Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.


Zero
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ○○○○○» | 2-Barter



That... Thing I saw last night was strange. It was covered in metal, like someone in armor, but it was too big to be a person. Too small to be a Destroyer, though. It was almost like a vehicle, but shaped like a human. And it was armed with one of the biggest guns I've ever seen.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I told Corvi about it anyway. It's her territory the thing was in, so it'll be her problem if she doesn't believe me. It ignored me last night, but that doesn't mean it's peaceful.

Now, though, we have something more pressing to worry about. Dakota and Attache are here with the goods, but they brought some extras. Not surprising, but it could be them plotting something rather than them being cautious.

I stride forward, rifle slung behind my left shoulder, grenade launcher hanging at my right side. I'm reminded that I need a new sidearm; that'll be the first thing I look into when I'm back at the Works or Stockards. I pull my voice out of my belt, pressing it to my neck. "Mission accomplished," I say, glancing over the group, trying to read their expressions and postures, gauging if they're here to fight or not. "Worried about something? You brought company." I keep an eye out behind my mask, watching for them to do anything suspicious. There's quite a few extras here; they outnumber Corvi and me by over four to one. Not great odds.

If they do intend to double-cross us, they should have brought more men.

Zero (Roland Jones) - Today at 6:12 PM
/r 2d6+1 #Read a person
SidekickBOT - Today at 6:12 PM
@Zero (Roland Jones): 2d6+1 Read a person = (4+5)+1 = 10

Holding three, spending one to ask, "What does Dakota intend to do?"


quote:

The Gunlugger

Look: Concealed, scrounged mismatched armor, scarred face, cunning eyes, hard body

Stats:
Cool +1
Hard +3
Hot -1
Sharp +1
Weird +0

Moves:
gently caress this poo poo: Name your escape route and roll+hard. On a 10+, sweet, you’re gone. On a 7–9, you can go or stay, but if you go it costs you: leave something behind, or take something with you, the MC will tell you what. On a miss, you’re caught vulnerable, half in and half out.

Insano like Drano: You get +1hard (hard+3).

NOT TO BE hosed WITH: In battle, you count as a small gang, with harm and armor according to your gear.

Gear:
  • grenade launcher (4-harm close area messy ap)
  • sniper rifle (3-harm far loud ap)
  • ap ammo (ap) Add ap to all your guns.
  • big-rear end knife (2-harm hand)
  • scrounged coat, mask, and kevlar (2-armor)
  • handheld artificial voice box
  • oddments worth 2-barter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.


Zero
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ○○○○○» | 2-Barter


I nod at Dakota's words. "A pleasure doing business with you, then," I say. "Is there anything else you need, or is that it for now?" If I'm going to be going to the Stockards Inner Market, I could use some more jingle; I doubt the things worth buying there will be cheap. Besides, Dakota seems to have a talent for getting into trouble.

Spending another hold to ask "What does Dakota wish I'd do?" because I have the hold and don't know what to do with it anyway.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.


Zero
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


I catch Dakota's wink. About what I thought; they aren't the type to enjoy being leashed like this. Which is, of course, why they were put on a leash in the first place. But that's not my concern.

Keeping my head still and letting my mask hide my eyes, I glance left and right, looking over the ruffbois again. Most aren't near the truck, which is good; if I'm going to act here I'm using my grenade launcher, and I'd rather not blow up my client or payment (or Corvi) here. There are two there who will still have to be dealt with, but that likely won't be a problem; Dakota signalling to me should mean that they are going to react if I do what they want, or at least Corvi should catch on fast and deal with them. Hopefully.

I briefly wonder if dealing with them will be worth the trouble; these are apparently Dragon's subordinate's men, not Dragon's own, but this could still come around. On the other hand, I doubt Dakota or Attache would rat me out here, since they'd implicate themselves, and Corvi wouldn't have much to gain either. She's not much one for civilization anyway.

As I grab the launcher hang at my side and fire into the most closely-grouped ruffbois that aren't at the truck, the "fwoomp" of the grenade leaving the barrel followed shortly by the noise of it exploding, I again remember how I need a new sidearm, because situations like this are exactly where this thing is not the ideal weapon. I suppose I can take something off their bodies when I'm done.

I pump the gun and fire at another bunch. Dakota better make this worth my while; they know I don't work for free. If they try to rip me off, I may blow up the truck next.

@Zero (Roland Jones): 2d6+3 Single combatSeize by force (the ruffbois' lives) = (1+5)+3 = 9
I choose to inflict terrible harm and take undeniable control of it. 5-harm, AP, total. Marking XP for rolling Hard.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.


Zero
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


Catching the keys, I give Dakota and Corvi a thumbs up, both of my hands too occupied to speak between the keys and my gun. More than satisfactory payment; I've been down a working vehicle since I collected Char's head, and even if Dakota's truck turns out to be a piece of junk it'll use less gas than the RV would if it were repaired. Nothing compared to my old Pursuit, but it'll do; even if it breaks down tomorrow, it can be salvaged for parts towards that goal and to barter, so it was well worth the two grenades.

While I wait for the others to finish what they're doing and get off of my new truck, I pocket the keys and walk over to what's left of Terricloth's ruffbois. As long as I'm replacing things I have a habit of... Losing, I may as well see if I can scavenge a sidearm or two off of them. They were armed for poo poo, but even a 9mm would be acceptable. I just need a gun I can fire indoors without bringing the roof down on top of me. Anything fancier, I'll need to look somewhere other than the smoking remains of people who get jobs like watching an old coot like Dakota.

Which, I do have that token for access to the inner markets at Stockards now. I'll need to get some more jingle first, but I wouldn't mind seeing what kind of heat Dragon's halls have to offer.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.


Zero
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


Not looking up from the ruffboi chunks I'm searching for goods, I chime in. "I can help there." I don't have any particular work at the moment, and Woodhold's as good a place to look as any. Besides, I'm also curious about that thing; it wasn't like anything else I've seen before. I have a feeling that, whatever it is, it's going to cause a commotion if or when it makes its way to one of the settlements. It's been a while since there was real chaos here in the valley, so we're due for some trouble.

Finding a couple of intact pistols, I wipe them off with my coat, then stick one in my belt. Standing up, I hold the other one out to Corvi as I walk over. I don't know if she's a gun person, but I figure if we're going to be hunting together a while longer, I may as well offer.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.



Cool +1 | Hard +3 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird 0
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


I am going to rip Dakota's head off.

I bring the junkwagon to an abrupt stop; the ride had been smooth up to this point, or at least as smooth as riding in this terrain in a truck like this could be, but this warranted immediate attention. I lean down to look at the radio, taking a few seconds to respond to Corvi as my left hand rummages around in my coat for my voice, my right checking for a way of talking back to the woman on the other end. Terricloth, presumably. "Looks like it," I reply, taking the handset and holding it up to her, before looking under the dash to see if the bomb the woman hinted at is there. "We killed her men, so she might trigger the bomb if we tell her what happened as revenge" I say, opening the door so I can check under the truck next, before pausing; if she can monitor how heavy the truck's load is, she might take it suddenly getting lighter as Dakota and Attache trying to flee and set it off anyway. "She'll also set it off if we don't do something, though," I continue, leaning back into my seat and thinking.

Given how she chooses to live, Corvi might not be any better with people than I am, thinking about it. But at least her voice is obviously neither Dakota's, nor something Dakota could fake; if I replied, the woman might think I'm just Dakota talking through a piece of tech or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.



Cool +1 | Hard +3 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird 0
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


Well, that's a start. Those wires probably lead to either the bomb or some other bit of tech that was set up here, like whatever she's monitoring the truck's weight with. That's something. Though unless I can do something about it, all it tells me is that we might be sitting right on top of the bomb, without even the base of the car between us and it to weaken the blast. Which is not ideal.

While Corvi speaks with the woman, I continue looking, and thinking, in case the lie doesn't work or the woman on the other end decides to be vindictive. A plan forming, I open up the junkwagon's back window, leaning out and taking my clutchplate from the back without leaving the truck and changing the weight in it, setting it up in the front with me instead. Then, closing the window behind me, I start driving again, even though the woman hasn't given us a destination yet. We may get one soon, but if not, well, I'd like a bit of speed for what will probably happen next.

Read a sitch = (3+4)+1 = 8. Not sure what to ask, so I'll go with, "What is my enemy's true position?"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.



Cool +1 | Hard +3 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird 0
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●○○○○» | 2-Barter


I give Corvi a thumbs up as she leaves, before turning my attention back to the truck. From what I saw while driving, the bomb might not be in here that tight; lifting up the seat, I take a closer look at it to see just how easy it will be to get out. With Corvi in there talking to her, the woman from the radio probably won't set it off, so I have a window to get it out. And then throw it through her window, perhaps. I'll have to think about it. A bomb could be useful to have, but not one where I'm not the person who decides when it explodes.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.



Cool +1 | Hard +3 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird 0
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 2-Barter


Hrm. Almost so easy. Almost.

I could just rip it out the rest of the way and throw it through a window or something. It'd definitely make me feel better. But, Corvi's still in there. I doubt she'd appreciate me making things difficult for her, even if she'd probably be able to handle herself in the ensuing chaos. She's a business relationship I'd like to preserve for now, if possible.

So, I have time to try to figure this out while I wait for her. I don't know exactly how this works, and the wires are a tangled mess, but they're colored. Whether or not the colors mean anything, I don't know, but I see what's connected to what without having to untangle that knot. Also, while I don't know what some of these mechanisms are, I can probably figure out what they're not by looking at them. With that, I think can figure out what I need to remove.

Probably. If it does blow up... Well, that wouldn't be ideal.

The radio keeps running as I try to figure this out, and an interesting message from Armstrong plays. People are after Swap Ash Radio? That's strange, but it's also an opportunity; I needed some new work. I'll have to head down there sometime, see what they're offering.

Probably avoid mentioning that I plan to kill their number-one donor. They don't need to know that.

2d6+2 Act Under Fire = (6+5)+2 = 13
Full success, +1 XP for rolling Cool.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at Jan 20, 2018 around 05:26

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.



Cool +1 | Hard +3 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird 0
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●●○○○» | 1-Barter


I'm already expecting and preparing to have to slam the Deetwenti's head into the Junkwagon to make a point when a bullet hollows him out instead. Immediately, I drop behind the vehicle, putting it between me and where the bullets are coming from. poo poo, that was fast; if I had gotten here any later I would have probably been attacked on the way.

Staying behind the Junkwagon for cover, I look up at the driver's side mirror, moving the open door to pan the view around, then glance towards the treeline by looking under the truck instead of over it, trying to get a view of where exactly the attackers are without sticking my head out and meeting the same fate as my friend over there. It's not the best view, but it's better than getting shot at before I know where to shoot back. I also take a look towards Swamp Ash Radio and where all the others are being shot at, looking for the clearest route in; the bunker's a better source of protection for a gunfight than Dakota's lovely old truck.

2d6+1 Read a sitch = (6+3)+1 = 10. Questions:
  • What's my enemy's true position?
  • Where's my best way into the bunker?
  • What should I be on the lookout for?
Spending 1 Barter on lifestyle, have 1 remaining.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at Jan 27, 2018 around 14:09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011
As a white American, it is my civic duty to kill my racist father, mother and any other family members, including myself.
That way people of color can finally be safe from white people.



Cool +1 | Hard +3 | Hot -1 | Sharp +1 | Weird 0
0:00 | 2-Armor | XP ●●●○○» | 1-Barter


Incendiary ammo. A lot of incendiary ammo. Whoever is launching this attack is both well-equipped, and really, really wants to take this place; that's a lot of rare ammunition they're using here. I'd wonder why, but that's not important right now.

I reach into the Junkwagon and put it in neutral, then start rolling it forward as I move closer to the bunker; it's going to get shot to hell and back, but better it than me. As I move, I try to get the attention of my fellow mercs to get the ones still capable of moving to join me so fewer of them get shot and they can help me move this faster. Fewer heads would mean the spoils get split fewer ways, but no one gets paid if we fail, and even the Deetwenti idiots can shoot a gun. Or at least distract the attackers for a moment.

As I move, I realize that I'm currently doing the job I came here for for free, since the attackers arrived before I could work out a deal. Frustrating. I'm not going to let myself get shot out of spite though; I'll have to work something out with Armstrong when this is over.

Act Under Fire, +1 for acting on Read a Sitch answer = (6+1)+2 = 9
Marking XP for rolling +Cool.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply