Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Post
  • Reply
PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Scarlet
Not just the colors fall away, but the lack of colors too. You’re left with a pencil-sketch world, thin lines over the white void. Emptiness, draining the you-ness from between your lines until you-

Wait. Not all color. Faint blobs, far to the north. Smug, self-satisfied. Toasting the end of Waterway and the holds of the Murk. Connected to mere pinpricks of pigment closer to you. Warmer to you. Snug, secure, staring at you through a telescopic sight. Crosshairs following your sway, lingering. east.


Vaya
You swear that the boards and railing that Scarlet touch begin to go white, almost fade. But nothing horrible leaps out of her mouth and her body doesn’t explode, so well enough.

Mulling over the reports you’ve just been given, there is one thing that worries you. the fact that you’re outnumbered or that you’re walls are poo poo aren’t good, but you know about those. Its the mystery lurking in the woods. The wide-gauge ruts of a full track vehicle the scouts saw. The deep rumble of a biggurl diesel the echoes across the swamp on occasion.

There’s a metal beast stalking Waterway, and you don’t know what exactly it is…


Yx
You don’t even have to play at pretending anything, Glorifikus drinks up your praise as it is only proper to worship one such as him.

“I vould love to taste of you, my Folly-fan, as your heart is full of deep rhythms. But I must attend my dearest boi, my Axecutioner. He vas to bring me gifts for my ascension, but found only a Knight’s blade. It is only fitting that his soul should be the one to propel me to my rightful place, ja? You may join me my drumroll, and see the mercies that the new God of the Metal shall bring to all!”


SKADI
The children relax noticeably when you agree to attend to Lombardi, you don’t miss the small weapons being put away. As they lead you across the courtyard they flutter about you like pre-creche children of OLYMPOS, all questions and nervous energy.

The dox shrine is a stated difference from the grimey bustle of the rest of The Works, all gleaming metal and hushed voices. You’re acknowledged with polite nods and murmurs in a language Heracles’s auti-dictionary tags as ‘RUSSIAN, UNKNOWN VARIANT’. A young woman with letters (T and C) scarred onto her face and introduces herself as MarMar, the Saint’s bestboi. She’s in the middle of offering you hospitality when her eyes widen and you hear an undignified squawk behind you, from 142.

A massive mountain of a woman, covered in tattoos replicating the iconography on the walls, has picked up 142 by the shoulder and is brandishing her at the rest of the Dox.
“Its not enough that we had to break bread with one of Folly’s brain-witchers, now the Saint summons one of their seeker-bitches? Did not the Prophet say to beware those that would seek dominion over you? Did not the Bright Man drive the False-keepers from His shrine? Yet we are supposed to sup and palaver with those that ground us down and stole our families?!”


Lombardi
The page hasn’t changed, the scrawl stares back at you. But then… a noise? Your room is the nicest of those attached to the shrine, covered in worked metal artwork. Which is now vibrating slightly, a high pitched whine. The whine begins to modulate, differentiate. A faint melody, some possible words. Its… vaguely familiar, like something forgotten from childhood, even before Stasis took a jackhammer to your memories.

The music slowly grows louder as you listen, the emphasis on what must be the title of the piece unmistakable. But as it begins to build into something else, the spell is broken by angry noises from the main shrine. Jax-Aimbot yelling, and MarMar telling her to put down the guest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Barter: 5

Their leaders are farther off then I though, but once I get through the danger here I could find them. Or perhaps get their location from the people laying siege. They'd surely have to have camps set up. But then I see the crosshairs, and I feel the color rush back into the world. I duck down, behind the walls. drat. I take a look over the wall again, taking care to avoid putting myself in the line of a sniper again.

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+1 Read a Sitch = (5+1)+1 = 7
What's my best way into the camp of the attackers?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 2-barter | o o o o >>

"I could hear it," I growl as I'm rapidly strapping up my packs, throwing on the helmet, and raising the balaclava. Make sure the tac is scrolling data, what it is doesn't matter. Weapons strapped but slung. Show the full image, but coming out hot isn't going to help. I think about closing the book, but no, I leave it open to the page. "Write something new, I'll catch it."

I emerge from the shrine. drat it. drat it drat it drat it. This was so close to working smoothly. And then Jax-Aimbot had to get antsy. "Put her down, Jax-Aimbot. What you have done here is disgraceful. Attacking someone I personally invited peacefully to confer with? Are you a coward? Knight SKADI and her escort are here by my request and if you have issue with that request you discuss it with me." My voice does not rise. "You would disappoint your namesake."

The air is still tense. "Knight SKADI, thank you for joining us. I apologize for the overzealousness of some members of the Dox - I trust you have zealots of your own and can relate." A moment passes. "Jax-Aimbot, put the Knight's escort down, and as a show of good faith, hand your pistol to Bardiche; you and I will talk after this meeting."

The question remains: what does she do?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 9:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x o o o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I am reaching for my weapon when the Specialist appears. I let my hand rest on the grip but do not draw it, waiting to see if she has her flock in hand. "Zeal in the name of an honorable cause is commendable, but I care not for past grievances. Reclamation is at hand. My mission - our mission," I correct, looking to 142, "was handed down from the same authority that gave Specialist Lombardi her mission. The threads of our Fate are intertwined. Put her down and I will forget this."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| 1-armor

It looks like Scarlet's got it under control for now, but I keep an eye on her. You never know what's going to happen with people in trance. Hopefully things don't get too awkward as everyone waits for her to finish what she's doing.

"Gonna have to tell her to not do this poo poo while we're in the middle of a war council..." I mumble, loud enough for everyone to hear.

megane
Jun 20, 2008




Cool=0 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird+2 | 0:00 Harm | 0-Armor | XP +++--> | 5-Barter

Sometimes things are just too easy. I run my fingers lightly across the polished surface of Glorikifus' lite-armor, muttering meaningless praise, until my gloved hand touches the skin of his muscular arm. The world around me goes empty and pale. I can feel the breath leaving my lips as I speak, but hear no sound. I can feel the heat of the light on my eyes, but can find no meaning in the images I see. There is only the heartbeat, his heartbeat, big as the sun, pounding like an anvil, multiplied a thousandfold and poured directly into my tattered veins by those clever little wires in the palm of my glove. Let me hear your voice, little heart. What secrets have you spoken to the world, safe in the knowledge that no one speaks your language?

Don't worry.

I won't tell.

Rolled a 7 in Disc for Deep Brain Scan. Question is: in what ways is your characters' mind and soul vulnerable?

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Scarlet
No bullet comes, you can almost feel the slow release of the sniper’s trigger finger as you duck back into cover. Taking another look, more carefully this time, you begin to see bits of the larger picture. Mainly, that the besiegers are mechanized. At least, they’re moving troops around by vehicle. Which means they’re sticking to the high ground. Someone who didn’t mind getting filthy as gently caress could probably make good use of the creeks and mudbogs that criss-cross the swamps outside Waterway. Swim/crawl through the mess, come out where the sentries might not be looking.


Vaya
Scarlet comes back without anything nasty following her, but she’s a bit twitchy like. You can see the gears turning though, her brain’s working overdrive.

And you notice something else. As your boiz start to get ready for the coming day, you notice a certain tension. You situation may be stable in a logistical sense, but you think folks might be cut out for long term waiting. Another day or two, and then they’re going to need to see some action.


Yx
Glorifikus is a impenetrable tower of ego, outwardly at least. But with a bit of subtly you slip in through a crack in the psychic masonry and dive deep. You see a small pale child, covered in soot from cleaning the many pipes of The Works. The child growing up, twisted and frail. Until they hear the Song, and then master it. Their body straightens, then fills out. Wealth and Power comes to them easily. But always, in the deep dark pits of self-doubt: ‘What if my Voice went away? What if the Song left me?”


SKADI and Lombardi
Jax-Aimbot peers into Lombardi and SKADI’s face(plate)s, then looks over the shocked and hushed Dox. You both can see a tiny spark of hope go out in her eyes, and she snarls.

Good Faith! More of your moldy words, Saint-of-Trashspeak! You want your Folly-bitch that badly, have her then!” With a casual flip of her wrist, 142 is flying through the air. She bounces of a sculpture of the Prophet before landing heavily. Jax-Aimbot raises her arms to the Dox. “Those of you that are tired of words, to me! We shall throw of the yoke of the Oppressor, even if the Saint refuses to do more than talk!”

She turns and ducks through the doorway of the shrine, a few of the more hotblooded members of the congregation making to follow her. Too few to dent your numbers, but enough to cause trouble with whoever they cross.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 2-barter | o o o o >>

Midwife's already heading towards the form of 142 with her white headscarf rustling as she hustles. I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm embarassed, I'm sure SKADI's pissed, and this is a whole drat mess. Then an idea hits me.

I reach into a pouch and pull a spare pistol magazine out, and pop the top round off. Holding the round at arm's length, I begin to speak. "Excommunication, the most severe penalty. Not a simple execution, but a fear of death and humiliation that follows one around until their end of days, which usually does come swiftly." I drop the round to the dirt. "Aimbot is stripped of her Saintly name and of all association with the Dox. By her words and deeds she has shown that she is not one of us and has rejected us vociferously." I kick some of the dirt over the round, lightly burying it. "So let it be known that Aimbot's life is forfeit and she is to be regarded as an enemy combatant."

I put the magazine back into its pouch.

"Please accept my apologies, Knight SKADI, and know that while you are in my presence I will personally guarantee your safety."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 9:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x o o o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I whirl on the Specialist, furious at this violation of guest right, this failure of duty and stain upon my honor. 142 is under my protection, and Lombardi requested my presence here. For one of her vassals to lay hands on mine is a betrayal I did not expect and cannot condone. My hand is on my pistol as I whirl to face her - and then her words bring me to a stop.

I chastise myself - Lombardi is an honorable woman, and the actions of her follower stain her honor as much as mine. I should have known she could not tolerate such a thing, that she would be deeply embarrassed by the actions of Jax-Aimbot and would do everything in her power to set it right. To pronounce such a ban on one of her own is a sign of the respect she holds for me and for herself.

I push my weapon back into its holster, then give a shallow bow to my host. "I accept your apology, Specialist Lombardi, and that you have taken immediate action to rectify this offense. I am satisfied, and confident that this Jax-Aimbot will meet the fate she has brought down upon her." I walk over to check on 142, crouching beside Midwife until she assures me that the Folly-woman will recover, then return to Lombardi.

"Let us begin our council."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Barter: 5

I start thinking. Them being in vehicles might make this a bit more complicated but a good vantage point and my rifle should help out. And perhaps...

I turn to Vaya. "I think I have a plan to disrupt the attackers. Can you give me grenades?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| 1-armor

I give Scarlet one of my looks. You know the ones I'm talking about.
"So, you wanna share what exactly this plan is before I go entrusting you with our precious explosives?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 2/5 | Barter: 5

"They're using the high ground. So I could sneak up on them by going through the creeks and mudbogs outside Waterway. Once I get close to them I'll figure out who's leading them here and take them out. I could use my rifle, but grenades would inflict more damage and cause more chaos. Then we could figure out where the people who sent them are."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*



Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| 1-armor

I tap my fingers on the table, thinking. It's... not a bad plan, all things considered. Sure, the bogs around here are death traps full of quicksand, crab-hounds and gators, but Scarlet's got the kind of reputation that makes me suspect she's not going to end up half-eaten in the muck while our explosives gather rust next to her corpse.

I take a look at the others, my war-council, my speakers-for. They're here to let me know what my folks need, what they want and what they're grumbling about. It'd be stupid to ignore their opinions.

"That tracks for me. I did a scouting run earlier today, and pooled what I heard with the rest of our scouts. They've got some powerful treads out there, but that's not going to help them if we strike from the wetlands. What'd the rest of you think?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?



SKADI and Lombardi
Aimbot continues farther out into the courtyard without pause at Lombardi's words. A few of those that were following her out do pause, looking at each other conflicted before fading into the knot of Dox around the Shrine. There's general murmurs of approval at the Saint's actions, and a few of the older faithful offer their own apologies to you SKADI.

142 has sat up with Midwife's assistance, and is attempting to wave the old woman off. Midwife's having none of it however, having dealt with stubborn refinery workers for decades. She catches you eyer Lombardi, and gives you a 'she'll be ok' thumbs-up.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«7 »