Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.



Cool=0 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp-1 Weird+1 0:00 | 2-Armor | XP 4/5 | 1-Barter

I lift my mask just enough to spit. "I'll let you off with a warning. Stay out of my turf." It must be a person in there. Like wearing a baby gargantuan as armor or something. I want it. But cracking it open here isn't going to get me to being able to use it. It looks complicated. And that gun I like is built into it. Or I'd consider just trying to cut that off and run with it.

Well I already got a new job lined up. Less of a head ache if I don't keep the lady waiting. That tower is pretty tall. It would make a nice roost...

I take the axe and head back to the car to get it working again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Spec. Lombardi
MarMar nods gravely, then makes an oddly familiar series of motions across her chest before kissing a medallion that was under her armor. You take off back towards the entrance, a not-quite-sprint that comes to you naturally. The doorway is clear as you begin your ascent, but as your head clears the ground level you see a squirrelly fucker set back several feet from the door, shotgun raised. He’s standing on the broken pavement, using the raised slab of the entrance as cover. But while this means you don’t see him until its too late, you’re moving so fast that he can’t give you a face-full. The blast catches you right in the thick parts of your armor, aside from some sore ribs you’ll be fine.

And you’re already in the air, coming down hard on Dunkers chest. The shotty goes sliding off, and his head bounces hard off the asphalt. His helmet saves him from a cracked skull, but he’s still blinking back pain-tears.
(Shotgun is 3-harm, Lombardi’s armor is 2, for 1-harm taken. Don’t worry about messy or a harm roll due to circumstances)


Corvi
The car isn’t too messed up, aside from the broken glass in the driver’s side window. Like something flew out of the car at a high rate of speed. Odd. Anywho, now that no-one is shooting or shouting or other distracting things, its the work of a few minutes to remove the twisted bits of motorbike and rider that got tangled up in the under-bits. Nothing looks too badly damaged, but then again how black is your thumb?

So a new Hunt, different prey. Do you have any leads on Dakota, any knowings of his thinkings?


SKADI
The strange bird-woman seems to taken your offer of not-death and removed herself from the battlefield to work on her vehicle. An odd creature and an odd encounter, perhaps its an omen of some sort? Anyways…

The couch/throne has attachments point that approximate the OLYMPUS standard, so you can mount in on your frames carry-frame. Normally its bulk would slow you a bit, but with your stabilizers on the fritz you won’t be moving that quickly anyways. Heracles’ AI is reporting that the object is designated THRONE OF WANT in its handshake protocol, but none of your standard codes seem to be working to move beyond that point.

You’re only a few miles from the OA given to you by ASGARD, and you know that cover will increase once you clear the Launch/Landing Zone. Do you continue your mission or examine your prize?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


6:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | x x x o >>

The shot impact doesn't stop enough of my momentum, and besides, there's no stopping me now. Dunker's on the ground and I'm on top of him, full mount. He's stunned for a second, and so I grab him by the throat and draw my pistol. Right at his forehead. "Motherfucker, I am Maria Lombardi. And you just killed my prime source of information, but I think you know more anyway." I give him a moment. "Besides, your life's forfeit to Dremmer right now anyway, but I just so happen to be in charge right now. Understand what you've gotten yourself into, Dunker?"

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+1 Go Aggro on Dunker (Surrender) = (5+2)+1 = 8
If he forces my hand, I'm not going to kill him; Disciplined Engagement allows me to inflict S-harm and look for something to bind him with

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


Figuring out what to do with this thing is going to take time. Time I don't have right now. I attach it to my jack for now, and get moving again. Slower. But moving.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Spec. Lombardi
Dunker struggles, but the fight goes out of him when you mention Dremmer. You can still see the hate in his eyes, though he hides it behind a cocksure grin. “Sure, ask your questions oh Saint. Won’t matter much in the long, Ragna Rock is almost upon us. God’s children couldn’t protect us last time, do you really think you can stand against The Mother’s return?”


SKADI
Even limited to a light jog, Heracles’ long legs eat up the last few miles to your destination. As you approach, your suit starts picking up all sorts of radio signals, a mish-mash of music(?) and words. The AI can’t seem to make heads or tales of it, it seems to hold no tactical significance. As you move through the remnants of the blast walls edging the Launch Zone your target comes into sight.

Its a tangle of piping and buildings, and has even more human activity than when you passed by a few nights ago. At least as many as at Woodhold, maybe more. You see one addition to the skyline that wasn’t there before, a massive tower that’s covered in Revenants attaching what look like transmitter modules to it. And if recognizing your gaze, your suit’s radio receiver is swamped with a massively overpowered signal, the screech of mis-aligned diodes slowly resolving into a man’s screaming voice.


Anyone Near Anything Remotely Receptive in the Valley
Your electronics crackle to life and emit horrible feedback, a man’s voice slowly emerging.

”HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY RINNNNNPURT VALLEY! GLORIFIKUS HERE, COMING TO YOU LIVE FROM THE HEART OF THE IRON CHOIR! TOMORROW NIGHT IS THE ROKOFF, AND EVERYONE SHALL HEAR THE NOISE AND THUNDER! A NEW AGE WILL BE BORN, AND YOU WILL ALL WITNESS IT!”

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


6:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | x x x o >>

I stare at him and force him to his feet, trying not to just what at his face. I get him to his feet, start pointing back towards Woodhold, pistol still out. "So you call me the Watcher of the Threshold, huh. What do you call Tamara, Fernando, and the rest of them?" That should get me more without revealing I have no real idea what I'm talking about. But I'm starting to form a picture nonetheless...and then the comm system built into my helmet, that I forgot I even had, starts blaring. Nothing should even be capable of addressing it; I know this the moment its existence is made known again to me. "And on a different note," no pun intended, I realize, "Dunker, who's Glorifikus?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I wince and reach over, turning the volume dial down to a more acceptable level. This is clearly where I need to be. However they've managed it, this must be the source of the signal. I just need to figure out how to shut it down. The direct approach might work, but I need to be sure.

It's possible NJORD is nearby as well. I'll have to keep an eye for her. I hold back for now, in a sheltered spot, as I scan the structure.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 Read a Sitch = (4+3)+1 = 8
• What should I be on the lookout for?

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


SKADI
Luckily the ‘Glorifikus’ signal fades out after his announcement, and the background babble of radio chatter is easier to handle. This Works that’s grown up around the fuel bunker is a hive of activity, four-score Revenant signatures just out in the open. Who knows how many more hidden by the maze of pipes and sturdy buildings. But the most troubling sign comes through the suit’s spectroscope. The refining and fuel pumping operations have spread a pall of hydrocarbons over the area. The concentrations are high enough to wreak havoc with your atmo-filters and, perhaps more importantly, renders the entire facility an explosion hazard.
(Breaking poo poo/heavy weapons use within The Works may cause a fire to break out)


Spec. Lombardi
Dunker gives you a surly shrug. “Ain’t no Dox, can’t recite the whole Verse. The tear-bag below probably could. I knows Tamara is The Speaker From the Storm and Fernando is The Arms-Bringer. Giles is….. something like yours, dun-”. He’s cut off by the transmission, which seems to cause him pain enough to massage his jaw.

Dunker blinks a bit at your question, then clears his head and spits on the ground. “A highup in the Iron Choir. Crazy fuckers that worship loud music, but their fuel’s prime so ya deal.” He gives you a bit of side-eye, almost speculative. “Chatter is that one of the highups has brought in an outsider that can sing to the Storm. Wouldn’t be interested in bringing Tamara back, would you?”

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


6:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | x x x o >>

I'm trying not to reel from this information. Reeling internally will have to do. This is the most anyone's been able to tell me about anything related to who I am and who the people I know...knew?..know? are. Glorifikus is, I realize, about who that would have been. Some parts of this new world I'm in are starting to make sense to me. A limited sort of sense, but sense nonetheless.

And then I realize what I'm being offered. "What's in it for you," I ask, trying not to show how desperately I'd like to get her back. Is she even going to be recognizable? Well, I am, aren't I?

Aren't I?

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?



Spec. Lombardi
Dunker shrugs again. “I’m for pointing your hate-thrower at someone else, Saint. I do something shiny for you, I get cut loose to do my thing. Yin-for-Yang, yeah? There’s nothing you can do that can stop what’s coming, you might as well have a friend with you at the end.”

A shaky voice echoes up the stairwell. “My Lady? Do you still breathe?”


Corvi
The car definitely could do with having someone looking after it, its got a bit of a shimmy to it now. But it can probably wait. Now you have Prey, and the Hunt. Which brings you to Rockslide…

The story is that it was something like the Tallboys in the before, but didn’t survive the End intact. But the Oldies built strong, and even the broken walls and rubble is strong and safe. Years of tunnelers have opened up paths and holes, one of which is occupied by The Rest. A drinking hole full of hunters, current and ex, its the best place to get the downlow and those that don’t want to be found.

Light filters in through the gaps in the rebuilt walls, showing just a few of the regulars scattered about. Several look up at your entrance, and quickly find somewhere else to look. A huge scarred man looks out from a door behind the plankwood bar, and scowls at you.

“Whatcha want Death-bringer? Don’t say my company, Dust only falls for that once.”

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


6:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | x x x o >>

I think about this offer for a second. "I only came out in the first place at Dremmer's request, so, I'll give you this. Your rebellion or schism or whatever the hell this - " I gesture towards the bunker - "represented, is over, dead, and in the ground. If anyone asks, you've paid the price." Dead bodies and serious wounds will speak to that. And so, it seems, will Mar-Mar. "I'm fine, little Maria. Come on up." That's not true, not entirely. I'm a little banged up, but nobody here really needs to know that. Dunker probably's quick enough to figure it out, though. What I'm not about to do is pass out and die unexpectedly. I have the feeling that's as good as I'm gonna get around here.

"So tell me where to find Specialist Jackson, and I'll be on my way. Little Maria can join me, at least for a while, if she likes," and I'll make her the offer once she emerges from the bunker. I'm not calling her Mar-Mar.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


The place is a bomb. Of course, that will make it easier to remove in the end, but it poses a significant hazard in the meantime. If NJORD is here, a hard entry would be ill advised. So I will try something different.

I back off a bit, making my way to a ruined structure nearby, one difficult to see into until you're right on top of it, and even better not easily reached with a vehicle. A vehicle that isn't a jack, in any case. A hardened hanger, perhaps, or old munitions bunke. Long empty, until I place the THRONE OF WANT inside and pull the door partially closed. It should keep for now.

I make my way back towards the Works, approaching the main gate openly. "Hail the gate" I call as I come near.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Spec. Lombardi
Dunker nods sharply. “‘Green. I’ve done my part anyways, the rest is out of my hands.” He crouches down and picks up a bit of rock, and begins to draw on the broken pavement. “See here, a few miles south and a bit west of Woodhold is the Works. Fuel store and stronghold of the Choir. Deets are a bit thin, but here’s what I have: now Mother Rust brought in the Storm-singer, but the tell is she’s a bit of a game-chip as all the highups jockey for position before the Rokoff. Your boy Glorifikus is a power, as is Garwiz the Ruinator. That’s the castle your princess is in Saint, beset on many sides. Save her and she’s sure to show your Tamara the way back. ”

MarMa- Little Maria appears in the doorway with a grunt, seemingly carrying most of the bunker in overstuffed packs. She blinks a bit at the light, and then pales at the corpses. At your offer she straightens up and tries to look professional. “Aye Saint! I would follow you to the next beginning and beyond, it would give my emptiness purpose!


SKADI
Several other vehicles approach the gate at the same time, but they give way to you and several heads poke out of windows to gawk. At your cry, a greasy face pokes above a scrap-metal parapet and peers down at the road. Seeing Heracles’ feet, their eyes travel upwards and their jaw down. “Ahhh, hail yurself! What’s your purp metal man? We’re only open for biz and worship, the Leads are in seclusion until the Rokoff.”

You see the gunners on either side of the gate stand a little straighter. Not combat-ready, but more watchful than they were before. Wary, but not outright hostile like the inhabitants of Woodhold. You have a feeling your answer is important though…

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


What Came Before…
The Rinpurt Valley was a quiet backwater for years, a few scattered holdings getting by among the vast and varied wreckage of the World Before. While it was rarely visited by Greater Destroyers, it was preyed upon by the slavers of the mountain fortress of Folly and the traders of the black markets of Stockards.

But change has come to the Valley. The Dark Lords of Folly are dead, and its halls thick with scavengers and thieves. The Barons of Stockards joust with each other, testing to see if any are strong enough to dethrone Dragon. Swamp Ash Radio has fallen silent, victim of open warfare. Woodhold whispers of breakers, seeking to shatter the mechanisms of Lord Dremmer. The Soloists of the Iron Choir prepare for the Rokoff, their supporters scouring the Valley for anything that could aid them. And most worrying of all, the Siren’s Gate has opened for the first time in the After. It has vomited forth two figures onto the Valley, both powerful and aweful.

The Saint Maria/Queen of the Specters/L’nai’s Fool has allied herself with Dremmer of Woodhold, and kept the Children of the New Stone Age from destroying it. She speaks in riddles and talks to specters, and has claimed the cursed Tallboys for her own.

The Titan’s Child/’SKADI’ is a monsterous enigma, a mysterious giant clad in metal. A knight from a far-away realm, she has saved Woodhold from the Spawn of of Shahmaran and thwarted the Endsong-calling Axecutioner. She has also discovered evidence of her peoples’ advanced technology in the valley, and is on the trail of a missing brother-knight.


(A summation of what has happened so far, and a jumping-off point for when we start up again)

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Spec. Lombardi
Dremmer’s happiness is a tangible thing, and he offers up a pile of the flattened metal beads the residents of Woodhold refer to as ‘jingle’. He is unconcerned that not all of the breakers are dead, simply scattering them off his land is good enough. He does send a group of Huntsmen out to seal up the door though. A cautious man.

As you leave Dremmer’s manor house, MarMar is oddly silent. The walk back had been filled with as much nervous chatter as her two enormous backpacks would allow. Of her people: scrappers of the Lost Fleet to the west. Of her capture by slavers: after following the wrong sort of merchant out of Waterway. Of her faith: the DOx, followers of the Saints and the Bright Man that battled the Mother of Destruction at the End.

But now she’s silent, and you see her eyes dart back and forth. And then you notice the whispers and glances around you, barely hidden anger. Its the young bucks of Dremmer’s Huntsmen, their facepaint garish. Perhaps Tommiboy’s friends are as stupid as he is? It is a long walk back to Stasis, and a lonely one.

(3-barter gained from working a gig)


SKADI
The outer courtyard of this ‘Works’ place is a chaotic mess. You can see how this area was not part of the original facility, created by the scrap-walls. One corner is filled with smaller vehicles of types and conditions that defy description or cataloging, all jockeying around fuel dispensers. The majority of the courtyard is dedicated to enormous bowsers and large tanker transports and the scrambling crews transfering fuel from one to the other. There’s an inner wall separating the courtyard from the fuel bunker proper, decorated with garish colors and symbols. Its broken by two vehicle-sized gates and a more human-sized one, and the spaces between are covered with stalls selling food, drink, and an assortment of oddments.

While your walking suit has drawn some attention, its more of a ‘big weird vehicle to dodge’ sort. A man wearing a bright but grubby yellow vest and nothing else waves two painted sticks at you, gesturing towards the smaller vehicle depot. This close to that monstrous antenna, you’re starting to get some static in your comm system. Its odd, almost like BIFROST’s carrier signal is being duplicated.


Yx
Its amazing the number of friends you’ve made in the weeks since Folly’s fall, all interested in your particular skill set. You and Parrack sit now in the highest level of The Works, insulated from the noise and the smell in Mother Rust’s boudoir. The older woman studies the pair of you, but soon gives up in the face of Parrack’s secretive smile and your veil.

“A bit of biz for you, secret-like.” Her voice is low and throaty, gravelled by decades as the head of the Iron Choir. “The Rokoff draws near, the holy of holies. And I shall welcome all comers, as is our way. But there is one, the Solo known as Glorifikus. He perverts the Rokoff, makes deals with strangers in the shadows to deny me my Instruments. I want him to never feel the touch of the Metal ever again, cut off from the Maiden of Steel for the rest of his life. If you do this for me you will never want for fuel again, and all of the Choir shall sing your praises. What say you?”


Scarlet
It was supposed to be a simple job. You didn’t even have to go into the Beyond, just provide transport and security for a small parcel from Stockards to Waterway. A bit boring really, but the money was good. Was good. The box is sitting on the table between you and Corgi in his driftwood shack on the edge of Waterway’s market, and he’s looking at it like its about to take his fool head off.

“Look, I know you put in the travel time and such. But what I’m saying is that I ain’t taking this and there’s no money for you.” His two hardbois, their fists wrapped in tough leather to avoid Waterway’s weapons rules, shift a bit and look less bored. You figure you’ve got about a minute before they persuade you to leave.

What’s in the box anyways?


Vaya
Its been a nice quiet morning, a rarity. The market’s bustling, the swamp-folk and scrappers stocking up in the face of the rumors flying around the valley. And it looks like the tenchfoot that was giving your folks such issues has retreated for now. You’re enjoying a bit of quality time with a nice bit of gatortail when Nitro and Broadside, two of your perimeter-walkers, bust into your shack supporting a third bloody man. Its Mossy, a pathfinder who’s known to you.

He’s been through the wringer, several bullet wounds poorly bandaged. Nitro looks at you, eyes wild. “He just ran outta the swamp into me an’ Broad. Started yelling about the radio being dead and the death stomper chasing him!”

These two would have been walking the south side, closest to Swamp Ash. You’d heard the talk on the radio of an attack, but you also knew that a sizable number of scrappers and such had volunteered to help. Nothing in the Murk could marshal enough force to crack that many bois, could it?


What do you do?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.


Scarlet
Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 0/5 | Barter: 4-1

Paying 1 barter for lifestyle

I stare into Corgi's eyes as he talks. I have no idea why he changed his mind and I don't care. I'm not leaving without getting my money. While I'm trying to make it look like I'm not even concerned about the hardbois, I keep an ear out in case I hear them trying anything.

"The time for revoking the job and payment was before I went and did it Corgi," I say calmly. "Why should you make me do work and then get to back out of our deal?"

I have no idea what the thing in the box is. It's some kind of metal square with a faded display and all kinds of buttons and dials. There's labels, but not in any language I've seen before. But that's not what I'm interested in now.

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+1 Read A Sitch = (4+5)+1 = 10
Which enemy is most vulnerable to me?
Which enemy is the biggest threat?
What should I be on the lookout for?


quote:


Scarlet, the Battlebabe

Look: Woman, casual wear, sharp face, calculating eyes, slim body

Stats

Cool+3 Hard-2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird+1

Moves

Ice cold: when you go aggro on an NPC, roll+cool instead of roll+hard. When you go aggro on another player’s character, roll+Hx instead of roll+hard.

Visions of death: when you go into battle, roll+weird. On a 10+, name one person who’ll die and one who’ll live. On a 7–9, name one person who’ll die OR one person who’ll live. Don’t name a player’s character; name NPCs only. The MC will make your vision come true, if it’s even remotely possible. On a miss, you foresee your own death, and accordingly take -1 throughout the battle.

Gear:

Rifle (ap ammo, scoped), (3-harm ap far reload loud)

Handgun (semiautomatic, silenced), (2-harm close)

Fashion worth 1-armor

Oddments worth 4 barter

BATTLEBABE SPECIAL
If you and another character have sex, nullify the other character’s sex move. Whatever it is, it just doesn’t happen.

Advances

Get an Ally (Absinthe, Ally: Confidante)


Heliotrope fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2018 around 02:39

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x o >>

Ribs hurt, face hurts. Dremmer's blood man had some styptics for the cheek. Said his name was Quinnjack. Handy enough with a blood pen and a roll of tape. Honestly, I was surprised to see that they even had rolls of athletic tape, but I guess you never know what survives the end of the world. Quinnjack apologized, saying he's not a real medic, just a blood expert. Specialties are weird now, I guess. I'll be fine. Guy did a good enough job, and I'm not hauling my rear end all the way back to stasis for that sort of injury. Anyway, that was a couple hours ago.

Now it's real. Quick as a wink, rifle's unslung and in hands, high ready. Yes, it's an aggressive move. Probably safer that way. "If you're trying to surprise me, you blew it," I call into the trees as I try to count the people. "Huntsmen? What do you want." It's a question, but only barely. Ears and eyes peeled. I'll have to compliment Little Maria on her alertness, when I get the chance.

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+0 read a sitch = (4+4)+0 = 8
• What should I be on the lookout for? • What’s my enemy’s true position?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Vaya the Hardholder
Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 0/5 | 2 barter (3 from Wealth, -1 for lifestyle)

I have my eyes closed as I listen to the people coming and going from the market. I hear them shout and debate and haggle and discuss and call each other crooks and fuckers and even worse. There's surprisingly little animosity in it, considering the kind of insults that get thrown around. It's just what you do in the market; it's part of the game.

Of course it can't last. I can hear the uneven steps of people approaching, and I get that gut-feel that there's going to be trouble. I discard the gator tail (it was still warm, drat it) and cross my arms as they barrel in my shack. "Nitro, Broad. What is it?"

My bois are trained to handle everyday threats, but this doesn't sound everyday. Luckily I already have my padded vest on. I grab my shotgun and ensure it's loaded as I bark orders. "Broadside, hand this guy to Tape, tell him to fix him up, then pull about half the guards from the northern border and bring 'em south. Nitro, make way." One quick pat at the hilt of my machete to make sure it's in its place and I'm ready. "Show me where you found him."

As we race out of my shack, my mind races too, wondering what we could be up against. If that Crompton guy managed to take down the radio, he must have a lot more firepower than I thought. And thw radio tower's way too close for comfort. poo poo. Let's hope this death stomper isn't with him. I don't want a war on my hands.

quote:

Woman, casual wear, scarred face, sharp eyes, wiry body

*Cool-1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird=0

*Leadership: when you have to order your gang to advance, regroup, hold position, hold discipline, or put their drat backs into it, roll+hard. On a hit, they do it. On a 10+, they snap to; take +1forward. On a miss, they do it, but you’ll hear about it later.

*Wealth: If your hold is secure and your rule unchallenged, at the beginning of the session, roll+hard. On a 10+, you have surplus at hand and available for the needs of the session. On a 7–9, you have surplus, but choose 1 want. On a miss, or if your hold is compromised or your rule contested, your hold is in want. e precise values of your surplus and want depend on your holding, as follows.

*Holding: Waterway is a trading community situated north of the Twins, the two connected rivers near the Murk. They trade with Woodhold, the Works and the Last Fleet, and their market is always bustling with people, at all hours of day and night. Vaya enforces a strict "sheathed weapons" policy on market grounds, to ensure that no one is at risk of getting shot or stabbed in the middle of it. As thickly populated as this place is, it's the least to ensure safety.

Features:
Large population: around 200 permanent residents, with anywhere between 20 and 60 travellers at any given time. +1 barter, want:disease
Bustling market: Waterway's market is its main source of wealth. Woodhold trades wood and game, the swamp-folk trade herbs and more game, the Last Fleet gangs trade scavenged weapons and scrap, and enterprising people from the Works come to trade fuel at a mark up.
Disciplined enforcers: Vaya only allows people she can trust to join her gang. Psychotic fuckclowns need not apply, and they can expect to be watched for the duration of their stay in Waterway. Her gang loses unruly.
Lots of enforcers: Good pay and the privilege of keeping their weapons ready everywhere in the hardhold means she gets plenty of volunteers, though. She needs them to protect such a large population. Her gang is large instead of medium.

Mostly tents and wooden walls: It's hard to build anything on the swampy terrain around the Murk. Vaya's gang doesn't get any bonus defending the compound.
A truly horrendous garage: Similarly, it's hard to properly store vehicles, not to mention that not everything can navigate the swamp. Waterway only has about 4 vehicles, and only two of them are any good in a battle.

Waterway:
Gigs: Hunting, scavenging and sustenance farming; market. +3 barter. Want: hungry, disease, strangers.
Vaya's enforcers: 2-harm gang large 1-armor.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at May 23, 2018 around 15:40

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


The signal coming off the antenna makes me uneasy - nothing down here should be putting off BIFROST frequencies. I instruct the AI to isolate it, so I can compare it to the true signal - is it merely echoing, or is it propagating a message of its own?

While it works I follow the marshal's directions, but take my time approaching the depot so I can take in my surroundings. I have good evidence that someone from OLYMPOS was here now, between the strange signal and the reaction of the people to my suit. I keep an eye out for direct evidence of NJORD - our tech or equipment should stand out. I doubt I should be so lucky as to spy them or their jack.

Mostly, though, I'm looking for an authority, someone who should know the comings and goings of this place, so that I can ask after my comrade directly.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Spec. Lombardi
There’s a bit of mean-spirited laughter that’s meant to sound intimidating, and almost a dozen of the younger Huntsmen melt out of the trees and old outbuildings. Of course Tommiboy is there, surrounded by a wall of muscle. They’re all armed with clubs and wrapped fists, some at least have the sense to look a bit nervous at your rifle. Tommiboy of course is unconcerned.

“What, tired of L’nai’s bed already Fool? Gone and got yourself a Fool’s Fool? Its time you learned to respect your betters. Put up that popper and I promise my bois and I won’t break nothing.”

-there are alot of Tommyboy’s bois (medium gang)
-they are all around you.



SKADI
As you head towards the indicated berth, you don’t notice anything that screams OLYMPOS, and Heracles doesn’t toss up any more IFFs. As you cast you gaze around the courtyard, you do notice a woman making the rounds that the other refuelers and metalwrights seem to defer and report to. She heads over your way, a puzzled expression on her face. “I didn’t see you leave Sir Knight” she yells about the din. “I’m sorry but none of the Choir are about to let you through into the Sanctum.”

A new window opens on your HUD, the results of the AI’s investigation into the errant signal. It is in fact interference, another tight-beam signal transmitting with the same protocols as BIFROST. It seems that while CHARON is not talking to OLYMPOS, its still talking to someone.


Scarlet
Corgi’s round face fushes even further, and he nervously mops at his sweaty brow. “I knooow. But poo poo’s hit the fan and its not worth my life to be seen with that… thing.” Corgi’s never been a cool customer, but he generally keeps it better than this. His hardbois push off from the wall they were leaning against and come around to either side of the table. Nice and calm-like, but with an understood for now.

-Corgi is most vulnerable (he’s within arm’s reach)
-the hardbois are the biggest threat
-you’re pretty sure Corgi keeps a holdout weapon under the table



Vaya
Nitro and Broadside look relieved that things aren’t their call anymore and snap to action. As Nitro leads you back towards the southern perimeter Bug, Dig/Dug, Sali, and Posei catch up to you and let you know the rest are on their way. You hit the southern edge of your territory at a near-run, Nitro pointing the way. You come up over a hillock rising above the muck and see a large shape moving through the trees beyond with much whining and clunking.


It rotates back and forth, almost like its looking for something. The fellow on the shoulder mount pounds on the armor and then points in your general direction. Actually, not at you, at the quickest path a 5-meter metal monster could take to Waterway.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 1/5 | 2 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)

I'm low on the ground as we climb the hill, and I hiss a litany of swear words as I see the... thing. It's not the worst thing that could have been coming for us, but it misses the mark by an hair. Those legs are just about the perfect thing to navigate the Murk. I look down on my shotgun, which I can tell it's going to do precisely gently caress all. I consider asking my gang jokingly if any of them have a grenade I can borrow, but honestly, they seem shaken enough already.

I look at Waterway in the distance, all colorful tents and a pathetic wooden fence as its defense, which doesn't even reliably keep the marsh foxes out. I look at that its weapons, clearly cobbled together but still plenty nasty. gently caress's sake, it's got a flamethrower.

"Bois, stay here and hold your fire. If what I try doesn't work, keep this thing busy until the rest of the troops arrive. Don't follow me."

Without giving any of them the time to protest, I make my way down the hill, fast but controlled. If I stumble or make a noise, that thing's gonna turn around and the little fucker in the turret's gonna tear me to shreds. Not to mention that I'll look like an idiot in front of the others.
Luckily the gunner is focused on Waterway, and doesn't notice me darting from one patch of relatively solid ground to another. Now that I'm close enough that that gun shouldn't be a problem, but the danger's far from over.

Whoever thought of wrapping barbed wire around the legs was one clever son of a bitch. I let my shotgun hang from its sling before taking a running start and jumping as high as I can onto the leg. My hands hold onto the leg joint of the stomper while my legs get tangled into the mess of wires. It rips my pants a bit and I can feel them nick my skin, but it's nothing serious. I just take my time disentangling myself and climbing up this thing. Luckily, it's full of handles and places to grip, so it's not that bad to get on top of this thing.

And there is Goggles, out of his post on the gun and with a knife in hand, ready to welcome me. I clamber on top and grip my shotgun. "Hey there, new guy. Let's you and me have a talk."

quote:

Rolled an 8 on reading a sitch, so I get 1 XP.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at May 24, 2018 around 00:10

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 0+1/5 | Barter: 3

I continue to stare at Corgi for just a moment longer. Then I upend the table and make a grab for the weapon.

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+4 Act Under Fire = (4+4)+4 = 12
Includes +1 from Read A Sitch
Marking XP for rolling Cool


I take the revolver and open it, dropping the bullets onto the ground. "Not my problem," I say as I toss the gun aside.

megane
Jun 20, 2008




Cool=0 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird+2 | 0:00 Harm | 0-Armor | XP ○○○○○» | 6-Barter

I tilt my head and pretend to scrutinize Mother Rust's face and think hard about her offer. Parrack told me I should do that, to make it seem as though I might not take the job. I don't know why we want that, but she understands the flow of trust and barter far better than I do.

No, what I'm really thinking about is Glorifikus. I have heard his name, both in people's voices and in people's heads. Does he really hear the song, like me? Probably not. Maybe he is just an antenna, dancing to a rhythm he doesn't understand. Or maybe he is simply a deaf man, play-acting? But mm, I would like to know for sure. That's why I don't need to think about the offer; I want the chance to take a closer look at what's inside that skull.

But I shouldn't let Mother Rust know that.

"Yes. The song must be preserved. I will find Glorifikus. And the two of us will have a very interesting discussion, I think. Very interesting." I smile beneath my veil and lean close. "People sometimes feel quite different after meeting me, you'll find."

Spending 2-barter for lifestyle. I've been enjoying the new sensation of freedom. Specifically, of being free and having money.

quote:


Yx the Brainer

Look: Concealed, high formal wear, sweet face, ruined eyes, soft body

Stats: Cool=0 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird+2

Moves:

Deep brain scan: when you have time and physical intimacy with someone -- mutual intimacy like holding them in your arms, or 1-sided intimacy like they’re restrained to a table -- you can read them more deeply than normal. Roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7 - 9, hold 1. While you’re reading them, spend your hold to ask their player questions, 1 for 1:
  • What was your character’s lowest moment?
  • For what does your character crave forgiveness, and of whom?
  • What are your character’s secret pains?
  • In what ways are your character’s mind and soul vulnerable?
On a miss, you inflict 1-harm (ap) upon your subject, to no benefit.

Direct-brain whisper projection: you can roll+weird to get the effects of going aggro, without going aggro. Your victim has to be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact. If your victim forces your hand, your mind counts as a weapon (1-harm ap close loud-optional).

Gear:
Hidden knives (2-harm hand infinite)
Violation glove (hand hi-tech)
Receptivity drugs (tag hi-tech)
Oddments worth 8-barter
Fashion (black)

Hx:
Everyone introduces their characters by name, look and outlook. Take your turn.
List the other characters’ names.
Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask 1, 2, or all 3:
  • Which one of you has slept in my presence (knowingly or un-)?
    For that character, write Hx+2.
  • Which one of you have I been watching carefully, in secret?
    For that character, write Hx+2.
  • Which one of you most evidently dislikes and distrusts me?
    For that character, write Hx+3.
For everyone else, write Hx+1. You have weird insights into everyone.

Brainer Special:
If you and another character have sex, you automatically do a deep brain scan on them, whether you have the move or not. Roll+weird as normal. However, the MC chooses which questions the other character’s player answers.

megane fucked around with this message at May 27, 2018 around 02:45

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x x >>

I let out a quick, exasperated breath, and bring the rifle all the way up to an aimed position, but I'm already letting a burst fly as Tommiboy. Bad discipline on my part. Can't get sloppy. I can hear the boys moving all around, but I remain focused on Tommiboy. Morale in this group is low, a decapitation strike should do wonders. But I was lazy, dammit!

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+3 AUF - Tommiboy don't scare me none = (3+2)+3 = 8
(3-harm close/far loud autofire)

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?



Spec. Lombardi
The burst is already leaving the rifle’s barrel as you swing it up towards Tommiboy. But while he’s an idiot, he’s not stupid, and he’s already ducking. The two Huntsmen next to him cry out in pain, though you swear you at least winged the Chief Idiot. He jackrabbits, and the rest of the Huntsmen decide that they signed up for some heavy hazing, not gunplay. They fade back into the trees, leaving the wounded to their fate.

You hit them low, and despite their pitiful cries for mercy you don’t think that they’ll bleed out. MarMar takes a step forwards, a fire in her eyes. “And thus shall all that waylay the Watcher of the Threshold!” She turns to you, a grim set to her face. “Will you end them my Saint, or show them Your mercy?”


Scarlet
Corgi’s hardboiz start towards you when you begin to move, but you’re done and holding an empty revolver before they can close the distance. They stop short, itching for a fight but looking to their boss for the go-ahead. Corgi looks even more panicked, the fear of not having his gun and what Vaya would do to him if she found out about this adding to whatever got him in this pickle. He holds up his hands, and then slowly reaches into his vest-shirt. A bundle of Works fuel-cards hit the ground in front of you.

“Here, take this and your shipment and just go, please. I don’t want to have them hurt you, but I also don’t want to get gakked.” Its less than what you were promised, but you could still shop around your delivery. If you want to avoid trouble here, that is.


Vaya
Your heart’s beating alot harder than it used to, but you’ve made it up to the top of the stomper. This close, you see that Goggles is Pinto, one of Crompton’s cucklefucks. He’s blinking at you through those goggles, the lens marked up with range markers. ‘Course he’s also got his hog-sticker out, its tip practically touching the end of your shotgun’s barrel. He grins a toothless smile and yells over the noise of the stomper’s engine.

“Heyya Vaya, Crompton sends his best. We’ve come to letcha know you’re part of Greater Cromptonia, and to collect tribute. Gonna ride in with us quiet-like, or are we gonna show your head when we get there?” He seems to think his knife is the equal to your gun, is he that good or just stoned-up?


Yx
Its fairly easy to find Glorifikus’ chambers, most of the Solos live in the upper reaches of the Works, away from the noise. His roadie stands at the door, barring entry. He brandishes his clipboard, and inquires if you’re on The List in a self-important tone.
Beyond him, you can hear the muffled but still booming voice of Glorifikus. He’s speaking with someone, the silent echoes carry tastes of pleasure although his words can’’t be made out. Oddly, he has a guest that is also speaking, but you only hear the muffled words in your ears, not the silent echoes in your depths.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1+1/5 | Barter: 3

"It's not them you have to worry about," I say, before making a dash to get behind him. I slip past the hardbois and get Corgi in a chokehold. I don't apply pressure just yet. "Now have those two leave."

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+4 Go Aggro on Corgi = (1+4)+4 = 9
Includes +1 from Read A Sitch
Marking XP for rolling Cool

If Corgi sucks it up he takes 1 Harm

megane
Jun 20, 2008




Cool=0 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird+2 | 0:00 Harm | 0-Armor | XP +----> | 6-Barter

"On the list? Not yet," I murmur, moving closer. I would desperately like to hear what's being said behind that door, but desperation doesn't show itself upon my face, not any longer. I keep my focus on the roadie. "You're a Roland, aren't you? What an honor to meet you! I'm such a huge fan of Glorifikus, and... and you're..." Now, drop my head, pretend to be nervous. One more benefit of the veil; I've never been able to fake a blush. "I, ah, I was hoping I could meet Glorifikus... later. For some, um, unofficial business. Y-you know." It's an odd feeling, to be acting this way. Distant. Like I'm watching myself perform. Should I feel disgusted with myself? Maybe.

I don't.

I lean in even closer, almost whispering in the roadie's ear. "You'd... be more than welcome to join us."

@Yx (megane): 2d6+1 manipulate Roland Saver = (5+1)+1 = 7
XP for rolling Hot.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 2/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)

Greater Cromptonia? Really?
I steady myself as Iisten to Pinto ramble. Getting his hands on Swamp Radio must have gone to Crompton's head. I'm going to have to do something about that. An rear end in a top hat that sends armored vehicles without being provoked can't be allowed to set up shot this close to Waterway.

But for now I gotta deal with this Pinto asshat. I level my shotgun with his chest and cock it. "Uh-uh. Here's my counteroffer: you get whoever's piloting this thing to come out, or I blow a hole in your chest."

quote:

Got a 10+ on my Going Aggro roll. He either goes along with it or eats lead. This nets me 1 XP.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


For a moment I can't respond. For this woman to say that, NJORD must have made an alliance with the leaders of this place. And for command to have sent me, with the orders I have, means they do not know. NJORD has abandoned the mission, the cause.

I stop and take a breath. Maybe there is some other answer here, besides the unthinkable. An emergency or an opportunity that required immediate and drastic action. Whatever is going on, I must get to the bottom of it.

I key the external speakers. "You have mistaken me for my Brother-Knight, who sent word to join them here. I am SKADI; do you know when they might return, or where I might meet them?" Hopefully I can reach NJORD before word of my coming. That is the likeliest way to learn the truth of the matter.

Act Under Fire @SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 = (3+1)+1 = 5

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at May 27, 2018 around 22:31

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Scarlet
Corgi’s hardboiz lurch towards you, surprised by your sudden movement. Corgi frantically waves them off, already gurgling with the slight pressure you’re giving him. They hesitate, then shrug at his gurgled curses and leave the shack. You don’t think they’ve gone too far, but they’re out of sight and earshot.

“See Scarlet,” he wheezes. “I’m still your dude, there’s no… need to end a… profitable relation… ship.”
(Corgi does what you want)


Vaya
Now, if Pinto had actually read the training documents that shipped with the original chassis the doom stomper was grafted onto, he might have seen a section that spoke of the training and self- control required to overcome the sense of euphoria and invulnerability that most new pilots felt. Of course, even if Pinto found that ancient Operations Manual, the man couldn’t read.

So is it really his fault that he thinks he can gut you before you pull the trigger? Unfortunately for Pinto, while he might have been quicker than you his poker face is… was, lovely. You squeeze before he can twitch and the blast sends him backwards, his corpse dangling from the gunners seat by a caught leg. The stopper pauses, and begins to turn erratically. The flamethrower arm transverses as far as it can, but the gout of flame barely warms your face.
(Pinto sucks it up, 3-harm messy vs his 1-armor means he ded)


Yx
The roadie, SAVER hand-stitched on the breast of his jumpsuit, pales a bit under his stage makeup before licking his lips. “Uh, yes. I believe that His Melodiness might have an opening for later. But as His trusted assistant, I should… check your business first. To ensure its up to His standards." He tilts his head towards a nearby door with the faded runes ‘ванная’ painted on its surface.
(The Roland Saver will totally let you into Glorifikus’ room later, if you let him sample the merchandise first.)


SKADI
The woman looks at you (the chest compartment, not Heracles’ head) as she listens to your tale, and then simply taps a bit of tech on her chest three times. The suit’s AI chirps a warning as a weapons emplacement on the inner wall rotates slightly to face you.

“They really need to teach Knights to lie better.” She points out the weapon emplacement. “You are now being watched Knight SKADI. You may sup, repair, refuel, whatevs here in the outer courtyard like the rest of the rabble. But if you close upon the Inner Sanctum, the boomer on the wall will put a dew shell through you. Good day, welcome to The Works, please direct all complaints to my arsehole.” She turns away, ‘DE MACHINA’ labeling the back of her jacket in reflective tape.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 2/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)

Pinto goes down with a strangled croak. I hear the thud of his body against the metal.
I don't have much time to worry about that because I need to hold onto for dear life as the stomper swivels about and tries to cook me. But the flamethrower is designed to shoot away from the mech, reasonably enough, and it can't quite bend enough to hit me. Good.

Leaning against the metal frame I shimmy around the machine, trying to find an entrance, a cockpit of some kind. My hands come into contact with some pull-bars. Must be where the pilot went in.

No visible hinges. gently caress. How the hell do you open this thing?

Well, there's gotta be a way to open it from the outside, or no one would have gotten into this deathtrap. I bang against the metal.

"Hey, you, in there! Listen up, fuckhead! My people are preparing our battle jeeps as we speak, and they're gonna crash 'em against this heap of junk of yours. If you manage to walk off from the crash, I have twelve people posted over that hill ready to fill your rear end with lead. You want a chance to walk away from this, you stop this thing and come out with your hands up!"

quote:

Rolled a 7 on my manipulate roll. Whoever's in there will want some concrete assurance, corroboration, or evidence 􀃫rst

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at May 29, 2018 around 23:23

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x x >>

The phrase `hype girl` goes through my head. This whole thing would be sort of amusing if it wasn't very real and very lethal. "No need to kill them, Little Maria. They're no threat now," and I quickly snap a shot off near the hand of the one on the left, who was still reaching for his club. "and they shouldn't be, later. Am I right, Roshi," addressing the one on the right. "That's what I thought." I gesture to Little Maria, and we keep going.

"So tell me," I say as we hike along, "I've got a few things I'd like to know. Who's Jackson, to you? And who taught you to shoot?"

megane
Jun 20, 2008




Cool=0 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird+2 | 0:00 Harm | 0-Armor | XP +----> | 6-Barter

"Oh, I was hoping you'd say that."

quote:

Brainer Special:
If you and another character have sex, you automatically do a deep brain scan on them, whether you have the move or not. Roll+weird as normal. However, the MC chooses which questions the other character’s player answers.
Rolled a 10.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Barter: 3

"Right. So, what else are you going to give for payment? The fuel cards are a good start, but not worth the full amount." I ease the pressure, but still keep him in the hold. "And don't say whatever it is I brought here. It's clearly trouble, and I have no desire to make Vaya angry at me."

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+1 Read Corgi = (2+5)+1 = 8
How can I get Corgi to give me full payment?

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Scarlet
Corgi lets out a sob an slumps against you. “I… I got a hidey-hole a bit south of Waterway. Been filling it up the last few days, was gonna make a break for it. Mostly food and water, but I’ve got a mint bit of Saint’s Regalia stashed there for bribes. One of their blue buckets, its still got the dark-brighters attached. Get me there safe and its yours.

(Escort Corgi to his stash and he’ll pay up)


Vaya
The stomper pauses its attempts to flame you, and you hear the crackle of a loudener. “YEAH RIGHT VAYA, YOU’VE NEVER HAD poo poo! HAVE A SEAT, ENJOY ME SMASHING YOUR HOUSE!” The voice is familiar, but distorted by the lovely loudener.

The stomper sets off again, but you notice that its not taking as direct a route to Waterway. Its sticking to the bogs and other terrain that would make it difficult for a vehicle to get to them. You think the driver (pilot?) might be a bit more concerned than they’re letting on about kamikaze attacks.

(The stomper will need to see some vehicles before it capitulates. It will take longer for it to get to Waterway now though.)


Yx
The Roland Saver is, at his heart, a simple creature. An outer layer of control and competence surrounding a core of neuroses. The crying boy still begging forgiveness for ending his father’s Gorge-pain. The fear that his fellow Choir-mates will discover his deafness. His desperate need for approval that has made him so easily manipulated by Glorifikus, and you.

You let yourself out of the waste chamber, Saver semi-conscious and mumbling happy to himself. You can hear Glorifikus clearly now, he must have the door open. “Go forth and Rok Brother Dionysus! The Iron Choir will salute your assistance in the coming days.”

The door closes, and nothingness walks across your field of view to the outer door. The wrecks hidden behind your veil tell you of a spare man, tall and pale wearing strange clothes and a crown of light upon his brow. But your more important senses register nothing about him, like he’s simply a paused note in the great Song.



Spec. Lombardi
MarMar shrugs at your mercy and settles her packs before joining you again. “One of the crew-girls, called Fair Dinkum. There’s good eating on a swampdog, she showed me how to use her short-gun.” She mimes shooting a pistol. “ These long-guns are a bit poo poo, too long to use inside. That’s where the nasty fighting happens on the Lost Fleet.”

She pauses for a few moments before continuing, looking at her talisman. “Saint Tamara’s was the ul-tee-mate sacrifice. The Mother of Destruction cannot die, its not Her nature. The Bright Man watches over us, but even He can’t see into the Mother’s Realm from his post. Saint Tamara saw that the Saints’ and the Bright Man’s victory wouldn’t be eternal, and threw herself into the Maelstrom to be our warning for the End’s End. My mam said that the Siren’s Gate would be her howl, that she would awaken the rest of the Saints.”

MarMar pauses and looks at you, once again the frightened tweenage girl trying to be brave. “Is it true Saint Maria? Are you back to save us from Destruction?”

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2+1/5 | Barter: 3

I think about his offer for a moment. Shouldn't be too difficult, right? Still, my eyes fall on the device I brought here. I am curious about what's going on with it and Corgi to be honest - might be good to know what's going to happen in the future. I feel the Maelstrom come in, and all the color fades out of the world. Black and white, except for the device. What color will it be, and what might I find out?

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+1 Open Your Brain = (3+1)+1 = 5
Marking XP for rolling Weird

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


"I will have answers, whether you welcome me or no," I tell the woman, and turn back towards the yard. If she knows of NJORD, then others will as well. I will find them - or they will find me. I move back out into the traffic, looking for anyone who seems particularly interested in my jack.

megane
Jun 20, 2008




Cool=0 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird+2 | 0:00 Harm | 0-Armor | XP +----> | 6-Barter

I straighten my veil as I leave. Roland Saver is a person, and like all people he is an inelegant patchwork, stitched together from lies and fear and confusion. No wonder he cannot hear; the noise of his own mind must be deafening.

But the... thing... leaving Glorifikus' office is different. Even plants sing their simple little melodies as they grow. This thing walking down the steps in front of me is a painting of a man.

My meeting with Glorifikus will have to wait. I cannot help but follow it; I must know what it is! Glancing back at Glorifikus' door, I slip from shadow to shadow in the man-shape's wake, squinting uncomfortably to keep it in focus.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 2/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)

Well, I bought some time. It'll have to do.

I let go of the walker and land heavily onto the soggy ground. Before long I am sprinting towards Waterway, while the machine huddles away. I jump the fence and grab the first person I see by the shoulder.

"Hey! Get Ray and tell him Vaya needs Crosses ready by the south gate. Now!" He stands around, stunned, before I shake him again. "What's your damage? I said now! Move it!"
He finally recovers and runs towards the corner of the market our local mechhead sets up shop. I cock my shotgun and run to the south gate, rallying as many armed boys I can on the way.

----------------
Soon afterwards, we're on the south gate. Ray's at the wheel of Crosses, and I'm standing next to him, head poking in the in the car window, telling him my plan.


(No idea why he added all those crosses that give the car its name. It has something to do with that Dox thing he talks about once in a while.)

"Don't charge as soon as you see him. Let the motor roar a bit, make it clear that we mean business. I'll signal you when it's time to put the pedal on the metal. Be ready."

I can hear the stomping, approaching footsteps. It's coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x x >>

I'm trying to parse this with what I know. Tamara's dead. I know she's dead, the autodoc said so. No brain activity at all, no heart either. That has to be true. And yet, there's something that Little Maria's stories and tales and...religion? I guess? are based on. What did Dunker call her? The Speaker From the Storm? For a fleeting moment, I hear hear again. Radio crackling in my helmet, That's all she wrote, Lombardi. Come on home.

"Tamara,"

I say to no one.

She's gone again. That couldn't have been real.

I know she died moments after getting out of the tube. I think she got me up, too. I lived, she didn't. Pod C, Tube A, Jackson. Pod C, Tube B, Lombardi. I don't - didn't - shouldn't have access to the other pods. All the systems were on lockdown, and I don't have authority anyway. Didn't. I think. Why is it all so fuzzy?

Never meet your idols, girl.

"I am the Watcher of the Threshold; my role is to keep the Gate intact and the Facility safe. Together, the Saints may be able to stop the Destruction. But only if we all walk the earth again." I pause, I think that's right, and restated for the new world as well. "Right now, the Gate alone can protect the Facility, and so I may search for the other Saints." And then what? How will we know -- The SOP! They were missing, and I think I might know where they are now, sort of.

"We will also need the Mission Documents, the SOP binders. With them, the Saints can rise to their true potential. A full, intact set could perhaps be used to even...canonize another, even now." I still don't know why they were missing, but maybe we can find them. Maybe. Even a single page would unfreeze my memories a bit, I'm sure of it. They have to still exist. I need them to, maybe even more than I need my (former?) colleagues. I'm alive. Who knows what's happened to them. Maybe they're still in Stasis. Maybe they're...whatever happened to Jackson. Let's find out.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply