Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL

Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo

"I have a sidearm," I tell 142, keeping the trepidation from my voice. Our briefings repeatedly warned of the dangers of leaving our jacks and exposing ourselves to the tainted energy infusing the world. But I am a Valkyrie. My mission requires I take this risk, and so I shall.

But not without precautions. I key in the commands that will tell the AI to protect itself if the jack is interfered with, then pull open the survival locker. I strap on a carry harness over my flight suit, and attach the holster for my sidearm as well as the pouches for extra magazines. I insert a mag into the pistol, make sure the red dot is showing, and holster it. Then I pull the helmet on. It's not rated for ballistics and the air-filtration is limited, but it's better than nothing.

And then it's time. I take a deep breath, and hit the hatch release.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 Ψ-harm from exiting walking suit = (5+1)+1 = 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*

Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| 1-armor

gently caress. More time has passed than I had expected. Gotta play it cool.

"Ah, you got it already? Good. I'm going to just borrow it for a sec, I'll give it back to him later, okay? You go have yourself a drink." I give him an appreciative nod as I pick up the radio. Then I turn to address the people surrounding me.

"Alright, bois! Good job keeping it frosty back there. Feel free to go back to whatever you were doing now." They nod, and break ranks to go back to their duties. See, this is why I don't take every drooling, bloodthirsty maniac in my gang. Much easier to keep under control. And a well-directed soldier with trigger control is worth three of those.

--------------------------

Back in my tent, I fiddle with the radio for a while. I tune it to the station that used to be Swamp Ash Radio. This thing probably doesn't have the same radius as that radio tower, but with some luck enough people will hear it that word of mouth will spread my word throughout the wastes.

"Attention, people. This is Vaya, leader of Waterway, speaking. I have a message for Crompton and anyone dumb enough to work for him. Give it up. You are not going to get your grubby little hands on Waterway. Anyone who shows up in my territory spouting some bullshit about Greater Cromptonia" I add a little chuckle here, just in case he starts thinking he's a threat in some way. "is going to end up face down in the swamp. Anyone who defects from that fucker and proves that they have the wits to make it to Waterway, you're gonna be under my protection. We can always use more people who know what they're doing."

"I also have a message for the Stonechildren. Yeah, I know it was you who got Crompton that walker, you little fuckheads. I'm keeping that one, by the way, just to teach you a lesson about messing with me. And if you don't stop supplying them to him, I'm going to purge your little creed from the wastelands.

Same offer applies to you, even though you clearly don't deserve it. Side with me, and you're gonna be fine. Side with Crompton, and you might as well go jump in the sea and get eaten by seawolves, 'cause they're gonna be more merciful than me."

I close the mic and pick up the radio. With a smile on my lips, I go search for Old Scratch, to give him his radio back.

quote:

I got a 6 on my Manipulate someone roll to get the Stonechildren off Crompton's payroll. Oof.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Jul 9, 2018 around 15:18

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Scarlet
Absinthe give you an appraising look when you tell him Corgi is still alive, like he’s pleasantly surprised.

The bath is nice, the Murkmuck has a decidedly petrochemically smell to it. Maybe its your relaxed muscles that help, as you rise up easily into the winds. You see them all across the Valley, eddies and fronts and twisters. But all moving towards the south, focusing and meeting at a nexus on the western edge of the Bonefields. Spilling around the unnatural mountain there.

The Speaker posted:

I see you Red Greenova. Go’s life is in your hands, if you do not act she and Canal will die.

SKADI
You were not sent blind into this, Command had the fragmented dataset detailing what was known of Extrasensory Overload Syndrome. They had tried to prepare you, but even two hours in the Scream Tank wasn’t enough for what happened when the Ѱ-rig powered down.

Luckily you only blacked out for a moment, 142 lending a steadying hand on your arm. The overwhelming pressure was still there, but the breathing techniques made it bearable. Just. 142 nods, and hands you a battered Автома́т Кала́шникова-style rifle. With a few hand-motions that mostly make sense to you, she leads you through a side door and into a warren of halls and rooms seemingly built into the walls of the city/refinery. After a few minutes, she pauses in front of a rusted staircase heading down. Looking to you, she places a hand over her ear, then makes a vigorous thrusting motion with it.
Quiet or Loud
(You don't notice something important)

Vaya
Unfortunately, the radio is quiet after your speech, no messages of immediate surrender. That would have been too easy, right? Old Scratch's shack/shop/trashheap is on the edge of the market, and you get all sorts of friendly greetings as you walk. Most aren’t exactly sure what happened, but you kept the assholes out, so they’re happy. Looks like Corgi’s place managed to burn down, hopefully someone will let you know the deal with that at some point.

As you enter Old Scratch’s place, you hear the sound of poo poo getting tossed around in back. It stops as his door bangs back, and there’s a muffled sob. Old Scratch, all scrawny 50 kilos of him, comes shuffling out of the back. He has tears streaming down the dark leather of his cheeks, and a huge loving revolver in his hand.

“Why? Oh why did you have to do that chiquita? Why did you have to say those things? I don’t want to have to do this, you have to understand. But you did what you did and said what you said and now I have to do this.”

Yx
Lantern-girl dims slightly at her Saint’s touch, but not much. This Lombardi continues to word at you, empty things without the subtle textures and gradations of intent and motive. But something niggles at the back of your mind, a subtle change in the tenor of the Song.

Spec. Lombardi
MarMar winds herself down, but not by much. In a slightly lower tone she speaks urgently. “Beware Saint, they were the robes of the Folly-folk. Folly slaved and torm’d all they could, its folk can’t be trusted.”

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL

Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo

The Scream Tank was no preparation at all for this. That was sharp, immediate. This... I feel the skin crawling on my back, like I'm constantly being watched. That would be bad enough, but I also want to look up. When I first landed it was disorienting to have nothing above me. Now I fully understand the ancient texts that spoke of the sky as if it was more than simply open space, as a tangible thing - and it feels like it's about to fall on my head. It's a distraction I do not need. I need to focus on my mission. I am a valkyrie.

I accept the rifle from 142. It's a model I recognize from the manuals - or at least, close enough to one. The controls are simple enough, though it feels a bit clumsy in my hands. I sling it for now. At her signed question, I pat my hand down. Quiet. For now.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2018 around 03:01

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*

Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 4/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| 1-armor

You know, for a minute there I thought it was time to relax. I mean, poo poo was probably going to go down in the next few days, but for now the crisis of the day was solved and I could stop feeling tense for a minute. Even the fact that Corgi had somehow managed to burn down his place didn't shake my good vibes, I just made a mental note to go check it out once I'm done with this. I should have known better.
"Hey, Scratch! I got your radio, thanks for-"

It's about then that he pulls the gun on me.

God drat it. He looks like he's about to break down. Men who're breaking down are dangerous, even with rusty guns.

"Scratch. C'mon now. I haven't been such a crappy leader that I deserve to get shot. What's the problem here? You aren't seriously worried about those cocksnots of Crompton's, are you?"

That's it. Just gotta buy some time before making my move...

quote:

Got a 10 on my Read A Sitch roll, and I ask: "What should I be on the lookout for?" "What's my enemy's true position?" and "Who's in control here?"
Also I get 1 XP for rolling Sharp

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Jul 11, 2018 around 15:41

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.

Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 3/5 | Barter: 6

I can barely feel the water anymore as I watch the winds. The winds point to the nexus...E'Kidnaw? Then The voice in my ear speaks of "Go" and "Canal." But it addresed me as Red Greenova, so perhaps it means something else? Does E'Kidnaw have anything to do with them? I focus on myself, pulling my mind away from the Maelstrom. I sense everything fading and the sensation of being back in the world come to me. For a second it feels like I'm falling and I flail in the tub, feeling foolish right away.

When I'm done, I head to the coals and take some of the soup to eat. Dad is already there, eating in silence. I sit down, eating some of it while I gather my thoughts. Then I speak. "I may have something to do after this. The Maelstrom showed me winds gather towards E'Kidnaw, I think. And then it told me that Go's life is in my hands, and that she and Canal will die without me. But it also called me Red Geenova, so...I don't know if that's the actual names. Do you know of anyone by those names? Or what it could mean?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder

Clever Betty

3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | o o o o >>

I thank Little Maria and wait for this bizarre Folly-robed lady to reply. I think my crowd is getting restless, though, especially as Little Maria's words start to filter back...

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cool=0 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird+2 | 0:00 Harm | 0-Armor | XP ++---> | 6-Barter

I stare at the howling emptiness, trying in vain to hear what lies within. Nothing. I won't learn anything this way, and not knowing sets my teeth on edge. I'll just have to keep my ears open and be ready for treachery.

"No threat. Your torch has misheard, I think; I was indeed a guest of the cave-hold, but they... didn't trust me with the keys." Wait... what was that? I turn away and close my eyes to hear better. What is that? Something... something is changing... like distant bells...

No, I have to pay attention to the shape and her entourage for now. "...yes. Yes, we do have a little time to spare. The Rokoff will begin soon, and I have much to do before, but the audience are just now arriving. It'll be a while before the main event begins." I tilt my head towards her, and towards the torch-girl. Should I... offer my hand? I sort of halfway do it. I'm used to hearing what people want; dealing with the vortex reminds me of those first weeks after they changed my eyes. "Yx. I- You- Well, I will gladly answer your questions if you will answer mine."

Ignoring the restless murmuring of the saint-chasers, I murmur quietly to Lombardi. "I haven't met the Solo yet. I've been told he intends to cause dissonance and disharmony, and I've seen him consort with..." How do I explain this? "...with people who... carry silence with them." I twist my mouth uncertainly. "Like you... but, uh, not like you." I shrug. "Anyway, I intend to see for myself. Up close. To be sure."

"As for the Rokoff..." I listen again. That sound... "I don't know."

"Something is changing."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder

Clever Betty

3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | o o o o >>

"You shouldn't dress like slavers if you don't want to be associated with them," I scold. But the rest of her answers are helpful, somewhat. "Thank you, Yx. I can't say a heavy metal concert is exactly... non-dissonant, if you will." I smile. Not quite sure if she'll get the joke, or, as I consider, if I really am making a joke. "Yx, I've also heard that SKADI's colleague has been suborned by Glorifikus." I try not to imagine Rather wincing, but continue talking to Yx. "SKADI and her colleague are being called the Knights, and you're right, they are like me, but not." I weigh my options, and decide not to elaborate too much, not yet. But I will give her this food for thought. "Something is changing, though, and the fact that both Knights and Saints walk again, now, is a very strong sign of that. Yet what has happened or what is to come? That is not clear." I turn and step, slightly, so I'm addressing the crowd as well as Little Maria and Yx.

"Anyone who tells you they know the whole story of what's next? They're lying."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?

Scarlet
Absinthe looks up quickly, spilling a bit of his soup. “You don’t want to be having anything to do with Mother’s Mountain daughter-mine. Nothing but crazies and eaters that way. And the ghosts. Grave that big got ghosts aplenty.” He mops up the spilled soup and nods to himself, a sign that he considers that discussion closed. “And as for your mystery names, Im not rightly sure. But when I was a kid, I had a picture-book from Before. Most of it was burnt up, but one of the pages had a nice pic of the Suzie Canal on it. It was a big old waterway to the southwest of us. So it looks like you might be able to squeeze Vaya for protection if you’d like. She’s still paying good, right?”

SKADI
142 nods at your sign and moves slowly down the stairwell. It emerges into a intersection of poorly-lit concrete tunnels. She points down one of the halls, at a large metal door that looks like something you’d find on OLYMPUS. Putting a hand on your shoulder, she then points out a few of what the locals seem to call ‘roughboiz’ wandering about. Another series of motions. Wait. Go. Hide. Go.

(You’ll need an Act Under Fire to move down the hallway stealthily)

Vaya
Old Scratch blinks at you, his eyes watery. “No, no, chiquita. You’re a good Boss, the best I’ve seen maybe. And Crompton’s a fuckhole. But you had to sass the General, he can’t be having that. He needs the Stonechildren to be boogies, the Yaga you warn your kids about. So now you need to die messy-like.” You hear a faint tinny sound, like a quiet radio, coming from Old Scratch. He raises the gun incrementally, not quite pointed at you but a little closer.

“I’m sorry.”

(-What should I be on the lookout for? That old gun is a hand-cannon, it’ll seriously hurt anything it hits
-What's my enemy's true position? Someone is pulling Old Scratch’s strings from a distance
-Who's in control here? You are. He really doesn’t want to kill you. But he will.)

Yx and Spec. Lombardi
Your little palaver is drawing a fair amount of attention at this point. Most of the crowd is busy doing whatever, but there’s a fair gathering of gawkers. At Lombardi’s declaration, a bit of a hub-hub starts. Some point of doctrinal difference is seems, between the Dox and the Choir-folk. Rather steps forward, worry broadcasting hard enough that even Lombardi is picking it up. “Uh, perhaps such dignitaries would like to take refreshments in the shrine? Rest weary feet and such? Please?

A young man runs up breathless. A gleaming icon of a dark-skinned man holding a crew gun bounces against his chest. “S-saint! Its really you, by the Bright Man! They said you were looking for the Knight? I saw them dismount and go into the living quarters.”

«6 »