Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 9:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x x o o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 10:00 Ammo


I do not reply to the monster - I did not know that it would speak, but if it must, then it will speak only lies. My mantra is for myself, to remind myself of my purpose. "I am a knight of OLYMPOS. I descended to the corrupted Earth beneath the cursed Sky on a pillar of fire. I was Chosen to open the path home from Exile." I insert the key into the firing console and turn it. "I am the sword of Reclamation."

As I speak, maneuver again, getting a clear angle and preparing to fire. "GJALLARHORN beacon active," the AI intones. "MJOLNIR charge at 90%." The shroud unfolds to reveal the MJOLNIR's targeting system, a brilliant point of scintillating light impossible to focus on. The resolution and saturation of the AR overlay drops. "Local electromagnetic interference increasing. Charge at 96%. S-s-switching to analogue backup." The last word is distorted and choppy as the beacon pulls the weapon onto target. The controls go sluggish and heavy, but I am prepared for this.

As the display fades out, I can see the mechanical indicators behind them, all showing green save for the firing solution. A simple unity scope gives me a clear view outside as the cameras flicker in and out. The AI continues, becoming increasingly unintelligible. "Charge at 99%. 99.7%. 100.3% "As I watch, the targeting indicator flips from yellow STANDBY to green READY with a metallic snap. "MJOLNIR *static* 102%" The geared timer clicks down to 10, 9, 8 as I flip the cover off the heavy firing switch. "MJOLNIR char*static* at 103.3333333-" I throw the switch.

For a moment there's nothing. Just the monster coming for me, wary of the beacon but intent on my destruction.

Then a broken ray of light appears, rising up from the ground behind ECHIDNA towards the sky, in disconnected sections. Particles like embers from a fire appear and then fade. It's beautiful, almost peaceful. And then the counter hits zero and every one of the indicators flip from green to red with a sound like a hatch slamming. FIRING.

The ray is merely the final targeting, a carrier for the true weapon. A terrible light appears behind the clouds above, like a second sun, and the scattered ray snaps into focus. A terrible scream, a sound of no living thing, fills my head, blanking out thought and fear and self. And then it hits. It should be invisible. But I can still see it, see the beam strike, something beyond mere force, inimical to existence itself. The protective cover slams shut on the sight just before the explosion.

The blastwave knocks even my walking suit back. For a moment everything goes dark as the systems crash and even the emergency lights fail. But then the alarms are back as the indicators flip to STANDBY again and the timer resets. The AI says something unintelligible. "Repeat," I say, or try to. The word is gibberish to my own ears. Still, there's a response. "F-f-f-f-firing sequence complete. Recharging. Recharging. MJOLNIR charge at 4%. 666 seconds to full charge. Capacitor charge at 200% and falling, emergency followup shot available in 13 seconds."

The screens are struggling to come back up, so I reach out and manually open the sight cover again, praying to the gods that it was enough.

MJOLNIR (8-harm far area messy)
@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 Seize by Force = (2+2)+2+1 = 7
• You inflict terrible harm (+1harm).
• You take definite and undeniable control of it.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 23, 2018 around 16:53

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


0:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 2-barter | x x o o >>

I'm about to key the tac to let SKADI know we've reached the estimated minimum safe distance, but as I turn, I see the sky sizzle and open. She didn't wait. Good. "Get down," I drily command, but I don't know if Mother Rust or Rather or really, anyone is even listening. I'm not sure it matters. There's a younger one here, too, and I bring them in and shield their face. "We are all humans in the face of cleansing fire," and mish-mashing my religious references, I continue, "with the storm winds of the south, God's Hand is manifest."

And seconds later, we are all blinded with light, and then there is darkness. Perhaps on the other side of the shockwave, there will some brief peace.

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Scarlet
The beast redoubles its thrashing as you cut into its remaining eye, throwing its head into the trees with abandon. You’re able to maintain your grip on a tuft of hair, but you perch is rapidly becoming unworkable. The Destroyer has also begun moving erratically through the swamp in its blind pain. While its currently not moving towards Waterway, its hard to predict where it may wheel to next.
(The Destroyer is now at 2-harm and is blind.)


SKADI
(Exchange of harm: ECHIDNA Takes 9-harm vs 0-armor, destruction. Heracles takes 5-harm vs 2-armor, 3 harm and 2-harm blows through to SKADI)

Your sight cover open just in time for a wave of blue-white flame engulfs [i]Heracles
. You struggle to bring it to bear as several panels explode under the strain, singeing you and setting off cockpit fires.

But that is the last gasp of the Jotun, you can see through the clearing smoke that the metal body it built for itself lays shattered before you. You can hear the faint voice of the Vala calling your callsign worriedly, pleading to give them a status report. In the distance, a lone bit of remaining superstructure topples over in the Revenant settlement, and crude fosfuel gushes into the air.


Lombardi
The Dox and other Works-folk hunker down as well, many praying to the Saints and other various gods. The light is bad, bleeding through even tightly closed eyes. But oddly enough, there’s no physical shockwave, aside from the rumble of tons of metal falling to pieces a mile away.

But a subtle pressure builds within those huddled around around you, more and more crying out in pain. Until you feel a small hand on your shoulder, icey cold to the touch. Its NQMM, resolute expression on her face and electricity in her hair. Before you can say anything, you feel HATERAGEANGERHATEKILLYOUKILLCONSUMEHATE something flow from the crowd, through her, and into you, only to vanish. After a moment the feeling fades and she gives you a weak smile.

“Well, that was unpleasant. Lucky for us you’re such a nelly. Ninny.” Confusion spreads across her face. “Nincom-, nul- n-n-n-n-” Her eyes roll back in their sockets and she collapses, convulsing in the dirt.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 2:00 Harm | 9:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x x o o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 10:00 Ammo


"Loki's tits," I curse as every alarm in the Heracles goes off at once. I slap the switches for the fire suppression and get a face full of the inert foam. At least it smothers the fires more than it does me. A scrabble blindly across the control panel for the MASTER ALARM switch finally brings quiet back into the cockpit.

"Vala, SKADI. Moderate damage, sensors down, AI assist down. Visual confirmation of direct hit on target, good effect on target. Repeat, direct hit, good effect. Visual assessment - target neutralized. Requesting instrument confirmation of target neutralized."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Cool=0| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 6:00| 1-armor | XP: 2/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| 1-armor

She's blinded it. Mother's mercy, against any notion of what is possible and what is not, Scarlet is actually holding her own against a Destroyer. I choose to focus on how to give her tactical support without having my people butchered, instead of the warmth that I'm feeling in the depths of my chest. Yep, totally ignoring that.

"Okay people, I want you to fan out. Keep your distance, but approach the creature from multiple angles. Take pot shots at it, keep it distracted from Scarlet. Let her do her job."

Her job. As if I had hired to take on a Destroyer. Can you put a price on something like that?

quote:

Got a 7 on my help roll, so Scarlet gets a +1 on her next roll.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 6:00 | XP: 4/5 | Barter: 5

I hold on tight, feeling my feet barely managing to keep on the Destroyer as it stomps around. Blinding it is a good start, but there has to be more. As I move to grab the hair to help me stay on I brush past the grenades I got from Vaya.

That's it.

I use my free hand to pull one out, and then bring it up to my other hand and use a finger to pull the pin. I keep the lever closed, until the Destroyer opens its mouth as Vaya's people fire on it. Then I throw it in - aiming to get it into the throat.

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+4 Do Something Under Fire = (4+3)+4 = 11
Includes +1 from Vaya's help
Marking XP for rolling Cool, will pick an advance later

PoultryGeist
Feb 26, 2013

Crystals?


Scarlet and Vaya
Vaya, your boiz do you proud. Dodging and weaving around the huge beast’s legs, keeping it distracted with only minor digs and scraps to them and their vehicles. Which is just the opening you need Scarlet, as the Destroyer steadies itself in order to stomp a truk you swing the bag of grenades into its roaring mouth.

It arcs inside cleanly, and for a moment you think that it was a dud. Then a great gout of blood explodes out of side of the beast’s muzzle, carrying one of its great tusks with it. Like its strings have been cut, the monster collapses boneless to the ground. You’re thrown well clear Scarlet, a bit rumpled but its better than being crushed under the bulk.

The beast still breathes, but its wounds wounds would be lethal on a lesser animal. But can a Destroyer bleed out?


SKADI
There’s silence on the line for a disturbingly long time, broken only by the pops of solar flares and the clacking of the Vala’s keyboard. Then her voice, full of wonder and pride.

“Sensor analysis: JOTUNN energies absent - confirmed kill! ASGARD confirms results, declares for Beachhead Protocol. Matrix Stabilizer arrival in T-minus 5 hours from mark. Mark.”

You’ve done it, you’ve killed one (if not THE) Jotunn. And beyond that, your commanders have decided to use this locale as a staging area for further missions. Reclamation is at hand!


Lombardi
There’s scattered sobbing and movement amongst your band of survivors, but your attention is focused on the small form before you, twitching and moaning softly. Motion (closetooclose) catches you eye and your hand goes to your rifle. Its Mother Rust, looking much older than she did at the beginning of the RokOff. She holds her hands out non-threateningly and nods to NQMM.
“Your daughter-kin’s Voice sings two Songs. Dangerous under the best of concerts, and this ain’t that. A skilled Solo could draw out one of the Songs, let the other be. The question would be which one, perhaps.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

Oh, don't worry, don't worry!

It's not my blood.



Cool +3 | Hard -2 | Hot +1 | Sharp +1 | Weird +2
Harm: 6:00 | XP: 0+1/5 | Barter: 5

Taking Dangerous and Sexy for my advance

I hit the ground hard, a couple of gasps of air knocked out. I slowly get up on my feet and look. I look at the Destroyer, bleeding all over the ground as it lays defeated. The lack of colors means that surely, it will die soon. I begin walking to Gonegirl. The color is still there, but faded somewhat. I bend down, landing on my knees. I look for what I can do - but these are burns and bad ones. She'll live through this fight - but for how long after? I hold her head and begin to open my mind again and that's when I notice my hand glowing and the glowing transferring to Gonegirl and the fading of color everywhere and the area around us becoming...strange, and-

@Scarlet (Heliotrope): 2d6+2 Healing Touch = (5+4)+2 = 11
Marking XP for rolling Weird
Gonegirl heals 1 segment of her harm clock


and she's...fine? Well no. But better. I can only stare in wonderment and confusion at what just happened.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«9 »