Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome

Cool 0 | Hard +1 | Hot +2 | Sharp +1 | Weird -1
Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | 1-Armor | 2-Barter

Shade's an interesting customer. The impression I get is that she's holed up in some think-tank somewhere out in the wastes, something top-secret enough that she won't even give me a name; maybe it's just the fact that she always seems to have books on her, old books, not rotted out. You have to store that stuff somewhere, right? I remember from the old days -- most of it rots, especially the paper. The Bunker was a stroke of luck; usually, everything falls apart. Wonder where Shade keeps it all, and who's feeding her what she feeds me?

Right now, though, we've got a fight on our hands, maybe? That's not that unusual -- scrap crews are always looking for an excuse when they're somewhere they know they can make a little noise -- but it's not always easy to tell whether it's the usual tension-relief or a real fight. "Gimme a sec to check, Goldie," I say, giving it all a quick glance. Truth be told, I'd rather her not risk her neck for guys like this... but if it's just a play-scrap, she can hold her own.

Read The Sitch: 2d6+1 9
What should I be on the lookout for?
Marking XP for Sharp highlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1/5 | 1-Armor | 1-Barter

poo poo. I try not to make any obvious moves. "Goldie, watch Tazerface back there. He's palming something, and my bet is he's gonna escalate. If you want in, I can't stop you, but watch his rear end."

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at Dec 7, 2017 around 06:48

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Goldie's right. I'm in charge here, whatever exactly that means, and... maybe I need to act like it, for once. I'm not soft. I've done my time. And it's time to show it, if these scrappers have a problem.

I step forward to Goldie. "Miss Goldie's right. Rest of you can scrap if you like, but you bring weapons in, start cutting and shooting? You're out. Privileges suspended. We don't want that to happen, so don't let your worst elements ruin it for you, all right?" I lean down to pick up whatever it was that Tazerface was carrying and give it a look-over, just in case there are any nasty surprises "'course, if any of you know why it is that your colleague decided to bring... whatever this is... to a fistfight, I recommend you take that up with your employers."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"You're cool with me. You guys have anything else to settle, that's on your time. Anyone care to explain this, or is this Tazerface's piece?" I don't quite know enough weapon tech to have any idea what this thing is, but warmth without a source is an interesting problem. If Two-Ton's folk don't claim it, maybe I can pawn it to someone down the line. If they do... well, more sign I'm playing fair and clean with them, right?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

poo poo. poo poo. I was worried it was going to be something like that, some oldtech thing that's now a deathtrap, and I just nod to Shade as I hustle back inside the Bunker, hoping she follows me. There's a heavy box inside one of the store rooms that I think is lead-lined, and I beeline there and shove it inside as soon as I can manage, latching it behind me. "Guess I gotta throw that out in the wastes somewhere next time I'm out." I glance back to Shade, realizing I may be talking to myself, but continue as long as she's there. "Okay, talk to me. Please?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wish I could say that this was a shock, but... well, okay, it is a shock. Crompton rolling back up isn't any big surprise, but rolling up with a bunch of well-armed cavemen? Great. Fantastic. And here I'd hoped to spend the day figuring out how I'm paying next month's fuel bill. Didn't think it was going to be too hard, but...

"Okay," I say. "poo poo. Okay. What I'm getting here is that we're talking about people with oldtech who want to burn everything down? Crompton always wanted to take this place for himself -- you think he's gonna settle for razing it instead, or are his buddies planning to deliver it as long as he keeps it all hunter-gather? ... Not sure it matters. Either way, we need heavy artillery." Which means we need pay for heavy artillery. The level we need aren't going to be satisfied with safe lodgings, I'm guessing -- well, okay, you never know, but I have to prepare for the worst.

"May as well ask. You have a line on good mercs, Shade? Or is this going to be up to me?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

This whole thing has me hesitant, and I take the card. I don't like getting involved in faction stuff, but if it's a faction who's trying to actively wipe civilization out, I may already have chosen a side just by trying to keep this place up and running. "How much time you figure we have? I can work some contacts, if we've got the time, but if not... well, we'll be calling this in, hopefully nip things in the bud. Thanks, Shade --"

And there's Goldie, like clockwork. "-- and now I should get back to the air." Before I stand up to get back to the station, I run a hand through my hair, even though there's no need; just old reflex, I guess.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Thanks. I appreciate it. ... You stay safe too. World needs whatever it can get of the people who know their poo poo." I nod to her, then start heading back to the DJ booth. I've got work to do.

There are people I need to call, first and foremost. Maybe that operator Zero would be worth asking, if I can get the word out -- when you need reliable violence, Zero's one of the first names, and a lot of people's last. Solid operator. Few others, too, and Zero might know them... of course, there's also the wisdom of the crowds, and their momentum. The more I think about it, the more it seems stupid to keep quiet. Why not see if I can rouse the listeners a little, see who really cares?

"Good afternoon, friends," I say as my track fades out. "This is Armstrong coming to you live from Swamp Ash Radio, and it's another beautiful day out in the marshes, depending on your definition of 'beautiful.' Everyone's different, the whole big tapestry... except for a certain class of fucker who don't seem to include the continued existence of this radio station in their vision of a perfect world. Are they desperate fuckers? Stupid fuckers? Fuckers who just hate music? I don't know, friends, and I'd rather not find out. All I want it to keep the tunes flowing for you, give you something to look forward to, something to discover. Something to dance to. Your old buddy Armstrong's gonna need a little hand, though..."

Using Rally to the Cause to speak in favor of the radio station's continued existence:
Rally to the Cause (preserve the radio): 1d10+2 11
Holding 2 for future use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Harm: 0:00 | XP: 1+1/5 | 1-Armor | 1-Barter | Rally to the Cause: 1 hold remaining

Okay, okay. Maybe we're all going to live through this. I've got maintenance costs coming up -- going to have to shake some of these do-gooders down for jingle for generator upkeep -- but we're getting through. For now.

It is not good to be the boss. But, for now, it's okay.

End of session stuff:

Zero, go ahead and take +1 Hx -- catching Armstrong on the radio be a little on edge was probably a novel experience.

Spending 1 hold on Rally to the Cause to get some barter for lifestyle/station upkeep.

Start of next session, to get the bookkeeping out of the way:

Spending 1 barter on lifestyle, plus 1 barter on station upkeep. This will leave me with 1 or 0, depending on how the Rally fundraising went.

Rolled an 8 on Discord for Breaking Now, so two questions. Let's catch up with my informants! Where are Thornboy and Tarpaulin, and what have they been up to? Will also mark XP for rolling Sharp, unless we change highlights before then.