voice. “Find Dakota, reward. Find the boi-killer, I’m happy. Keep wagon, gift for… preeetty.” Looks like you have so time if you wanted to do something before she was fully with it, but she’s throwing off the her shock pretty quickly.


Zero
Yeah, now that you’re not bouncing around or afraid of it going off its pretty easy to see what’s going on. It actually slides a bit out when you lift the seat, its mainly the tangle of wires that’s holding it in. Which does raise a problem as none of them are helpfully labeled. Given its size, if you just rip it out and chuck it you should be clear of the blast. But cutting it out without hitting the wrong wire, that’ll be a bit tricky.
(bomb is 4-harm area messy)


Spec. Lombardi
The seismic monitors track this ‘Spawn’ about a third the way to Woodhold before it passes beyond some threshold for precision tracking. It did look to be taking several detours, possibly to circle around underground obstructions. A reasonable speed should be able to keep pace with it.

And a thought strikes you as you pick your way down the rubble. While you haven’t seen any heavy weapons around Woodhold, the bridges and walkways between steel-reinforced concrete buildings make a bit more sense. Perhaps weird loving monsters like the Spawn aren’t unknown to them?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 6:00 Ammo


With Lombardi's data, my walking suit makes short work of one Spawn and sends the other fleeing. The power of the armor is as great as we had hoped, a good sign for the success of Reclamation.

To my surprise, the einherjar moves off in pursuit of Spawn, expressing concern for what must be a Revenant settlement. I hesitate for a moment, then begin to follow. The einherjar may prove critical to my mission, so I'd like to remain in her good graces for now.

"Grab on then," I tell her, moving up beside. The suit has external handles and attachments for just this purpose, after all. "Otherwise we won't catch it."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 3/5 | 2-Barter

Weakness. Opportunity. I need to strike. Seize it.

I straddle Terricloth on the lounge. My breath is heavy and I'm locked onto her eyes, really I'm terrified of this back firing. "That little jalopy? A woman like you can surely lavish gifts upon her friends."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



gently caress it. I grab one of the infantry handles and try not to let the bobbing and stomping get to me. "Do not fight the Woodholders," I tell SKADI, "if you can destroy this other worm in sight of them and stand down I suspect that will do wonders for relations, you know?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Corvi
Terricloth’s eyes widen and her breathing becomes ragged. One hand reaches up to cup Weasel’s face and stroke her hair, the other dips into the neckline of her dress and produces a bedazzled key. “Yessss, a pretty for my pretty. My Cruzer for you.”

The hand in Weasel’s hair becomes a fist, gripping tight. Terricloth pulls herself up, seeking you. Lips. Moans. Hunger. She’s made her intentions known, but you’re stronger than she is if you’d like to cut and run.


Spec. Lombardi and SKADI
The walking frame eats up the distance, gaining on the Spawn, but it still reaches its destination first. But all is not lost, it seems that a warning preceded all three of you. The ‘streets’ of the trading post are empty, frightened faces peering from upper-story windows. Dremmer’s bois line the bridges and parapets, rifles at the ready.

A single person, a sickly man wrapped in rags, is at ground level. He bounces along, attached to an overhead hoist by a length of stretchy possibly-bungee. He yells out for help as he tries to climb to safety, but the two Huntsmen on the hoist maneuver him away. You see a furrow in the ground behind him that he doesn’t notice, though the assembled guns begin to track it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome



Cool 0 | Hard +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | 1-Armor | 1-Barter

"Thanks. I appreciate it. ... You stay safe too. World needs whatever it can get of the people who know their poo poo." I nod to her, then start heading back to the DJ booth. I've got work to do.

There are people I need to call, first and foremost. Maybe that operator Zero would be worth asking, if I can get the word out -- when you need reliable violence, Zero's one of the first names, and a lot of people's last. Solid operator. Few others, too, and Zero might know them... of course, there's also the wisdom of the crowds, and their momentum. The more I think about it, the more it seems stupid to keep quiet. Why not see if I can rouse the listeners a little, see who really cares?

"Good afternoon, friends," I say as my track fades out. "This is Armstrong coming to you live from Swamp Ash Radio, and it's another beautiful day out in the marshes, depending on your definition of 'beautiful.' Everyone's different, the whole big tapestry... except for a certain class of fucker who don't seem to include the continued existence of this radio station in their vision of a perfect world. Are they desperate fuckers? Stupid fuckers? Fuckers who just hate music? I don't know, friends, and I'd rather not find out. All I want it to keep the tunes flowing for you, give you something to look forward to, something to discover. Something to dance to. Your old buddy Armstrong's gonna need a little hand, though..."

Using Rally to the Cause to speak in favor of the radio station's continued existence:
Rally to the Cause (preserve the radio): 1d10+2 11
Holding 2 for future use.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



"They're using him as bait," I realize. Seems like they know what they're doing. I hope they know what they're doing. "SKADI," I ask, "what kind of precision you have on that cannon? Can you get the worm without wrecking Woodhold?" Time is clearly short.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 4/5 | 2-Barter

Fade. Can't think of an in character way to put it but going to keep the woman happy. Don't want to hold things up.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at Jan 22, 2018 around 00:19

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.



Cool +1 | Hard +3 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird 0
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 2-Barter


Hrm. Almost so easy. Almost.

I could just rip it out the rest of the way and throw it through a window or something. It'd definitely make me feel better. But, Corvi's still in there. I doubt she'd appreciate me making things difficult for her, even if she'd probably be able to handle herself in the ensuing chaos. She's a business relationship I'd like to preserve for now, if possible.

So, I have time to try to figure this out while I wait for her. I don't know exactly how this works, and the wires are a tangled mess, but they're colored. Whether or not the colors mean anything, I don't know, but I see what's connected to what without having to untangle that knot. Also, while I don't know what some of these mechanisms are, I can probably figure out what they're not by looking at them. With that, I think can figure out what I need to remove.

Probably. If it does blow up... Well, that wouldn't be ideal.

The radio keeps running as I try to figure this out, and an interesting message from Armstrong plays. People are after Swap Ash Radio? That's strange, but it's also an opportunity; I needed some new work. I'll have to head down there sometime, see what they're offering.

Probably avoid mentioning that I plan to kill their number-one donor. They don't need to know that.

2d6+2 Act Under Fire = (6+5)+2 = 13
Full success, +1 XP for rolling Cool.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at Jan 20, 2018 around 05:26

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 6:00 Ammo


"Not that kind," I tell the soldier. And it's true - the cannon is designed to destroy titans in open combat, not make precision kills. But there are other options.

The walking suit skids to a halt. "Get off." As soon as the Specialist does so, I'm moving again, at full speed this time. I lower my shoulder as I close, trying to time it just right, so that I slam into the Spawn as it emerges and before it can grab the bait.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 SBF of Bait, Ramming Speed = (2+5)+2 = 9
+2 Massive, +3 Power
• You inflict terrible harm (+1harm).
• It’s safe, secure, and undamaged in the fighting

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Corvi
(There is now 1-hold in case Terricloth gets in the poo poo)
Time passes. There are no sappy goodbyes or angry remonstrations, just a businesswomanly acceptance of events as you are sent on your way. Its possible that Terricloth’s self-control isn’t as iron-clad as she would have the world think, and occasionally needs release. But that’s not really your ball of string. Or is it?

Anyways, the Ruffbois aren’t happy when you claim the Cruzer, but Terricloth seems quite happy to break camp without it. You can already see its going to be a pain to maintain without someone with the Knowing, but its gonna be a mighty fine ride until then.
(The Cruzer is a coupe (Massive 2, Speed 1, Handling 1) fast/offroad/luxe/cramped/guzzler)


Zero
Corvi’s negotiations take a bit, long enough for you to stow your little present and get the junkwagon resituated. And lucky for you, looks like none of the boom systems were wired into the ignition proper, it starts up fine. When Corvi does emerge, it looks like she’s got herself a set of wheels of herown, in addition to getting a verbal contract on Dakota. As well as the killers of Terricloth’s ruffbois, but one problem at a time, yeah?


SKADI
(Spawn 2 takes 6-harm vs. 3-armor, takes 3-harm and is seriously wounded. SKADI’s takes v-harm: you take 1-harm ap)
You time it perfectly SKADI, knocking the Spawn away from the bait-man just as it breaches. It recovers quickly and slams you into one of VAB’s outbuildings, a chaos of snapping jaws and hydraulic fists. Its unholy strength wretches at the limbs of your frame, and the HUD lights up with warnings as the left arm’s actuators redline and die. Then a shot rings out, and a fresh crater explodes from the Spawn’s skull. Your HUD pops a new sub-screen, focusing on one of the remaining supports for the Vehicle Assembly Building. An older man in ancient finery, hoisting up a large rifle from its bipod. He gives you a curt nod and speaks.

“My thanks for holding it down, Child of Titan, the worms can be slippery beasts. And as you have added me and mine I will give you the option to leave Woodhold peacefully, never to darken my door again. Otherwise,” More threat indicators pop up as the Revenants swing their guns to you. “Otherwise I will deal with you as my papa dealt with your kind.” He raises his hand, removing a glove to reveal heavily scarred flesh. “I have suffered the Curse of Titan my entire life, and will not have it brought down on my lands by his children! GO! NOW!” There is cheering, not just from the men on the walls, but from those inside the buildings.
(The suit has taken 2-harm, so it has some functional damage. FYI, at Woodhold Dremmer’s thugs are a Large gang (2-harm 3-armor) as they are well fortified, and Dremmer is sporting a sniper rifle (3-harm far)


Spec. Lombardi
You gain you footing and get your bearings after the bumpy ride just in time to see Dremmer hole the Spawn with a rather nasty sniper rifle, and then proceed to denounce SKADI as some sort of boogeyman. It seems to play well with the entirety of Woodhold, as even the civilian join in. You see him look to you, and his voice effortly rises about the cheers and jeers. “L’nai’s Fool, I hold you blameless in this matter, you were not to know. But if you do wish to continue enjoying my hospitality, we shall have a speak soon.”


Armstrong
It feels good to let out some of your worries onto the air, it feels even better when Goldie finds you during a break and tells you that Two-Ton and Fair Dinkum have both left heavies behind ‘to lend a hand’. And that Vision has already pledged some paladins to ‘fight the Scourge of Darkness’. And she doesn’t press you for details, trusting you to bring her in the loop when needed. You’re the boss after all.



Unless anyone wants to get in a few parting words, or maybe destroy a hold, I am calling the End of Session One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 6:00 Ammo


The threat indicators on my HUD tell me these Revenants are far from harmless, but also no match for me. I consider putting them in their place, but I do not think the Einherjar would favor that. Not yet. Not until she understands the depth of their ignorance and foolishness. I reach down and grasp the heavy corpse of the Spawn, and fling it to land beneath the feet of this man.

"I gave you aid, of my own free will, as a favor to the Einherjar," I say, through the suit's loudspeaker. "I asked nothing in return for slaying a Spawn and for saving your man from this one. For giving up all I had known to reclaim humanity's home from the enemy, and to defend its scions still on holy Earth. And yet you threaten me, deny me hospitality, and call it a boon. You boast of your betrayal of common decency, of your ancestor's transgressions."

"You say you have suffered a curse all your life. I say, none are as accursed as the ungrateful. Know that what comes you have brought upon yourselves, by your own hand. Reclamation has begun, Revenant. Defy it at your own peril."

I turn away and start out of the settlement. There is much to report, and repairs to be done. "I will speak with you again, Einherjar. Seek me out when you tire of the company of churls."

Lombardi should get Hx+1 with me.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply