Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 0:00 Charge | 0:00 Ammo


LCDR Liu-Tereshkova, Artemis

I sit up in the suit's harness, watching the contacts for a moment. An unknown threat moving through the... trees. I wasn't prepared for how tall they would really be - I knew intellectually, but it's different, being in among them.

As I watch, the suit's head turns slightly to bring the contacts in view. It's not an ideal tactical position - caught between two forces. The one near the entrance doesn't appear to have anything that can threaten me, but assumptions are dangerous things. I bring the combat systems online, flip the cover on the red switch, ready to activate the HAMASK system.

The time of waiting seems to be over.

SidekickBOT - Today at 10:05 PM
@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 read a sitch = (4+4)+1 = 9

Asking:
• What should I be on the lookout for?


Landfall Marine posted:

Name: SKADI (LCDR Liu-Tereshkova, Artemis)
Look: Woman, flight suit, disciplined face, sharp eyes, spare body

Stats: Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2

Moves:
Agent/combatant: you get all of the landfall marine missions. You have contact with an orbital drop/echo platform. Each time you complete a mission, you can call for resupply. During play, the MC may have your superiors contact you with orders or with information relevant to your missions.

Combat driver: when you use your vehicle as a weapon, inflict +1harm. When you inflict v-harm, add +1 to your target’s roll. When you suffer v-harm, take -1 to your roll.

Walkingsuit calibration: when you charge up a walkingsuit, roll+its power instead of roll+weird.

Vulnerabilities:
• You're vulnerable to hunger: you're unable to eat the contaminated food of the Earth's surface, and survive strictly on reclamation-provided rations.

At the beginning of each session, mark one food countdown segment. If your food countdown is at 12:00, mark hunger instead, until you've marked all 3 hunger. Hunger is -1ongoing, cumulative.
• You're vulnerable to Ψ-harm: each time you exit your walkingsuit on the Earth's surface, you suffer Ψ-harm.
• You're vulnerable to reflexive isolation: you're unable to voluntarily open your brain to the world's psychic maelstrom.

Missions:
Because you’re an agent/combatant, you get all of the landfall marine missions.
During play, you can voluntarily abandon your missions, one by one. When you choose to abandon a mission:
• Cross the mission out. You no longer have it.
• Your superiors know, whether you tell them or not, that you have abandoned it. Disciplinary action is up to them.
• You no longer receive resupply for completing it, even if you go on to do so.
• Mark experience.

• Infiltration: when you destabilize and disarm an armed population, without direct combat, seizing its position and resources, receive resupply.
• Information & control: when you parlay with the leader of an armed population, representing reclamation interests, and win material concessions or collaboration, receive resupply.
• Reclamation: when you identify and accurately report an area of the landscape suitable for excavatory bombardment and reclamation, receive resupply.
• Reconaissance: when you identify and accurately report an armed population’s position, strength, numbers, and resources, receive resupply.
• Relief & recovery: when you come to the aid of a fellow landfall marine or other reclamation personnel in duress, or recover reclamation matériel, receive resupply.
• Scout / survey: when you identify and accurately report an area of the landscape with strategic value, receive resupply.
• Spearhead: when you defeat an armed population in direct combat, seizing its position and resources, receive resupply.

Resupply:
When you receive resupply, choose 1 of the following:
• Ammo: erase all of your walkingsuit's ammo countdown segments.
• Bombardment: for the rest of the session, you can use bombardment as a weapon. 8-harm far area messy.
• Medical: erase all of your harm countdown segments.
• Rations: erase all your marked hunger and food countdown segments.
• Reinforcement: the MC brings an NPC landfall marine into play as your reinforcement. Tell her to create them as a threat and to give them a walkingsuit.
• Repair: erase all of your walkingsuit's damage countdown segments.
• Retrofiture: exchange one of your walkingsuit's systems for another of your choice.

Gear:
Walking suit
Flight suit
Fatigues
Sidearm (2-harm close loud)

HX:
Armstrong-2
Spec. Lombardi-2
Melody-2
Zero-2
Corvi-2

Advances:
○ get +1cool (max cool+3)
○ get +1hard (max hard+3)
○ get +1sharp (max sharp+3)
○ get +1hot (max hot+2)
○ you develop tolerance to surface food and are no longer vulnerable to hunger
○ you're no longer vulnerable to Ψ-harm
○ you're no longer vulnerable to reflexive isolation.
get a move from another playbook
○ get a move from another playbook
○ get a move from another playbook

Walking Suit posted:

Name: JACK-034 "Heracles"
Stats: Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2
2-armor

Configuration: Assault
Systems:
Heavy ferro-fibrous armor (+1agility)
Integrated Ψ buffer rig
Improved reactor (+1power)
Pinpoint targeting system (Add +1harm to all weapon systems)
20mm autocannon (6-harm far area messy)

Moves:
When your walkingsuit is in baseline, erase 1 charge segment for each hour that passes.

When you charge up a walkingsuit, roll+weird. On a 10+, mark no charge countdown segments. On a 7–9, mark 1 charge countdown segment. On a miss, mark 2 charge countdown segments.

Once your walkingsuit’s charge countdown has reached 12:00, it cools automatically down to baseline. Before you charge it up again, let it recover some charge segments.

When your walkingsuit goes into hard shutdown, roll+agility. On a 10+, all 3. On a 7–9, choose 2. On a miss, choose 1:
• Your walkingsuit slows to a stop. Otherwise, it freezes immobile at this precise moment.
• Your walkingsuit lands in a stable, balanced position. Otherwise, it falls awkwardly.
• Your walkingsuit maintains its baseline comms and sensor activity. Otherwise, it leaves you deaf and dumb.

When you use your walkingsuit to cover ground, name your route and roll+agility. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7–9, choose 2. On a miss, choose 1:
• Do not mark a charge countdown segment. Otherwise, you must mark 1.
• You cover the ground very quickly: as a vehicle with speed equal to its agility. Otherwise, you cover it only at human running speed.
• You avoid impact with the ground or obstacles. Otherwise, your passage is noisy and you leave an unmistakeable trail of battered scenery.
• You keep to the available cover. Otherwise you expose yourself to enemy attention and fire.

When you use your walkingsuit to force an entrance or exit, name your route and roll+power. On a hit, sweet, you’re there, and anything that stood in your way has suffered whatever harm or impact necessary (MC’s call). On a 7–9, mark 1 charge countdown segment. On a miss, mark 1 charge countdown segment, and you’re hung up somewhere midroute or on some difficult threshold.

When your walkingsuit’s ammo countdown reaches 12:00, you’re out of ammo. Do not use any of your weapon systems until you use resupply (or some other means, such as a savvyhead’s workspace) to erase ammo countdown segments.

When you ram a person, a vehicle, or a structure intentionally, add your walkingsuit's power to its massive to determine the harm you inflict.

When you use your walkingsuit as a vehicle otherwise, use its agility for both its speed and its handling.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Aug 29, 2018 around 13:07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 0:00 Ammo


I throw the switch. Immediately the reactor goes from a low hum to a deep thrum. "REACTOR: ONLINE. SENSORS: ONLINE. WEAPONS: ONLINE. ALL SYSTEMS: NOMINAL," the AI intones. My hands find the controls, now as responsive as my own limbs. The darkness beyond comes into bright focus as the targeting sensors come to full power.

The charge up sequence is quick, but noticeable to those outside of my suit. I do not allow time for anyone to respond, however, hurling myself from the treeline. It only takes a few strides to come up to speed as I barrel towards the entry way.

If the ones in the woods want me, they can come and get me.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+3 charge up = (3+4)+3 = 10
@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+3 force an entrance = (1+2)+3 = 6

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:30

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 0:00 Ammo


poo poo. What the hell was that? The ground gave way? Earth is a strange place. I thought I could at least trust rock and dirt. And that klaxon and warning hammer my senses. I need to get out of this killing zone, right now.

The actuators whine as I push them to their limits, getting my jack back on its feet and moving towards the opening. Maybe there's another security system waiting there, but I should be able to get inside the firing arc of whatever the defenses have available. Should.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 do something under fire = (3+3)+1 = 7

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:30

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 3:00 Ammo


This gets better and better. I plant my back to the door and level the autocannon. This is a good a place to make a stand as any, I suppose. Maybe better than most, considering they have to cross that killing ground to get at me.

I watch for the glowing white shapes of targets to coalesce in the bluish field of my sensor enhanced vision. However far these revenants have fallen, I will not take their threat lightly. I will show them what it means to face one of the chosen.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 Defend Something You Hold (Position) = (2+2)+2 = 6
• You hold it decisively against your enemy’s advance
Weapon is 20mm autocannon (6-harm far area messy).

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:30

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


SKADI
Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 3:00 Ammo


Whatever the revenants were expecting, it wasn't me. My gun rips them apart as they try to press the attack, and the automated defenses add to the slaughter. Their explosives must have been made for killing titans though, because they're more than strong enough to damage my jack and to buffet me inside of it.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+0 harm = (6+6)+0 = 12

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 3:00 Ammo


I'm finishing up the reboot process of the actuators when the new arrival calls out to me. I snap back to awareness, acquiring the target rapidly - but then pause. The automated defenses haven't engaged them, and the challenge they'd called out...

I zoom in on them with the scanners, aiming the cannon in their direction but not directly at them. The AI scans, and then pops up an informational screen.

pre:
THREAT DETECTED
CATEGORY: EINHERJAR
**** PRIORITY OBJECTIVE ****
DETERMINE OPERATIONAL STATUS
DETERMINE MISSION PARAMETERS
For the third or fourth time tonight, I am taken completely by surprise - not a good sign. The existence of Einherjar was a favorite rumor on Olympus, the legend of a parallel failsafe enacted by the last of our forebears as their world came crashing down. And now one stands before me, in the flesh, clad in a uniform last worn by figures made legendary by our history. I activate the speakers and suit lamps.

"Lt. Commander Liu-Tereshkova, callsign SKADI, Task Group VALKYRIE, acting under ELYSIUM level authority for Reclamation Control. Name yourself, Einherjar."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:31

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 3:00 Ammo


"The Revenants chose to attack me," I reply, perhaps a bit testily. "Clearly they did not know they were facing one of the Chosen." I let the cannon drop. "And they were unprepared for the automated defenses. Foolish of them."

I take a breath, and then return to the other questions. "I was inserted into the operational area 208956 seconds ago. Acting mission commander? What became of the other Einherjar?"

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2017 around 23:31

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 3:00 Ammo


"That is why I am here," I tell Lombardi. A bit sharply, perhaps. "To set things right, and take back our world. Reclamation begins, Einherjar. ASGARD has decreed-"

The alerts on my HUD interrupt my declaration. The AI struggles to identify the threat, but at least I can see where it is. Mostly.

"Specialist, ware beneath!" I bring my gun to bear, trying to find a true target.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 Read a Sitch = (4+1)+1 = 6
Wah wah.
• What’s my enemy’s true position?

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2018 around 01:38

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 6:00 Ammo


"Spawn of Shahmaran, CENTAUR class threat," I reply, bringing my weapons to bear as the Spawn close in. Their positioning creates a devil's bargain for me - if I protect the Einherjar, then the other will be able to flank me. The choice is a false one, but the damage from the other Spawn will be difficult to overcome.

And then Lombardi gives me the answer. Of course the Einherjar have their own secrets from the lost age. With the targeting data updating, I can track the second Spawn and avoid it's attacks while focusing on the one nearer Lombardi. And thus, that is what I do. "My thanks, Einherjar."

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 Defend Something You Hold = (5+6)+2 = 13
20mm autocannon (6-harm far area messy)
• You inflict terrible harm (+1harm).
• You suffer little harm (-1harm).
• You hold it decisively against your enemy’s advance.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 6:00 Ammo


With Lombardi's data, my walking suit makes short work of one Spawn and sends the other fleeing. The power of the armor is as great as we had hoped, a good sign for the success of Reclamation.

To my surprise, the einherjar moves off in pursuit of Spawn, expressing concern for what must be a Revenant settlement. I hesitate for a moment, then begin to follow. The einherjar may prove critical to my mission, so I'd like to remain in her good graces for now.

"Grab on then," I tell her, moving up beside. The suit has external handles and attachments for just this purpose, after all. "Otherwise we won't catch it."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 6:00 Ammo


"Not that kind," I tell the soldier. And it's true - the cannon is designed to destroy titans in open combat, not make precision kills. But there are other options.

The walking suit skids to a halt. "Get off." As soon as the Specialist does so, I'm moving again, at full speed this time. I lower my shoulder as I close, trying to time it just right, so that I slam into the Spawn as it emerges and before it can grab the bait.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 SBF of Bait, Ramming Speed = (2+5)+2 = 9
+2 Massive, +3 Power
• You inflict terrible harm (+1harm).
• It’s safe, secure, and undamaged in the fighting

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 3:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 3:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 6:00 Ammo


The threat indicators on my HUD tell me these Revenants are far from harmless, but also no match for me. I consider putting them in their place, but I do not think the Einherjar would favor that. Not yet. Not until she understands the depth of their ignorance and foolishness. I reach down and grasp the heavy corpse of the Spawn, and fling it to land beneath the feet of this man.

"I gave you aid, of my own free will, as a favor to the Einherjar," I say, through the suit's loudspeaker. "I asked nothing in return for slaying a Spawn and for saving your man from this one. For giving up all I had known to reclaim humanity's home from the enemy, and to defend its scions still on holy Earth. And yet you threaten me, deny me hospitality, and call it a boon. You boast of your betrayal of common decency, of your ancestor's transgressions."

"You say you have suffered a curse all your life. I say, none are as accursed as the ungrateful. Know that what comes you have brought upon yourselves, by your own hand. Reclamation has begun, Revenant. Defy it at your own peril."

I turn away and start out of the settlement. There is much to report, and repairs to be done. "I will speak with you again, Einherjar. Seek me out when you tire of the company of churls."

Lombardi should get Hx+1 with me.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 6:00 Ammo


The information about local legends would have been useful earlier, but changes little. Still, I suspect I am not done with the denizens of Woodhold.

But that matter is for another day. ASGARD has given me a directive, and a troubling one. I knew there would be other chosen, but one so close? And already in difficulty. That gives me some pride by comparison, but greater concern. There is much about Midgard that is mysterious on its own. Adding more is the last thing we need.

The ODIN level transmission from the ground is the most confusing aspect. Such a thing should only originate within ASGARD. How could another chosen have gained codes at that level? It must have been the chosen... any other possibility is impossible. Isn't it?

It's not an enigma to be solved by contemplation. As soon as the HEPHAESTUS kit finishes its work, I'm on the move. I push the walking suit to its top speed, and it begins to eat up the distance. I make sure follow the ground, avoid exposing myself. Whatever is waiting for me at the coordinates, I don't want it to have a clean shot at me before I see it. That uses up energy and there''s naught I can do about the trail I'm leaving, but for the moment, the greater danger is likely ahead of me.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 Covering Ground = (2+5)+2 = 9
Do not mark a charge countdown segment. Otherwise, you must mark 1.
• You cover the ground very quickly: as a vehicle with speed equal to its agility. Otherwise, you cover it only at human running speed.
You avoid impact with the ground or obstacles. Otherwise, your passage is noisy and you leave an unmistakeable trail of battered scenery.
• You keep to the available cover. Otherwise you expose yourself to enemy attention and fire.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 6:00 Ammo


My intention was to bypass this convoy, but the notification changes my mind. That these Revenants are near the vicinity of where NORN went dark and hauling something putting off an OLYMPOS IFF - too serendipitous to ignore. If it proves to be nothing, I will not have lost much time. But better to know that now, rather than have to chase them down later. I alter course towards the vehicles, looking to close the distance quickly, the autocannon at the ready.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 Read a Sitch = (4+4)+1 = 9
• Which enemy is the biggest threat?

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Feb 1, 2018 around 02:52

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


Clearly these are two factions of Revenants, and the ones in the garish vehicles are most likely raiders of some kind. The convoy isn't much a threat to me on its own, and may well count it lucky to lose only the one cargo-carrier in exchange for the elimination of their persecutors.

The distraction of the new arrival provides an opportunity to achieve that to good to ignore. As they turn to consider it, I bring the Heracles to full combat power and level my autocannon. As I lay down fire, I maneuver closer to the target carrier. I need it intact, so best to keep the enemy away from it. Then I can take control of it for myself.

[i]@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+3 Charge up suit = (5+5)+3 = 13
@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+2 = (3+1)+2 = 6 Seize the MacGuffin by force (6-harm far area messy)
Choosing: • You take definite and undeniable control of it.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Feb 9, 2018 around 16:01

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


The Revenant's last ditch assault blasts my eardrums for a moment before the fuzz of noise dampening systems descends to protect me, intertwining with the whine of the reactor and prickling not-noise of the rig. No, not a Revenant - a dark elf of unexpected strength. Had I realized his power I would have targeted him first. The psi-rig protects me against his magic, but it's a massive strain on the jack's power plant. Only those born beneath the cursed sky can access such powers naturally - mediating them through artifice is an art OLYMPOS still struggles with. At least the dampening shield is holding.

This is when the jack feels most isolating and restrictive, when systems override the feeds from the outside world and force you to confront that you're inside a cramped metal shell with alarms blaring inside of it. Maybe it's the reactor struggling to keep up, or just my imagination, but moving the Heracles' limbs suddenly feels less like moving a part of me than fighting against the controls of a machine.

But I'm trained for this. The unexpected, the chaos. To keep moving and fighting. With whatever I can put my hands on. I reach out and grab a piece of debris from the battle, a portion of some vehicle destroyed in the clash, heft it, and hurl it at the SVARTALFAR.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 AUF to chuck debris at Axecutioner = (5+3)+1 = 9

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Feb 12, 2018 around 16:32

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


The tone indicating no known threats on scope sounds, and the outside world slowly fades back in. I keep my weapon up for a moment as I scan to be sure. When nothing new jumps out to challenge me, I turn my attention back to IFF.

The damage the Heracles took will slow me, make it harder to reach my objective. This had better be worth it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I whirl on the target, the targeting icon for the cannon swinging across the screens as it comes up, finally flashing yellow as it lines up on the threat. The ammo counter is in the corner of my eye, though, and it's dropped precipitously.

I key the external speakers, max volume. "Back off," I tell the figure, gun still leveled. Like as not it's a scavenger claiming a prize. And I have the range if they keep coming. Best to conserve ammo if I can.

Go Aggro (+Hard): 2d6+2 8

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I keep my weapon pointed towards the Revenant, but relax a bit. "My mission takes me elsewhere," I reply. "I tarry here only for the moment." I consider, then gesture towards the axe. "Keep it."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


"I have no idea what you're talking about." I pause, then gesture with the cannon. "I have what I came here for. I have no quarrel with you. Let us go our separate ways."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


Figuring out what to do with this thing is going to take time. Time I don't have right now. I attach it to my jack for now, and get moving again. Slower. But moving.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I wince and reach over, turning the volume dial down to a more acceptable level. This is clearly where I need to be. However they've managed it, this must be the source of the signal. I just need to figure out how to shut it down. The direct approach might work, but I need to be sure.

It's possible NJORD is nearby as well. I'll have to keep an eye for her. I hold back for now, in a sheltered spot, as I scan the structure.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 Read a Sitch = (4+3)+1 = 8
• What should I be on the lookout for?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


The place is a bomb. Of course, that will make it easier to remove in the end, but it poses a significant hazard in the meantime. If NJORD is here, a hard entry would be ill advised. So I will try something different.

I back off a bit, making my way to a ruined structure nearby, one difficult to see into until you're right on top of it, and even better not easily reached with a vehicle. A vehicle that isn't a jack, in any case. A hardened hanger, perhaps, or old munitions bunke. Long empty, until I place the THRONE OF WANT inside and pull the door partially closed. It should keep for now.

I make my way back towards the Works, approaching the main gate openly. "Hail the gate" I call as I come near.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


The signal coming off the antenna makes me uneasy - nothing down here should be putting off BIFROST frequencies. I instruct the AI to isolate it, so I can compare it to the true signal - is it merely echoing, or is it propagating a message of its own?

While it works I follow the marshal's directions, but take my time approaching the depot so I can take in my surroundings. I have good evidence that someone from OLYMPOS was here now, between the strange signal and the reaction of the people to my suit. I keep an eye out for direct evidence of NJORD - our tech or equipment should stand out. I doubt I should be so lucky as to spy them or their jack.

Mostly, though, I'm looking for an authority, someone who should know the comings and goings of this place, so that I can ask after my comrade directly.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


For a moment I can't respond. For this woman to say that, NJORD must have made an alliance with the leaders of this place. And for command to have sent me, with the orders I have, means they do not know. NJORD has abandoned the mission, the cause.

I stop and take a breath. Maybe there is some other answer here, besides the unthinkable. An emergency or an opportunity that required immediate and drastic action. Whatever is going on, I must get to the bottom of it.

I key the external speakers. "You have mistaken me for my Brother-Knight, who sent word to join them here. I am SKADI; do you know when they might return, or where I might meet them?" Hopefully I can reach NJORD before word of my coming. That is the likeliest way to learn the truth of the matter.

Act Under Fire @SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 = (3+1)+1 = 5

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at May 27, 2018 around 22:31

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


"I will have answers, whether you welcome me or no," I tell the woman, and turn back towards the yard. If she knows of NJORD, then others will as well. I will find them - or they will find me. I move back out into the traffic, looking for anyone who seems particularly interested in my jack.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I had expected the mission to be clear, to be clean. To know who my enemies were, and how to strike at them. Part of me wishes to pretend its so, and break down the gate the de Machina woman is guarding. But what I need here are answers, and bringing fire and sword to this place is not going to give me them. Even if it would be satisfying.

The warriors draw my eye first, but is the ragged figure that draws me attention. I am not entirely sure why. But their interest seems something more than simple curiosity. There is no point in pretending subtlety, so I turn and make for them.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


"I believe you know that will not avail you against me," I tell the woman. "I am SKADI, a Valkyrie of Olympos, and I have questions you may well be able to answer. Let us speak instead of continuing this pointless pursuit."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


A warded seal? Here? Who is this woman? I key in the runes as I speak them. "63452628001."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I follow the woman to her vehicle, a utility walker, of a design I recognize as belonging to our blessed forebearers. This one has obviously been cared for by dedicated and knowledgeable hands, but it is worn, heavily modified, festooned with utilitarian additions for travel in this waste. I crouch my jack beside it; the appearance is quite a contrast.

"I have told you my name and my fealty. Who is it speak to? How is that you know of OLYMPOS, and how did you come to possess a sealed ward? And do you have news of my brother-knight, NJORD?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


"Well met, 142," I tell the woman. "I would know more of Folly, but I have been tasked with a mission to discover the fate of my brother-knight. And what I have heard of his fate I mislike. And this transmitter is a blasphemous mockery of our protocols, one I intend to see silenced. Show me these secret ways. The sooner begun, the sooner finished, and then I can see what might be done to aid the Folly-folk and further Reclamation."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


"I have a sidearm," I tell 142, keeping the trepidation from my voice. Our briefings repeatedly warned of the dangers of leaving our jacks and exposing ourselves to the tainted energy infusing the world. But I am a Valkyrie. My mission requires I take this risk, and so I shall.

But not without precautions. I key in the commands that will tell the AI to protect itself if the jack is interfered with, then pull open the survival locker. I strap on a carry harness over my flight suit, and attach the holster for my sidearm as well as the pouches for extra magazines. I insert a mag into the pistol, make sure the red dot is showing, and holster it. Then I pull the helmet on. It's not rated for ballistics and the air-filtration is limited, but it's better than nothing.

And then it's time. I take a deep breath, and hit the hatch release.


@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 Ψ-harm from exiting walking suit = (5+1)+1 = 7

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


The Scream Tank was no preparation at all for this. That was sharp, immediate. This... I feel the skin crawling on my back, like I'm constantly being watched. That would be bad enough, but I also want to look up. When I first landed it was disorienting to have nothing above me. Now I fully understand the ancient texts that spoke of the sky as if it was more than simply open space, as a tangible thing - and it feels like it's about to fall on my head. It's a distraction I do not need. I need to focus on my mission. I am a valkyrie.

I accept the rifle from 142. It's a model I recognize from the manuals - or at least, close enough to one. The controls are simple enough, though it feels a bit clumsy in my hands. I sling it for now. At her signed question, I pat my hand down. Quiet. For now.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jul 12, 2018 around 03:01

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●○» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I nod to 142, taking a moment to watch the movements of the roughboiz. When a likely moment comes, I move forward quickly in a crouch, pistol in hand. There's an alcove part way down I should be able to use for cover before moving to the door itself.

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 Act Under Fire = (5+1)+1 = 7

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●●●●●» | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I pick myself up carefully, keeping my eyes on NJORD. "That depends on what those actions are. The transmitter broadcasts on the sacred frequencies, mirrors the the recognition signals of the chosen. Why?"

@SKADI (Gorbash): 2d6+1 read a person = (5+4)+1 = 10

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» 1-advance | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


NJORD sneered at me. "Sacred channels? Ah, they've trained you well. They broadcast that way because those frequencies are the clearest from interference. And my support satellite is required if these fools are to do our work for us."

I flick my eyes to the bandits standing to either side of him, trying to judge how willing they are to follow him. But what he's saying... "What is it you intend?"

"This collection of hovels has several SVARTALFAR of Class-3 or higher. When they pit their might against each other in this... Rokoff, the modifications I've made to the tower and my satellite will amplify their power to the overload point. It will be functionally an anti-EOS strike powerful enough to cleanse the entire wretched valley." I notice that NJORD is wearing some sort of odd technological device on his head instead of a helmet. It looks like a prototype of some sort, all wires and blinking lights.

"Unsurprisingly ambitious." That someone from UpLev would treat the population here as a hindrance, and act so ruthlessly in the name of expedience, really is no surprise. But however flawed I find NJORD's reasoning, I cannot dismiss his conclusion out of hand. The holy task, the great work of Reclamation is more important than my own life, let alone that of Revenents that have likely been tainted by the profaned earth and cursed sky. The purity of vacuum protected OLYMPOS; our hope was that this would allow us to save those below as well. But we always knew the line between salvation and destruction was a thin one.

But that such hard measures can be justified does not mean I am entirely sure of NJORD's judgement. It is easy to mistake the Revenants for ignorant fools. A mistake as deadly as it is easy. "And all it requires is putting yourself and the Relics you wield into the hands of these Revenants," I reply, not able to keep the acid entirely out of my tone.

"Please. I showed them a few paltry parlor tricks and they follow me about like lost simpets. I tell them I can 'make everything louder', and they leave me to do as I please. As compared to ASGARD's plot, where we throw the men and materiel we can ill-afford to lose into the meat grinder for hectares of land at a time."

His condescension matches my own derision. NJORD sees no danger, cannot see the possibility of danger here, nor that I might offer valuable counsel. He simply wants me out of the way, and the men behind him will back him at least in this moment.

I holster my weapon. "Let me see what you have prepared then." Perhaps his course is worth following. More likely, there is a trap here. Either way, I intend to be on hand to pick up the pieces.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 6:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» 1-advance | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I recognize some of the relics arrayed before us, but not all, and the configuration is bizarre. The Revenants have clearly turned these to their own purposes, used them to access the Anomaly that the science division and MOIRAI/NORN have puzzled over for years. The alert catches my attention. "The SVARTALFAR may not wait for your timeline, NJORD. A chancy plan with jury rigged equipment." I gesture for 142 to approach. "An ambitious plan. I hope better thought through than some of the others you've tried. There's no uplevel patrons to put things back together and pat you on the head for your out of the box thinking. This is the entire Operation potentially on the line."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 9:00 Food | Hunger ○○○ | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» 1-advance | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I stalk across the vehicle yard, my temper frayed at the edges. VALKYRIE are not mere foot-soldiers. We were chosen for our initiative and ability to improvise, to exploit unexpected opportunities and use every tool at our disposal, as much as combat prowess. And for the last few days I have been relegated to observing and critiquing NJORD's designs.

It would be easier if it was some other VALKYRIE, but NJORD is as he is, uplevel to the core, and jealous of his own 'genius' and the credit. And yet he may still be right, that this may accelerate Reclamation a hundredfold. I am caught between my moral certainty that this plan is destined for catastrophe, and the niggling worry I am letting personal animosity impede the progress of the Mission.

All of which has left me testy and short, even with 142, who has proven everything she claimed to be. That Folly was destroyed, mere weeks before Reclamation began, is harrowing. And, given what I have seen here, makes me wonder if it is mere chance. Regardless, the past cannot be rewoven, and 142's presence has kept me from completely losing my temper. Her insight into what passes for Revenant technology has been invaluable, as has her guidance in dealing with the less rational survivors.

Which is why I invited her along. I needed to get out of the Sanctum, to send a report and get some perspective. And I am considering telling her about the discovery I made, the Throne of Want, which I have withheld from NJORD. It may well be a Folly-relic.

The appearance of the Dox children means such plans will have to wait. Somehow, the fact that the Specialist is both still alive and has become the spiritual leader of the Dox fails to surprise me. A being from out of the heroic past, before the Fall of Earth and the corruption of the sky, who survived the rigors of cryo-sleep and possessed relics of technology even OLYMPOS had lost - surely the thread of her fate was deeply woven into the tapestry of history. NJORD thought the same of himself, but the comparison does him no favors.

"Then show me to her," I tell the child. "The Einherjar and I have much to discuss."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Aug 29, 2018 around 14:10

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 9:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x o o o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I am reaching for my weapon when the Specialist appears. I let my hand rest on the grip but do not draw it, waiting to see if she has her flock in hand. "Zeal in the name of an honorable cause is commendable, but I care not for past grievances. Reclamation is at hand. My mission - our mission," I correct, looking to 142, "was handed down from the same authority that gave Specialist Lombardi her mission. The threads of our Fate are intertwined. Put her down and I will forget this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-2 | 0:00 Harm | 9:00 Food | Hunger o o o | 2-Armor | XP x o o o o » | 0-Barter
Power+3 Agility+2 Massive=2 | 0:00 Damage | 3:00 Charge | 9:00 Ammo


I whirl on the Specialist, furious at this violation of guest right, this failure of duty and stain upon my honor. 142 is under my protection, and Lombardi requested my presence here. For one of her vassals to lay hands on mine is a betrayal I did not expect and cannot condone. My hand is on my pistol as I whirl to face her - and then her words bring me to a stop.

I chastise myself - Lombardi is an honorable woman, and the actions of her follower stain her honor as much as mine. I should have known she could not tolerate such a thing, that she would be deeply embarrassed by the actions of Jax-Aimbot and would do everything in her power to set it right. To pronounce such a ban on one of her own is a sign of the respect she holds for me and for herself.

I push my weapon back into its holster, then give a shallow bow to my host. "I accept your apology, Specialist Lombardi, and that you have taken immediate action to rectify this offense. I am satisfied, and confident that this Jax-Aimbot will meet the fate she has brought down upon her." I walk over to check on 142, crouching beside Midwife until she assures me that the Folly-woman will recover, then return to Lombardi.

"Let us begin our council."

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply