Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Vaya the Hardholder
Cool-1| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0
Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 0/5 | 2 barter (3 from Wealth, -1 for lifestyle)

I have my eyes closed as I listen to the people coming and going from the market. I hear them shout and debate and haggle and discuss and call each other crooks and fuckers and even worse. There's surprisingly little animosity in it, considering the kind of insults that get thrown around. It's just what you do in the market; it's part of the game.

Of course it can't last. I can hear the uneven steps of people approaching, and I get that gut-feel that there's going to be trouble. I discard the gator tail (it was still warm, drat it) and cross my arms as they barrel in my shack. "Nitro, Broad. What is it?"

My bois are trained to handle everyday threats, but this doesn't sound everyday. Luckily I already have my padded vest on. I grab my shotgun and ensure it's loaded as I bark orders. "Broadside, hand this guy to Tape, tell him to fix him up, then pull about half the guards from the northern border and bring 'em south. Nitro, make way." One quick pat at the hilt of my machete to make sure it's in its place and I'm ready. "Show me where you found him."

As we race out of my shack, my mind races too, wondering what we could be up against. If that Crompton guy managed to take down the radio, he must have a lot more firepower than I thought. And thw radio tower's way too close for comfort. poo poo. Let's hope this death stomper isn't with him. I don't want a war on my hands.

quote:

Woman, casual wear, scarred face, sharp eyes, wiry body

*Cool-1 Hard+2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird=0

*Leadership: when you have to order your gang to advance, regroup, hold position, hold discipline, or put their drat backs into it, roll+hard. On a hit, they do it. On a 10+, they snap to; take +1forward. On a miss, they do it, but you’ll hear about it later.

*Wealth: If your hold is secure and your rule unchallenged, at the beginning of the session, roll+hard. On a 10+, you have surplus at hand and available for the needs of the session. On a 7–9, you have surplus, but choose 1 want. On a miss, or if your hold is compromised or your rule contested, your hold is in want. e precise values of your surplus and want depend on your holding, as follows.

*Holding: Waterway is a trading community situated north of the Twins, the two connected rivers near the Murk. They trade with Woodhold, the Works and the Last Fleet, and their market is always bustling with people, at all hours of day and night. Vaya enforces a strict "sheathed weapons" policy on market grounds, to ensure that no one is at risk of getting shot or stabbed in the middle of it. As thickly populated as this place is, it's the least to ensure safety.

Features:
Large population: around 200 permanent residents, with anywhere between 20 and 60 travellers at any given time. +1 barter, want:disease
Bustling market: Waterway's market is its main source of wealth. Woodhold trades wood and game, the swamp-folk trade herbs and more game, the Last Fleet gangs trade scavenged weapons and scrap, and enterprising people from the Works come to trade fuel at a mark up.
Disciplined enforcers: Vaya only allows people she can trust to join her gang. Psychotic fuckclowns need not apply, and they can expect to be watched for the duration of their stay in Waterway. Her gang loses unruly.
Lots of enforcers: Good pay and the privilege of keeping their weapons ready everywhere in the hardhold means she gets plenty of volunteers, though. She needs them to protect such a large population. Her gang is large instead of medium.

Mostly tents and wooden walls: It's hard to build anything on the swampy terrain around the Murk. Vaya's gang doesn't get any bonus defending the compound.
A truly horrendous garage: Similarly, it's hard to properly store vehicles, not to mention that not everything can navigate the swamp. Waterway only has about 4 vehicles, and only two of them are any good in a battle. Actually, not only did Vaya heroically get her hands on a decent death stomper, but she and her bois have been hard at work trading for and scrapping together cars, jeeps and even a motorboat for traversing the wettest parts of the Murk. Her garage sports 4 utility vehicles and 4 battle vehicles.

Waterway:
Gigs: Hunting, scavenging and sustenance farming; market. +3 barter. Want: hungry, disease, strangers.
Vaya's enforcers: 2-harm gang large 1-armor.

*Hx: Yx+3, Scarlet +2, everyone else +1

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 1/5 | 2 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)

I'm low on the ground as we climb the hill, and I hiss a litany of swear words as I see the... thing. It's not the worst thing that could have been coming for us, but it misses the mark by an hair. Those legs are just about the perfect thing to navigate the Murk. I look down on my shotgun, which I can tell it's going to do precisely gently caress all. I consider asking my gang jokingly if any of them have a grenade I can borrow, but honestly, they seem shaken enough already.

I look at Waterway in the distance, all colorful tents and a pathetic wooden fence as its defense, which doesn't even reliably keep the marsh foxes out. I look at that its weapons, clearly cobbled together but still plenty nasty. gently caress's sake, it's got a flamethrower.

"Bois, stay here and hold your fire. If what I try doesn't work, keep this thing busy until the rest of the troops arrive. Don't follow me."

Without giving any of them the time to protest, I make my way down the hill, fast but controlled. If I stumble or make a noise, that thing's gonna turn around and the little fucker in the turret's gonna tear me to shreds. Not to mention that I'll look like an idiot in front of the others.
Luckily the gunner is focused on Waterway, and doesn't notice me darting from one patch of relatively solid ground to another. Now that I'm close enough that that gun shouldn't be a problem, but the danger's far from over.

Whoever thought of wrapping barbed wire around the legs was one clever son of a bitch. I let my shotgun hang from its sling before taking a running start and jumping as high as I can onto the leg. My hands hold onto the leg joint of the stomper while my legs get tangled into the mess of wires. It rips my pants a bit and I can feel them nick my skin, but it's nothing serious. I just take my time disentangling myself and climbing up this thing. Luckily, it's full of handles and places to grip, so it's not that bad to get on top of this thing.

And there is Goggles, out of his post on the gun and with a knife in hand, ready to welcome me. I clamber on top and grip my shotgun. "Hey there, new guy. Let's you and me have a talk."

quote:

Rolled an 8 on reading a sitch, so I get 1 XP.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 24, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 2/5 | 3 barter

Greater Cromptonia? Really?
I steady myself as Iisten to Pinto ramble. Getting his hands on Swamp Radio must have gone to Crompton's head. I'm going to have to do something about that. An rear end in a top hat that sends armored vehicles without being provoked can't be allowed to set up shot this close to Waterway.

But for now I gotta deal with this Pinto asshat. I level my shotgun with his chest and cock it. "Uh-uh. Here's my counteroffer: you get whoever's piloting this thing to come out, or I blow a hole in your chest."

quote:

Got a 10+ on my Going Aggro roll. He either goes along with it or eats lead. This nets me 1 XP.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Pinto goes down with a strangled croak. I hear the thud of his body against the metal.
I don't have much time to worry about that because I need to hold onto for dear life as the stomper swivels about and tries to cook me. But the flamethrower is designed to shoot away from the mech, reasonably enough, and it can't quite bend enough to hit me. Good.

Leaning against the metal frame I shimmy around the machine, trying to find an entrance, a cockpit of some kind. My hands come into contact with some pull-bars. Must be where the pilot went in.

No visible hinges. gently caress. How the hell do you open this thing?

Well, there's gotta be a way to open it from the outside, or no one would have gotten into this deathtrap. I bang against the metal.

"Hey, you, in there! Listen up, fuckhead! My people are preparing our battle jeeps as we speak, and they're gonna crash 'em against this heap of junk of yours. If you manage to walk off from the crash, I have twelve people posted over that hill ready to fill your rear end with lead. You want a chance to walk away from this, you stop this thing and come out with your hands up!"

quote:

Rolled a 7 on my manipulate roll. Whoever's in there will want some concrete assurance, corroboration, or evidence 􀃫rst

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 30, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Well, I bought some time. It'll have to do.

I let go of the walker and land heavily onto the soggy ground. Before long I am sprinting towards Waterway, while the machine huddles away. I jump the fence and grab the first person I see by the shoulder.

"Hey! Get Ray and tell him Vaya needs Crosses ready by the south gate. Now!" He stands around, stunned, before I shake him again. "What's your damage? I said now! Move it!"
He finally recovers and runs towards the corner of the market our local mechhead sets up shop. I cock my shotgun and run to the south gate, rallying as many armed boys I can on the way.

----------------
Soon afterwards, we're on the south gate. Ray's at the wheel of Crosses, and I'm standing next to him, head poking in the in the car window, telling him my plan.

(No idea why he added all those crosses that give the car its name. It has something to do with that Dox thing he talks about once in a while.)

"Don't charge as soon as you see him. Let the motor roar a bit, make it clear that we mean business. I'll signal you when it's time to put the pedal on the metal. Be ready."

I can hear the stomping, approaching footsteps. It's coming.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter
machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| 1-armor

When you lead a group of people in a tense situation, it's important to keep your head clear. Adrenaline is good in a scrap but it can lead to rash decisions. Same goes for fear. I'm feeling the effects of both of them as I see the stomper approaching us. I can't help but tense up a bit when the flamethrower shoots. The heat is unnerving, even at this safe distance.

I laugh at his posturing. "Wow, Crompton basically sent you here to die, didn't he? Do you really think that thing you're into is going to survive a crash with Crosses here?" I pat the car, and Ray, who can read a cue, revvs the engine some more. "This is your last chance, future corpse. If you don't jump out of that thing and surrender, we're going to fish you out of the wreck of it, and if you're not dead, we're going to make you wish you were. Isn't that right, boiz?"

I wish I felt as confident as I'm posturing. I'm sure Crosses can do some serious damage, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough to crush this thing as completely as I'm saying it will. And if it doesn't, we have pretty much no way to crack open that thing. But a dubious leader is bad for morale, and we have the upper hand. No harm in a little bluffing.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 7, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I furrow my brow. I didn't see anyone come out. Where did the pilot go? Could it be remote controlled?

I allow myself a moment to consider the situation, then it's time to rally the troops. "Alright bois, good on you for keeping it frosty. Now, who's guarding the soutnern perimeter today?" An handful of people step up, amongst them Nitro and Broadside. "I want you keen now, you hear? Don't want Crompton's next move to trip us up. You see anything like that stomper there, you call me, you call reinforcements, right away. We didn't have to shoot this one down but we might have to in the future."

I then look through the windshield at Ray, who has killed the engine to save gas. Smart.

"Get Crosses back inside and then figure out how to operate that thing. We could use something with that much punch."

Once everyone's moving out to do what I tell them to, which is the only way you get anything done, really, I put the shotgun back in its holster and make my way to market. I'm deep in thought. As janky as it looked, there is no mistaking that that there's a war machine; one we can't defend ourselves easily from. What if Crompton could build more? He's a complete moron,but it doesn't take a lot of brains to point a gun at someone with the know-how and tell them to start building. Or to buy them from a third party?

Only one way to find out. I let my eyes unfocus, let my vision grow hazy. Gotta empty my mind enough that the Mother can enter, but leave enough of me that I can direct her power towards what I want to know. Come on, you old bitch. Where did Crompton get that stomper?

quote:

@Vaya (PXG): 2d6 Asking the storm about Crompton and his stompers = (1+4) = 5. Whelp

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 17, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I look up to see Damson. My throat is dry; my stomach feels like I swallowed a brick. Why her? Why, in all the goddamn people in this goddamn wasteland, did you have to show me her? loving Mother. If the whackjobs that worship you ever build a church, I'm going to take a poo poo in it.

For now, I gotta deal with this.. hallucination? It has to be an hallucination. It makes no sense that it'd be anything else. I wave my hand. "No, no, I'm fine, Damson. Just feeling a little light-headed. A drink of water and I'll be fine."

I look beyond her (not just because seeing her make the weight in my stomach that much heavier) and at Pinto. "So, uh, Pinto. Everything alright? Any... news?"

What the gently caress are you supposed to ask a shadow of a dead man?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Mother's mindfuckery comes in all shapes and sizes, but man, was I not expecting of having to hold a conversation with my estranged lover and a dude I just killed.

I take a sip of the canteen and shake my head at Pinto. "No, no. I'll deal with him myself. I don't need it, I just want to rent it."

The Stonechildren... those are those fucks who want to destry all tech, right? Nothing but banging two rocks together for these jokers. But wait... something isn't right. I mean, there's always something that's not right, what else is loving new, but this is more of a "this does not make sense" sort of right.

"Wait. Why would the Stonechildren know how to build death stompers? Isn't it kind of contrary to what they're all about?"

I pause for a moment at her question. "The boiz... need to keep their guard up. We're not at war just yet, but it might be coming sooner than I'd like. But don't spread any panic. That's only going to make things worse."

I'm tempted to pull this Damson in my arms, to feel her weight against it, to... no. I don't want to even think about it. This isn't the real Damson. This is some strand of psychic bullshit spinned out of my memories. But... I do allow myself to place an hand on her shoulder. That's enough, right?

"Damson... how bad is it going to get?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Okay. We've officially hit peak mindfuck.
The voice of this... thing, hallucination, whatever, feels like a slab of metal heated and poked straight into my brain. I shut my eyes tight, and cover my ears, because like hell I'm getting any more from this, but whatever, it'll have to do. It will put us on the right track, at least.

God why won't this thing loving shut up already?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The heat of that hallucination's hand dissipates slowly.

(It's important to remind yourself that it's all in your head. People forgetting which side of Mother's door they are on is how you get brainers.)

I blink as I slowly return to the real world. I grasp at Nitro's hand and stand up, nodding in thanks. "I'm fine, everybody." The look I give them is significant. Things aren't so bad that showing a bit of weakness in public is going to send the jackals nipping at my heels, but you never know. Someone might start getting ideas.

I take a look at that radio he's slinging. "Where'd you get that, Nitro?"

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 5, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

gently caress. More time has passed than I had expected. Gotta play it cool.

"Ah, you got it already? Good. I'm going to just borrow it for a sec, I'll give it back to him later, okay? You go have yourself a drink." I give him an appreciative nod as I pick up the radio. Then I turn to address the people surrounding me.

"Alright, bois! Good job keeping it frosty back there. Feel free to go back to whatever you were doing now." They nod, and break ranks to go back to their duties. See, this is why I don't take every drooling, bloodthirsty maniac in my gang. Much easier to keep under control. And a well-directed soldier with trigger control is worth three of those.

--------------------------

Back in my tent, I fiddle with the radio for a while. I tune it to the station that used to be Swamp Ash Radio. This thing probably doesn't have the same radius as that radio tower, but with some luck enough people will hear it that word of mouth will spread my word throughout the wastes.

"Attention, people. This is Vaya, leader of Waterway, speaking. I have a message for Crompton and anyone dumb enough to work for him. Give it up. You are not going to get your grubby little hands on Waterway. Anyone who shows up in my territory spouting some bullshit about Greater Cromptonia" I add a little chuckle here, just in case he starts thinking he's a threat in some way. "is going to end up face down in the swamp. Anyone who defects from that fucker and proves that they have the wits to make it to Waterway, you're gonna be under my protection. We can always use more people who know what they're doing."

"I also have a message for the Stonechildren. Yeah, I know it was you who got Crompton that walker, you little fuckheads. I'm keeping that one, by the way, just to teach you a lesson about messing with me. And if you don't stop supplying them to him, I'm going to purge your little creed from the wastelands.

Same offer applies to you, even though you clearly don't deserve it. Side with me, and you're gonna be fine. Side with Crompton, and you might as well go jump in the sea and get eaten by seawolves, 'cause they're gonna be more merciful than me."

I close the mic and pick up the radio. With a smile on my lips, I go search for Old Scratch, to give him his radio back.

quote:

I got a 6 on my Manipulate someone roll to get the Stonechildren off Crompton's payroll. Oof.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 9, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 0:00| 1-armor | XP: 4/5 | 3 barter

You know, for a minute there I thought it was time to relax. I mean, poo poo was probably going to go down in the next few days, but for now the crisis of the day was solved and I could stop feeling tense for a minute. Even the fact that Corgi had somehow managed to burn down his place didn't shake my good vibes, I just made a mental note to go check it out once I'm done with this. I should have known better.
"Hey, Scratch! I got your radio, thanks for-"

It's about then that he pulls the gun on me.

God drat it. He looks like he's about to break down. Men who're breaking down are dangerous, even with rusty guns.

"Scratch. C'mon now. I haven't been such a crappy leader that I deserve to get shot. What's the problem here? You aren't seriously worried about those cocksnots of Crompton's, are you?"

That's it. Just gotta buy some time before making my move...

quote:

Got a 10 on my Read A Sitch roll, and I ask: "What should I be on the lookout for?" "What's my enemy's true position?" and "Who's in control here?"
Also I get 1 XP for rolling Sharp

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 11, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 0/5 | 3 barter

There's a lot to take in.

There's the fact that Old Scratch seems pretty choked up about this.
There's the fact that we're just far enough that I'm not going to be able to get to him without him shooting me at least once.
..and then there's the little metal sound I'm hearing coming from Old Scratch's jacket. Now isn't that interesting.

Just what I needed. Enemies in my house, before I'm even finished dealing with the enemies trying to bite down my front gate.

I can't give him the time to steel himself, and adjust his aim enough to paint the door behind me with my brains. So I dash forward and wrestles his gun out of his grasp. An old man he might be, but an old man can still pull a trigger and the sound of the gun echoes in my skull. I hiss in pain as I wrench it out of his hands, the wet, warm, familiar sensation of blood dripping out of me letting me know that nothing important got holed. He looks at me as if I'm about to kill me. Hah. Nothing so easy.

I point the gun in the air. I try to sound genuinely scared when I say "Wait, don't...!" and shoot in the air. Let whoever is listening think that he finished the job. Then I point at the pocket where the metallic sounds is coming from with the still smoking gun. I raise my eyebrows and make a "Go on" sort of gesture. The message should be clear. Report to your bosses. Let them think that Vaya is dead, and that they can just swoop in and pick up the shards of her hard work. The looks on their faces is going to be so worth it.

quote:

Seize by force roll gave me a 7, and I choose to take little harm and take definitive hold of the gun. Also I got an advancement! I erase "lovely garage" from Waterway. Turns out that on top of the (almost) new stomper, Vaya and her bois have been working hard on trading for and cobbling together new vehicles, plus occasionally "acquiring" them from raiders and other assorted assholes.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 17, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 1/5 | 3 barter

Good question. He probably deserves it; he endangered the whole hardhold with his actions. He betrayed Waterway. He betrayed me. That stings more than the attempted plugging, honestly. I was good to this guy.

Which is why this just doesn't add up. What the hell do the Stonechasers have that could convince someone, especially someone with jingle and a roof and a loving working radio like Old Scratch to sell out?

"Depends" I say, before shooting him my best 'do not gently caress with me' glare. "What did they promise you for my head, Scratch? What made you think that this was going to be worth it?"

quote:

I got a 9 on my Read a Person roll. Whatever his answer is, I ask: Is your character telling the truth?
Also 1 XP for rolling Sharp.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I hate this. I hate this situation, I hate that this desperate man in desperate need of help listened to his desperation enough to cross me. He's dangerous. He just tried to kill me, he's been spying on us fo who knows how long. But I don't want to kill him. Isn't that enough? I'm the boss here after all. Isn't the fact that I want something enough for...

...No, it's not.

The sound of my shotgun echoes in Scratch's place. I get out. I'll send someone to clean him up later. I have defenses to prepare and a small army to get in position.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

They're nervous. Antsy. Can you blame them? Life's hard on a good day, and between a fire and a shooutout, this hasn't been a good day. Corgi was too much of a slime to be popular, but Old Scratch... he's been around a long while. It's a big shake-up. I can tell that they're thinking if one of them is going to be next.

I thumb the gizmo that Scratch was using to keep his masters informed, the one I pocketed. Is showing it to them going to make them panic? What's worse: knowing that you have had a traitor for a neighbor, or thinking that your leader is killing people randomly? When I put it like that, there is no contest. Plus, I have other things to worry about.

I pull out the machine and hold it high. "This is some sort of long-distance mini-radio. Old Scratch was using it to communicate with the Stonechildren, selling information to those fuckers. For that, I killed him. Now said fuckers are on their way here, since they think Scratch killed me instead."

I throw the gizmo to one of them. They can check it if they want. I cock my shotgun.

"They're in for a nasty surprise! Someone call up my bois and have them bring out the war-cars. Then get safe, people. We'll fix this."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 3/5 | 3 barter

I would never admit it to anyone with ears to hear it, not even if it would break the siege on the spot, but I feel scared, and I feel guilty.

Scared, because this is just about the worst thing that can happen to an hardhold that relies on commerce like Waterway. Yes, as Beanz said, we have plenty to spare, but two weeks, even a month can pass on quick if you don't get your poo poo together right away. And who knows how long we have until our next outbreak of tenchfoot? Folks packed together like this, it'll be a massacre.

Guilty, because, well. This attack had probably been in the works for a while now. You don't move this many people and good with a day or two of preparation. They probably were going to attack us anyway, wheter or not I provoked them. And yet...
And yet I wonder if this forced their hand. If maybe if I hadn't done that we would have had a day or two to prepare better for this.

I think back to the scouting run I did this morning, and I grip the table, even as I nod to Beanz. I saw Tootz's corpse. Crows got to her; took her eye.

If I find out which miserable stone-humping fucker did this they had better hope they die in the gunfire, because-

"Wait." I point to Scarlett. "I know that face. She's knocking on Mother's door. Keep your distance, everybody." I get closer to her, in case she starts thrashing about. It happens, occasionally.

quote:

I got a 7 on my Read a Sitch roll, and ask "What should I be on the lookout for?"
Also I get 2 XP: one for rolling Hard on Leadership, one for rolling Sharp on Read a Sitch

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It looks like Scarlet's got it under control for now, but I keep an eye on her. You never know what's going to happen with people in trance. Hopefully things don't get too awkward as everyone waits for her to finish what she's doing.

"Gonna have to tell her to not do this poo poo while we're in the middle of a war council..." I mumble, loud enough for everyone to hear.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I give Scarlet one of my looks. You know the ones I'm talking about.
"So, you wanna share what exactly this plan is before I go entrusting you with our precious explosives?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I tap my fingers on the table, thinking. It's... not a bad plan, all things considered. Sure, the bogs around here are death traps full of quicksand, crab-hounds and gators, but Scarlet's got the kind of reputation that makes me suspect she's not going to end up half-eaten in the muck while our explosives gather rust next to her corpse.

I take a look at the others, my war-council, my speakers-for. They're here to let me know what my folks need, what they want and what they're grumbling about. It'd be stupid to ignore their opinions.

"That tracks for me. I did a scouting run earlier today, and pooled what I heard with the rest of our scouts. They've got some powerful treads out there, but that's not going to help them if we strike from the wetlands. What'd the rest of you think?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I stand up. I stretch.
"Alright then. I'll go get the bois ready. Scarlet, go to the north gate; I'll send someone along with explosives. We'll wait for the kaboom before charging in."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I sharpened the machete. I cleaned and reloaded the shotgun. Now, to bring everyone up to speed.
Soldiers that don't know what they're doing or why they're doing it are mostly good at loving things up. Plus, it's good for morale.

"I've sent a gal by the name of Scarlet ahead. She's got some explosives on her, and when we hear the boom and those Stone idiots get busy dealing with that, we strike them from our side. That clear? Just wait for the signal."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 4/5 | 3 barter

Gotta appreciate the enthusiasm. But the sort of enthusiasm that makes you rush head first into danger is a bad habit. Let's kill this one in the crib.
"With me! Keep in formation! Keep in formation!" I shout as I jump the fence. The first fence-hoppers have the good sense to wait for the rest of us. Good. All that's left to do is close the gap between Waterway and the Stone people as a unified group.

quote:

Rolling Hard: 2d6+2 Leadership = (4+4)+2 = 10
Marking XP

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 10, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 5/5 | 3 barter

We stomp our way through no man's land, our boots on the ground. I can feel the adrenaline pumping, and so can my bois. We're pushing almost as far as the first enemy sandbags. I can almost see the white of their eyes when I hear Gonegirl calling me.

Heavy artillery. gently caress yeah, exactly what it takes to push through an encamped enemy like this one. I give her the signal and tell my bois to prepare themselves. "Once Gonegirl's cracked through, we push in, mop up whatever survived the 'thrower and make a push for the main camp." I grin, and they probably can see an hint of ferocity. I'm not going to lie, I find it pretty satisfying to cook these bastards using the weapons they wanted to bring to bear against me. But I mustn't let it get to my head. Not now. Not in front of the troops, especially.

quote:

Assault a secure position with the stomper = (6+4)+2 = 12
I choose to inflict terrible harm, take little harm and force my way into the enemy's position .
The walker's stats are: Massive 2 armor 3, everything else 0, mg (2harm close/far area messy) flamethrower (4harm close area messy)
If I am not mistaken the gang should take 5 harm and the walker 1.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I wasn't expecting this reaction, but now that I think about it, it makes sense. The Stonechildren might have caused us some serious trouble, but nobody wants to see another human being burned alive. Well, most people don't. But this is no excuse to slow down, not now that we have a chance of breaking the siege.
"Forward!" I shout, climbing over the sandbags and marching forward, careful not to get caught in the fires.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Deep breaths. Scan the battlefield. Try not to worry about the fulltrack for now: it's plenty distracted for now, what with Scarlet on it and all. Let's also not think about why Scarlet is there. We can worry about that later.

We gotta keep this momentum going. If we break their back now, they are not going to dare to set foot in Warerway again. We just need the right target...

quote:

I got a miss on my Read the Sitch roll, but I still get to ask "who is most vulnerable to me?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Cool=0| Hard+2| Hot+1| Sharp+1| Weird=0

I look around, and I blink a couple of times. I can't believe it. We've done it. They're broken. There is only those looters down there, and the fulltrack, but judging from the way it's limping along like a dying gator I'd say that Scarlet plugged most of its crew. What did I even agree to pay her? She's getting a drat tip, that's for cert-

And that's when the cannon on the fulltrack shatters the air so hard even the roughest of my roughbois wince. My ears are still ringing when I turn and check the damage. The walker turned into a fuel fountain and Gonegirl's burning. Let that be a lesson in what happens if you get distracted, I tell myself as I feel the familiar gnawing of guilt.

"Jay-Jay, Leo! Go pick up Gonegirl, kill the fire and then get her out of here! Nitro, check if Ray's okay in that stomper! Rood, same for Scarlet! I want an update on their sitch, pronto! Everyone else, with me!" We fall on the supply raiders, bristling with weaponry and full of resentment. This is not a good time to be them.

"Drop the weapons, leave the loot and beat it, shitheads. We're taking this stuff as reparations for your invasion."
I can't quite contain a grin. "We have the best deals in Waterway. Trust me, this is as good as you're going to get it."

quote:

Got an 11 on my Go Aggro roll. They can either suck it up or cave in.
Also, last post I got enough XP to advance. I'm picking up +1 Cool. And now I mark XP again for having rolled Hard.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 14, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 2/5 | 3 barter

The fulltrack.
Waterway.
...oh no you don't.
I don't have time to think or plan. I just grab a string of grenades I can see poking out of a weapons crate as I bark "Find meds! Help the wounded!" before racing towards that piece of poo poo fulltrack. The world is a blur except for that monster.

"HEY!" I scream with every ounce of breath I can muster, as soon as I am close enough to be heard. "GET OUT OF THAT! GET OUT OF THAT RIGHT NOW OR I SWEAR I'LL BLOW YOU TO PIECE WITH YOUR OWN GRENADES, STONE SCUM!"

quote:

Got a 7 on my Go Aggro roll. The driver has a bunch of option on what to do. I also mark XP.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 18, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 3:00| 1-armor | XP: 2/5 | 3 barter

Breathe. Breathe. It's done, the danger is passed. The adrenalise is still tingling in my arms as I nod at the god damned thing. Some part of me was hoping to get the fulltrack too, maybe repurpose the cannon for a defensive tower or something, but whatever. A win's a win and it's not worth getting run over.
"Deal. Crawl back to whatever hole you scurried off from and I don't blow you to pieces. Tell your fellow stonesuckers that if I find any of them in Waterdeep, they're gator food. Now beat it."

I turn towards Scarlet, then towards what she's pointing at. It's a puddle, but...
Oh god. Do they have something else? A stomper? Another fulltrack? But where? We've pretty much cleared them out.

It couldn't be... no. Not now, not after I've done so much to protect it. My eye is twitching. I signal the closest boi. "You. Get this stuff back in Waterway. Tell them to stay ready to bolt. We might have a situation."

Okay. Deep breaths now. Deep breaths. Close your eyes. Listen. Destroyers are hard to miss, on both sides of Mother's door.

quote:

I opened my mind and got a 5. Whoops.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harm: 6:00| 1-armor | XP: 2/5 | 3 barter

I blink several times as I slowly return to consciousness. God drat Mother and her visions. The world looks watery and smudged, like I'm watching it through a distorted glass. And... pink? There's a pink tint over everything. I rub my eyes. It's blood. Blood and... tears, I'd guess. Lovely.
I look up and-

...this is the first time I see a Destroyer up close. Well. Relatively up close.

...when I was younger, I used to ask people that saw Destroyers what they were like, back before I knew better than to poke at people's scars like that. Of course, I'd get plenty of different descriptions. Destroyers are different one from the other, and people even more so; plus, people who are standing close enough to a Destroyer to get a good look aren't generally in the best mental state. Not just for the obvious reason, but because the Maelstorm screams something fierce when they are nearby.

One thing that they all agreed upon? Was that they couldn't describe it. That words weren't enough to capture the immensity of them. This- this is beyond me. This is beyond anything I can do, anything I can muster. I could take every vehicle and every stomper and everything the Stonechildren have and throw it at this thing and it wouldn't even feel them.

I am Vaya. Vaya is strong, but there are things in this world that are beyond strength.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I find myself some distance away form the Destroyer. My bois took me here. Makes a girl feel thankful for them.

But I can't keep my eye off that thing. It's... it's so big. The same fear that caught me before threatens to catch me again, and I feel it like a cold hand squeezing the air out of my chest. But I can't afford to lose my cool now. My bois need me. I raise my hand and close it.

"Hold position. Be ready."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

She's blinded it. Mother's mercy, against any notion of what is possible and what is not, Scarlet is actually holding her own against a Destroyer. I choose to focus on how to give her tactical support without having my people butchered, instead of the warmth that I'm feeling in the depths of my chest. Yep, totally ignoring that.

"Okay people, I want you to fan out. Keep your distance, but approach the creature from multiple angles. Take pot shots at it, keep it distracted from Scarlet. Let her do her job."

Her job. As if I had hired to take on a Destroyer. Can you put a price on something like that?

quote:

Got a 7 on my help roll, so Scarlet gets a +1 on her next roll.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Destroyer is dying.
The thing is, 'dying' doesn't mean 'dead'. I don't trust this thing to stay down unless we MAKE it stay down.
"Everyone, surround the beast! Keep your distance, and then, fire at will! I don't want it getting back up and thrashing around!"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The details I've got from what went down in the Works are hazy, and that's not just because of the bathtub gin. The rumors that have flocked here on the lips of travelers and merchants varied wildly, I assume because everyone gave what happened different meaning based on their own religious proclivities, tendency to exaggerate and pants-making GBS threads terror felt on the spot. What's for sure, is that whoever had stocked up on fuel is making some shiny jingle on selling it back. That's how the market is sometimes. A wily, moody bitch.

Not improving the effects of the gin is this guy. Joelbub, I think his name is. He's trying to fast talk his way out of trouble, but I know the type.

"We can talk biz after this, Joelbub. If it's robbers that you're worried about, you got nothing to fear in my market. My bois watch the place closely, and they are well armed. The rule is there for a reason; so people don't feel pressured into a bad deal by armed thugs."

I study his face carefully, looking for any sign of hidden resentment.

quote:

I got an 11 on my Read a Person roll, so I'm sitting on 3 hold for that. Marked experience.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| fancy rifle (3-harm far loud hitech)| 1-armor

I stand up from my chair and give the weapons an appraising look. I can't help but whistle in appreciation. These have some drat fine firepower. I wouldn't mind at all to see these bad bois traded in my market, they could bring quite a bunch of jingle with them... but that jingle doesn't mean anything if it goes to Stockards instead of us. Gotta play my cards right.

"Your gesture of goodwill is appreciated, Joelbub. To pay it back in kind, you and yours will face no other punishment beyond losing these weapons." I take one of the rifles for myself and gesture for one of my bois to take the rest. "Jay-Jay, get these out of the way for a sec."

I holster my new weapon and sit back down. "Alright, now we can talk business. You gotta understand, this is a trading hub. Our livelihood is the dealing and wheeling with our trading partners. Wood and materials from Woodhold, hi-tech and scrap from the Last Fleet, game and herbs from swamp-folks..." I look whistful for a moment. It's a very nice place that I've got going on here. But then I focus back on Joelbub.

"I can't accept a deal that's going to screw over my people. But I don't want to say no to your stuff. It's very nice." I pat my new rifle again. "So here's my counteroffer: you find buyers for your stuff here. You bring it here. You sell it. Waterway gets your goods, and you get jingle. Same as what you wanted, really, but without forcing us to choose between our other trading partners and you."

"That seems like a fair treatment, no?"

quote:

Using another hold to ask "How could I get you to accept the offer of just being one more trading partner?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

machete (3-harm hand messy)| shotgun (3-harm close messy)| fancy rifle (3-harm far loud hitech)| 1-armor

I tap my chin thoughtfully and let him stew a bit, but on the inside I'm pretty happy. The fish has taken the bait. Now to ensure he doesn't escape.

"I accept that. How long are you going to stay here? I don't have that much jingle on hand, but I think I can get it soon-ish."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

From the corner of my eye, I can see that Nonose and Even have noticed something. Of course more trouble pops up just as I have something else on my plate. For now, I nod at Joelbub and dismiss him with a gesture. Then I interrogate them. "Alright, you two. What's going on?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I look in the direction Nonose is pointing at, shielding my eyes from the sun with one hand. Sure enough, I can see several murder of crows in the air. I was so busy haggling with Joelbub that I didn't notice.
"You two have got good eyes." I comment. "It could be nothing, but it could be something. Go have a look-see, both of you, and let me know what you find. I have some business to do in the market, but if you find something that you think I should know, I want to hear right away, 'kay?

As they move eastwards, I make my way to the market. I can hear the buzzing of hagglers and the hollering of sellers before I even step in, and it's a comforting sound. It's maybe not the heard of Waterway, but it's certainly its lungs, breathing life into it and making the whole thing march forth.

If I wanted to step in with my weapons on, no one would say anything, but after this morning's situation with Joelbub, I want to set a good example. So I whistle for a guncaddy.

There comes Kiki, a bag, positively bristling with weaponry, with the faded logo of some kind of bird slung over her shoulders. Sometimes I worry about how young some of these little rascals are, and just how much firepower they drag around, but they do provide a valuable service, and their families need the jingle. I push a Woodhold token in her grubby fingers, I muss up her hair and then I immerse myself in the market, looking for opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I don't have anything against people making use of the Destroyer's carcass, but I don't think it's something I want to encourage quite yet.
"You got yourself a deal, Dinkum. Just let me gather an handful of boiz and I'll be with you."